Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Iron Assassin?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fish321
Acolyte

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  00:14:18  Show Profile Send fish321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I noticed when looking at the coming soon books on Barnes and Noble that Mr Ed Greenwood has a book called the Iron Assassin coming out. At first I thought perhaps Spellstorm had been renamed but it appears this is a completely different book. I was hoping someone here might be able to tell me if this is realms related or some different series of his.
While I'm asking questions could someone tell me about the variety of new listing of his available for download, each about 25 pages long and one 100 ish page long book or possibly comic book? I've been reading through realms books that I have never read before and if these are little short stories of his I'd like to go ahead and get them.
I'm including a link to the description page of Iron Assassin to verify for everyone what I'm saying though sadly the page is lacking in information. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-iron-assassin-ed-greenwood/1120327528?ean=9780765338464
I hope adding the link isn't against any rules and my sincerest apologies if it is.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  00:37:39  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well a little research found this as a part of a review.
quote:
Hot pulp fiction: A steampunk Frankenstein is a weapon of death in an alternate 19th century England
It would not appear to be FR.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  03:54:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
fish321, The Iron Assassin is a "gaslamp" fantasy; a steampunk novel of manners. Light, fast-paced, and fun . . . as so far as I know, a standalone book. Written before Spellstorm, finished and in.
So yes, it's not a Realms book, and it's not related to Spellstorm (also due out around the same time, I believe) in any way. Spellstorm is an Elminster book that stars a lot of familiar names to oldtime Realm fans, set after The Herald, largely in rural Cormyr.
Ed is now at work on his next Realms novel after that, which is set elsewhere and primarily stars other characters and a very different story, though what I know of Ed's existing contract suggests there will be some character overlap.
Which listings of shorter works are you referring to? Ed's non-Realms short stories are starting to appear singly or as part of various Platters of Surprises, available through theedverse.com . . . but I'm not sure which listings you've seen.
If you're referring to (p3 of the B & N Ed Greenwood listings) A Nice Silky Merlot, The Ostrond File, and Walking The King's Skull, these are some of Ed's non-Realms short stories; the first two are modern-day horror stories (again, standalones, not part of a series or related to each other), and King's Skull is a whimsical fantasy short story that I quite enjoyed.
Shadowsfall Legends: The Gem That Caught Fire is a fantasy short story Ed wrote to bring to life the character depicted on its cover, an adventurer in the Shadowsfall setting (he didn't create the setting or the character).
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 03 Dec 2014 04:02:24
Go to Top of Page

fish321
Acolyte

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  07:23:45  Show Profile Send fish321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are simply listed as dungeons and dragons then numbered 1 through 5 kindle editions. The larger one has elminster at the mage fair among other things though I can't recall the name presently
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000