Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2015)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2015 :  18:20:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, everyone.
Re. this, from Seravin: "Hi THO - I was happy as a clam to hear that a new Baldur's Gate game is in the works in my favourite time period of the Realms (anything pre-3rd edition). Has Ed been asked to provide any content or help in anyway? Would love to see an Elminster cameo again!"
Seravin, your question is something that would be firmly NDA'd, but I asked Ed anyway, and he gave me a "no comment," but he did so in a tone of voice that conveyed that he PROBABLY hasn't been contacted directly about the game. Now, he did write a big overview backgrounder for the "5e" version of Baldur's Gate, as part of the groundwork for the published print adventure set in Baldur's Gate, so I'm sure that lore will be used by the makers of the new Baldur's Gate game (so that would be "help").
I'll see if I can slyly make Ed let slip more, in the days to come...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2015 :  20:29:45  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
Thanks THO! - the new game will be set in the late 1360s I believe rather than 5th Edition era of the late 1400s. I assume to get the Forgotten Realms trademark then WoTC/Hasbro would have to know this is happening and hopefully will vet the continuity to some extent even if it is not Ed.
Fingers crossed for an apperance by Elminster or any other of our favourite Realms characters.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  22:11:21  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Tantam All!

With the imminent demise of the Realms Mailing List I have been looking back through it with great fondness and found a post of mine from 2000 regarding Neiroon the Schemer and his hut which Ed kindly replied to (see below). The ongoing campaign I run has currently reached 1392DR (no spellplague) and was wondering if Ed could speculate on what Neiroon might have got up to post the 1359 timeline in the OGBS and/or whether Neiroon was still alive in 1392? I have a hankering for my players to go and search for a hut situated next to the River Lis. (Is there anything special about his hut that you can share please?)

Kind regards

Damian
ps and if you wanted to speculate on Neiron the Ranger Knight (got to love 1E level titles) as well that would be most welcome!

*the original reply*
Ed writes:
Neiroon 'the Schemer' was a hermit (retired adventurer) who was a tutor of
one of the Knights of Myth Drannor. He was a character with several classes,
including druid and illusionist, and he deliberately remains a mystery. (In
other words, because of the 'home' Realms campaign, more won't be revealed at
this time; sorry.)

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 27 Jan 2015 22:12:41
Go to Top of Page

Finglas Leaflock
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  14:33:22  Show Profile Send Finglas Leaflock a Private Message
Hello, THO, Ed, and everyone else!

I have a question about "Seldreene Ammath of Suzail, married to a merchant," whose quote leads off Chapter 2 of Elminster's Daughter. Ammath is a moon elven clan (more details about them in the Myth Drannor material, and in Ed's reply back in October 2005!), so is Seldreene an elf or half-elf of that house, or is the name a coincidence?

Thanks, and stay warm!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  02:53:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Finglas, Seldreene Ammath is a fullblood elf of House Ammath (someone else, not here at the Keep, has asked Ed about her in the past), but I've just shot an e-query off to Ed to see what else he can tell us about her...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Finglas Leaflock
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  06:22:42  Show Profile Send Finglas Leaflock a Private Message
Thanks! I am more intrigued now!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  17:40:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. I bring the latest lore yieldings from Ed of the Greenwood, this time in response to crazedventurers, re. this: "With the imminent demise of the Realms Mailing List I have been looking back through it with great fondness and found a post of mine from 2000 regarding Neiroon the Schemer and his hut which Ed kindly replied to (see below). The ongoing campaign I run has currently reached 1392DR (no spellplague) and was wondering if Ed could speculate on what Neiroon might have got up to post the 1359 timeline in the OGBS and/or whether Neiroon was still alive in 1392? I have a hankering for my players to go and search for a hut situated next to the River Lis. (Is there anything special about his hut that you can share please?)
Kind regards
Damian
ps and if you wanted to speculate on Neiron the Ranger Knight (got to love 1E level titles) as well that would be most welcome!
*the original reply*
Ed writes:
Neiroon 'the Schemer' was a hermit (retired adventurer) who was a tutor of
one of the Knights of Myth Drannor. He was a character with several classes,
including druid and illusionist, and he deliberately remains a mystery. (In
other words, because of the 'home' Realms campaign, more won't be revealed at
this time; sorry.)"

