Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A question about Ordulin...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2014 :  17:49:26  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi!

I would like to be updated to the current situation of Ordulin, after the events described in the Sundering's novels.

Has been in ruin for years (since 1374DR) it seems... But I don't know nothing more than this.

Can any scribe help me on this? Thanks!

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2014 :  19:58:36  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far as I know there have been no updates.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2014 :  06:48:01  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were at least two modules in which Ordulin was featured in the Living Forgotten Realms series but they were all written after WotC dropped their support so they would be non-canon.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 19 Dec 2014 10:27:46
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2014 :  07:19:44  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I checked my notes from the various Eye on the Realms articles that have been released over the last few years, but I could not find anything on Ordulin.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2014 :  14:06:23  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks folks for your support! Appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  10:55:44  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the final part of "Godborn", Mr Kemp states:

"Past Mags, through the shadowed sky, Cale saw the mountain of Sakkors plummeting earthward. Ordulin would be pulverized."

So the fate of the city is sealed... but!

Since there are so many reasons to not consider the city simply gone (a short list follows)...
  • The bones of Furlinstastis the dragon.
  • The ruins of Volumvax's tower.
  • The resting place of two shade's princes (even if it will require a LOT of digging to locate it )
  • The twisted remains of the Eye of Shar
  • The stone on which Mask is reborn
  • Pages from the Leaves of one Night
  • The spot on the ground where Vasen writes his faith...
  • The city was the starting and ending point of the Cycle of Night!

I'm wondering if you can suggest me some ways to save at least some parts of the ruins!

It is not so easy to image the results of such an impact (A mountain's top falling onto a city is not a real world event, so one can only guess about the outcome).

Destructive elements:
the mass of material impacting on Ordulin (but not necessarily on the center of it), the resulting earthquakes, and the subsequent air blast...

Mitigating factors:
the angle of Sakkor's descent (could have made the enclave hit the city, then slide out of its borders), the hardness of the mountain itself (had it penetrated the ground or crumbled on contact?), magical unpredictable circumstances (Does the remaining energies of the divine events taking places in Ordulin somehow refueled the Mythallar? Or the Mythallar's left energies reopened the hole into reality that was in the center of Ordulin, plummeting the shade princes and the enclave into the void?)...

Thanks!

Edited by - Arioch on 06 Jan 2015 12:50:25
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  12:57:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone - possibly Shar herself - shielded the city somehow at the last possible moment. Or better yet, shot a "Bolt of of the Blue" at Sakkors when it was just about to impact. On-lookers would have assumed the city was hit, when in reality the enclave was blown into small chunks (which then rained-down a much lesser destruction upon the city).

Or Sakkors could have just self-destructed (using the same logic as above, looking as if Ordulin was hit by the city but in reality was hit by the massive debris field). You can decide anything you want as far as why Sakkors would have done so (bad guys always build a self-destruct mechanism into their stuff).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Jan 2015 18:26:23
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  16:14:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arioch

In the final part of "Godborn", Mr Kemp states:

"Past Mags, through the shadowed sky, Cale saw the mountain of Sakkors plummeting earthward. Ordulin would be pulverized."

So the fate of the city is sealed... but!

Since there are so many reasons to not consider the city simply gone (a short list follows)...
  • The bones of Furlinstastis the dragon.
  • The ruins of Volumvax's tower.
  • The resting place of two shade's princes (even if it will require a LOT of digging to locate it )
  • The twisted remains of the Eye of Shar
  • The stone on which Mask is reborn
  • Pages from the Leaves of one Night
  • The spot on the ground where Vasen writes his faith...
  • The city was the starting and ending point of the Cycle of Night!

I'm wondering if you can suggest me some ways to save at least some parts of the ruins!

It is not so easy to image the results of such an impact (A mountain's top falling onto a city is not a real world event, so one can only guess about the outcome).

Destructive elements:
the mass of material impacting on Ordulin (but not necessarily on the center of it), the resulting earthquakes, and the subsequent air blast...

Mitigating factors:
the angle of Sakkor's descent (could have made the enclave hit the city, then slide out of its borders), the hardness of the mountain itself (had it penetrated the ground or crumbled on contact?), magical unpredictable circumstances (Does the remaining energies of the divine events taking places in Ordulin somehow refueled the Mythallar? Or the Mythallar's left energies reopened the hole into reality that was in the center of Ordulin, plummeting the shade princes and the enclave into the void?)...

Thanks!

Is there something specific you're trying to save, or is this a general thing?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2015 :  08:16:32  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see it like a general approach to "save" the city and use it as an adventuring place...

[Edited]... and since Mith Drannor is going to suffer a similar fate, I would like to diversify the two cities.

P.S.:
quote:
bad guys always build a self-destruct mechanism into their stuff
LOL.

Edited by - Arioch on 07 Jan 2015 08:36:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page