Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Research: Building a FR Treasure Hoard
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2015 :  23:48:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hail, fellow scribes,

I'm compiling a list of some Forgotten Realms (so Faerun, Kara-tur, Maztica, wherever) treasures/items/knick-knacks that you might find in the treasure hoard of a well-traveled nobleman in a fairly large city in Faerun, say, on the southern edge of the Sea of Fallen Stars.

(And no, I can't say exactly why.)

Preferences:

1) Item is pre-existing/canonical, as in a thing you remember from FR/D&D video games, reading about in novels, or saw in sourcebooks, etc. Please cite sources.

2) Item has visual representation in sourcebooks and/or online (i.e. I can look at it, rather than just go by a description).

3) Item is fairly expensive or exotic, but not SUPREMELY so. King's Tears, for example, are probably a little too pricey for this particular noble.

4) Damaged/depowered magical items are fine.

So. What are your favorite Realmsy items? What iconic treasures scream "FR!" to you?

I really appreciate the help.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  00:22:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bit of a tall order... It's magic and spellbooks that get all the attention.

About the only thing I can think of, for knick-knacks, is some of the stuff in Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  00:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be an example of what I mean.

What's your favorite stuff from Aurora's?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  10:36:35  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Forgotten Realms Adventures" and the "Ruins of Myth Drannor" boxed set also have nice lists of non-magical items that are fine to add in a treasure trove. As some materials found in "Volo's Guide to All Things Magical". Maybe something built with one of these special dwarven metals from "Dwarves Deep".

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  16:27:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the sources, though I'm asking for specific suggestions. It's a chance to have particular input on . . . well this thing I'm doing.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  17:57:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just thought of an actual canon knick-knack. It's a joke reference to Clyde Caldwell and his artistic style.

From page 113 of The Wyvern's Spur, by Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb:

quote:

Giogi unwound the velvet cloth carefully, revealing a gleaming black statue of a beautiful woman. Her lithe and scantily clad formed was slightly arched, and her shapely arms were swept up over her head in a circle. Her face was round and pretty. Her lips were parted slightly, and her eyes were closed, like a woman waiting to be be surprised. The rest of her physical features Uncle Drone had once described as ample, though Aunt Dorath had argued they were scandalous.

Later on the same page it names the statue as being of Selūne, and done by Cledwyll, who gave it as a gift to Paton Wyvernspur, the family founder.

I later used that as inspiration for one of my Hooks, and had an artist whom I decided was an inspiration for Cledwyll.

That is, thus far, the only canon, non-generic, non-magical knick-knack I've been able to recall.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Jan 2015 17:57:40
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  18:26:55  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On page 224 of Volo's Guide to Cormyr, the entry for TSHARLURA of Blackthorne notes she's working on "a chest that drinks energy in a remote spot and emits it as heat and light."

I imagine a well-traveled noble not wanting to rely on the variable nature of lodgings for his personal comfort (read: ability to stay warm) would keep something like this, especially if Tsharlura or someone else perfected her magic and passed the knowledge down to others, who've either collected warming chests like these or made some of their own.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Maglubiyet
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  19:53:06  Show Profile Send Maglubiyet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(editing to keep this in one post)

There's an article in Dragon Magazine 179 called Seven Enlightening Lanterns by Stephen Giles, p. 26, about magical lanterns from the Realms. Each of the 7 entries has a history of the object, its last known sighting, as well as its own picture. Malthrox's Shadowcaster is interesting -- it creates a mentally-controlled shadowclone of a person that the light hits when activated. Goldmane's Dazzler is in the shape of a lion and when activated it projects a Cone of Force. (Ironically I just pulled this magazine out to sell on eBay. You are welcome to it if you can't find a copy.)

Imaskarcana: Faces of Magic on p. 87 of Dragon Magazine 281 lists 7 magical masks from the Realms with associated pictures. This is from 3e so the backstories are presented as potential "hooks" and not hard-and-fast canon material. Dhonas's Shroud grants some illusion abilities and looks neat. The Mask of Aberration is a twisted horror and probably wouldn't be in a respectable nobleman's collection, but it's got some great abilities (Passwall, Spider Climb, Polymorph, etc.)

