Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2015)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2015 :  00:45:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
That's not my lore. It's Ed's, from one of his threads in the Chamber of Sages. I wish I could come up with stuff that good!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2015 :  03:48:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
kysus,
More confused about . . .?

As for your second question: those are ancient elven family tombs, from "way back when." (Before the FIRST fall of Myth Drannor. So, guarded by their baelnorn throughout the time of rampaging demons and devils in Myth Drannor (a chaos first glimpsed in Ed's 1987 Realms novel SPELLFIRE.) So far as I know, no new baelnorn were created during the Spellplague years, anywhere.

I hope this helps.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2015 :  03:59:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Yes, I'm back from a lengthy Net-silent real-world work assignment, and bringing you the words of Ed of the Greenwood once more...

Byte Man, re. this: "Hail, and Well Met!
Never having done this before, mainly because I always felt asking Ed anything would be presuming on a friendship that only exists in my head, I wanted to start with something simple Therefore, my inquiry to Master Ed of the Greenwood is as follows:
"Ever since the 2nd Edition FRCS box set, I have beenaware of a certain demigoddess named Sharess, the Lady of Lust and cats. I was facinated at this goddess, and the life she led, particularly as more of her backstory came to light. My question is, are there any plans for her to play a bigger role in the Realms, or is she doomed to forever be a servant of the Firehair?"

Heeeere's Ed:

Byte Man, by all means ask me anything. There are things I can't answer because of NDAs or because I just don't know, but any fan of the Realms is a friend of mine! Ask away!
And in this case, I can answer you: *I* certainly have plans to have Sharess play a larger role, but over the years some editors have been uneasy regarding Loviatar, Sharess, and the other "sexy" or sex-related deities, and have quite rightly taken the approach that we should spotlight and detail naughty things that could offend some fans (and buyers) only when there are good STORY reasons for doing so. And we just haven't been telling stories that took us closer to Sharess. Yet.
Will my plans bear any fruit? That's where I have to hand you one of those "I just don't know" answers. Or non-answers.
Of course, you COULD attend the next Spin A Yarn and make very sure that Sharess lore becomes a crucial story element . . .

So saith Ed. And there you have it. Want me to try to nudge Ed into sharing anything from his old notes, regarding Sharess? I can be pretty persuasive when I want to . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2015 :  04:08:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And there's more . . .
This time, Ed replies to Marco Volo, re. this: "Hi, My players asked me a tricky question at the end of a game session :
"We are in Waterdeep, we have some gold bar and mithral bar, there must be some kind of real world banks in this town to deposit them, right ?"
And I was like : "I have to check my files". And Ed, THO, you're my "files" in this case. Thanks in advance for sharing any kind of answer about the existence of banks (or sort of) in Waterdeep and how do they worked.
Regards,
MV"

And Ed saith:

Hi, Marco Volo. All temples in the Realms, and in Waterdeep that includes The Plinth and the new Temple of Waukeen in particular, have always functioned as banks. There are also independent (non-guilded) moneylenders (Mirt was the most famous of them, but he's been away from Waterdeep for nigh a century, or not, depending on when your Realms campaign is set) in the city, who also function as moneychangers and money storers (in other words, as bankers). So does the Palace, using Castle Waterdeep as their treasury vaults (and many people trust them more than any other source). Certain landlords in the city also "play banker," because it helps with cash flow problems.
I hope this is of help. Let me know if you need more.

And there you have it. Ed's ride to the lore rescue is belated because of me, I'm afraid. I'll try not to be so silent for so long again, but the nature of my work sometimes means I have to be, without much warning.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2015 :  06:36:18  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
Oops my bad, sorry George.

Anyway, my next question relates to the dwarven language. Could you tell me what the dwarven word for dwarf is, what I mean is how do they refer to themselves as a race. Or alternatively could you tell me what the dwarves called dwarvenhome pretty please

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2015 :  06:38:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
Oops my bad, sorry George.

