Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Will you walk away if Wizards doesn't deliver?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  14:09:28  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
If Wizards doesn't deliver on the Forgotten Realms content that most people want and instead give us a return of FR from the previous edition, will you walk away from Wizards with regards to FR and only use old material from here on out?

Choices:

Yes.
No.
Undecided.
I''ve already walked away.

(Anonymous Vote)

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  14:40:24  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep. I'll still get my hands on lore through some means or another so walking away isn't such a problem for me. I really want to give them a chance though so I'm willing to wait and see if they manage to increase their momentum. It's really going to come down to how much input Ed has in what gets put into their products. Currently I lead toward walking away because I've been rather unimpressed thus far.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  14:41:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as I disliked the 4E Realms, there were a few nuggets of good lore here and there.

I've put way too much time and effort into the Realms to just walk away. I've created a lot of my own stuff, and I've built a collection of just about everything in print (save for the later novels) not just once, but twice. WotC would have to try really hard to get me to walk away. I'd be more likely to do what I did with 4E: sit on my gaming dollars and hope for better with the next edition.

But really, I think that all of this talk about how we're going to react to, or what form the next edition material is even going to take, is more than a little moot at this point. I'm not going to judge WotC or make decisions on the material until we have it in hand -- or at the least, a very good idea of what is coming.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  14:43:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would I abandon The Realms? Would you walk-away from a family member in their time of greatest need?

We DO NOT have to rely on WotC for good FR content. In fact, I am now of the opinion that they should just stick to good gaming content, and leave the lore to... others.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  15:48:59  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will I walk away from my favourite hobby - never.

Will I buy substandard, generic, garbage.

Therein lies the paradox. Am I abandoning the setting if I refuse to pay for its continued development because I disagree with the direction.

I personally think I am not walking away because I will always be working in things for it that I hope others may find useful. Others may disagree however.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  16:11:54  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think some of you might be confused as to "walking away". I did mention in the opening post about using old material. I was talking about walking away from Wotc and just going back to using what you already have. Would you wait for FR 6th edition if this one doesn't deliver?

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  16:37:48  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In that case I have already walked and im several hundred miles away

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  18:27:40  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea, I cut way back on my D&D purchases toward the end of 3e, but I'm still "here." Actually I almost mutinied with the map switch at the beginning of 3e. The last page or two of the Grand History finally told me that WotC had lost its marbles, but I still bought the 4e PH when it came out in order to try that system. But that came to an abrupt halt when I saw the FR Campaign Guide. Fast forward a few years and I have the three core books for 5e and I'm eagerly awaiting Realms books... no commitment though. The days of "ooh, new FR book, must get" ended around 2003. Since then I've continued enjoying the older books and building my own content. Lately, I've discovered the joys of poking THO and Ed here... and now what do I need WotC for?

If 5e tanks, I'll write up a proposal for 6e. It WotC folds, I'll wait to see who buys it. The IP isn't going to die... it's just a question of whether those who control it are gamers or greedy corporate types. The latter will go the way of the dodo, but roleplaying will persist. And the Realms existed before D&D, and it will still be here after D&D is gone.

So... no worries.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  20:31:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like many, I just want to see what happens. With 4e, I bought the initial books. I will say that 4e rule-wise sucked. However, some of the 4e concepts were very good. For instance, I was glad to see them giving some focus to the feywild, and I like the general direction they were taking it. The problem was since I didn't like their basic rules, I didn't buy much at all. What few dragon articles I heard about and read that came from the people here at Candlekeep, I have to say I rather enjoyed them, even if some of the ideas didn't mesh with where I wanted the world to go. But, I got those dragon articles by paying for like a month of DDI every 2 years and downloading the backlogs.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  21:43:05  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, the Setting as a whole isn't necessarily going into a terrible direction currently. While I wholeheartedly disagree with this "Sundering" thing-y they've devised to re-introduce (IMO) terrible concepts into the Realms again, I'm under no contract to actually use that in MY Realms games. Canon is, and have always been, something a person should NEVER feel obligated to follow to the letter because one can never follow it the moment they decide to run a Realms game. So when they bring back elements I despise (my feelings are already well known about certain regions and deities) I'm going to just ignore them. When they remove or destroy elements I enjoy, I'll keep them. But there's a chance that there will be at least SOME information in the new books that I can use in my games.