Dragon Magazine 173 also has an article about several lesser staves of power in the Realms (A Wizard's Staff is to Lean On, by Ed Greenwood, p.30). The Staff of Spheres and Staff of the Moonglow are pretty cool. The Staff of Spheres creates bubbles around objects or people to transport them, not as a prison. It acts as a Feather Fall spell on a falling person. Staff of the Moonglow was created in Silverymoon and has a number of minor druid-like powers like Find the Path, Pass Without Trace, Faerie Fire, as well as being a +4 weapon when wielded in moonlight and has bonuses vs undead. Unfortunately the only picture in this article is a generic wizard with a staff next to the title.

As far as "iconic" Forgotten Realms items, I would go with:

Cormyrean Purple Knights sword, which has a picture on p.142 of the Magic of Faerun 3.5 edition.
Harper Pin - I can't find a picture yet, but I think I've seen them on the cover art of an old FR novel (the one where the Harpers battle a lich)

Edited by - Maglubiyet on 27 Jan 2015 20:35:51
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  20:32:29  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A dwarven "treasure" runestone with a gem in the center of it. [Dwarves Deep, has a runestone picture too]

Furniture crafted from Thayan blackwood that sometimes has a dark red grain. [Spellbound]

A foot tall silver tankard, chased and worked into a scene of flying birds and leaping dolphins. It bears and everbright dweomer, and does not corrode or react with any substance. [Undermountain page 59.]

Tharsult Statues: Far to the south, the nation of Tharsult uses small art objects in trade. These statues of ivory, jade, and serpentine are used as coinage in that region, and have reached the heartlands of the Realms as curios. Typical statues are worth 15 gp each in the North, but only 5 gp each in their native land. [Forgotten Realms Adventures]

Shaar Rings: The plainsmen of the Shaar use rings made of sliced and bored ivory, hung on long strings. Rings will be found in bundles, and each ring will be worth 3 gp each. [Forgotten Realms Adventures]

Blood Notes: Scrolls, letters, or other carvings representing IOUs and promissory notes from the listed person (probably merchants or sponsored adventuring bands if he's noble) to the holder of the note. [Forgotten Realms Adventures]

There's a type of yellow Mulhorandi wine that I can't remember where I read it in. One of Ed's books I'm sure, but it's never been featured elsehwere as far as I know.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2015 :  08:34:39  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I might go for a Lantanese clockwork squirrel (Aurora's Catalogue p109); an extremely high quality fake turmish beard from an old masterwork disguise kit (p33 of Vilhon Reach for an example); a stuffed and mounted wingless wonder (Secrets of the Magister p28); and an amulet of Laeral's Tears (which would just be a string threaded with several lightly enchanted cut beryllonite stones (one of which can be seen here: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/4/40/Laerals-tears-cut-and-natural.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110912034812 )

If you're feeling mean, your nobleman may have The Scalamagdrion in his possession (the book is detailed on p92 of Pages from the Mages with a picture of it open. A picture of it closed can be found on p38 of Dragon #92 and a really good picture of Ningulfim is in the Monstrous Compendium Annual 3 p93).

I had other ideas but it's tricky finding images.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 28 Jan 2015 08:58:43
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2015 :  15:51:46  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of mundane trinkets I always found a neat Realms addition, "Drow Swimwear" (Aurora's p 93) and the Light Splitter in DaRoni's workshop in the same source (p150.) I can totally see a shadow puppet show being a form of entertainment for such a noble.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  01:41:58  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neverwinter Water Clock?
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  02:01:38  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While not specifically 'Realmsian' per se, you might want to have a look at RL museum collections for inspiration; there are lots of awe-inspiring, beautiful objects that could be the inspiration for treasure a well-travelled noble in Faerun might have.

For example, objects found in RL treasure hoards can be pretty amazing: http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/pe_mla/h/helmet_from_sutton_hoo.aspx

Enchanted helmet of Moonshae Northlander raider chieftan, perhaps?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000