Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Further 5E Core Products
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  01:05:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has there been any word about whether there are any further planned 5E core rulebooks this year? A Players Handbook 2? Something akin to the Complete X series?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  03:13:51  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No. The adventure that's coming out next is supposed to include the Genasi race, as well as a few others, some elemental spells.
Edit: from what I understand, thisthey are tying options into the adventurers. Eg, race options that are tied to the elements in an elemental themed adventure, spells with an elemental theme tied to the same adventure. Essentially, tweak the rules to fit a specific adventure theme. It isn't the way I would do it, but I see the reasoning behind it. If, as others point out, there isn't a lot of money in rpg books, then consolidate everything. You're already doing an adventure for organized play, tie your rules/class/race options into that.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 29 Jan 2015 13:18:15
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  04:48:42  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I've gleaned WotC is trying to move away from the splat - book treadmill. When content is introduced, most likely it will come from adventure supplements. Thus no PH2, DMG2, Complete Book of Elves, Martial Power, Complete Arcane, yadda-yadda. I don't particularly agree with this because I feel the biggest contributions to any edition come more from players and player - option books and not supplements geared towards DMs.

I'd love to see a book exploring alternative systems, new Paths for classes, spells, and rules on organizations (like we got in the v3.5 PH2 and DMG2). I just don't think that's in the cards this time around.
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  13:59:58  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing yet.

There was an 'Adventurer's Handbook' planned out and solicited to distributors, then cancelled recently. Some of the content will be merged into the Elemental Evil module, and part into a free download.

Additionally, WotC just laid off at least two staff members yesterday, so uncertain what that might mean for the rate of additional product.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  16:47:47  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They've said consistently that they are moving away from the splat-book model for 5e, and tying things in to semi-yearly themed releases. Like Delwa said, the next "campaign" is elemental themed, so they will be releasing themed player options, monsters, adventures, etc. Another example given is if they do a sea-faring campaign, they would include nautical player options, monsters, etc. I think (but don't have a reference handy) that they've also alluded to psionics being introduced the same way - an "aberrent" campaign would introduce psionic material (although some link it to Dark Sun as well).

Like many, I'm impatient for more game material, but I can understand the thought process at least.

And for the record, they have said that all the Elemental player options will be presented free for download. SOme will be included in the Elemental Evil campaign book, but there will also supposedly be free DLC that isn't in the book.

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  22:25:30  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rils

They've said consistently that they are moving away from the splat-book model for 5e, and tying things in to semi-yearly themed releases. Like Delwa said, the next "campaign" is elemental themed, so they will be releasing themed player options, monsters, adventures, etc. Another example given is if they do a sea-faring campaign, they would include nautical player options, monsters, etc. I think (but don't have a reference handy) that they've also alluded to psionics being introduced the same way - an "aberrent" campaign would introduce psionic material (although some link it to Dark Sun as well).

Like many, I'm impatient for more game material, but I can understand the thought process at least.

And for the record, they have said that all the Elemental player options will be presented free for download. SOme will be included in the Elemental Evil campaign book, but there will also supposedly be free DLC that isn't in the book.

This is what I have heard as well. Though I think there might be a problem if they include Feats here because none of the free content includes them (the core rules).
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  13:37:17  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can see the reasoning well enough behind the move away from the splat-book approach. Not a direction I intend to follow them in, since I find this storyline/adventures approach to be utterly useless to me. I won't spend the kind of money they want for these awful things when only a small fraction of it would be useful to me.

The free stuff is a nice touch, but if the free only deals with the basic rules (which is logical), then it's only partially useful.

A once-a-year splat, that offers options for ALL classes is what I'm looking for (in the vein of PFRPGs Advanced Player's Guide).

I'm liking 5e quite a lot, but unless they offer something other than these terrible and re-recycled adventure ideas, I don't see myself really spending much on it.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

rangerstranger
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2015 :  15:41:01  Show Profile Send rangerstranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm liking 5e a bunch too although my exposure is quite limited. My only grip about moving away from the splat-book approach is that all of the new races, class, class options, backgrounds, domains, feats, spells, equipment etc. will be scattered all over 666 layers of the abyss rather than collected in a single/few book(s). I am not particularly interested in the story/adventures going forward in the new forgotten realms. I don't want to derail this thread into where the realms is headed but there is a certain point in realms history I just cannot get past.

It would be nice if they'd compile all of the new class features into a single book every 5 or 6 adventures products or so. Maybe release a compendium type book every year or so.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  00:19:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah, I gotta say, except for a few modules, I wasn't all that interested in buying the modules (why, because players can find them online and read them). The rulesets though were much more important to me. So, if they're getting away from that model... wow, that just screams wrong to me from a business perspective.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  03:00:05  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is this news: Adventure Time Meets Dungeons And Dragons As Pendleton Ward Works On Wizards of The Coast Project.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  11:18:42  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’m forseeing a kid-friendly mobile app

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2015 :  04:24:46  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read a comment elsewhere suggesting it may be an animated TV show or web-series.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2015 :  04:28:28  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They said a D&D storyline, so it could be a VG, a show, one of their modules...

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000