Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Looking for light-hearted novel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nomog
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2015 :  21:43:19  Show Profile Send nomog a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello everyone!

Recently we can definitely observe a trend for Dark Fantasy - it has arrived in the Realms too!
Im not here to discuss wheter that's good or bad, I would just like to get a recommendation for a novel thats more light-hearted! I feel like reading something with more adventure (maybe even some romance?) and less death and political intrigue.

The libary of Forgotten Realms novels is so big, so I hope you can help me out!

Thanks

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2015 :  01:48:13  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any of the novels from Rosemary Jones would probably fit that bill.

They might have some "dark" in them, but they're definitely lighthearted. I like them a lot.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2015 :  02:48:24  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or anything by Elaine Cunningham. Light-hearted, humorous, Songs and Swords and Windwalker have a touch of romance as well.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 26 Jan 2015 02:50:34
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2015 :  20:14:50  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't recommend enough the Finder's Stone trilogy, particularly The Wyvern's Spur (which can be read as standalone from the other two books), for something lighter and different. It is more of a mystery than anything, and while it has a pretty dark villain, it has romance and a surprising amount of comedy and not the death count of any other book. Even the kobolds in the dungeon are talked to rather than killed :)
Go to Top of Page

nomog
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2015 :  20:41:18  Show Profile Send nomog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your recommendations! Definitely will check out those novels :)
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2015 :  22:38:23  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vaguely recall Murder in Cormyr having been a pretty fun mystery read. The death count is low there too. Lots of dry wit as the duo work the problem together.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Areader
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  00:14:52  Show Profile Send Areader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Cleric Quintet by Salvatore is a pretty fun, light-hearted series.

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  00:49:21  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Areader

Light-hearted? Isn't that the series where *spoiler* the son kills his father by burying him alive?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  01:10:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, personally, will echo the recommendations of the Finder's Stone trilogy, and any of Elaine's books -- particularly the Songs & Swords books about Arilyn and Danilo.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  15:02:48  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to 1970, friend.

I recommend Richard Lee Byers' Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy. There's a lot of light-hearted banter that, in many ways, is the best part of the trilogy.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

nomog
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  20:22:48  Show Profile Send nomog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've alredy read Elaine's Songs & Swords novels, loved them a lot! I wish she would write more FR books...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  21:00:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nomog

I've alredy read Elaine's Songs & Swords novels, loved them a lot! I wish she would write more FR books...

Well, there are also her Starlight & Shadows books, about my favorite drow, Liriel Baenre, and there is also the Counselers & Kings trilogy, set in Halruaa.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Jan 2015 21:02:27
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  15:01:43  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Wyvern's spur.

It is book 2 after Azure bonds, but can be read almost as a standalone and is one of the funniest most lighthearted novels in FR.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  15:25:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

The Wyvern's spur.

It is book 2 after Azure bonds, but can be read almost as a standalone and is one of the funniest most lighthearted novels in FR.

I do consider it a standalone, myself. It does connect to the others, yes, but it's entirely self-contained. Knowledge of the preceding book is not necessary to enjoy this one.

Go to Top of Page

Schreckstoff
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  18:22:51  Show Profile Send Schreckstoff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

quote:
Originally posted by Areader

Light-hearted? Isn't that the series where *spoiler* the son kills his father by burying him alive?

Complete Drizzt Saga - Check
In love with Farideh's Saga - Check
Disappointed at Erevis' Saga's apparent end - Check
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  22:54:01  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I admit that I have yet to read it myself, but I believe I recall people saying there's a lot of humor in CITY OF RAVENS by Richard Baker.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  23:26:17  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes the two Jack Rivenwild books are pretty fun, and less serious than most FR books. I was just thinking that too. City of Ravens and Prince of Ravens, the sequel.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  00:59:27  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
City of Ravens is fantastic. Prince of Ravens is still good, but doesn't live up to the first imo.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  05:35:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

I admit that I have yet to read it myself, but I believe I recall people saying there's a lot of humor in CITY OF RAVENS by Richard Baker.

I didn't dislike it, but I didn't care for the way the character kept happily charging into trouble. Once he was up to his neck in alligators (figuratively speaking), it didn't make sense for him to throw himself into more danger.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000