Anyway, my next question relates to the dwarven language. Could you tell me what the dwarven word for dwarf is, what I mean is how do they refer to themselves as a race. Or alternatively could you tell me what the dwarves called dwarvenhome pretty please

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2015 :  16:11:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again.
dazzlerdal, here's Ed's reply:

Dwarvenhome was known to the dwarves as Ahrrune.

(from: runedar = haven, home for all and ahrraem = all-kin, meaning the race of dwarves)

. . . and it follows that dwarves referred to themselves formally (as a race) as Ahrraem.
A less formal, daily "we" or "dwarves" (meaning: a group of dwarves that wasn't all one clan or family, or a group assembled for a specific purpose like a warband or a shift in a mine) is "Ahra" (as in, "ahra always drink from the higher spring," or "ahra prefer that ale to the weak human stuff")

So saith Ed, and there you have it.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2015 :  18:20:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again.
dazzlerdal, here's Ed's reply:

Dwarvenhome was known to the dwarves as Ahrrune.

(from: runedar = haven, home for all and ahrraem = all-kin, meaning the race of dwarves)

. . . and it follows that dwarves referred to themselves formally (as a race) as Ahrraem.
A less formal, daily "we" or "dwarves" (meaning: a group of dwarves that wasn't all one clan or family, or a group assembled for a specific purpose like a warband or a shift in a mine) is "Ahra" (as in, "ahra always drink from the higher spring," or "ahra prefer that ale to the weak human stuff")

So saith Ed, and there you have it.
love,
THO

Thanks Ed and THO. Love that dwarf lore.

Given Ed's response, what then are the words/terms for "dwarf" (singular), "clan" and "ruling house" (like the Iron House of Tethyamar). Oh, and if Ed's feeling generous, what are the dwarven words for "elf"/"elves", "human"/"humans", "gnome"/"gnomes" and "halfling"/"halflings"?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2015 :  21:18:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, George. Dwarf, singular is "arl"
(I know that one off the top of my head, but for answering your others I'll need Ed or to find older notes of mine, and both are out of reach at the moment. So, more later...)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  16:31:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. George, Ed has come through. Here are your dwarvish queries:

Clan: ddin
Dwarf: arl
Elf: elgon
Elves (group): elgonnyn
Elves (race): gonnynd
Gnome: del
Gnomes (group): deldal
Gnomes (race): delvar
Halfling: thim
Halflings (group): thimdal
Halflings (race): orthim
Human: tahl
Humans (group): tahln
Humans (race): oumtahl
Ruling House: ostoan

So saith Ed. And there you have it!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  17:34:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
On a related note, do dwarves have a general, catchall term for non-dwarves? Something similar to the elven N'Tel'Quess?

And how about dwarven profanity?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  01:34:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

On a related note, do dwarves have a general, catchall term for non-dwarves? Something similar to the elven N'Tel'Quess?

And how about dwarven profanity?

Ed in his "Forging the Realms" article "Outcast House" gave the term "thaelwi" for non-dwarves.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  01:37:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. George, Ed has come through. Here are your dwarvish queries:

Clan: ddin
Dwarf: arl
Elf: elgon
Elves (group): elgonnyn
Elves (race): gonnynd
Gnome: del
Gnomes (group): deldal
Gnomes (race): delvar
Halfling: thim
Halflings (group): thimdal
Halflings (race): orthim
Human: tahl
Humans (group): tahln
Humans (race): oumtahl
Ruling House: ostoan

So saith Ed. And there you have it!
love,
THO

Glorious lore. My dwarven lexicon runneth over. As a thanks I'll have to finish crafting some realmslore tonight and send it through to Ed.

And thank you THO. As always, you deliver the good stuff. One day, I'm going to have to meet you. I don't suppose that you could take some vacation time around GENCON 2017 and pop in to visit ...?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2015 :  07:39:42  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I wonder if the 1st ed. norkers were ever a part of the Realms? If yes, then where would you be most likely to encounter them?

