Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 I need a Cormyrian noble family...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  16:36:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One of my on-again, off-again projects is currently on-again, and I am working on the background for a particular NPC.

What I need is a Cormyrian noble family, with interests -- and perhaps a branch of the family -- in Waterdeep. It needs to be enough of a connection that it would not be unreasonable for a second or third son of the Cormyrian family to be sent to Waterdeep, where he would have some influence on the family's interests.

This would not be an exile, either, more a case of "his talents are wasted here, because of his elder brother(s), but he could do us some good in Waterdeep."

I want to use this connection to transplant this NPC from Cormyr to Waterdeep; he would be accompanying the noble son, but is not nobility himself.

This project is set in the 1375ish era, but can be readily moved to the 4E/5E era with just a couple of tweaks.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  17:11:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Roaringhorns. Branches in both Cormyr and the City of Splendors.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  19:51:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Roaringhorns. Branches in both Cormyr and the City of Splendors.

-- George Krashos

That was the only one I saw on my perusal of the Waterdeep material... Are the two branches close enough for this idea?

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  22:41:14  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Rallyhorns are another example.

Some of them came to Waterdeep after Azoun V enacted the Suzail Writ, and with it diminished noble power in Cormyr.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That was the only one I saw on my perusal of the Waterdeep material... Are the two branches close enough for this idea?

I'm not George, but I can tell you the Roaringhorns have been in both Waterdeep and Cormyr for several centuries. So much so it's not known for sure in which place the family first attained noble status.

They are "distantly related" (according to the Eye on the Realms article "The Hunter of False Nobles" by Ed Greenwood), whereas the Rallyhorns are still close in blood ties.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2014 :  02:51:58  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just curiously, is there a noble family that hits the trifecta? Cormyr, Waterdeep, and Tethyr?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2014 :  04:53:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

Just curiously, is there a noble family that hits the trifecta? Cormyr, Waterdeep, and Tethyr?

There's a lot more noble families in Waterdeep with close ties to Tethyr, I believe, than there are Cormyrean families with ties to Tethyr.

Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2014 :  17:23:51  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Rymac: I know the Thann family from Waterdeep has some members in Tethyr, but since they are merchants, they could have some sort of hand in Cormyr too? I don't know if that is possible from cannon lore, but you could always houserule it.

@Wooly: Maybe you could make up a family that is noble in Cormyr, and is trying to attain noble status in Waterdeep?

FWIW, that's my two coppers.

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2014 :  06:59:38  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There's a lot more noble families in Waterdeep with close ties to Tethyr, I believe, than there are Cormyrean families with ties to Tethyr.

I hate answering my own question! ''

It dawned on me coming home Sunday night. I recalled there was a Roaringhorn in Tethyr. Holver Roaringhorn, Count of Valashar. Granted, it's from the 2nd edition Lands of Intrigue boxed set, so the lore may be out of date at this point (if we're talking the Forgotten Realms of 4th or 5th edition D&D).
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  14:18:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Ed contributes this:

If you're playing a Realms campaign set at the end of the 1400s, Holver's great-grandson Rauthrel is Count, is married with three young children (son Faeren, daughters Ilyth and the baby Avreene), and is still very much a resident of Tethyr.
Holver's father was Galdant, his father was Rorel, and Rorel's father was Holver.
There are flourishing Roaringhorn families in both Waterdeep and Cormyr. If you're looking for dashing adventurer (or interested in investing in adventurers) types, the swordsman and bon vivant Sereld Roaringhorn and his femme fatale sister Reldaera are socially prominent in Waterdeep, and Eskendur and his younger brother Orlond are fighting and adventuring types in Cormyr.
Yes, I keep notes. ;}

So saith Ed. Hope this is of help!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  14:20:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I should say that Ed hinted that there's a problem or two brewing in Waterdeep that all of you may learn more about eventually, and the Roaringhorns, like many other noble and non-noble Waterdhavian families, will be affected by it or caught up in it or very much interested in it. But of course, NDA rise like a wall of hostile shields . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  15:06:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Oh, and I should say that Ed hinted that there's a problem or two brewing in Waterdeep that all of you may learn more about eventually, and the Roaringhorns, like many other noble and non-noble Waterdhavian families, will be affected by it or caught up in it or very much interested in it. But of course, NDA rise like a wall of hostile shields . . .
love,
THO

That sounds interesting...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  15:21:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And Ed contributes this:

If you're playing a Realms campaign set at the end of the 1400s, Holver's great-grandson Rauthrel is Count, is married with three young children (son Faeren, daughters Ilyth and the baby Avreene), and is still very much a resident of Tethyr.
Holver's father was Galdant, his father was Rorel, and Rorel's father was Holver.
There are flourishing Roaringhorn families in both Waterdeep and Cormyr. If you're looking for dashing adventurer (or interested in investing in adventurers) types, the swordsman and bon vivant Sereld Roaringhorn and his femme fatale sister Reldaera are socially prominent in Waterdeep, and Eskendur and his younger brother Orlond are fighting and adventuring types in Cormyr.
Yes, I keep notes. ;}

So saith Ed. Hope this is of help!
love,
THO

Some good lore, my Lady, and it is appreciated... But what I am specifically looking for is a Cormyrean noble family with an active enough connection to their Waterdhavian relatives that sending a younger son from Cormyr to assist with business in Waterdeep wouldn't be a big deal.

With branches that are firmly entrenched in both places and have been there a while, it's not as likely that a relative from one branch would be accepted and given responsibilities by the other branch, I'm thinking -- unless the families actively make a practice of sending members back and forth.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  18:36:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From my playing experiences, the Roaringhorns in the mid 1300s DR had close ties back and forth between Cormyr and Waterdeep, cooperating on trade and investments, and younger family members got sent in both directions once a year or two on such matters and to "learn how the others live, and what their home turf is like," with occasional less-planned journeys when a Roaringhorn got into trouble with the authorities or senior family members (the easiest thing to do was pack them off to the other place, to live there for a time while things cooled down, or while a particular uncle or aunt "took them under wing" and taught /showed them a thing or two).
The families that I recall that have branches in both Cormyr and Waterdeep are the Rallyhorns and the Roaringhorns - - and although they lack noble standing in Waterdeep, a handful of Goldswords fled Cormyr in a hurry following the events of CORMYR: A NOVEL and took up residence in Waterdeep, living and behaving as they always did (i.e. as arrogant, freely-spending nobility).
I'll ask Ed if there are any other families represented in both places, that can fit your needs.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  19:08:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

From my playing experiences, the Roaringhorns in the mid 1300s DR had close ties back and forth between Cormyr and Waterdeep, cooperating on trade and investments, and younger family members got sent in both directions once a year or two on such matters and to "learn how the others live, and what their home turf is like," with occasional less-planned journeys when a Roaringhorn got into trouble with the authorities or senior family members (the easiest thing to do was pack them off to the other place, to live there for a time while things cooled down, or while a particular uncle or aunt "took them under wing" and taught /showed them a thing or two).
The families that I recall that have branches in both Cormyr and Waterdeep are the Rallyhorns and the Roaringhorns - - and although they lack noble standing in Waterdeep, a handful of Goldswords fled Cormyr in a hurry following the events of CORMYR: A NOVEL and took up residence in Waterdeep, living and behaving as they always did (i.e. as arrogant, freely-spending nobility).
I'll ask Ed if there are any other families represented in both places, that can fit your needs.
love,
THO

Actually, my Lady, this serves my needs well enough! (Well, my needs for lore, that is... We can discuss the rest. )

Thank you for the information, O Hooded Temptress, and best wishes for a Merry Christmas to you and Ed!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000