Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 To reboot or not reboot?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  05:49:15  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Candlekeep community,

I can never tell with my 15 years of Forgotten Realms DM experience if I am an old hat or a newbie, considering how old the setting really is.

Anyways. I started running the Realms in 2e just before 3e hit, so most of my "glory days" were running in the 3e Realms. I read the "Return of the Archwizards" trilogy in college and was a dedicated Realmsian from then on. I had a one-night stand with Eberron, but it meant nothing to me and I've committed myself to the Realms ever since.

Like most, I was shocked and dismayed by the Spellplague. If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have adopted it, but I still had this childlike trust of WotC and decided to go with it. We all endured the fact all the stories and characters we'd made were dead or useless and moved on.

OK actually we maybe played twice between 4e and 5e. We just couldn't stomach the new Realms and I didn't have the wherewithal to just reject it then.

When 5e playtesting started, we jumped aboard. We were particularly excited about this Sundering business and a return to the "realms you knew and loved" as Ed himself described it.

Time has passed with no setting and now we are hearing the devs can't even be bothered with working on it at the present time. We are a little ticked, to say the least.

We are currently running my own tweaked version of the Rise of Tiamat campaign (I imagine it differs vastly from the published version actually.)

Long ago in my Faerun one of my players actually became a lesser god. When the Spellplague hit, I wrote in that this demigod foresaw the tragedy and sealed himself in the demiplane of Time to avoid it and disappeared from the pantheon. I did this for two reasons. 1. To fit with the "less is more" of 4e, yuck. and 2. to create a plot device if I ever needed to undo this nonsense.

We are seriously considering undoing this nonsense.

The agonizing decision lies in this: if the 5e book is really good (and the 5e stuff I've seen so far IS really good IMO) I'd hate to miss out on it.

However, it may be years away, and some say with the WotC team continuing to downsize and avoid the question of a FRCS book it may be never. It also may suck. If that's the case, we want to roll back the timeline to 1375 DR (where we left off) and just forge ahead with never-the-mind to WotC and their machinations.

There is no place on the internet with more love for the Realms than this place. I entertain your opinions, what do you think? What would you do?

Putting it another way, who here is waiting for the 5e book and who here has told WotC to stick it and do their own Realms (be it Grey Box, 2e, 3e, or otherwise)?

Jesus said, "I am the Ressurection and the Life. Anyone who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and those who live and believe in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  06:09:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm waiting for the 5E campaign book. And despite all the naysayers, I don't think it's that far off -- I'd be surprised if we don't have, at the very least, a release date announced at GenCon. Actually, I think they'll debut the book, then.

Ed told me himself, in a private email exchange, that he was excited about what was coming. If the creator of the setting, in a scenario where he is free to speak his mind, says he's excited, that's enough for me.

Now, all that aside... It is my personal preference that WotC reset back to right after Cloak & Dagger came out, and relaunch the setting from that point -- which would include changing/omitting some of the things that followed. There are issues with that approach, though, so even though it is what I want, I'm not blaming them for not taking that approach.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  06:19:27  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just keep playing what you enjoy playing. You're already running a modified version of arise of Tiamat, so there's no reason why you can't fold in juicy bits from a 5E Realms campaign book if or when such a book is released.

Keep it simple, keep it fun and don't worry about what WotC will or won't do.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 01 Feb 2015 06:19:59
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  06:36:21  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A new 5e campaign setting would introduce new lore, so I'd never truly back away, in that sense.

Until then, my Forgotten Realms relies upon my treasury of Realms material and the lore that has been gathered from the old Realms-list and here at Candlekeep. As far as I'm concerned, the Spellplague never happened. So basically, from 4e onward, I've been picking and choosing what is let into my version of the Realms. Some of that picking and choosing occurred in 2e and 3e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  12:01:18  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always reboot.

New realms is a tasteless pseudo setting with no firm detail that doesnt even exist yet and there are no plans for its existence.

Im gonna write my ownalternate campaign setting and chuck out the chaff that WoTC has introduced over the last 10 years. Anyone want to help?

Down with WoTC.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  14:30:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Always reboot.

New realms is a tasteless pseudo setting with no firm detail that doesnt even exist yet and there are no plans for its existence.

Im gonna write my ownalternate campaign setting and chuck out the chaff that WoTC has introduced over the last 10 years. Anyone want to help?

