Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Red Knight and Tethyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Master_Sylvius
Acolyte

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2014 :  22:35:05  Show Profile Send Master_Sylvius a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hail friends and seasons' greetings to all! May Lathander's smile and Chauntea's generous bosom offer you all you may wish for in the year to come!

For my first post in this venerable encyclopedia of Realms lore, I would like to address one of the things that has puzzled the Tehryr loving DM that I am for several years now. Maybe some of the folks "in the know" could shed some light on my interrogations...

According to official sources, the Red Knight was present in a civil war afflicted Tethyr during the Avatar Crisis and literally saved the realm with a small force from legions of monsters. However, according to the same sources, Tethyrians seem to have forgotten all about it after the events of 1358 as none of them seem to have showed what I would have expected: religious devotion towards their savior.

The Red Knight is not listed anywhere the principal deities worshiped in Tethyr not does she have any temple of note in a realm she supposedly saved from rampage... My question is WHY?

True, the seat of her faith is located not very far, near Baldur's Gate. But still, could we not have seen her clergy invited to build another temple where she campaigned?

Furthermore, in a realm torn apart by civil strife, wouldn't her clergy had a role to play in the Reclamation Wars as they knew the land well for having campaigned in it a decade before?

Since His Holiness Greenwood has permitted humble DMs to play with the events that unfolded in the Realms, my campaign had Lady Bloodhawk reclaim and rebuild Castle Tethyr and use it as a base of operations for her mercenary band. She then helped pacify the surrounding region and commoners came back to form a small city around the kees whose livelihood is centered around catering to the needs of what has become the Red Knight's Holy Legion. A legion that helped my players and Zaranda win the reclamation War.

Elves...Bah Humbug!

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  03:52:00  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always felt the Red Knight, an extremely recent mortal-turned-deity character, to be so greatly unknown. I always felt as if she sprung from no where, defended marvelously in one battle, and then was suddenly granted godhood.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  06:27:23  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An incredibly similar question was posed here in the past month and I'll say the same thing as I said there:

The Red Knight is seen by the majority as merely an aspect of Tempus. Most people worship her at shrines in temples of Tempus rather than erect actual temples to her.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  12:13:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty certain the mortal identity of the Red Knight is unknown. So the folk of Tethyr don't know that they were saved by a deity; they know they were saved by a mortal woman.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2015 :  21:14:00  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm pretty certain the mortal identity of the Red Knight is unknown. So the folk of Tethyr don't know that they were saved by a deity; they know they were saved by a mortal woman.

This is my understanding and belief as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Last Zulkir
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  18:20:15  Show Profile Send The Last Zulkir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a note: is there anywhere I can go for more information on the Red Knight's time in Tethyr? My party are going to be passing through there, and I've been struggling for adventure seeds for a low level party. Something around the Red Knight's legacy could be cool.
Go to Top of Page

Driekan
Acolyte

Brazil
4 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2015 :  19:51:30  Show Profile Send Driekan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a piece of the lore that is a bit... hard to interpret. You will find some sources indicating that the Red Knight as a deity pre-existed the Spellplague, and merely took that woman as her avatar. Other sources have her being the ascended woman.

The goddess does seem to be very popular with players, so we are likely to get answers and fleshing out of this matter eventually.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2015 :  20:40:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Last Zulkir

Just a note: is there anywhere I can go for more information on the Red Knight's time in Tethyr? My party are going to be passing through there, and I've been struggling for adventure seeds for a low level party. Something around the Red Knight's legacy could be cool.

The best resource that I know of is in Powers and Pantheons from 2nd edition. It details who the person was, that they were a mortal acting as an avatar, that people didn't know she was the red knight, and that afterward she raised up a temple dedicated to the red knight.

Here's some from that resource:

The Citadel of Strategic Militancy has arisen as the center of the Red Knight's faith outside of the aegis of the church of Tempus. Located at the juncture of the Coast Way and Thundar's Ride, approximately 40 miles northeast of Baldur's Gate, this small castle was the hold of the Bloodhawk clan, part of the minor, self-styled nobility scattered throughout the region encompassing the Fields of the Dead. The castle was built by Taric Bloodhawk over a century ago with money he plundered from an orc chieftain's secret horde during the battles of the Year of the Lost Lady (1241 DR).

During the night of the Fall of the Gods, Lady Kaitlin Tindall Bloodhawk, sole heir of Lord Ronlar Bloodhawk, was exploring the ruins enveloping the village of Tempus's Tears with the rest of her adventuring band, the Company of the Red Falcon. During the night, she was possessed by the Lady of Strategy to serve as her avatar host. The Red Knight forged the Company of the Red Falcon into a small, but powerful, mercenary company. She led the band south where the group was single-handedly responible for eradicating an army of monsters that swarmed out of the Forest of Tethir and threatened to overrun the northeastern quarter of beleaguered Tethyr. The strategic genius of the Red Knight enabled the Company to triumph against overwhelming odds and forever earned them a place in Tethyr's history.

When Lady Kaitlin returned to her ancestral home at the conclusion of the Godswar, however, she found the lands pillaged, the castle a smoking ruin, and all of the inhabitants put to the sword. Broken-hearted, she vowed revenge, but she could never discover the perpetrators of the foul deed. In her family's memory, she rebuilt the castle and dedicated it as a temple to the Red Knight.

Today the Citadel of Strategic Militancy is a bastion of military might and serves as the home of the newly founded Red War College. This school caters to military officers throughout the Realms who are sponsored by their lieges to study strategy and planning. The Citadel's walls are checkered with red and white marble, and a blood red dome tops the central keep. The central chapel is a giant lanceboard on which the priesthood engages in strategic battles during religious ceremonies. Farmlands in a 20-mile radius are worked by peasants who gladly embrace the Citadel's expanding hegemony. The havrested land serves as a training field in the cold winter months. High Lady Bloodhawk admnisters the burgeoning complex in the name of her liege, the Red Knight, and serves as First Lady Knight of the Red Standard (high priestess) of the faith.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000