Ed shares:

Hi, Damian. Neiron later, I'm afraid, but as for Neiroon, I can now reveal more (as play has unfolded in the home Realms campaign, and so what I say here won't spoil things for my players).
Neiroon already had a habit of vanishing for long periods before the Knights first met him, and this continued. His hut beside the River Lis is nothing more than a small, ramshackle weathered one-room wooden structure with a moss-covered cedar shake roof. The dim interior has a huge wooden bed (four Knights once shared it comfortably, without undue intimacy), a simple trestle table with one good chair and a bench, a chamberpot, and a tiny heart with cauldron-hook. There's no basement, and when Neiroon's away, the chait, chamberpot, and cauldron-hook are all missing, as are the bedcovers (three blankets and a large array of beast-pelt furs). Neiroon has a well-concealed underground storage niche for all of this about a mile farther from the rive: a stone-lined shallow pit with a camouflaged earth-and-vegetation "lid" cover, on higher and drier ground.
Neiroon is absent for long periods because he travels a lot, alone and often employing avian or beast shapes (using his druidic magic). He maintains at least a dozen small, simple residences (and even more hidden storage caches, including at least two on the roofs and in the attics of grand mansions and palaces belonging to others).
Neiroon is an adviser, tutor, and sometime spy for at least six rulers (from petty "robber barons" in the Border Kingdoms and elsewhere to the heads of Chessentan city-states to noble families of Cormyr and Waterdeep who dominate the towns and villages nigh their countryside retreats. Neiroon makes a living hiding things or finding things and people for such patrons, carrrying messages for them, and either training or arranging for the right other person to discreetly train family members and trusted retainers of his patrons. He is something of a soft-voiced, quiet man of few words version of Aragorn, more apt to use illusion and ruse and silently slipping away or misdirecting than he is to draw sword and fight openly, but he has his own moral code, and has been known to dispense "poetic justice" to some he meets, in the manner Elminster has become so notorious for. He's not interested in publicity, reputation, or "the general public" getting to know his face, whereabouts, name, or what he's up to - - but he has been known to show up in Storm's kitchen on rare occasions for a warm bed, a good meal, and to dry out. As a friend, NOT a Harper. And that's probably about as much as I should say, given where events are right now in the home Realms campaign.

So saith Ed. And to this I can only add: Ed as DM portrays Neiroon as something akin to a quieter, gentler version of Liam Neeson in the current Clash of Clans "Revenge" TV Commercial.
And I hope this is of help.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  17:42:17  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
I remember the reference to Neiroon in the official lore, but I don't remember Neiron the Ranger Knight. Where's he from, please? Anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2015 :  10:41:33  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
Sorry if someone asked this before, but there it goes:

Even knowing that the original name of the archmage of Undermountain is "Hilather", I wonder if there is a reason for the names of the greatest archmages of the Realms all have the same ending - Halaster, Sammaster and Elminster.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2015 :  10:49:16  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
Dont forget the Magi-ster and the Seven Si-ster-s

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  17:43:07  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I was thinking about the Avariel today a bit. Since the Descent of the Drow turned the really bad elves into drow, I was curious if the Avariel were afflicted with this change too? Or were they too far removed from all the problems of the Crown Wars?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  17:52:22  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
[
Ed shares:

Hi, Damian. Neiron later, I'm afraid, but as for Neiroon, I can now reveal more (as play has unfolded in the home Realms campaign, and so what I say here won't spoil things for my players).
And I hope this is of help.
love,
THO

As ever with Ed and THO, more than I hoped for from this excellent response.

Ed, many thanks for taking the time to answer and thanks to THO for posting

Best wishes to all

Damian
who is off to get the PC's hooked up with a friendly spy/adversary who it appears is working against them for one of the other noble families in Cormyr

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  18:07:42  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

I remember the reference to Neiroon in the official lore, but I don't remember Neiron the Ranger Knight. Where's he from, please? Anyone?

In the OGBS it was Neiron the Schemer (9th level Ranger, in 1E level terms that makes him a Ranger Knight)

From Ed's original maps in the FR Atlas on the western side of the Lis is a little place called Neiroon's Hut.

So that sparked my original question - two individuals with similar names, miles apart with a small hut on a large map that made me curious! As it turns out it's Neiroon the Schemer (the hut) not Neiron the Schemer (the Ranger) - clear as mud, yes?

