Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 All Things Moonshae
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2019 :  21:10:42  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I can certainly get behind that as an idea.

I think i still need a black market economy of sorts for evil creatures elsewise an army of evil firbolg would not survive.

Maybe the hallucinations that Thorin experiences in the Hobbit are a fairly decent approximation of what happens to people who accumulate too much gold. I reckon i could create a new monster that lives in the astral or ethereal that is attracted to gold and possesses those nearby (to get them to acquire more gold).

An "Astral Possessing Spirit" sounds cool! It feeds off the accumulated essence of metals maybe...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2019 :  02:11:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

To have all vaguely intelligent creatures suffer from an attraction to a shiny but otherwise useless material seems a bit too far.

That's because it's not "all vaguely intelligent creatures" and it's not the gold itself that attracts them. It's the wealth -- which happens to be represented by gold, because gold is a beautiful, mostly useless, yet still rare commodity.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2019 :  14:14:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am as far as the sisters of synnoria. I'm unsure as to what Avalon the horse is, is it one of the children of the earthmothers or not. I know I've used that it is sired by kamerynn in the past, but I can't recall if that comes from canon.

Also the pack appears to actually be a group of normal wolves gathered around a single wolf who is descended from one of the earthmothers children so I'll have to come up with a name and purpose for this creature.

And back to the Big Cave. Why would coal pollute the Moonwell. Coal is a natural substance, it is formed from pressure acting on fossilized remains (I think) I can't imagine why it would be considered unnatural apart from our modern bias towards industrialisation. I'm thinking perhaps to make it something other than coal, perhaps the ancient remains of a powerful creature - mayhaps something to do with death or magic drain.

I'm guessing from page 95 onwards it is all about the Big battle. I've got about 20 names of people from Cordell and surrounding lands, a few Cantrev and their economy but not much else.

Also trahern bothers me, why did he turn evil. He seemed nice for half a page until kazgoroth "got him" and then he's a pawn. The bloodriders seem consumed with bloodlust so that explains their change of loyalties, but trahern seems to still possess all his mental faculties.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2019 :  15:02:33  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coal is a double-edged sword.

On the one hand it can actually filter water in the ground.

On the other if it is exposed to the surface and leaches into drinking water it can be poisonous.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2019 :  15:12:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I think I shall make it coal but also not coal. Bodies of potent magical creatures transformed by magic and pressure would make something similar to coal but which also possess a lingering magical quality which in this case is corruption.

I've changed the Moonwells to be the opposite of their stated purpose while also keeping their same properties as listed. They provide magic to the druids bit actually drain that power from the Moonshaes Isles (which are the Earthmother- she's not a god). So kazgoroth actually wants to destroy the Moonwells to save the Earthmother (actually he mostly wants to free himself as the Moonwells form a magical web of leylines that keep him trapped).

The Moonwells are linked to the leshay and the magic and life energy of lady ordalfs keeps them active, so kazgoroth corrupts them with death to break the link and make them normal Moonwells (not magical) once more.

So dumping coal in a Moonwell won't break that link but the ancient dead bodies of powerful creatures will.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2019 :  11:52:10  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nearly finished darkwalker (thankfully). The depiction of the bloodriders is what I'm going to use for kazgoroths minions way back in the past - creatures fuelled by hate and bloodlust that are consumed by their own rage (and lack of eating or sleeping) until they crumble into dust.

This conferred bloodlust was done in the past using the mere touch of kazgoroth (which imparted his own hatred into the touched creature). Now the Moonwells prevent that touch ability from working but I think I shall have kazgoroth change so that he forces beings to invest his own blood to turn them into more powerful versions that are consumed from within quicker, but which can regenerate by slaying foes. This process is more time consuming and draining so kazgoroth does not use it as frequently as he used his touch in the past.

As an afterthought I can have a few evil creatures remain as a dust version of these hate fuelled monsters that inhabit old battlefields and infect the unwary (maybe that is why llyrath forest has such dangerous creatures in it).

Also came across a northman term for the bloodriders, grunnarch said they were more skeletal and fearsome looking than a deathshead, so I shall use that as a northman name for the drathak (another more recent minion of kazgoroth) which I had pegged as undead but I think I shall refine that to animated dead (and not animated by negative energy but instead by kazgoroths own power).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2019 :  15:53:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also noted Robyn is daughter of erianna moonsinger and there is of course the old genna moonsinger. Both the moonsinger are old great druids.

I'm guessing that perhaps a minor character mistake was made and genna should be erianna or vice versa. Instead we have two members of the same family who were both great druids and the daughter of one becomes the next great druid.
This implies some genetic predisposition to being an awesome druid. Also genna I'm guessing would be robyns aunt.