Many thanks,
MalariaMoon
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2015 :  08:15:40  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message
quote:

Hi, BenN, I've tracked down an e-mail from Ed in which he says:

Narya survived, too, sorely wounded, but is under care in Semberholme and expected to survive; the right spells and treatment should replace the right forearm she lost in the fighting.

So saith Ed. And no, Narya isn't, so far as Ed or I know, mentioned in other published Realmslore, but I do know Ed has jotted down something of her story and past dealings with the Delcastles, because that same e-mail mentioned her as one of "half a dozen" elves not of prominent rank, influence, or published Realms profile that Ed "follows" in his imagination to chart the general tenor of the elves in that region (their rises, falls, attitudes, etc.). It might currently be NDA, but I've forwarded your query to him in hopes that it isn't, and you'll get a useful reply.
love,
THO

Dear THO,

I just wanted to follow-up on the conversation we had back in February (above). Is there any additional info which isn't under NDA? If you/Ed can provide any info about the other "half a dozen" elves that Ed tracks, it would also be incredibly useful (in providing depth & background flavour).

Once again, thanks for all your wonderful help!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2015 :  10:34:24  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
Hi Ed,

Thankyou for the dwarf lore, it will come in very handy for fleshing out Dwarvenhome.

Regards

Dazzlerdal

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2015 :  12:48:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
Hi Ed/THO,

I was wondering about Shaundakul and his origins. I've noted him as supposedly appearing first around the time of the appearance of the Rus (-105 DR i have as the first mention for them). He is mentioned as being an intermediate power at Myth Drannor's height), and prior to that was venerated by traders in the northern Moonsea area (i reckon first cleared around -1050 DR).

I was wondering if Shaundakul's worship did not first arrive in Faerun with the Bedine and then spread to the Netherise survivor states and then on to Myth Drannor and the northern Moonsea (meanwhile the Bedine abandoned Shaundakul for various reasons).

As a second question, what was the reason for Beshaba masquerading as Shaundakul to the Bedine, was it in revenge for some slight or part of a far reaching plot, or just opportunism because they happened to think Shaundakul was evil and so he ignored them thereby allowed Beshaba to steal some power.

Regards

Dazzlerdal

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2015 :  14:56:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Bear in mind that Beshaba herself was only 'created' right around the time the Bedine showed up - she used to be half of Tyche, when Netheril was still in power.
Which just made me think of something, but I'll post that in the other thread.

Question:
Ed, do you having anything interesting to share - something FR-related that you might be working on? A 'tease' to keep us all going awhile longer?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 May 2015 14:57:09
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2015 :  16:43:28  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
Dear Ed,

Can you give us any detail about the lost elven realm of Askavar? I know it was dissolved about the 500s DR, but when was it founded? Who were its founders? Any details on the number of cities or settlements, and the kingdom's culture, religion, magic schools, defenses, would be welcome.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2015 :  19:34:44  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Dear Ed,

Can you give us any detail about the lost elven realm of Askavar? I know it was dissolved about the 500s DR, but when was it founded? Who were its founders? Any details on the number of cities or settlements, and the kingdom's culture, religion, magic schools, defenses, would be welcome.

+1 on this.
Back in December 2014 I asked this :
'Is there more to be said about Askavar the elven realm that used to be in the wood of the sharp teeth (or Glimmerwood as it used to be called)? What are it's ties (if any) to Shantel Othreier, Firewine Bridge and/or Vehlarr, Thanks in advance!'
but the scroll soon got locked because of the end of the year so it might have gone missed.

