Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Dwarf Campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Evrat
Acolyte

France
45 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2014 :  18:43:53  Show Profile Send Evrat a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi everyone,

it's the first time that I publish something here and moreover in English. I am french, so be clement

I have a new campaign idea starting in the Silver Marches around “1369-1374”, more specifically in the Sundabar Citadell.

I have in mind something audacious with different topics criss crossing.

The dwarf Campaign (from low to epic level)

The main topic will be a kabbale of few influential dwarfs disappointing of the human dominance on the Citadell, and still dreaming of the Delzoun empire return. They shortly start to spin a spies network based on forgemasters and merchants. They are a very number and they have to keep low profile to achieve their goal. Their aim will be the death of Helm Dwarf Friend, the control of the city and an alliance between Sundabar, Adbar Felbbar and may be later Mitralhall and free Mirabar from human influence as well.

Most of their members are not fully evil but determined in their conviction, and they will not be stranger of Kaanyr Vhok attack in 1373 to discredit Helm and human power.

In the other part they will find a special assistance from the Iron House of Tethyamar looking for allies to take back their farmer kingdown lost in the Year of the Dark Dawn (1104). Now the royal family is ruled by the twin brothers Tasster and Teszter, who see a divine sign in the Felbarr Citadell freedom which has been taken by orc forces the same year than Tethyamar.

But... the Iron House leader has been corrupted by member of the Knight of Shield (and Gargauth followers) who see in this dwarf king and the disgruntled members of Sundabar an opportunity to grow in influence in the North. They are the real evil face behind this plot.

The first PC adventures will take place to counter the dwarf rebellion and may be save Hem Dwarf Friend life.

In the same time I will play the adventure “Wyrmskull Throne” and give information in the “Gold and Gloom War” far in the south and may be later send the PC to Shanatar if they keep high their link with dwarven cities.

Next plots will follow in the same timeline :

Keep the Orcs and Giants pressure on the Silver Marches up to the creation of the Many Arrows Kingdown and the Treaty of Garuumn's Gorge.

- Through 1371 and 1373 murders will take place all around the Silver Marches and Faerun who touch commons, nobles and adventures. All those deaths touch people who share Alustriel blood. The evil mind behind those slain is Sammaster who take vengeance on his farmer traitor lover.
The purpose of this adventure is to guide the PC to the next plot which will be the “Dracorage”, later in 1373.

- During Kaanyr Vhok assault the PC may find a timely ally on the Duergar dwarf of Gracklstugh and have significant information on Drik Hargunen (Duegar city) where lay (for me) capital details on the location of Gauntlgrym (for later, later...) and Shanatar history

- The Dracorage : To finalize his aim and the Dracorage Mythal, Sammaster will need two powerful artifacts of Loviatar and Illemater. The first one is located in the Abbey of the lady in the Nethere Montain and the second one, the Tome of Torment, in the Golden Cup Monastery. Those two artifacts are mandatory to turn crazy the Great Wyrms in all Faerun from Novularond.

- I know Gargauth and the Dragon cult have common history through Pelevaran, may be Gargauth has something to do with the DracoRage and I will can link my "Shield Knight" and the Dracorage.

I know all in not canon, but I would like to have your advises how to structure these subjects through my campaign

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  04:29:45  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
dwarfs disappointing of the human dominance on the Citadell, and still dreaming of the Delzoun empire return.

What do you want? Dwarves protecting "dwarven interests" as they see it, occasionally via non-dwarven methods like assassination of perceived rivals, etc?
There already is a secret society for that: The Holy Hammer.
And since the dwarves tend to think quite conservatively, "already is" means that dwarves who think they need to do something will ask first: "why not to stick with the existing framework?".

quote:
Keep the Orcs and Giants pressure on the Silver Marches up to the creation of the Many Arrows Kingdown and the Treaty of Garuumn's Gorge.

I see two problems here, though:
1) Dwarves are not prancing pansies elves.
So even The Holy Hammer's activities do not consists of whining ranting over abstract matters at their peers and childish hissy fits random lolmurder like Eldreth Veluuthra or Dhaeraowathila, but is focused on specific problems.
2) Again, dwarves are not elves.
For them, holding back for the reasons such as "how much we actually need to do something for allies, they look pretty strong to handle it" is one thing, but outright oath-breaking is entirely another, and it's simply not sane to bicker when an enemy is within a spitting distance from the gate.
quote:
In the other part they will find a special assistance from the Iron House of Tethyamar looking for allies to take back their farmer kingdown lost in the Year of the Dark Dawn (1104). Now the royal family is ruled by the twin brothers Tasster and Teszter, who see a divine sign in the Felbarr Citadell freedom which has been taken by orc forces the same year than Tethyamar.

But... the Iron House leader has been corrupted by member of the Knight of Shield (and Gargauth followers) who see in this dwarf king and the disgruntled members of Sundabar an opportunity to grow in influence in the North. They are the real evil face behind this plot.

