Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 spoilers. where Is the silver lady?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2015 :  05:28:29  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am currently reading rise of the king.

But did I miss something. Where is lady alustriel? Moreover , how did she manage to outlive her sisters , by a lot.

Finally is gromph the most powerful character in menzobarranzen. He seems to intimidate all except jarlaxle.

“Change is not always growth, but growth is often rooted in change.
Drizzt Do'Urden”

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2015 :  06:06:13  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
she left that world behind. you want to see what happened to her, you are reading the wrong book. Namely the last Elminster book to have been released.

further more she did NOt outlive her sisters and that is all I will say on her.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2015 :  09:40:51  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The most powerfull character in menzoberranzan will be the one who has the most favor of Lolth. So usually the priestress who leads house Baenre.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2015 :  12:46:04  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, pick up The Herald to learn more of Alustriel's fate.

Probably Gromph, definitely him prior to his sister being infused with their mother's memories. Now though, I'm not so sure. At any rate, Matron Quenthel is most likely the only person in the city capable of matching him presently.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2015 :  15:00:53  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ummmmmmmmmmmm no. I doubt Quenthel is going to be able to match Gromph in power for much longer as Kimri.... teh psy drow of bregan. is teaching him something during rise of the king.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2015 :  06:43:59  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gromph can send you to Tartarus in a heartbeat. Wonder if he will become a lich b

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2015 :  17:31:50  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Berkthgar

I am currently reading rise of the king.

But did I miss something. Where is lady alustriel? Moreover , how did she manage to outlive her sisters , by a lot.

Finally is gromph the most powerful character in menzobarranzen. He seems to intimidate all except jarlaxle.

I would argue that Gromph does intimidate Jarlaxle to some degree. Jarlaxle isn't the type to show it, but I recall that scene in Gauntlgrym where he mocked Jarlaxle for being tricked by Sylora Salm. Jarlaxle was upset, but thinks to himself that he can't really do anything about it.

I'm also thinking of the scene in Night of the Hunter where the drow come to the surface and kidnap everyone. Jarlaxle's quarters of the Bregan Daerthe lair in Luskan are filled with magical traps. Even in a place completely rigged to Jarlaxle's advantage, he considered fighting Gromph for a moment, then abandoned the idea.

But that's what I love about Jarlaxle (and Entreri). It takes massive cajones to look somebody in the eye and verbally spar with them when they could easily destroy you.

On the issue of Gromph being the most powerful person in Menzo, I would lean toward yes. He's come close to killing Quenthel on several occasions, and she's one of the most heavily warded and closely guarded people in Faerun (at least since she became Matron Mother and Mistress of Arach Tinilith).

Before Quenthel's infusion of brains, it was implied that he was the most politically powerful person in Menzo. As for personal power, I would put money on Gromph over Quenthel in a straight up fight. However, as we've seen in novels before, gods can give their followers huge power boosts to complete certain tasks. Lolth isn't going to allow a male to kill Matron Mother Baenre is a spell battle, and would probably give Quenthel a boost for that fight.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2015 :  18:34:09  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lilianviaten good point.

Right up until Quenthel Fails Lolth or Lolth tires of her and disgards her like a headless black widow.

which now tell me why it seemed to me that when I was reading both night of the hunter, and rise of the king I was getting that impersonation Quenthel was going to fail soon....... .

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2015 :  19:05:14  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lolth won't tire of Quenthel because the Baenre family is all that holds Menzo from exploding into full blown civil-war. Though if a far better replacement shows up, that's quite a different story.

I got the impression too that something bad was going to happen. Made me wonder if Salvatore is setting up the Baenre family for their final fall at the time. I'm not so sure of that anymore however. ;)
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2015 :  03:12:11  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ummmm maybe not.

Keeping The Baenre family yes... tiring of Quenthel is still possible as she is not her mother even with being fused with her memories.

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2015 :  05:30:18  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is jarlaxle so formidable because he away has tricks up his many sleeves? Why was tiago afraid to dual him?

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2015 :  05:48:05  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with both of you. Salvatore is definitely foreshadowing a fall for Quenthel. The question is just how big the fall will be. Yvonnel's failed invasion of Mithral Hall weakened Menzoberranzan a great deal. Then the War of the Spider Queen events weakened it more, plus it exposed a significant degree of rebellious potential among males.

One well timed betrayal will send the whole house tumbling down. It could very likely come from Jarlaxle, but it could just as easily come from the orcs (if Gruumsh ever gets tired of his race being subservient fodder for the drow). Or it could come from Tos'un, who I can't figure out at all in this series. Maybe even one of the other matron mothers who feels slighted.

If I had to make a prediction, I think Salvatore intends to collapse the matriarchy in his next series, and he's setting all the pieces up now. And it will be awesome.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2015 :  07:49:27  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember a wise line from a very intelligent and cunning female drow named Lirieal Beanre,

it was that assassinations require layers upon layers of planning but after teh fact keep it simple.

let us not forget that Breagan De.......you know I cant spell it, answer to kimmriel and jarlaxle, and both already were looking for a way out of this.
Gromph may have plans to betray qenthal too.

Tosun and his daughter might just be buying their time

cant wait though to read the next book

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000