Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sweat
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lyiat
Seeker

91 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2014 :  19:59:19  Show Profile Send Lyiat a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So... might be an odd question, but my experience in Biology tells me that quite a few animals do not sweat. So, do therianthropes and other werekin sweat, when their alternative form doesn't? Specifically, I'm curious about shifters. Something I'm working on involves a shifter as a prominent character.

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you." ~ Minsc

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2014 :  20:33:55  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The upright running creatures we are on earth gave humans the adaptation to effectively run for long distances in hot climates. The ability to breathe through our mouths while running (allowing more air in the longs and cooling to take place) combined with the ability to sweat gave early plains humans the advantage over competing predators and allowed for larger prey to be taken down.

As I imagine the gait of werecreatures to be really bestial, I would say they dont sweat in their hybrid forms. So an agitated shifter might stop sweating, if able at all.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  14:41:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a human (RW) friend who doesn't sweat - he has was born without sweat glands (his whole family has this mutation). He has to apply oil to his skin, which looks a bit scaly.

Although I've never thought about this before, I think it would be an EXCELLENT (realistic) addition to lycanthropy lore if were-creatures did not sweat in their human form, which could be construed as a weakness (a 'tell').

I think it would be rather brilliant for an author to incorporate that in a story.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  19:11:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Except for a few odd cases, most lycanthropes are human/demihuman, and assume animal form. Since humans/demihumans sweat, I'd say that lycanthropes do, too. Not in their animal form, but certainly in human form, and most likely in hybrid/Crinos form, as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  20:00:32  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, there have been natural lycanthropes in editions, however there are those that get bit or otherwise infected and become lycanthropes because the disease is not always cured. Thus it might follow that they can be no universal rule for them.

I would also add doppelgänger and dragons also shift shape and they clearly might handle sweat differently.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2014 :  02:38:34  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simply speaking, dogs - and I suppose wolves, too - don't sweat because of the structure of their skin, furry and stuff. So, if the humanoid form is furry, I think it would not sweat, and transpiration would be through the tongue. Of course, this is fantasy and you can rule it all out. BTW, I'm a biologist, too! ;)

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2014 :  04:43:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Simply speaking, dogs - and I suppose wolves, too - don't sweat because of the structure of their skin, furry and stuff. So, if the humanoid form is furry, I think it would not sweat, and transpiration would be through the tongue. Of course, this is fantasy and you can rule it all out. BTW, I'm a biologist, too! ;)

My thinking is that with the hybrid form, it's animal features overlaid on the basic human/demihuman body. The hybrid form retains the size, upright form, opposable thumbs, and all that -- so my thinking is the sweat glands are still there, too.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11692 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2014 :  16:11:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking whichever way you spin this, you can use it in your campaign. For instance, if its true, the players may use it to solve a mystery. If its NOT true, lyncanthropes may spread it around as false rumor in order to protect themselves.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  12:48:04  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
My thinking is that with the hybrid form, it's animal features overlaid on the basic human/demihuman body. The hybrid form retains the size, upright form, opposable thumbs, and all that -- so my thinking is the sweat glands are still there, too.

Ok, but would if the skin is furry, would them function under that fur? I think the form would be functional, no? Or do you think the skin would be less hairy?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  16:56:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ok, but would if the skin is furry, would them function under that fur? I think the form would be functional, no? Or do you think the skin would be less hairy?

I would assume they still function.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  20:34:14  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See, this is why I love Candlekeep.com. It all comes down to a wererat's clogged pores & smelly armpits. WHERE ELSE are you gonna find peeps contemplating the details of a fantasy world on THAT LEVEL?

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Lyiat
Seeker

91 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  02:04:15  Show Profile Send Lyiat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I have a human (RW) friend who doesn't sweat - he has was born without sweat glands (his whole family has this mutation). He has to apply oil to his skin, which looks a bit scaly.

Although I've never thought about this before, I think it would be an EXCELLENT (realistic) addition to lycanthropy lore if were-creatures did not sweat in their human form, which could be construed as a weakness (a 'tell').

I think it would be rather brilliant for an author to incorporate that in a story.

I actually rather like this interpretation. Part of the curse removes their ability to sweat, which functions as an added tell. I may run with that.

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you." ~ Minsc
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000