So what makes someone a natural druid and candidate for a great druid of a powerful druidic circle. Robyn seemed to use a number of druidic talents without even being aware of it (thus making them inherent abilities). She could speak with animals, heat metal, control plants.

Inherent abilities implies a magical/genetic inherited transference so that would mean robyns ancestors are descended from someone with similar abilities and an affinity with nature. A leshay or other fey creature would have such abilities and so perhaps I can tie a half Leshay into robyns ancestry somewhere.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2019 :  20:14:31  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also Aileen seemed curiously important to Laric, possessed of some unknown reserve of strength that he wanted to consume. I'm thinking that Aileen should be related to some well known NPC of the realms, maybe a lost daughter of the queen of Evermeet.

Also the Sword of Cymrych Hugh appears to be vaguely intelligent, it compels Tristan to attack Kazgoroth and directs his blows somewhat. So whoever created the sword imbued some intelligence into the blade (although i much prefer they imbue some part of themselves into an intelligent magic item).

And the Staff of the White Well can call upon a huge lightning storm so its quite powerful. I've never encountered a White Well before in Moonshae Lore, i could tie it to the big well in synnoria but that seems a bit too easy/obvious.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2019 :  20:22:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And why does Kazgoroth want to destroy Caer Corwell. Is there something beneath it perhaps or something inside it that Kazgoroth wants.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2019 :  13:36:14  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few random musings to write down before I forget them.

I might make the white well and the darkwell be the same place. The white well was the name of the Moonwell before it was polluted, the darkwell is it's name after Kazgoroth was defeated the first time (I figure in a last ditch attempt to stop the leshay enchanted the Moonwells he hurled himself into it as it was being enchanted, thus corrupting the Moonwell enchantments).

So the staff of the white well is made from some tree that grew out of the Moonwell, perhaps a treant like creature that was going to be the guardian.

Onto Genna Moonsinger and the other Moonsingers. I think I will have them be of leshay descent. My main protagonist collects bloodlines and mixes them trying to create strong individuals to further her own purpose (conflict in the Moonshaes that will lead to the death of high lady ordalf). So this hag used her own bloodline to create the moonsinger family who are all potent druids.

Still not sure about the sword of cymrych hugh. It just being forged to defeat kazgoroth is not interesting enough for such a powerful and important weapon. I feel it should be linked to his actions elsewhere in the Moonshaes but other than the white well I'm not sure what it could be.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2019 :  21:38:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had a few thoughts about Synnoria and the Sword of Cymrych Hugh.

So Synnoria is ruled by a matriarch at the moment (according to a novel), but in the past it was ruled by a King Kaminas.

Apparently King Kaminas had a daughter who tried it on with King Deric of the ffolk of Corwell (although i'm twisting that story).

So what happened to the royal family of Synnoria?

Add into the mix is the dwarves in Darkwalker clearly hate the elves and the feeling seems mutual. I get that this is probably just to mirror tolkienesque rivalry but in FR we now need a reason to explain it.

So i came up with a bit of a story. The sword of cymrych hugh was crafted by the dwarves as a gift for the queen of Synnoria when she married Kaminas.
At a later date the queen was riding through the Myrloch Vale when she was attacked by Kazgoroth. Horribly injured by the Beast all attempts to heal/revive her failed. The elves blamed this upon the gem used in the pommel of the sword which appears to have drawn her soul into the sword (accounting for the intelligence of the blade and its purpose to slay Kazogoroth), and so the elves hate the dwarves for causing the death of their queen and the dwarves hate the elves because they were blamed unjustly and because the elves were ungrateful about the kingly gift they were given.

Anyway Cymrych Hugh ends up in Synnoria and the sword chooses him as its owner. Kazgoroth is slain and everything works out in the end, except that Kaminas declines of grief and moves onto Evermeet and his daughter runs away from her forced marriage and is lost, thus ending the royal line of Synnoria.

I've also made Anhaern Rhyllgallohyr the twin sister of the queen and she possesses a sister blade to the Sword of Cymrych Hugh (although it is not enchanted or intelligent). Also decided that the Sisters of Synnoria would be established during/after the war with kazgoroth and so Anhaern is the first captain of the sisters and fought with Cymrych Hugh against Kazgoroth.

Gives a bit more backstory to existing NPCs and magic items and is my attempt at explaining a few things in the novels.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2019 :  09:36:36  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Randomly musing again, this time about king durnhal and queen Morgan being pursued by Prince ketheryll.

I decided a while ago that it would be a sovereignty dispute between the high kingdom of the Moonshaes and the kingdom of corwell.

I've rewritten history a bit since I figured kings aren't just declared by default, events actually happen to unite an entire people and that someone declares themself king. This happened for the island of Gwynneth and Alaron at the same time when cymrych hugh became high king.

