Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Waterdeep and the North FR9213
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2014 :  00:50:00  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
If I already have the City of Splendors boxed set, the City System, and Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, is there any reason I should pick up this book/box? Thanks.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2014 :  02:51:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other than its coverage of the North (also in later, non-Waterdeep material), and some of the NPCs, I think just about everything in the book was covered in later sources. Between the City of Splendors boxed set and Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, you've got most of what you would ever need.

You could get it for completeness, of course...

It's not that uncommon a sourcebook, I don't believe, so you should be able to pick one up for a reasonable price, if you want to. Both copies I've purchased were still in shrink-wrap. One was bought from the TSR Mail Order Hobby Shop, back in the day, and predated the rest of the Waterdeep material -- but I found another new, shrink-wrapped copy on eBay back in 2007, when I was replacing all of my Realms stuff.

Another option would be to buy the pdf from drivethrurpg, see if you like it, and if so, track down a print copy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 Dec 2014 02:53:04
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2014 :  03:41:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Completeness for the collector's sake, as Wooly said.

Other than that, there are some minor tidbits referenced in the tome which haven't been developed/printed elsewhere. But not enough to justify purchase of the book unless you really want to add it to your collection.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2014 :  15:04:52  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a related question, if it's not that presumptuous of me to ask here. I have the 3E Waterdeep sourcebook, Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, and Waterdeep and the North. I do not own City of Splendors. Is the same thing still true, or are there things the box covers that the 3e book, Waterdeep and the North, and the Volo's Guide do not cover?

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2014 :  15:45:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

I have a related question, if it's not that presumptuous of me to ask here. I have the 3E Waterdeep sourcebook, Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, and Waterdeep and the North. I do not own City of Splendors. Is the same thing still true, or are there things the box covers that the 3e book, Waterdeep and the North, and the Volo's Guide do not cover?

In your case, I would get the City of Splendors boxed set. While I don't have any issues with the City of Splendors: Waterdeep book, I still think the boxed set is the single most comprehensive source. There is a lot of stuff in there.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2014 :  15:47:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed.

Usually, I see City of Splendors: Waterdeep and Volos Guide to Waterdeep as supplementary sourcebooks [CoS:W especially, since it updates some of the more pertinent source material on Waterdeep] to the main City of Splendors boxed set.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2014 :  15:53:30  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input! It is much appreciated.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2015 :  01:38:12  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In reading through my City of Splendors Campaign Guide, it outright says it incorporates and builds upon the information already included in Waterdeep and the North, so I would go with the City of Splendors boxed set, Volo's Guide to the North, and if you can get it, City System (expensive).
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2015 :  03:41:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

If I already have the City of Splendors boxed set, the City System, and Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, is there any reason I should pick up this book/box? Thanks.

Its got little pictures of the heraldry of all the noble houses.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2015 :  04:23:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In reading through my City of Splendors Campaign Guide, it outright says it incorporates and builds upon the information already included in Waterdeep and the North, so I would go with the City of Splendors boxed set, Volo's Guide to the North, and if you can get it, City System (expensive).

I just saw the City System boxed set on eBay today or yesterday, for $20. I've seen it as low as $5. I've picked up like 3 copies of it, and none of them was more than $15.

(My original copy was lost, and I bought at least one extra, for really cheap, to have extra copies of the maps)

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2015 :  12:57:05  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I just saw the City System boxed set on eBay today or yesterday, for $20. I've seen it as low as $5. I've picked up like 3 copies of it, and none of them was more than $15.

(My original copy was lost, and I bought at least one extra, for really cheap, to have extra copies of the maps)

I've also seen it on Amazon for roughly the same price. You just have to look frequently.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2015 :  19:21:09  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, Delwa, I bought City System for about $10.00 US on Amazon a couple years ago, seeing as it was one of the Waterdeep sources I didn't have a physical copy of. I am thinking of buying a couple more copies (whether online or in a gaming/hobby store) just so I will have extra copies of the maps and the booklet with the building generation and street scene generation (plus making out a pick-pocket list for the NPCs that live there is always fun when an unexpected result happens!).