Down with WoTC.

Since you insist on bashing WotC at every opportunity, why don't you back it up? Where did anyone say there there no plans at all for a new campaign book?

Also, how can it be tasteless and non-existent at the same time?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  14:51:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fiction and WotC's simplified version of Paizo's adventure paths now drive the FR product line. In such a dynamic environment how and when would they stop the bus to undertake the massive undertaking that is the 5E FRCS? This is especially so as they have insufficient in house designers to do it alone. In that environment, a re-boot is impossible in my view. Similarly, I struggle to see where an FRCS fits in WotC's product mindset. If they haven't started work on it now - and I have no knowledge of that one way or the other - then a GENCON 2015 release date is pie in the sky stuff.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  15:56:26  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, their adventure paths have been pretty lore light. Hopefully they refine the process as they go. It'd be nice to see them add a Gazetteer to each book (done by Ed of course), but if all adventure paths are to be held in the Sword Coast that wouldn't really mesh well. This is just a guess of mine, but I think Ed has been working on the 5E FRCS (or whatever form it will take). I just hope whatever direction WotC goes with its "experiments", doesn't kill the chance of us seeing one.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  17:34:23  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Fiction and WotC's simplified version of Paizo's adventure paths now drive the FR product line. In such a dynamic environment how and when would they stop the bus to undertake the massive undertaking that is the 5E FRCS? This is especially so as they have insufficient in house designers to do it alone. In that environment, a re-boot is impossible in my view. Similarly, I struggle to see where an FRCS fits in WotC's product mindset. If they haven't started work on it now - and I have no knowledge of that one way or the other - then a GENCON 2015 release date is pie in the sky stuff.

-- George Krashos

Paizo has released a Golarion CS despite having a way more dynamic environment, though. It is not out of place IMO, it would increase immersion for the people who want to play in their adventures. It is also a fundemantal product to define the identity of the setting, so that people who want to use or know the Realms have a unique, official and comprehensive source to refer to. With their recent ''brand'' focus, it would be weird to not strengthen it, and a CS looks like the best tool to reinforce the identity of the Realms as a D&D world (or possibly ''the'' D&D world, even though they said that there's no official setting anymore...).

And yet, their silence and PR talking is not encouraging at all on this matter.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 01 Feb 2015 17:35:40
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  18:12:25  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan
And yet, their silence and PR talking is not encouraging at all on this matter.

That is what worries me as well. Back in 2012-2013 we heard lots and lots about the Sundering. There were panels with the authors, snippets, and the like. All of it promised the moon and beyond to us Realms fans, and it was all very encouraging.

Then the release of 5e was upon us, and naturally everyone was like, "This is great! OK so when's the Realms book coming out?"

And WotC says, "Realms book? Nah, we haven't even been thinking about a Realms book. Why, do you need one?"

Yeah, it's true that even old Ed himself was super excited about it two years ago, but has anyone heard from him since the Herald? Is there any real evidence that WotC even plans to follow through with all of that grandeur they hashed out two years ago?

Then there are the novels. We were promised a "Sundering" storyline that would show us how the multiverse re-aligned itself, how AO rewrote the Tablets of Fate and how everything was being "fixed." While I did not read them myself, I've read the summaries here and it seems like instead of that we got more of the same boring and uninteresting stories about Elminster and assorted Chosen using their god-like powers to lay low any villains in their path. Great.

During the playtest, I could tweet Mearls and get a response back within days. Now my questions fall on deaf ears. Not encouraging.

If a super great book is coming like what they promised back in 2012, then I'll wait for it. If, however, they've rethought their position and decided its not worth the effort, I can dust off my 3rd edition Realms book, open a time warp, and pick up where we left off.

Jesus said, "I am the Ressurection and the Life. Anyone who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and those who live and believe in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"

Edited by - Baptor on 01 Feb 2015 18:16:02
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  18:53:16  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Baptor. I fully believe that Ed was excited 2 years ago, based on what he was promised. But we all know something about business here. In the span of 2 years, a lot can change. Maybe WOTC has become unwilling, or unable, to produce the money needed to launch 5E FR properly.

