Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GenCon 2015
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2015 :  23:26:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've finally done it. I've committed to attending GenCon. I've been wanting to do GenCon for years, but things kept coming up... But the pass is bought and hotel reservations made.

I'm going to GenCon!

Who all am I going to see there?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2015 :  23:37:25  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be there, helping to run the annual Candlekeep Seminar, at which you will be a particularly honored guest.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2015 :  23:40:18  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can barely afford to travel 250 miles to a convention this year, let alone 6,000 miles.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  01:14:48  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be there again for my second year. :) very excited!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  01:26:57  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My wife and I will be there for the first time ever! Really looking forward to it, and I hope to meet anyone that's willing.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Galadhion
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  01:42:21  Show Profile  Visit Galadhion's Homepage Send Galadhion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be there as well in the Author's Avenue, trying to hustle comic books. I'll be attending Erik's Candlekeep Seminar.

Eric Menge
Game Designer / Writer
www.mythmakers.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  01:51:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I'll be there, helping to run the annual Candlekeep Seminar, at which you will be a particularly honored guest.

Cheers

I will be happy to be in attendance!

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  01:53:28  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Cheers

I will be happy to be in attendance!

Is this an event I have to sign up for in May? First time doing this, I just want to make sure I don't miss it.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  10:42:46  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be there once again :)

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  11:39:38  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Enjoy the fun and games at GEN-CON 2015. I won't be there this year, but I might find time to send through a gift.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  12:35:55  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be there!

Ooh, I like George's gifts...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  12:50:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George's gifts are better than an entire year's worth of releases from WoTC

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  16:28:29  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After attending 6 out of last 7 GEN CONs, this one will likely be my last for a stretch. It will be great to finally meet you Wooly.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  17:46:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

After attending 6 out of last 7 GEN CONs, this one will likely be my last for a stretch. It will be great to finally meet you Wooly.

You, as well! I still claim a part of the credit for your designer status -- I was one of the first, if not the first, to find your website and share the links on the WotC site. And once they gave me the boot, I continued sharing the link over here. So I'm claiming some credit, there.

We can talk about my share of the royalties when we meet.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Jan 2015 17:47:00
Go to Top of Page

TaeghenAmalith
Acolyte

Italy
28 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  18:28:22  Show Profile Send TaeghenAmalith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've looked in the site for a sort of program of the event but didn't found anything, some hint? (I'm dreaming of depart from Florence to reach Indianapolis but is a very expensive thing to do :) )
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  20:56:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TaeghenAmalith

I've looked in the site for a sort of program of the event but didn't found anything, some hint? (I'm dreaming of depart from Florence to reach Indianapolis but is a very expensive thing to do :) )

The GenCon veterans will correct me if I am wrong, I'm sure... But I'm fairly certain that the event scheduling isn't until like May.

Go to Top of Page

TaeghenAmalith
Acolyte

Italy
28 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  21:44:14  Show Profile Send TaeghenAmalith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  22:20:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just checked; the site says that event registration is May 17th.

I have no idea what all I'll register for. I want plenty of time to just wander, though. And of course, any of the FR stuff or CKeep stuff is a must.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Jan 2015 22:21:29
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  22:29:00  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I just checked; the site says that event registration is May 17th.

I have no idea what all I'll register for. I want plenty of time to just wander, though. And of course, any of the FR stuff or CKeep stuff is a must.

Same here. :) Any Realms related event is on my to see list. Other than that, I don't know. I'm open to suggestions.
I kinda feel like I did when my Family went to DC for a day. Seeing all the things is impossible.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2015 :  12:48:48  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be there, bells and all. I'm thinking about showing up in character for the Candlekeep seminar ;)
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2015 :  22:35:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I came up with something last night that should do just nicely.

Now all I have to do it write it and get it to Indianapolis by August!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  08:40:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can i have a copy when you are done. I am too poor to ever get to Indianapolis.

I wonder what could be better than a generic Greyhawk adventure slopped into the realms and daubed with an imitation FR brush?