Suffice to say that Ed, as always! liked to make things interesting with two similar named individuals in the home campaign, (Ashtaroth/Astaroth anyone?).

I would be fairly confident that the two Neir's used each other as a smokescreen to confound their enemies and probably had an unwritten accord as such and so gladly let others within the Realms believe they may be the same person and ponder as to how they could be in two places as once, and who exactly are they working for and what are they doing.

Just speculating at the end there.

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  07:42:04  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message
quote:

Now, he did write a big overview backgrounder for the "5e" version of Baldur's Gate, as part of the groundwork for the published print adventure set in Baldur's Gate

I'm presuming this is for the adventure Murder in Baldur's Gate. I've heard good things about this adventure, does anyone know if Ed's lore made it into print though?

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One/Ed

I welcome core Greyhawk elements into the Realms, and being in the Realms. I designed the Realms to encompass all things - - not just contain and carry them, but host them and enhance them and make them more accessible and interconnected, so this is the Realms doing what the Realms does.
It's really nice to see that even after all this time, and many changes to the Realms (some of which Ed probably didn't enjoy) Ed is still so positive and happy to work with WotC to make the Realms the best it can be under the restrictions of the present day :) I personally love the portals to other worlds angle and always work to include such in my homebrew settings.

As for Eberron/FR crossover, I wonder if the Mournlands was created at the same time as the Time of Troubles or the Spellplague? Hmmmm.

I'd better ask a question for Ed: What do Underdark civilisations burn to cook food? Is it purely dried dung? (if so, is the majority from people or animals?). Do they have natural gas stovetops?

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.

Edited by - JohnLynch on 05 Feb 2015 07:43:22
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  17:02:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
JohnLynch, Ed is credited as a co-writer on MURDER because of all that lore (the actual adventure was written in house - - note the other credits - - but Ed created and detailed existing sites in the city, NPCs, flavor details of what it's like to live in the Gate, etc.). So, yes, much of the lore did make it into print.

As for Underdark: Fuel is very seldom needed for heating, thanks to the natural temperature levels underground and all subterranean-native races being naturally suited to those conditions. For cooking, there are site-specific heat sources (volcanic flows, steam from heated-by-volcanism underground water) and, yes, dung (lizard dung in particular, i.e. the pack lizards used by drow), plus crude oil (combined with sand and lit by flame to derive cooking flames like the real-world "desert stoves" used by troops fighting on the Desert Front in World War II), plus some fungi that burn in flame, particular other fungi that chemically react when combined with specific other fungi varieties to combust with intense heat, and ways known to duergar, drow, svirfneblin, and drow of coating surface-world fuels (mainly trees and "brush" from woody ground shrubs) with crude oil to derive the equivalent of charcoal: small lumps of wood that burn to ash slowly and with much heat but little smoke, that can be used easily for travel-cooking.
I've paraphrased all of the above from notes I took whilst playing in the home Realms campaign, with Ed as DM (as I've said before, he has thought all of this through).
And I, too, love the gates/interconnected multiverses angle; Ed considers it the logical direction for many high-level campaigns that focus on storytelling/roleplaying to eventually take, as PCs reached the right power levels and play had unfolded for long enough in real time.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  02:07:26  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message
Thanks very much again THO!

That's great news about Murder in Baldur's Gate. I'll have to bump that up in my to-buy list.

And thankyou for the information on fuel in the Underdark. It's something I struggle with and currently have players about to make a 2 month journey through it so knowing how denizens in the Realms' Underdark cope with cooking and such is perfect for me steal for my campaign :)

Another question for Ed: I started re-reading Elminster's Forgotten Realms again and saw the mention of broadsheets. I was wondering when (where?) did they first appear and how has their use over the years changed (increased? decreased?).

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.

Edited by - JohnLynch on 06 Feb 2015 02:08:40
Go to Top of Page

Arian Dynas
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  05:54:16  Show Profile Send Arian Dynas a Private Message
Hi, new guy here so I hope I do this right.

Now that the Realms are kind of back on track again and 5th Ed is affecting a AD&D chic, do you think we might hear from our old friend Volothamp Geddarm? Maybe in the form of a stasis spell, since the last anyone apparently saw of him was that Storm of Zehir game?