George Krashos mentions novels driving the product line. If true, that's a disaster for WOTC, because unless your novelists sell like J.K. Rowling, nobody can survive off 5 novel releases a year. Ed and RAS sell well, but they can't carry the entire brand by themselves. The only other author even getting published right now is Erin Evans. (I know Denning has something in the works, but when is it coming?)

If the setting is going to be so heavily novel driven, they need at LEAST 1 novel release per month. They need to bring Kemp, Cunningham, and other old favorites back into the fold. And they need to give young studs like De Bie, Johnson, and Pratt a chance to shine.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  19:28:09  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The next FR campaign book won't be designed in house. If I had to put my money anywhere, it would be a 3PP that has an agreement in place with WotC--such as Kobold Press. They've done a lot for FR already in regards to 5e. I'm sure Ed will be the primary guy involved.

I would support this too.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  19:31:27  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

The next FR campaign book won't be designed in house. If I had to put my money anywhere, it would be a 3PP that has an agreement in place with WotC--such as Kobold Press. They've done a lot for FR already in regards to 5e. I'm sure Ed will be the primary guy involved.

I would too. As long as we get a good FRCS and all the cool FR stuff that they've been talking about, I'll be happy.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  20:34:21  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you like the 5th edition rules, just use the new 5th edition products, use what lore you think fits YOUR time period, and run the game in whatever time period you want. Forge ahead if you want, or let your epic players drive where the realms goes in your time period. I don't think ANYONE here knows what is coming for the realms in the next few years but I think we all CAN say that the golden age is over, the days of book upon book upon book of lore to detail a new edition FRCS , if there is an FRCS are long gone. Love what you have, use what you love, what you have.
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  21:18:24  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't suggest to anyone they wait for the 5e setting book. Not that I think it won't come - if I were to bet, I'd say a setting book for FR will eventually come in one way or the other, be it in two or ten years. It's still too strong in the roleplaying sector, and likely to remain so, for the brand owners to simply forget about it.

I wouldn't suggest anyone wait because it seems rather pointless. As others have commented, set your game whenever you want, and when a new setting book comes you can decide what's best for you. Deciding it before it comes will, with almost 100% certainty, result in a worse deal for you.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  21:45:21  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mapolq

I wouldn't suggest to anyone they wait for the 5e setting book. Not that I think it won't come - if I were to bet, I'd say a setting book for FR will eventually come in one way or the other, be it in two or ten years. It's still too strong in the roleplaying sector, and likely to remain so, for the brand owners to simply forget about it.

I wouldn't suggest anyone wait because it seems rather pointless. As others have commented, set your game whenever you want, and when a new setting book comes you can decide what's best for you. Deciding it before it comes will, with almost 100% certainty, result in a worse deal for you.

Good advice, the only issue is that we feel stuck in Limbo. We are trying to make our way through a setting with no published book. We clearly aren't in the Spellplague now, but we know next to nothing about the post-Sundering world because almost nothing has been printed.

If I start making broad strokes now, then they may be invalidated by the 5e book, whenever it arrives. This irks me and my players, because outside of printed modules, we don't know what we are working with here. Sure we can make it up, but at that point we are running a splinter Realms and if we are going to part with canon we'd rather do it by going back to our preferred version of the setting, you know?

We are a group that isn't hardcore canon nor hardcore homebrew. We like more or less staying with the canon with minor tweaks the players introduce. There is a certain validity to it we enjoy.

But the canon in 4e has gotten so messed up we hardly care, except that WotC is waiving its hands promising they will fix it. So the question remains, do we trust them and wait, or do we ditch them and go with homebrew Realms?

At this point, we are still undecided.

My point in this thread was to find the people who are homebrewing and ask, why did you ditch the canon Realms, and are you happy with what you did?

To those that are sticking out the canon, why are you doing that? How are you running the in-between Realms right now?

Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  22:00:12  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
P.S. There is also the thread below, indicating that instead of working on a FR sourcebook, WotC is focusing efforts on an entirely new campaign setting instead. Not a lot to go on, but if true, it would not be good news.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?409052-Is-Chris-Perkins-Working-On-A-New-D-amp-D-Setting

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  23:18:26  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myself, I'm not exactly "sticking to Canon" as it were. My current Campaign is set in 1490 DR, and I'll jump forward and backwards in time as campaign ideas come to mind. I do like to incorporate new lore if I can, but what I've done thus far is thus:
Anything pre-Spellplague, with the exception of one eight real world years long game I ran in the late 1380's, happened, but what's written in the books and novels is just one point of view. What actually happened is up to me, and if what happened becomes relevant to my current game, I'll flesh it out then.
I've been moving forward since I ran Murder in Baldur's Gate. Other adventure modules and such get folded in as recent events or rumors as they are released. How the events of Hoard of the Dragon Queen play out are to be determined by my PC's in a future play through. If questions are asked at taverns, etc, I'll make something up. It's all just gossip anyway.
If a future Realms supplement catches my, or my player's attention, and it really buggers the events that have already taken place, we'll just play through it in an alternate dimension of Faerun where plots and events unfold in a way that makes incorporation of those events enjoyable. If they decide they like the new alternate dimension better, we'll keep playing in it until we decide to go dabble in the other version of the world again. If we decide to blend the two dimensions, Modify Memory is a wonderful spell, and advanced versions of it make lots of things possible.
So, in short, I really don't see how "canon conflicting with what I played at home" really has any impact beyond a personal preference. I'll either sample what I like and incorporate it, or I'll ignore it and keep having fun.
And having fun is what I've been doing with the 5E Realms. I've got tons of 2E material to pull from for history, inspiration, and ideas, and a nice, fresh, new blank slate to dabble in where I don't need to deal with players who can't separate player and character knowledge. (Not that I can't deal with that issue, I can and have, but it is nice to not have to worry about it for now.)

I'll definitely get a 5E Sourcebook if/when one is published. But it's not hurting me at all not having one, and it doesn't have to hurt anyone else's gameplay, unless they choose to allow it.

All that said, yes, I want a sourcebook. Or at least a series of articles from Ed detailing the current state of the Realms. Not for gameplay, but reference. If I want to incorporate current events in a given novel, I'd like a sourcebook to look up rather than skim back through several novels for tidbits. I want the convenience.
Also, for the sake of new Realms fans, I want to be able to point them to a physical tome in my FLGS. Ed Greenwood Presents does a great job as a Realms handbook, but it needs companion books for the various cultures so a DM can dive into Cormyr in detail, or Thay, or wherever. Right now, I'm pointing people to DriveThruRPG's pdf store with digital versions of the Volo's Guides and such, or Amazon if they really want a physical copy, but lots of people want physical tomes. It would even be nice to see a deluxe reprint of the Volo's Guides or some of the more popular sourcebooks and adventures, like they have already done with the older editions' core books.

But all of those things don't spell "Must have a FRCS." It just spells resources more readily available.

Like others have said, keep playing what you enjoy. Support what you like. Have fun.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  00:43:32  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
all I will say about he opost is that the reboot/non reboot has been beaten the the grave, raised and beaten again. it is now a fully undead horse

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  05:38:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baptor

P.S. There is also the thread below, indicating that instead of working on a FR sourcebook, WotC is focusing efforts on an entirely new campaign setting instead. Not a lot to go on, but if true, it would not be good news.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?409052-Is-Chris-Perkins-Working-On-A-New-D-amp-D-Setting

I didn't read the entire discussion, but what little I saw did not indicate a new campaign setting. A new project could be pretty much anything, including a relaunch of an older, long-defunct setting like Mystara.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  05:42:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Part of why I think we're going to hear something at GenCon is because we generally get a new FR book soon after a new edition, and because they've got to announce something -- they can't simply coast on the 5E core books.

They've mentioned bringing back the old feel, they've continued publishing novels in the setting, they've got more novels in the pipeline, and there's a new ruleset -- for me, that all points to a new campaign book.

Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  06:28:36  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Baptor

I didn't read the entire discussion, but what little I saw did not indicate a new campaign setting. A new project could be pretty much anything, including a relaunch of an older, long-defunct setting like Mystara.

I suppose my real point is that what they are saying indicates they are not working on a FR book now and are focusing their efforts on other things, whatever those things are.
Either WotC is way off from making a Realms book or they are intentionally misleading us so they can spring a surprise at GenCon. If that's the case I suppose that will be OK but its also not very good marketing IMO.

Gah for all my rage I'll guess I'll wait and see what they produce. If it's terrible (and it's not likely to be as long as they don't betray their original intentions) then I can always retcon my setting.