It follows from (1) that dwarves who are serious about this will not be completely oblivious to outside connections (if ot their hidden meaning). A dwarf either shares this approach or not, and if X does, why he seems to deal with some specific shifty human merchant above and beyond normal business?

Also, where's Tethyamar and where are those Marshes? Literally on the other side of Anauroch. Dwarves of the Iron House including their king-in-exile settled with folk of Far Hills, but Marches are almost 3x farther as a dragon flies and at least 5x along the roads.

quote:
- The Dracorage : To finalize his aim and the Dracorage Mythal,
[...]
- I know Gargauth and the Dragon cult have common history through Pelevaran, may be Gargauth has something to do with the DracoRage and I will can link my "Shield Knight" and the Dracorage.

... You didn't read the series as such, right?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Evrat
Acolyte

France
45 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  09:37:42  Show Profile Send Evrat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I said, all is not "Canon" :)

I didn't have the time to read all the novels, but I do my best to make up the lost time
Go to Top of Page

Evrat
Acolyte

France
45 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  10:16:14  Show Profile Send Evrat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"It follows from (1) that dwarves who are serious about this will not be completely oblivious to outside connections (if ot their hidden meaning). A dwarf either shares this approach or not, and if X does, why he seems to deal with some specific shifty human merchant above and beyond normal business?

Also, where's Tethyamar and where are those Marshes? Literally on the other side of Anauroch. Dwarves of the Iron House including their king-in-exile settled with folk of Far Hills, but Marches are almost 3x farther as a dragon flies and at least 5x along the roads."

My idea is after the fall of Tethyamar, the royal family had to flee to Cormyr and other dwarven settlements. After few decades and without their kingdown the King had be short in resources and gold, so he had to seek support who will find on Nobles/Merchants with far connections with Shield Knight from Thetyr. The royal family is not directly against human, they sent a special delegation to silvermarches and more specifically to Sundabar (which is rich) and Felbarr and Mithral Hall which has been free few years ago to launch a new army on Thetyamar mines.

Behind the scene, The Shield Knights are manipulating some influence dwarfs in Thetyamar king entourage, and the other hand the king twin brother is missing since few month (maybe 1 year), vanish somewhere during a raid in the mountains, but he has been captured by orcs or shield knight allies to gain a knew pressure on the King. Nobody knows.

May be the king delegation will come in dwarven citadels with some poisoned chalice, like cursed objects, from Gargauth church to pervert and corrupt dwarven leaders in silvermarches.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  15:06:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As TBeholder points out, the behavior of your dwarves sounds more like elves - sneaky, long-term, xeno-phobic, etc...

Dwarves handle things a bit differently. Perhaps even a bit more 'intelligently' (maybe). They are stoic, and resigned, and are usually extremely loyal (which means if they sign a treaty, they will stick to it... unless they need to find a reason to get out of it, in which case any old excuse will do for them). When they decide they are right about something, they don't do things surreptitiously - they let everyone know they are right, and thats all there is to it (even when dealing with other groups of dwarves, who feel the same exact way, even if they disagree, which is how dwarven civil wars happen).

This often leads to what others perceive as stupidity - abandoning perfectly good fortresses with hundreds of dwarves... only to come back a few centuries later with a handful of dwarves to re-take it (a uniquely dwarven 'thing'). But dwarves swear by the motto - "he who fights and runs away will live to fight another day." There is no point in a race with very poor reproductive rates to fight battles they may not win, and sometimes its just easier to come back later, with a smaller force that can accomplish more with less casualties. Especially when you consider that humans (who breed like rats) can do much of your work for you. So Dwarves move out of an area - sometimes giving humans their home before leaving - and allow the humans to take care of business for them. Then they can just come back and reclaim it later, with little or no work.

So dwarves are smart, because although they are industrious, they are not wasteful, and if they can get other to expend their resources instead, so much the better. Thus, I can see how you would figure the dwarves are trying to manipulate all the different factions in the north, and that makes sense, but they usually wouldn't do it in such a fashion that the other 'goodly' races would turn on them if discovered. With humans currently (as of the end of 3e) 'getting along with' orcs in the north, and those two being the most prolific and warlike races, I truly doubt dwarves would murder humans in such a way that would make the humans decide to side with orcs against dwarves (which would QUICKLY lead to a dwarven genocide in The North).

But its your campiagn, so you can spin things however you want; I just wouldn't have that group of dwarves having the approval of most dwarves. In fact, considering the danger they are putting the entire race in, I would think if other dwarves even suspected this was going on they'd hire some adventurers themselves to investigate, and try to keep the whole thing quiet.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Nov 2014 15:08:39
Go to Top of Page

Evrat
Acolyte

France
45 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  11:25:26  Show Profile Send Evrat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you What appened to Triandal and Mraskin (Tyr and Helm priest) from Sundabar ? they disappear in adventures....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000