Edited by - Diffan on 20 Dec 2014 21:43:56
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  22:15:03  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you mean stop using the Realms as a gaming setting, then probably never. If you mean stop buying new WotC Realms product then I'm already there. Outside of the Elminster's FR book and a few more recent novels the dying days of 3e/beginning of 4e were the end of my desire to own everything Realms, sight unseen. At first I just transferred the need to buy everything over to Paizo and various 3rd party Pathfinder producing companies, now I'm content to mostly just use the material I have unless something new wows me. I hope the 5e Realms achieves that, but so far it hasn't.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  22:46:03  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will I walk away?

Hell to the %$#@ing no! Why would I do that?

Why curtail my own fun and enjoyment of the Realms and sit out a whole edition just because the front end isn't what I'd hoped it would be?

If I'd done that, I would never have gotten the chance to enjoy Ed's Eye on the Realms articles, nor would I discovered that I enjoy collecting Realmslore.

In a sense I do "sit out" the Realms--and I have done so for a long time--but only to the extent that the work of certain authors, as well as books on certain regions, don't interest me as much as others, so I don't purchase them.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2014 :  02:13:48  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't like the majority of 4e, but I stuck with it because I wanted to know what happens, and there were some good 4e novels. Unless the FR universe truly becomes terrible and there is nothing to hold my interest, I will stick with it.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2014 :  07:37:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I was lamenting to Steven Schend many years ago about some of the 2E to 3E FR changes I was struggling with - because my take of course was "better": ah the hubris of youth - he chided me gently and correctly pointed out that if the Realms went belly up tomorrow I still had 13 years of accumulated FR products and my own imagination to get me through it!

I love the Realms and won't be leaving any time soon. I might not stay current with WotC, might not even buy their products, but I'll never leave the Realms. I'm still making payments on my tallhouse in Lyrabar.

Simply by sticking around here at the 'Keep means that we are directly and indirectly supporting the Realms. That might just have to be good enough.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 21 Dec 2014 07:38:58
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2014 :  13:48:09  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will never 'walk away' from the Realms. I have already walked away from WotC's Realms and come here to Candlekeep for my 'Realms fix'.

@Marcus, what if it wasn't a family member that one was walking away from, but a doppleganger that had replaced that particular family member?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2014 :  21:21:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't say you shouldn't walk away from/ignore a particular iteration of The Realms.

What I said was that one does not simply 'walk away from THE REALMS'. A lot of us here weren't happy with 4e... and yet, here we are. The Realms doesn't exist in Renton, WA. It doesn't even exist in Ed's basement. It exist in our hearts - its a part of us now.

All that lore - all those books - we will always have that.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Dec 2014 21:21:54
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2014 :  21:36:28  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I walked away from WOTC long ago at the end of 3rd/3.5 edition. I have owned very printed source book and supplement ever published for 3rd and 3.5 edition both Realms and AD&D related.

I can honestly say I enjoy the Realms far more now AFTER I made a conscious decision to studiously ignore the events after. I do not feel as though I've missed out on anything having done so. In fact, it's only caused me to delve even further into the 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition Realms lore and I've only fallen more and more in love with it.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2014 :  22:36:18  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I didn't say you shouldn't walk away from/ignore a particular iteration of The Realms.

What I said was that one does not simply 'walk away from THE REALMS'. A lot of us here weren't happy with 4e... and yet, here we are. The Realms doesn't exist in Renton, WA. It doesn't even exist in Ed's basement. It exist in our hearts - its a part of us now.

Very true.

Though I wouldn't mind a few years reading notes and other super secret squirrel stuff in Ed's basement. And armed with my scanner/printer! hehehe
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2014 :  16:56:11  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have. I am kinda not reading books until I see Paul Kemp, Richard Lee Byers and some others get contracted to write new books.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2014 :  23:05:54  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No need to vote - I walked away from Wizbro years ago.

