Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fifth Edition Feedback Survey
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  05:03:03  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Don't say Wizards never asked us our opinion.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/fifth-edition-feedback-survey
quote:
From Wizards.com
The launch of fifth edition D&D has been a resounding success, due in no small part to the feedback and insight we gained from nearly 200,000 playtesters. We are committed to keeping Dungeon Masters and players involved in the game’s ongoing evolution.

Now that you've had a few months to play the new edition, we are launching a series of regular surveys to assess how the game is working and spot areas that the R&D team needs to look at for rules issues. Please take the time to fill out our first feedback survey. It covers character classes and feats. Future surveys will touch on other areas of the game. We’ll also launch more detailed surveys of classes or feats as needed to refine the information we gather and better understand your feedback.

Thanks for helping us make the launch of fifth edition such a success. The launch was just the beginning, and we hope you join us in continuing the make fifth edition a success.

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  08:36:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wizards never asked us our opinion.

Couldnt resist.

Just cos they asked our opinion (not that i ever looked at 5e or filled in the survey) doesnt mean they listened or learned anything, and nor do i care anymore, down with WoTC.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  10:17:18  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took the survey. I gave mostly positive revirws, well besides the Ranger which I feel is really underpowered and too situational compared to the other classes.

I like the direction in spell casting, bounded accuracy, and feats. I wasn't a huge fan of the way they handled magic items. I like the "less is more" focus this edition is exhibiting compared to 3e and 4E (because I still play those so variety is good). I was a fan of Dragonborn and Tieflings and the Monk's element of the 4 winds path.

Overall a sound core system.
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  11:12:35  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was hoping the Survey would have a comments section, but I'm glad they are seeking feedback. To me what I've seen of the system looks good, but unless they release some form of digital offering of their core books my gaming group won't be changing over. It's a shame, because I think the system would be a refreshing one to run, and it'd be something new and different to be giving WotC money again. Guess we'll see, in the meantime maybe I can convince my group to play OSRIC or Swords and Wizardry or something when we aren't playing Pathfinder.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  12:31:58  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So this is the method they're using...

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Corwyn the Errant
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  12:56:14  Show Profile  Visit Corwyn the Errant's Homepage Send Corwyn the Errant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While they lost me as a customer after 3.5 {my group is happily playing the Realms with the Pathfinder rules. Never bothered with 4e}, I'm glad to see them looking for feedback. Now, the big question is, will they pay any mind to it, or will it end up as lip service. I'm curious to see which it will be...
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  13:02:35  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Took the survey. Mostly positive, mostly the same as Diffan except for the magic item part. This survey definitely is in line with the feedback they asked for during the playtest, and I expect tweaks will continue to be made to keep in the spirit of the living rules they've talked about. As long as living rules means "if X has been a problem for your group, here's Y solution," I'll be happy. Otherwise, it's a wait & see. I'd prefer to not have a 5.5 edition, but it won't be a deal breaker if there is.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  14:27:42  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm such a D&D fanboy, and I don't ever hide it. I love 5e.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  14:53:23  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D&D 5e made me jump back from Pathfinder.

I feel like concepts are actually easier to model, even though the rules are much lighter.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

TaeghenAmalith
Acolyte

Italy
28 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  18:08:06  Show Profile Send TaeghenAmalith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

Same for me. When I opened the Player Handbook and looking at the Fighter I've seen no Attack Bonus +1 with the level I was astonished.
But when I saw advantage/disadvantage rule I was completely conquered.

DnD 5th Edition is a beautiful system and yes, is better than Pathfinder and 3.5 and I hope it brings to WOTC sufficient money to see a lot o FR products
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  22:39:37  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TaeghenAmalith

quote:

Same for me. When I opened the Player Handbook and looking at the Fighter I've seen no Attack Bonus +1 with the level I was astonished.

Well the proficiency bonus replaces Attack Bonus. The real significant difference between the Fighter and every other class is, of course, the amount of attacks they get. Spellcasters get Cantrips (which scale with character level) and 1 attack (sans TWF). Melee-oriented classes like the Paladin, Barbarian, and Monk get 2 attacks (again, sans TWF). The Fighter, however, gets 3 per turn at 11th level or 6! per turn with Action Surge. So far in our games Fighters have been pretty significant contributors. I wish they still got a way to "Mark" people but that's an optional rule in the DMG, which I don't own yet.

quote:

But when I saw advantage/disadvantage rule I was completely conquered.