I really miss Volo.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  12:20:56  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Hi Ed and THO,

I was thinking about the Avariel today a bit. Since the Descent of the Drow turned the really bad elves into drow, I was curious if the Avariel were afflicted with this change too? Or were they too far removed from all the problems of the Crown Wars?

Thanks!

Not Ed or THO, but the drow weren't all and only bad elves that participated in the Crown Wars. They were dark elves who participated in one side of the war, elves from a specific people and from specific nations (most think they were related to wood elves, with a darker skin tone, but only turning to full black skin and white hair after the curse). There were no avariel (aril-tel'quessir) among them, for they have disappeared millenia before the Crown Wars.

In Elaine Cunningham's Evermeet: Island of the Elves book, though, there are references to a dark elf of old (of years before the Wars, not a drow) discovering about the winged elves and planning to capture one of them to develop his own force of winged dark elves (he was a master transmuter, it seems, and created some hybrid races through magical experimentation). It never happened, as far as I remember, but this would indicate that there were no known winged dark elves.

Of course, probably THO and Ed will bring more light to your questions...

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 06 Feb 2015 12:21:50
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  16:37:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Arian Dynas, you may have to wait a while, but Ed has said on several occasions: "We haven't seen the last of Volo." So . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Arian Dynas
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  02:30:54  Show Profile Send Arian Dynas a Private Message
quote:

Arian Dynas, you may have to wait a while, but Ed has said on several occasions: "We haven't seen the last of Volo." So . . .
love,
THO

WOO!

Also since you have asked me to "use you"

A few more specific questions! If Bhaal has returned, what does that mean for the remaining Bhaalspawn if there are any? Will the Dead Three reunite? Has Cyric truly lost his power if Bhaal is taking the position of Lord of Murder once more?

Is the Mystra who returned Midnight? Or is it perhaps an older Mystra?

Is Undermountain still ruled by Halaster Blackcloak?

Do we perhaps know anything about Alias, ageless as she is? Perhaps she's Finder's new Chosen by now?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  04:27:52  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
Greetings Ed and THO.

In another post, THO mentioned that

'' I know Ed and others have been working to slip mentions of this or that deity into Realmslore, to reassure fans who ache to know the fate of, say, Eilistraee (just to name one).'' and that made me guess a little bit.

I know that there was material written by Brian James and Eric Menge for 4e Menzoberranzan: CoI that also detailed what happened to Eilistraee and Vhaeraun. That lore was left on the cutting floor, however I'd like to ask -assuming that Ed can talk about it- if the new lore about Eilistraee could be related to what was originally supposed to be in the book.

Thanks for your time.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  04:42:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well, Hel-LO.
Let me go as far as I can in answers, without Ed's aid (he's dining with a publisher tonight, discussing an intriguing new project), as follows . . .

"If Bhaal has returned,"
A: Yes, he has. In what form, this particular mortal doesn't know, and I suspect the vast majority of mortals in the Realms remain unaware, though former clergy are aware of His return.
". . . what does that mean for the remaining Bhaalspawn if there are any?"
A: A few Bhaalspawn still exist. They will probably become Bhaal's servants ("secret agents," if you will), though what missions/tasks he would set for them are mysteries to me (and quite likely everyone in the Realms, too) at the moment.
"Will the Dead Three reunite?"
A: Possible but unlikely. It didn't work out well last time, and none of the three deities enjoyed the experience. If, however, they all saw mutual benefit in doing so (to, for example, defeat Cyric), they know they can work together, so it might happen.
"Has Cyric truly lost his power if Bhaal is taking the position of Lord of Murder once more?"
A: We don't know. Cyric is so delusional that mortals can't trust anything he says about himself or others, so his clergy truly don't know either. Neither do we know if all the returned deities will end up with their old portfolios. Neither Ao nor some sort of Cosmic Balance/Greater Overpower is making deities surrender usurped portfolios and giving them to other deities; gods will have to sort matters out between themselves (and in the past, this has usually meant conflict).
"Is the Mystra who returned Midnight? Or is it perhaps an older Mystra?"
A: This one I can be certain about. Yes, it's Midnight, older and wiser AND with a greater measure of the older Mystra within her - - because she was able to return from death before all the other deities because of the many scattered suppressed echoes and remnants of the older Mystra that survived for her to drift through the Weave to, gather, and reassemble, as well as the silver fire she could take from various Chosen and other mortals (Ed tells me we may learn who a few of those mortals were, in another year or so).
"Is Undermountain still ruled by Halaster Blackcloak?"
A: It hasn't really been ruled by Halaster for some time now. Future status: unknown.
"Do we perhaps know anything about Alias, ageless as she is? Perhaps she's Finder's new Chosen by now?"
A: I know a little, but I'm not at liberty to share. Matters regarding Alias are NDA because of a longstanding agreement between Ed and Jeff Grubb (that has lasted from 1987 until now, and continues). However, that doesn't mean your question will never be answered. The Realms is a vast and wonderful place full of endless hints, mysteries, and fresh revelations, and as Khelben Blackstaff Arunsun was wont to say: We Shall See.