I sometimes adapt select lore from their offerings, now and then I amuse myself with their latest writings, but their canon Realmslore and what I find enjoyable in Realmslore diverged dramatically a few editions past.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  00:09:10  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Very true.

Though I wouldn't mind a few years reading notes and other super secret squirrel stuff in Ed's basement. And armed with my scanner/printer! hehehe

I'd be happy for an unmolested hour and a sneaky Minolta spy camera.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 23 Dec 2014 00:09:59
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  00:24:07  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well with the lack of novels I am losing interest.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  13:06:40  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

If Wizards doesn't deliver on the Forgotten Realms content that most people want and instead give us a return of FR from the previous edition, will you walk away from Wizards with regards to FR and only use old material from here on out?

Already walked away.

Give Wizards another 10 years and someone will get a "bright idea" and blow it up again.

I have everything I need in my 1E & 2E Books.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  16:39:39  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Already walked away. I've bought the 5e core books, but I've no interest in the FR line until they increase the number of novels published per year, and/or bring back two or three of my favorite FR novel writers.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  18:13:37  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have almost completed my FR AD&D 2nd Edition collection and that's where I'm at. I like leafing through these books for fluff though I never actually run or play these days.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  21:40:15  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am going by the webpage by what’s available, and what’s going to be available.
So I question, what are we threatening to walk away from what exactly? Wizards isn’t producing anything. Novels seem to be down to three authors. There is no general campaign setting product, or even regional campaign product, Like Waterdeep, Skullport, The North and such. What are we walking away from?
This is like the jilted boyfriend who sees his girlfriend in a car with another guy, after not seeing her for 5 months, and texts her that it’s not working out.

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  21:44:26  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For an accurate cross-section, I'll add my vote. Haven't purchased anything since 4E FRCG (and would have returned it if I could). Guess that means I've already walked.

Edit: Oh, Godborn and EoJ

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 23 Dec 2014 21:47:09
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  22:24:38  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Walk away is not the best term. It's a crude blanket term that locks one into a set pattern without input from future changes.

I think all of us have at some point or another been selective in our support of the published Realms. The break away point and returning point varies for everyone. Sometimes it's a single project, sometimes an entire edition.

Speaking for myself, in previous editions (3E) I've skipped single projects, I've tried to back-fill the 1E/2E catalog as time and funds permit (that's balanced between FR, Planescape, and more recently Spelljammer, Al-Qadim, and some 2E core supplements).

For 4E it was the entire line. It was not until after the release period did I pick up the FRCG, for completeness sake and to keep apprised of the new baseline for the setting. Reading the book in detailed did not improve upon the impression gained from perusal in the store years before, that was unfortunate.

For 5E I have the PHB, the two printed Sundering adventures, Dragonspear Castle GenCon exclusive, and the two hardback Tyranny adventures. This was mostly due to there being actual Realms stuff being published and to check out the new direction.

Honestly, without a new FRCG/FRCS there's not much to actually "walk away" from. It's still a wait and see period, and I think that's perhaps best. FR came out of the gate right at the heels of the Core set for both 3E and 4E and suffered for it each time. Each time we saw a more polished and better thought-out example in Eberron. Might be best to let Wizards get some practice with the new rules and project line before they dive into any major Realms offering.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  22:43:05  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

... Dragonspear Castle GenCon exclusive, ...

And now exclusively available at the dndclassics(dot)com

I run a support group on Thursday nights for others who got ravaged on Ebay to get their "exclusive" copies.

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  22:51:51  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's why it was best to order direct and ask someone you know pick it up at GenCon even if you didn't attend yourself. Even then, when Ebay was flooded with the books, the prices weren't so bad as I've read several early reviews from people who snagged a copy on Ebay for not much more than base price (and that was including shipping).
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  23:40:19  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

That's why it was best to order direct and ask someone you know pick it up at GenCon even if you didn't attend yourself.

All the people i know have jobs.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000