Yea I love this rule too.

quote:

DnD 5th Edition is a beautiful system and yes, is better than Pathfinder and 3.5 and I hope it brings to WOTC sufficient money to see a lot o FR products

I think it's different enough than Pathfinder and v3.5 to make it worth the investment. It is easier to run and there's less dynamic features on a round-to-round basis that gives the impression of quicker combat and faster resolution. Whether that's better or worse is subjective. I still enjoy 4E over both but I'm realizing that the only things keeping me tethered to v3.5 and Pathfinder is the free-rules, the system-mastery I've gained over both, and the ease of making characters I've had (a skill honed over these past 15 years). I'm comfortable with v3.5 so it's hard to leave it wholesale for 5E. I figured I might as well just play v3.5/Pathfinder, 4E, AND 5E and just rotate the campaigns. Win-Win
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  03:13:42  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gave 5e high marks in that this survey. Although, this is hardly the first time this edition WotC asked for player feedback. If anyone is interested in how WotC used the play test feedback you can watch a video of Mike Mearls and Rodney Thompson doing a presentation on it here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdz_lMt-nLw. I thought it was interesting to see how filling out the surveys impacts design.

I enjoy playing and more importantly for me running in this system. I absolute agree that advantage and disadvantage are a great addition to D&D. I thing in general replacing small bonus with additional dice is easier. I rarely see players forget the bless spell or the bard's inspiration. I am a little concerned about the druid's wild shape once it becomes unlimited, but I want to see that in action before I judge it. Also, the ranger does seem a little behind the curve. I think hunter is playable, but you need to work at it.

There are a few build options out there that I would like to see added like some more sorcerous origins and cleric domains. However, I can find plenty of fun builds with just the core.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

TaeghenAmalith
Acolyte

Italy
28 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  11:39:08  Show Profile Send TaeghenAmalith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

quote:

Well the proficiency bonus replaces Attack Bonus. The real significant difference between the Fighter and every other class is, of course, the amount of attacks they get. Spellcasters get Cantrips (which scale with character level) and 1 attack (sans TWF). Melee-oriented classes like the Paladin, Barbarian, and Monk get 2 attacks (again, sans TWF). The Fighter, however, gets 3 per turn at 11th level or 6! per turn with Action Surge. So far in our games Fighters have been pretty significant contributors. I wish they still got a way to "Mark" people but that's an optional rule in the DMG, which I don't own yet.

Can you give me references on the manual about this rules you are talking about? What do you mean with TWF? I need references because I'm at the very initial phase of learning rules and there are many thing I've missed even because of the language barrier.

(You can do it by PM if is OT)

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  12:34:44  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

quote:

Can you give me references on the manual about this rules you are talking about? What do you mean with TWF? I need references because I'm at the very initial phase of learning rules and there are many thing I've missed even because of the language barrier.

(You can do it by PM if is OT)

Thanks

TWF is short for Two-Weapon Fighting which allows you an extra attack with your bonus action. A Fighter, and only a Fighter, can make 3 attacks with their Action or 4 if they are fighting with Two-Weapons. They're the only class that can get this many attacks. If they use Action Surge, they can make 7 attacks per turn with Two-Weapon Fighting.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  18:24:28  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No place to complain about the lack of novels.
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  21:10:59  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too like what I've been able to see of the 5e system, and generally left positive feedback or skipped the question. My only negative feedback for 5e would be a lack of any digital option. Playing exclusively online with my groups, the lack of an option to buy an electronic version of the rules means we will not make the switch. The basic rules are ok for trying out the game, but not sufficient for switching the entire campaign over, and I'm not willing to pirate the game to get a PDF version. As pathfinder is our current system getting the group to change will be difficult enough even once a paid electronic option for the full rules exists, given Pathfinder's incredibly generous and expansive free SRD. Once the option exists I think I can convince my players to make the change, at least part time, to 5e but for now it's not going to happen.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000