Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Wild Magic Zones pre-Time of Troubles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  00:45:45  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've tried doing a few searches on wild magic zones and all I can find are locations dating after the Time of Troubles. Does anyone know of any canon wild magic zones dating before ToT? I'm particularly interested in ones in the Sword Coast north of Amn.

I'm thinking there might not be many (they don't seem to be well documented, leaving it open for DMs to use as they desire) and the ones that are known don't always seem stable or consistent.

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  00:55:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure that 99% -- if not all -- of the wild magic zones in the Realms were a result of the Time of Troubles.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  01:48:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myth Drannor and Shoonach immediately spring to mind. North of Amn is a bit trickier ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  12:55:22  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Pretty sure that 99% -- if not all -- of the wild magic zones in the Realms were a result of the Time of Troubles.

I thought that could be the answer.

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Myth Drannor and Shoonach immediately spring to mind. North of Amn is a bit trickier ...

-- George Krashos

Aaah, wonderful. Thankyou. I did get Amn/Tethyr mixed up (I thought Tethyr was north of Amn, not south). That's close enough for my purposes

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  17:09:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pre-ToT?
Within the ruins of Myth Drannor, one right outside Saharelgard, and there were some drifting ones in the lower levels of Undermountain. Those are just the ones I recall off the top of my head. Most of them were quite small (80 to 120 feet across at the largest).
Many caused at the spot of the destruction of an artifact or a staff (to unleash a retributive strike), according to Ed as my DM.
love,
THO
Edit: I remembered another: in a cellar in northeastern Scornubel.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 05 Feb 2015 17:10:52
Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  23:19:14  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thankyou very much THO :) Greatly appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  08:07:43  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, that malfunctioning thingumabob under Ravens Bluff used to spit out some dead magic and wild magic bubbles.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  08:35:35  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Also, that malfunctioning thingumabob under Ravens Bluff used to spit out some dead magic and wild magic bubbles.

Ahh, the Annasherion, so much potential with that thingumabob.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  19:52:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2E FRA was the first canon source which published wild-magic zones (and wild mages) in the Realms, but not a lot of other 2E products made much use of them. 2E Players Option: Spells & Magic later fleshed out the rules and charts a bit, encouraging more use of wild magic, but didn't offer any new Realms-specific content. One thing both sources agreed on is that wild-magic zones tend to be volatile, unstable, and temporary - in general, even the largest wild-magic zones lose potency and fade away after a few years or decades. In addition, Mystran priests are strongly dedicated to stabilizing the Weave and persist in repairing any wild-/dead-magic areas they encounter.

2E Arcane Ages products (especially Netheril: Empire of Magic) passingly mentioned Mystryl-era (pre-Mystra and pre-Midnight) wild magic as an exotic and experimental new form of magic which attracted a few dabbling arcanists. (No wild arcanists are named, but the context implies they were as rare as those dedicated to peripheral fields like shadow magic and spelljamming.) The fall of Netheril (and Mystryl) was described as creating wild-magic fallout similar to that described in subsequent ToT and Spellplague events. If any of these Netheril-era wild-magic zones still exist circa 2E Realms, I think they would probably be found somewhere near the sites of crashed enclaves (ie: scattered pretty much anywhere in the North or buried in the Anauroch).

2E Van Richten's Guide to Liches described wild liches, even more insane and powerful than "common" liches, and able to channel wild magic into impressive power rituals. Although written primarily for Ravenloft, it is a fine product for adding definition to powerful liches in the Realms - especially some of the ancient remnants who were Netherese arcanists in life.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  20:44:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FRA had wild magic, but not wild mages. Those were in the 2E Tome of Magic. And I still think that was the best version of them, too. Later versions just haven't had as much of that chaotic spark.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 Mar 2015 20:46:36
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  03:55:59  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

FRA had wild magic, but not wild mages. Those were in the 2E Tome of Magic. And I still think that was the best version of them, too. Later versions just haven't had as much of that chaotic spark.

Tome of Magic had some pretty cool wild magic spells.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000