Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Pseudodragon age categories/life cycle?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2014 :  11:34:38  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do all dragon types use the age rules in Draconomicon, or just True Dragons? If the pseudo doesn't use those rules, what are it's age categories? The only other thing I can find is the 2nd edition "Ecology of" article. Since the pseudo has been horrendously nerfed since then I hesitate to use anything out of that article (which also calls them cold-blooded--another thing that changed in 3.X).

Thanks in Advance!

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2014 :  12:18:54  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Pseudodragons have a lifespan of 10-15 years." is I believe from 2nd Edition.

They are not true dragons, they are dragonkin.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2014 :  15:53:48  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ionik Knight

Do all dragon types use the age rules in Draconomicon, or just True Dragons? If the pseudo doesn't use those rules, what are it's age categories? The only other thing I can find is the 2nd edition "Ecology of" article. Since the pseudo has been horrendously nerfed since then I hesitate to use anything out of that article (which also calls them cold-blooded--another thing that changed in 3.X).

Thanks in Advance!

Faerie dragons, on the other hand, had multiple age categories, in at least one edition.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2014 :  23:24:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know Eric... I'd love to see some variations on faerie dragons in the realms. In fact, I'd really like to see a breed of "fey" dragon that's actually of comparable size to the smaller true dragons, but definitely more magical. Granted, Song Dragons could conceivably fill this role, but I'd rather one not known for changing into mortal form.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2014 :  08:46:34  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

You know Eric... I'd love to see some variations on faerie dragons in the realms. In fact, I'd really like to see a breed of "fey" dragon that's actually of comparable size to the smaller true dragons, but definitely more magical. Granted, Song Dragons could conceivably fill this role, but I'd rather one not known for changing into mortal form.

Might be worth checking out the Amber Dragon, Moonstone Dragon, and Prismatic Dragon from 2nd Edition if you're not aware of them. They're very unusual dragons that might fit what you're looking for. They can be found in Monstrous Compendium Annual 3 & 4.

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2014 :  16:40:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The prismatic dragon is kind of interesting, but not a lot, but thank you for pointing me towards the other two.

The amber dragon is very interesting to me with its breath weapon basically being warm sap/resin and its skin being like bark. I'm not sure why it has some ability to magnetize things, especially in a woodland environment, and I'd probably redo that one ability to replace it with say wood shaping/vine controlling abilities or somesuch. I'd definitely like seeing them fleshed out more with some plant controlling powers that increase as they age, as well as a druid's ability to shape change into animals (for spying purposes, not combat). I'd definitely like to see some of these in Rashemen and the High Forest and over in the Moonshaes.

Moonstone dragon ALSO very awesome. Basically, a magic dispersing breath weapon with a sleep effect. Their being hurt by daylight and ties to the Moon could be interesting as well. Having one of these living in a cave within the high forest would be something of interest. If it were also aiding some dark elven followers of Eilistraee and travelling out with them to "dance beneath the moonlight" it could be a good idea. Its ability to manipulate dreams could alos prove useful, and the rumors that its tears are made of mithral just open up special adventure opportunities.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  07:12:53  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The amber dragon is very interesting to me with its breath weapon basically being warm sap/resin and its skin being like bark. I'm not sure why it has some ability to magnetize things, especially in a woodland environment, and I'd probably redo that one ability to replace it with say wood shaping/vine controlling abilities or somesuch. I'd definitely like seeing them fleshed out more with some plant controlling powers that increase as they age, as well as a druid's ability to shape change into animals (for spying purposes, not combat). I'd definitely like to see some of these in Rashemen and the High Forest and over in the Moonshaes.

The amber dragon is mentioned in a couple deity entries in Demihuman Deities and I think Powers & Pantheons, as servitor creatures for some of the nature deities, FYI. I think the magnetism power was designed along the lines of choosing something antithetical to nature and druidism, in D&D terms at least. After all, most creatures that threaten nature tend to use metal tools and weapons.

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  12:29:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AuldDragon

quote:

The amber dragon is mentioned in a couple deity entries in Demihuman Deities and I think Powers & Pantheons, as servitor creatures for some of the nature deities, FYI. I think the magnetism power was designed along the lines of choosing something antithetical to nature and druidism, in D&D terms at least. After all, most creatures that threaten nature tend to use metal tools and weapons.

Jeff

ah, so they are, Rillifane Rallithil, Baervan Wildwanderer, and Sheela Peryroyl are all served by them. Even better then that they are embedded in the lore. I guess I could see controlling magnetism as a later learned ability for them as they age, but with their younger abilities being more "woodsy".

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  16:44:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amber and materials like wool or rabbit's fur are known to create static electricity, when put together... And there are connections betwixt electrical and magnetic fields. Perhaps that's why that power was selected...

Of course, it's also possible that the creator(s) found some bit of little-known real world lore of an amber-colored dragon with something like that, and that was the inspiration...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000