Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 'Elminster in Myth Drannor' - spells from novel?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

StarFyre
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2014 :  11:38:23  Show Profile Send StarFyre a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello,

I read that this book has lots of unique spells mentioned...

Just wondering if anyone has taken notes on these? tried some searches but didn't find anything other than a single spell someone on this site created based on info in the book.

Regards,

Sanjay

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2014 :  12:29:30  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I asked this question before about various novels. The general consensus is the spells are in various sourcebooks but are named something different for reasons of immersiveness in the Realms. Also, what was once called "Banjo the Clow's Evil Warding Extravaganza" eventually gets shortened to, say, Protection from Evil. That and the fact that some of Ed's spells have never made it into print because they don't mesh well with the current rules at the time a novel was written. For instance, the 2e Mantle spell (from the Magister sourcebook) doesn't translate well into 3e.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2014 :  12:42:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or the spells could be unique magic that the caster in question formed then and there on the fly. They never existed before and may never exist again unless the caster writes them down.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2014 :  15:53:19  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you can, find a copy of Dragon Magazine Annual from 1997. It has an article written by Ed detailing many of the spells that show up in El in Myth Drannor, including some that didn't make the final cut of the novel. Included are mantles, spell webs, lifequench, and blood dragon, among others.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2014 :  18:40:22  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This novel is on my list of books to collect lore from, but it's way down the line.

On another note: If I could cast one spell, it would be Summon Eric Boyd's Lore Collecting Power. I bet he's got all the spells from "Elminster in Myth Drannor" and then some.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2014 :  23:06:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

On another note: If I could cast one spell, it would be Summon Eric Boyd's Lore Collecting Power. I bet he's got all the spells from "Elminster in Myth Drannor" and then some.

In the 3E days, if you cast that spell, I appeared!

I don't help him out these days half as well or as much as I'd like to.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2014 :  03:44:48  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I asked this question before about various novels. The general consensus is the spells are in various sourcebooks but are named something different for reasons of immersiveness in the Realms. Also, what was once called "Banjo the Clow's Evil Warding Extravaganza" eventually gets shortened to, say, Protection from Evil.

Uh, in the series where functionality is described?
Of course, a lot of spells are lots of "close enough, but with specialization/limitation/tweak" sort - existing examples (lightning- and magic missile- reflection, Dispel Shunt) give a general idea.
There's the opposite, too - IIRC Pages from the Mages had variations of "known" spells.

So e.g. Mruster's Twist is close to Absorption, except the original spell appears working, but affects nothing; however, it cannot store (needs to be used immediately), from the description its caster gets some contest against each incoming spell (on loss presumably defaults to spell turning), and it may or may not be able to absorb divine spells. It's no puzzle which level to assign, given Absorption is at 9 and Spell Turning at 7.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000