Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Herald *spoilers*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chronthalas
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  02:19:32  Show Profile Send Chronthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One thing that really both surprised me and disappointed me was how the death of Dove Falconhand and her presence in Myth Drannor was handled in the book. She never got to met Storm, Elminster, Alustriel or Laeral while in Myth Drannor. Considering the strong bond between both the seven sisters and Elminster as fellow chosen of Mystra, none of them even felt her die. At least you would think that at the very end of the book, when Mystra visits the surving heroes in Storm's kitchen she would tell them the sad news, but no everyone is smiling and chuckling.
The whole ending felt extremly rushed. Does anyone know if Ed Greenwood has done any interviews or posted anything about what happened to several of the characters in the book?

Edited by - Chronthalas on 29 Nov 2014 03:14:16

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  12:58:51  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know THO has answered several queries about the book in the "Questions for Ed Greenwood" thread. I'm not sure if your specific issue was addressed, though. I don't remember it, but that doesn't mean anything other than I'm rolling a "1" on my Intelligence check.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Chronthalas
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  20:24:57  Show Profile Send Chronthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually sent Mr. Greenwood an email, though I doubt I'll get any reply. It's just such a major detail to omit, for me at least.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2014 :  01:49:41  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I think you will get a reply.
Though what happened to Dove has been discussed, here and elsewhere, and Ed has said something to the effect of more will be revealed in future novels.
As the creator of the Realms, Ed writes his books like an unfolding tapestry, not tidy "we only concentrate on one plot, and it all gets wrapped up in the same book" yarns, and always has (one of the reasons he's had so many battles with editors over four decades and counting). There's something going on with Dove that hasn't been explained yet.
What? Your guess is as good as mine, but Ed has hinted that the precise words she spoke should be "weighed carefully."
BB
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2014 :  03:07:30  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

O
As the creator of the Realms, Ed writes his books like an unfolding tapestry, not tidy "we only concentrate on one plot, and it all gets wrapped up in the same book" yarns, and always has (one of the reasons he's had so many battles with editors over four decades and counting).

Well, that certainly sounds better than saying that he has a sloppy writing style.

It's possible that in the future Ed will do more stuff with Dove (I'm certain that he has plenty of ways to bring her back if he really wants to). But concerning The Herald, the way Dove was handled was one of the major criticisms I have of the book.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  15:19:14  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, don't think anyone who has worked with Ed would ever describe him as having a sloppy writing style.
Most of us in publishing are more in awe of how quickly he can work and how many distinct voices he can write in, to order. That and being a generous, nice guy has got him many, many projects down the years. Sloppy writers might get away with one or two bad projects, but they would hardly be able to maintain 50-year careers and sell well upwards of 70 million copies worldwide, as Ed has. (No, I'm not exaggerating.)
Ed may be many things, but "sloppy" isn't one of them.
Go to Top of Page

Chronthalas
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  16:35:31  Show Profile Send Chronthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having characters whose fate are unknown in a novel is far from uncommon and it's really not my main issue with the tale. The complete lack of acknowledgement of Dove fighting and presumably dying in Myth Drannor while most of the other protagonists are present is much harder to swallow though.

For those of you that are involved in the publishing industry. When the release date is announced for a novel, is that date written in stone or can it be pushed back? The Herald is a fairly short book with only 19 chapters and as I wrote earlier to me it feels very rushed, akin to a computer game that is released too soon and needs multiple patches before it works properly. I'm just wondering if Greenwood worked under the pressure of a deadline that was to strict.

Edited by - Chronthalas on 01 Dec 2014 16:36:50
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  00:04:01  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed is a great guy but his writing style is not something everyone enjoys. I myself love his characters but think his use of them is sometimes somewhat predictable. Ed also likes to leave lots of plot hooks for gamers in his novels, that's great for RPG fans but can leave the novel only readers a little frustrated.

That being said, I thought that The Herald was an improvement on the previous couple of his books and aside from a few annoying things (like Dove dying meaninglessly), I thought it achieved its goal in righting some of the wrongs of 4e
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  01:46:49  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus
I thought it achieved its goal in righting some of the wrongs of 4e

What 'wrongs' in particular?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  14:10:37  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Release dates CAN be changed, but it is a hassle and can cost the publisher money. In the case of the books in the Sundering series, where there was a plan in place to bring one out every two months, the publisher would have been that much more averse to not staying on schedule.

Which is not to say that I am seconding Chronthalas's opinion that The Herald reads like the writing was rushed. I'm not. But, C., that's the answer to the question about publishing that you posed.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  23:33:33  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus
I thought it achieved its goal in righting some of the wrongs of 4e

What 'wrongs' in particular?

Returning Mystra to full power for one.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  23:48:18  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be curious to know IF Mystra can return to full power. A whole lot of magic blew up with the Spellplague. If magic is the foundation of her power, the Spellplague took a sledgehammer to the foundation of her house, maybe even a wrecking ball. I wouldn't be surprised if she is only an intermediate power at present.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  00:46:46  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

I'd be curious to know IF Mystra can return to full power. A whole lot of magic blew up with the Spellplague. If magic is the foundation of her power, the Spellplague took a sledgehammer to the foundation of her house, maybe even a wrecking ball. I wouldn't be surprised if she is only an intermediate power at present.

I wouldn't think so. The weave is back and just being THE goddess of magic pretty much assures a greater god status. Mystra also saw off Shar at the end of the Herald, I doubt she would have been able to if she were a lesser power.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  19:18:45  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't call Mystra getting depowered a "wrong".

I wouldn't call it a "right" either.

It was just another plot element.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  22:40:52  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

I wouldn't call Mystra getting depowered a "wrong".

I wouldn't call it a "right" either.

It was just another plot element.

Maybe but the restoring of the majority realms to pre 4e would suggest that many fans saw 4e as wrong. I'm not turning this into a 4e bashing either, onwards and upwards
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000