And I hope these answers are of help!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  05:53:15  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message
Wait wait! it was my understanding, from Murder in Baldur's Gate, that there is no more bhaalspawn. IT was Abdel Adrien and one other who killed each other, heralding in bhaal. So now I am confused, if there is bhaalspawn left there is a plothole somewhere.

And according to the 3.5 Undermountain adventure, Blackcloak is dead...or is there a retcon happening there?

Oh and also, OOH! is it possible to elaborate on this agreement? What was the agreement?
Go to Top of Page

Arian Dynas
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  06:10:23  Show Profile Send Arian Dynas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by lordsknight185

Wait wait! it was my understanding, from Murder in Baldur's Gate, that there is no more bhaalspawn. IT was Abdel Adrien and one other who killed each other, heralding in bhaal. So now I am confused, if there is bhaalspawn left there is a plothole somewhere.

And according to the 3.5 Undermountain adventure, Blackcloak is dead...or is there a retcon happening there?

Oh and also, OOH! is it possible to elaborate on this agreement? What was the agreement?

Well if you look at Baldur's Gate, the reality of the bhaalspawn is that there is far more than a score, (presumably Alaundo was speaking metaphorically.) and that their powers and divine essence don't seem to diminish with succeeding generations, (see Abazigal and Draconis) so presumably the Bhaalspawn no longer need to even be direct children of Bhaal. Even then the games (which I count higher than the books, because they directly contradict eachother and the books were written by a hack.) leave open the possibility of (spoilers) Imoen and Abdel (or CHARNAME if you prefer) both remaining alive.

Unless you're talking about something else in which case I'm more out of the loop for recent Realmslore than even I thought.

Either way, I say this! THERE IS NO UNDERMOUNTAIN WITHOUT HALASTER! MUAHWHAWHAHAH!
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  14:12:03  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message
Brian James has hinted that the wizard Flamsterd might be collecting Halaster's remains, so we shall see. As for Bhaalspawn, it's a little difficult to tell because of the mix of game and novel lore but it's entirely possible that a bunch of bhaalspawn, or their descendents survived without making obvious waves and were overlooked.

Which reminds me of a question I had forgotten: with Bhaal's return, is the water downriver of Boareskyr Bridge still tainted with Bhaal's blood and if so, has it been visited by many pilgrims?

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  14:57:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Brian James has hinted that the wizard Flamsterd might be collecting Halaster's remains, so we shall see.

There have also been hints that at least some part of Halaster is still in Undermountain and is, at the least, cognizant of what is going on around him.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  20:15:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, indeed, Wooly.
And I've actually stepped back into the Keep to bring Ed's words in response to this from Irennan: "Oh, so that means that Halruaa actually survived the Spellplague. Well, that's much needed good news. Has all the crazy magic stuff altered Halruaan society, leading people to rely on something else next to magic (especially in the time where the remaining wizards would try to learn to use the new Weave-less magic)? And may we get some hint (probably NDA) on how Halruaa looks now (after -I guess- its people rebuilt what was destroyed), and what has changed with the return of the Weave?" and to MaskedOne's followups. Here's Ed:

Yes, Halruaa survived the Spellplague, and Malcolm relayed what I said very accurately. Yes, all the magical chaos has shattered Halruaan society, in that their "usual ways" and attitudes have been swept away, and every family is questioning their status quo (laws, customs, reliance on magic, assumptions about their place in the world). There was much loss of life, a lot of fear and paranoia, and so as the result of the return of the Weave, a lot of hard work went into variants and "improvements" on the guards and wards spell, placing it permanently in various dwellings (most new Halruaan dwellings look like fortresses, and are readily defensible) and in "rings" around the land (food gardens, ponds, orchards, etc.) immediately surrounding those dwellings. A favorite Halruaan tactic is to have prowling guardian creatures hiding inside thick conjured fogs/mists, so intruders can't see what's approaching and/or watching them. Halruaa no longer has any formal contact with the outside world, so many folk elsewhere in Faerūn may think it is a fallen, abandoned land. And it does have numerous wild magic "zones" along its borders, moved and kept there by the strongest surviving Halruaan spellcasters, as a deterrent to outsiders. Right now, Halruaa is definitely in "leave us alone, nothing to see here, so move along, right away" mode.