That was a dig at WoTC though George, i'm sure your "something" will be awesome, the timeline you did was Cloak and Dagger amazing.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  14:16:53  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I came up with something last night that should do just nicely.

Now all I have to do it write it and get it to Indianapolis by August!

-- George Krashos

George, let's coordinate you getting it to me so that I can have a friend do a nice bit of layout on it. I'll then make a limited print run for participants of the Seminar. I don't want you to incur another cost this year. I saw the receipt from 2014!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  23:43:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cost isn't an issue, Matt. No dramas there. The logistics of getting it done and at Indy are the hard bit - although Fed-Ex were awesome last year. Thanks for the offer, I'll be in touch down the track.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  01:09:15  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My charming wife and I (and a few of our usual suspect gamers) will be there again this year. We look forward to seeing you all, hanging out with old friends, and making some new ones (especially you Wooly!).

To anyone going for the first time, I can't tell you how strongly we encourage you to attend the seminar. It is always the high point of our GenCon!

Matt - our group will be doing the cosplay thing again this year as well - what class/race is your character?

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2015 :  14:24:16  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kris the Grey

My charming wife and I (and a few of our usual suspect gamers) will be there again this year. We look forward to seeing you all, hanging out with old friends, and making some new ones (especially you Wooly!).

To anyone going for the first time, I can't tell you how strongly we encourage you to attend the seminar. It is always the high point of our GenCon!

Matt - our group will be doing the cosplay thing again this year as well - what class/race is your character?

Kevrick debuted in the Airspur article I wrote. He is a human Vistani bard/fighter/rogue and a Harper.

This might be interesting. He absolutely despises Drow ;)
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  02:23:24  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't realize the Vistani were canon in the realms, but then again I think ravenloft is canon now is FR because it merged with the Shadowfell.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  05:28:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I didn't realize the Vistani were canon in the realms, but then again I think ravenloft is canon now is FR because it merged with the Shadowfell.

Well, it was originally canon that the Mists could reach into any world, and several of the Darklords were from the Realms. We know of non-Darklord FR NPCs who were in Ravenloft, too, like Jander Sunstar and the lost king Gondegal.

While I don't recall any references in FR canon to the Vistani, they did seem to have a unique connection to and ability to travel thru the Mists. And since it was technically possible to leave Ravenloft, and it was connected to so many other worlds, then the Vistani could pop up pretty much anywhere.

Which makes me ponder... As perhaps the only truly free peoples in Ravenloft, why did the Vistani stay there? Did they arise in the core areas before those areas became part of the demiplane? Or do the Vistani have some connection to the Dark Powers?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Feb 2015 05:30:18
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  00:21:10  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may well be wrong but from what I remember of the Vistani of Ravenloft- they were trapped in the plane of Ravenloft but could move through the mists that separated the various realms contained within it. I seem to remember reading about them yearning to go home to their own world.
Go to Top of Page

Stones Finder
Acolyte

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  06:38:35  Show Profile Send Stones Finder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

I may well be wrong but from what I remember of the Vistani of Ravenloft- they were trapped in the plane of Ravenloft but could move through the mists that separated the various realms contained within it. I seem to remember reading about them yearning to go home to their own world.

The Vistani were always one of Ravenloft's big mysteries, but there were suggestions that they entered the demiplane to hide from something worse. I think there's something to that effect in the second "I, Strahd" novel, and possibly the Van Richten's Guide. Some of the early 2e modules say they can bring people in or out of Ravenloft. Anyway, if they went in deliberately, they probably thought they could get out.

Of course, it's also been suggested that nobody really escapes Ravenloft permanently - it always pulls them back in the end...

Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it - Advice for the 5e design team
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  21:04:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I was looking at the GenCon event listing... And holy mother of Lurue, there's a metric buttload more stuff than I expected!

Any particular suggestions or recommendations? Obviously, I'm interested in any Realms stuff, but I'm also interested in checking out new stuff.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000