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2015 :  19:42:17  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message
I note this passage from Dragon #222 about elves in the Wood of the Sharp Teeth:

'The Wood of the Sharp Teeth:
Recently, a small group of green elves
(about 50) has broken off from the tribe in
the Misty Forest and headed into the
Wood of Sharp Teeth near Baldur's Gate.
It seems there was an argument between
Speaker Eamond and Derdryl, an older
and much sterner elf, about courting the
favors of humans. The last report from
the Derdryl's group said that they had
made a temporary pact with a tribe of
satyrs and were continuing to forage deep
into the woods. Derdryl, it seems, is
obsessed in finding the ancient elven
empire of Anauria [[should this actually be Askavar*]] . He has used the argument
between himself and Eamond to
gather a group to explore the unknown
reaches of the Sharp Teeth. What he
expects to find is up to speculation. The
ruins of that fabled empire are old even
by elven standards, and it would appear
that Derdryl is leading his group on a
wild, and very dangerous, goose chase.'

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2015 :  02:53:51  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
Fellow Sages and Ed/THO,

I have tried (in vain) to see if I can find a scroll herein that discusses the impact/meaning of naming a mortal after a god. I've tried to determine how Torm (of the Knights of Myth Drannor) came to share a name with a deity, specifically a reply from Ed. However, and unfortunately, applying every kind of magic I know in searching, I still get every post that has the word "Storm" in it, and get over a thousand results. So, without further ado, my questions are:

How did Torm of the Knights come to share the name of a god, and what are the ramifications in doing so? Would a parent name a child after a god and why might he or she do so? Would a mortal be foolish, wise, or have no problems whatsoever by taking on a god's name as his or her own?

It would seem to me that if a deity has the ability to "hear" X seconds of speech within the time its name is spoken, it would be foolish to name one's self or a baby after any deity. Zealots not withstanding, it just seems very foolish, and I'm curious specifically about Torm.

Many thanks,

Azuth

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2015 :  03:02:24  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
That has been asked and answered before, actually, and Ed said that many, many mortals in the Realms are named after gods - -but that to Dispel Confusion, TSR cut back on "same names" in the published Realms (Ed's original Realms had both a demon and a devil named Ashtaroth, so if you were VERY careful in wording your summoning, the "wrong" one would show up, NOT under your control!).
Torm was one of the few exceptions because the character was a member of the Knights.
So it would follow that many parents do name their children after deities.
However, perhaps your post will nudge Ed or THO into saying something more on this . . .
BB
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2015 :  09:03:42  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

I have tried (in vain) to see if I can find a scroll herein
Forum search is almost useless (it's something quaint over M$derp IIS, as you can see from error messages every time it starts drooling). My method is simple: download SSE collection, put it next to those free downloads, then use find|pdfgrep).
quote:
that discusses the impact/meaning of naming a mortal after a god. I've tried to determine how Torm (of the Knights of Myth Drannor) came to share a name with a deity, specifically a reply from Ed.

Partially answered at 30 Mar 2005.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2015 :  22:59:28  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message
Just wanted to wish Ed and his wife well and to say that his presence at GenCon will be greatly missed this year but that he is undoubtedly, precisely where he needs be. If Ed or the Greenwood family need anything then the community is here to help. Rest easy Sage.

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2015 :  20:51:21  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eli the Tanner

Just wanted to wish Ed and his wife well and to say that his presence at GenCon will be greatly missed this year but that he is undoubtedly, precisely where he needs be. If Ed or the Greenwood family need anything then the community is here to help. Rest easy Sage.

Dunno what's going on, but whatever it is, I wish the best for Ed and his wife. Can't do much from Brazil, but you can count on my prayers.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2015 :  22:37:41  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
Yeah, I've already posted it in the other scroll, but this is saddening to hear. All the best to both of them.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2015 :  14:23:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Which thread/scroll would that be?

Sending love and prayers for you and yours, Ed.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2015 :  15:07:14  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Which thread/scroll would that be?

Sending love and prayers for you and yours, Ed.

This one: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19907

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2015 :  11:43:04  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eli the Tanner

I (as, I suspect, everybody here at the 'Keep) wish the Greenwoods all the courage in the world.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000