And the Waterdhavian in me has to have all of the resource books for Waterdeep, no matter how many of them have the same lore/game info. I like knowing what is going on/has happened in my home city [Waterdeep is the first city I was introduced to in the Forgotten Realms, so it is my home city in the Realms...nearly all my Realms characters in DnD have lived there for some length of time]. I have all the sourcebooks as .pdf files, but I have two of them as physical copies [City System [2e], Waterdeep: City of Splendors [3.x]). I still need a physical copy of City of Splendors box set, Waterdeep and the North, and Volo's Guide to Waterdeep. Heck, I even got the Neverwinter Campaign Guide [4e] and the 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign and Player's Guides because they have some info/lore on Waterdeep post-Spellplague (stuff I may include in my Realms whether I use the Spellplague or not).

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?

Edited by - Xnella Moonblade-Thann on 05 Jan 2015 20:40:27
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2015 :  20:55:48  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye. I'm on a similar journey myself, collecting all the Waterdeep/Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter/ name a Sword Coast city sources as possible. I have a few PC's that would be interested in doing a City-based game that goes on for years IRL, I just am waiting on my bank account to agree with my Amazon Wishlist so I have enough source material to keep the wheels chugging when I get strapped for ideas.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2015 :  22:19:03  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, not having enough coin in my coinpurse has me at the same crossroads...but if Lady Luck smiles upon me, mayhaps I might have a change in fortunes? I'll have to toss a coin or two her way first, then maybe Tymora can bless me?

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2015 :  17:28:41  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To get City System complete, you're looking at $30-50 minimum.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2015 :  04:16:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To get City System complete, you're looking at $30-50 minimum.

Quoting myself, from a couple of days ago...

quote:

All it takes is some patience and keeping an eye out. There has been a lot of stuff on eBay that I've seen going for unreasonably high prices -- but I was patient and waited, and got the stuff for very reasonable prices. I bought all of the original Iron Kingdoms RPG books, in very good condition, for less than their original cover prices. I got a copy of The Five Shires in very good condition for something like $20 or $25. And I don't think I've ever paid more than cover price for any FR material -- even complete sets of the Double Diamond Triangle Saga.

So it is easily possible to get the complete City System boxed set for under $30.

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2015 :  18:40:21  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well it's also possible for a meteor to hit my house..... :) my problem is my players are on the way to Waterdeep now, so I have what need but had to pay more than I probably would have could I have watched for a year or so.

On a side note: does anyone have a GOOD copy of Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast? The ones are ebay are $25+ for "good" condition (which isn't that good) and others are in pretty rough shape. I'm willing to pay more for one that is in VG condition. Please PM me. I'm in need of it ASAP.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2015 :  23:36:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can get the pdf right now, for $10, from drivethrurpg.com.

Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2015 :  03:30:54  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
People are still scared of PDF's, but they saved my organizing and planning many a campaigns.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  12:52:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an eBay auction for the City System boxed set, currently going for $20. The box is beat to crap, but it looks like the contents are good.

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  19:43:45  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still not sure i got an answer to this. I have City System, Volo's guide, and the Waterdeep boxed set. Is there any value in having the supplement in the title? thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  21:16:28  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Still not sure i got an answer to this. I have City System, Volo's guide, and the Waterdeep boxed set. Is there any value in having the supplement in the title? thanks.

If I'm understanding Wooly right, other than completion and some info about the North, your bases are covered with what you have.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2015 :  06:01:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's not going to give you much information that isn't in the sources you already have. I would get it for completeness, but if you're just looking for info and/or you don't want to spend extra money, then you can skip it.

My fave Waterdeep supplements are Volo's Guide to Waterdeep and the City of Splendors boxed set, and I refer to them more oft than other Waterdeep sources.

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2015 :  02:11:40  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It's not going to give you much information that isn't in the sources you already have. I would get it for completeness, but if you're just looking for info and/or you don't want to spend extra money, then you can skip it.

My fave Waterdeep supplements are Volo's Guide to Waterdeep and the City of Splendors boxed set, and I refer to them more oft than other Waterdeep sources.

Thank you. At some point I'll likely get "Waterdeep and the North" but for now I got the bases covered.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000