There are some people who've argued settings don't truly become ours until TSR/WotC considers them dead and stops tinkering with them. Maybe there's something to that.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  06:58:36  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's entirely possible for WotC to be working on something in house, while a third party works on the Realms.

Note also there are plenty of Realms novels out there--meaning there is already a lot of material to draw from for running a current era campaign.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  12:17:00  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Matt, that's an interesting idea there, and I can see that happening with regards to not just FR, but other campaign settings as well in the future.

I do have one worry however when it comes to 3PP handling of prior edition campaign settings, and I posted this over on Enworld:

The more long-term people that WotC loses, they're eventually going to run into a problem with loss of institutional knowledge regarding older setting material, making it significantly harder to create material for those (even if the text is being written by freelancers, because you still need editors well enough versed in those settings to be able to fact check versus published material). When I've referenced prior edition material I've always added comments and page numbers from sources used, but there's always a risk in publishing DL/RL/Planescape/etc material that is out of print for an edition or two and no longer having anyone on staff that wrote for those settings or is as intimately familiar with them to know for when they're editing freelancer material when one freelancer is obsessive and perfectionist about the content versus another who isn't.

FR I think would have less of an issue in this regard because any 3PP working on it would presumably have Greenwood on board. But others I genuinely worry that there could come a point where WotC could lack sufficient in-house knowledge of a given setting to properly oversee 3PP material.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  12:37:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy

quote:

Matt, that's an interesting idea there, and I can see that happening with regards to not just FR, but other campaign settings as well in the future.

I do have one worry however when it comes to 3PP handling of prior edition campaign settings, and I posted this over on Enworld:

The more long-term people that WotC loses, they're eventually going to run into a problem with loss of institutional knowledge regarding older setting material, making it significantly harder to create material for those (even if the text is being written by freelancers, because you still need editors well enough versed in those settings to be able to fact check versus published material). When I've referenced prior edition material I've always added comments and page numbers from sources used, but there's always a risk in publishing DL/RL/Planescape/etc material that is out of print for an edition or two and no longer having anyone on staff that wrote for those settings or is as intimately familiar with them to know for when they're editing freelancer material when one freelancer is obsessive and perfectionist about the content versus another who isn't.

FR I think would have less of an issue in this regard because any 3PP working on it would presumably have Greenwood on board. But others I genuinely worry that there could come a point where WotC could lack sufficient in-house knowledge of a given setting to properly oversee 3PP material.

Must not post something negative and about recently released adventures that highlights your concern perfectly.

I share your concerns though.

Down with WoTC

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  12:49:02  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find it strange that all the designers who made the Realms great back in 2E haven't been engaged to bring the Realms back with a bang. If there's ever a Cormyr sourcebook, Garen Thal should be writing it etc. They have great talent they can tap, it's just strange not seeing them do it.

As far as I can tell, the two guys (Perkins and Baker) who blew the whole place up in 4E are somehow still involved with the setting. One works at WotC and the other is doing the next adventure path. That I don't understand. And if I'm incorrect, I apologize, but that's what I saw.

WotC needs folks who are true to the original vision of the Realms and who have the chops to write it as such. It's what made the Realms great in the first place. Please note I'm not trying to pick a fight or start a flamewar, this is just my opinion.

Edited by - Eilserus on 02 Feb 2015 13:28:50
Go to Top of Page

qstor
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2015 :  17:24:00  Show Profile Send qstor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd bet that WOTC is doing setting books anymore just articles and adventures from 3PP

Mike

"There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom" G'Kar

http://www.twitter.com/qstor2
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2015 :  21:55:21  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol, "my" Realms are in a perpetual state of 1366 DR.
And when Thor smashes his hammer there is thunder and lightning.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2015 :  22:03:36  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh btw, why not have your party time travel to, say, 1340 DR?
Go to Top of Page

Mr Dark
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2015 :  20:01:44  Show Profile Send Mr Dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've rebooted more times than I dare to count. Usually it is after a campaign ends and there is time between them to explore new ideas or options. Since my 5e game started I reset to 1372 with some changes to the ToT and a new dynamic on gods. If a new book comes out I will likely get it but since I was not a fan of the Spellplague I can see myself cherry picking from the contents.

Canon stops where the table begins.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2015 :  02:23:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm always curious about what changes folk make to the Time of Troubles.

Care to elaborate?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000