So saith Ed. Imparting Realmslore whenever he can.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  20:46:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and I almost forgot to post this reply from Ed to Barastir, re. this: "Even knowing that the original name of the archmage of Undermountain is "Hilather", I wonder if there is a reason for the names of the greatest archmages of the Realms all have the same ending - Halaster, Sammaster and Elminster."

Ed says:
"aster" and "inster" are masculine name endings, and they're all guys, so that's one reason. :}
Seriously, there isn't a "wizards have these names, and these name endings have a magic-related meaning" element here. There are hundreds of known, named powerful "great" archmages in the Realms who have other name-forms. I have worked a few minor mysteries into Realms names, to be found by the interested few in time to come, but that's not one of them. Sorry!

And there you have it. :}
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2015 :  01:06:54  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message
Ed, back in 2012-2013 there was a lot of buzz about the Sundering and much talk that you and perhaps Bob Salvatore would be working with WotC on a new Forgotten Realms Campaign Book.

I know you can't divulge details, but the rumor going around is that WotC has either abandoned the idea or has shelved it indefinitely. Back in early January queries about a FRCS were answered with a "No, we don't plan to make one." and later with a "We might make one someday." Now they don't answer us at all.

The obvious question is, do you know if they are making a Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide for 5e? (but you probably can't answer that one)

Also, are you still working closely with WotC on lore for the gaming world that is Faerun or just the novels?

Are they still listening to you and your ideas like they were a few years ago?

Some of us Realms lovers who were excited about the return of a Realms like the one you envisioned are understandably paranoid WotC is going to pull the plug.

Jesus said, "I am the Ressurection and the Life. Anyone who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and those who live and believe in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2015 :  02:35:00  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
quote:

Yes, indeed, Wooly.
And I've actually stepped back into the Keep to bring Ed's words in response to this from Irennan: "Oh, so that means that Halruaa actually survived the Spellplague. Well, that's much needed good news. Has all the crazy magic stuff altered Halruaan society, leading people to rely on something else next to magic (especially in the time where the remaining wizards would try to learn to use the new Weave-less magic)? And may we get some hint (probably NDA) on how Halruaa looks now (after -I guess- its people rebuilt what was destroyed), and what has changed with the return of the Weave?" and to MaskedOne's followups. Here's Ed:

Yes, Halruaa survived the Spellplague, and Malcolm relayed what I said very accurately. Yes, all the magical chaos has shattered Halruaan society, in that their "usual ways" and attitudes have been swept away, and every family is questioning their status quo (laws, customs, reliance on magic, assumptions about their place in the world). There was much loss of life, a lot of fear and paranoia, and so as the result of the return of the Weave, a lot of hard work went into variants and "improvements" on the guards and wards spell, placing it permanently in various dwellings (most new Halruaan dwellings look like fortresses, and are readily defensible) and in "rings" around the land (food gardens, ponds, orchards, etc.) immediately surrounding those dwellings. A favorite Halruaan tactic is to have prowling guardian creatures hiding inside thick conjured fogs/mists, so intruders can't see what's approaching and/or watching them. Halruaa no longer has any formal contact with the outside world, so many folk elsewhere in Faerūn may think it is a fallen, abandoned land. And it does have numerous wild magic "zones" along its borders, moved and kept there by the strongest surviving Halruaan spellcasters, as a deterrent to outsiders. Right now, Halruaa is definitely in "leave us alone, nothing to see here, so move along, right away" mode.

So saith Ed. Imparting Realmslore whenever he can.
love to all,
THO

Thanks so much for your answer. Halruaa is usually one of the neglected regions in the published FR -and with the new direction that they're taking, I suspect that it will be even more neglected in the future-, so it's nice to see it being developed anyway

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000