Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Sundering novels... to read/listen?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2014 :  21:58:42  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've just picked up the first two (Companions and Godborn), and am interested to hear what the community thinks of the series now that the books are out. I haven't jumped into the 'new' Realms novels yet (outside of the PHB and The Tyranny of Dragons adventure series - which I hope to run).

I understand each are stand alone with some Easter eggs planted. What about narration on Audible? Weaker/stronger stories? Better to read/listen in sequence? Im a fan of Paul's writing (have commented on before here at CK re: Erevis Cale) as well as RAS's work - admittedly only halfway through the slew of Drizzt books - and am curious what others think. Was it well done and worth your time?

Thanks!

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2014 :  23:25:20  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked all of the Sundering novels, personally. Godborn and the Herald were my favorite. I didn't have some of the same expectations others here had for the series, I was expecting less explanation on what the Sundering was and more just a "from the eyes of the common adventurer," so overall I'm happy with the story.
To me, it progressed the Realms forward without giving me a lot of details I "have" to fit in my home game.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2014 :  23:54:16  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great to hear, Delwa. Thanks for sharing. Like you, I am not expecting much of an explanation and want a true point of view story set in the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  01:47:37  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you don't expect the Sundering series to detail the Sundering, then you won't be disappointed.

I liked the books individually (Companions, Godborn and Adversary would be my top picks in no specific order), but didn't like how they explained so little about the Sundering. Heck, both the Companions and Godborn barely had anything to do with it. It just didn't feel like an actual series.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".

Edited by - Tanthalas on 20 Dec 2014 01:48:56
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  01:56:19  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect it's difficult to make a "series" really click with: 1) so many different authors and 2) the situation in which these books were released (ie, coincident/just before a new edition). Probably a LOT of coordination involved. As an author, it's difficulty enough to keep consistent on your own! :)

Edited by - 9thChapter on 20 Dec 2014 17:05:29
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  02:28:04  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have only read Godborn and while I found it slightly disappointing compared to Kemp's previous works, I have no idea why it was included in The Sundering. There was little to no mention of that world-shaking event. I believe I read here that Paul had to change the story to fit that event, but I couldn't detect it. I wish I had a first draft to compare it to.

Edit: Other than perhaps the Lathander/Amauntur(sp?) schism/heresy.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 20 Dec 2014 02:32:42
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  14:54:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

I have only read Godborn and while I found it slightly disappointing compared to Kemp's previous works, I have no idea why it was included in The Sundering. There was little to no mention of that world-shaking event. I believe I read here that Paul had to change the story to fit that event, but I couldn't detect it. I wish I had a first draft to compare it to.

I'd say it did more than that. We saw that the world is changing, Mask is returning, and Shade got taken down a notch or two.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  15:40:49  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye. Each novel gave us an adventurer's viewpoint on what it was like to live through the Sundering. We even got a vague image of what it was like from a commoner's perspective with the description of the rain over the Sea of Fallen Stars.
That's exactly what Ed told us the series would be, that the gods would be very much in the background.
I just got finished reading the Avatar trilogy this past week. (Loved the story, the writing style not so much) and when I think about it, we kinda got the same deal there. We got an adventurer's eye view of the Time of Troubles, granted the gods were more front and center, but we didn't get details on where each and every deity was during the Time of Troubles. That came later. (Reading Prince of Lies now, so I'll find out how much later, later.)

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2014 :  04:20:28  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Gods come and go, the pantheon rearranges itself periodically. The fates of certain power groups rise and fall, but when the planet shakes and shifts it would be nice to get an explanation instead of ignoring the elephant in the room.

I'd say it did more than that. We saw that the world is changing, Mask is returning, and Shade got taken down a notch or two.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2014 :  04:21:31  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

[quote]Originally posted by Fellfire

Gods come and go, the pantheon rearranges itself periodically. The fates of certain power groups rise and fall, but when the planet shakes and shifts it would be nice to get an explanation instead of ignoring the elephant in the room.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000