Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Help - Days of the Week v Work week
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dfmagi
Acolyte

0 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2015 :  21:52:40  Show Profile Send dfmagi a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello, I am running the realms and i have a interesting question. The week is 10 days, but no one works 10 days straight, therefore what is the "weekends" on your world. In true history the average peasant only worked 3-4 days per week, or the lords would have a riot on their hands. So in a 10 day week, what is the "off" days? how do you have it?

dfmagi
Acolyte

0 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2015 :  05:56:42  Show Profile Send dfmagi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one has any data or inspiration on this?
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2015 :  13:27:41  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vaguely remember reading something (it might have been in the So Saith Ed scrolls) that people just take off what days they feel works best for them, but that working a straight tenday isn't uncommon, given the amount of work isn't anything like we work today. The 40 hour work week is a relatively new invention in our world, anyway, as you pointed out. I'm away from books at the moment, so that's all I can scratch up until work is over.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2015 :  08:30:45  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would guess the people in Faerun could work and study for either work 4 days, have a 1 day free, then work 3 days more, and have 2 more days free from work. Alternately, they would work for 7 days straight, and then rest 3 days, but 7 day work week would be exausting.

Edited by - Baltas on 19 Jan 2015 12:02:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2015 :  15:34:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

I would guess the people in Faerun could work and study for either work 4 days, have a 1 day free, then work 3 days more, and have 2 more days free from work. Alternately, they would work for 7 days straight, and then rest 3 days, but 7 day work week would be exausting.

Or go 4 days on, 1 day off, then repeat.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2015 :  17:40:40  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it appear China used to have a 10 day week, government officials ordered to rest every 5th day. Or for a time it was every 10 days.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2015 :  20:40:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll put it this way.... depends on the person more than likely. Farmers for instance probably still have to feed the livestock, pick the eggs up, milk the cows, draw up water, etc.... every day of the week. They may have shorter workdays though, as the human body can only take so much strenuous labor.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kalbaern
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  21:08:55  Show Profile  Visit Kalbaern's Homepage Send Kalbaern a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 3.5e FRCS has the following on page 86 in regards to this topic.

Work and Rest

Common folk, artisans, merchants, and even the nobility routinely work tenday after tenday until a religious holiday, local festival, or one of the annual holidays rolls around to give them a day off. Some parts of the Heartlands have gradually accepted the idea that people who do not want to work everyday, and whose duties and responsibilities allow it, can take the tenth day of the week off. There is no standard name for this nonholiday day of rest. In the Dalelands, for reasons no one knows, they call it the "elf day". In Cormyr they call it "dragon rest", saying, "Even a dragon needs to rest".

In any given town, hamlet, or city, some folk choose to work through the tenday. But the day of rest has become common enough that nearly associates the tenth day with some form of avoiding one's duty. Raising both open palms, showing all of one's fingers, and waving them back and forth has become visual slang for "just taking it easy, not doing anything much".

The Savage Frontier and Surrounds - A NWN Persistent World
http://frsavagefrontier.proboards.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000