So how then does a kingdom of corwell evolve independently of the high kingdom. I figure that power would be devolved first with the rykers being declared regents and they rule Gwynneth in cymrych hugh name so that he doesn't have to micromanage both callidyrr and Gwynneth.

Then at some point the people of Gwynneth would want their own king for prestige and because other islands have one (moray). When the high king fights back against the northmen the clans agree but only if they can appoint a king of their own (who is still a vassal of the high king).

This we now have a king of the ffolk on Gwynneth. This causes problems when high king gwylloch moves the capital of the high kingdom to llyrath on Gwynneth as he builds the castle of skulls. Issues over sovereignty eventually result in king durnhal and queen Morgan being accused of treason and the crown Prince hunting down the entire Ryker clan.

I've got a little event where king durnhal and queen Morgan take refuge on corlyths hill and crown Prince ketheryll is unable to hurt them (thanks to the magic of the guardian - caoimhin which the ffolk corrupted to corlyth). This provides an origin to the wayfire tradition and is also the start of the settlement of corwell (until this point the ffolk of Gwynneth had been steadily moving west from Cantrev kingsbay so Cantrev corwell wasn't founded yet.

A few years after the disappearance of g
The castle of skulls, the ffolk of Gwynneth declare a new king (and dynasty) and he founds the kingdom of corwell with a new capital at Cantrev corwell (Well away from Alaron). The new king immediately swears fealty to the high king.

So I'm thinking of a new organisation, something like Morgan's Wall, which has a number of clans of central corwell (away from Cantrev kingsbay) that is staunchly opposed to the refounding of the high kingdom and also hates any alliance with the northmen (blaming the failure of the high kingdom for the ffolk ceding all claim on the northmen isles)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2019 :  23:17:47  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found an obscure reference: "A fourth may lie in the depths of the Korinn Archipelago, and a fifth is said to be in the northwestern reaches of Anauroch." See Lost Empires of Faerun, page 108.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2019 :  20:11:25  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep those obscure references coming, always useful. However, i think that one was already identified earlier in the thread.

I was never quite sure what to do with the enclave in the korinn archipelago. Given the location of an island in the korinn archipelago that holds a devil tied to the island (4e i think), i decided that perhaps the devil and the enclave were linked because both were so unusual and out of place (and that the netherese had some experience with extra planar contact and exploration.

Decided not to elaborate on the enclave itself, or what it was doing all the way out here, or even what it was called, but of anyone has any ideas or suggestions then i'm open.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2019 :  12:54:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I've decided on kadish being on Gwynneth at last. Magic travel is expensive (regardless of race) so conventional means of transportation must be used between faerun and evermeet and vice versa with the Moonshaes in between.

957 DR is the time someone went missing travelling to kadish from evermeet so the port could have persisted some time after that (for it to disappear following wizards destroying the elders of winterglen and at last all the remaining elves moved to synnoria and evermeet.

Synnoria has no coastline available to evermeet and by 957 DR all other elven settlements on other islands had long since vanished (as humans moved in). Gwynneth is by that time the only island with large regions not inhabited by humans so it makes it the logical choice.

Thus Kadish is now a port settlement in the forest of winterglen. When wizards slew the elders of winterglen the wood elves of that forest gradually moved on and the settlement of kadish faded into nothing.

Why has it not been mentioned before though. Winterglen is not very well explored (being a wild and dangerous forest). The sea of Moonshaes I imagine to be filled with mist for much of the morning and evening and much of the year (adds to the Celtic feel having a lot of mist). The port could be upriver and so not directly on the coast, so it is hidden by the forest.

Just my thoughts for today.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2019 :  21:30:26  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Decided to link a few of the floating island rumours of the Moonshae Isles to the Leviathan of the Elder Evils book.

So the Elder Evils depicts a very large tower atop a sunken island somewhere between Waterdeep and the Korinn Archipelago. This island/tower is actually a single spine upon the back of the Leviathan (which is a sea serpent 100 miles long).

At the moment only the tip of the spine is visible and has been hollowed out to form a temple.

The Elder Evils however talks about Leviathan moving in its sleep so i figure why couldnt the island move. I discovered a legend of the Lost Treasure Island of Nine Wizards - a rumour perhaps created by Arveiaturace so she can prey upon treasure seeker - but it supposedly appears and disappears at random.
Then there is the island of Viledal which was lost for a long time. Why couldnt it be lost because it sunk beneath the waves. At the end of the Treasure Hunt adventure the island vanishes again.

So a single island with a thousand ft tower keeps appearing and disappearing around the Korinn Archipelago and has been used for various purposes over the ages. Makes a good treasure location (hiding the treasures of Viledal and others who made it their home), but also a way to begin an end of the world scenario as suggested in Elder Evils.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2019 :  08:59:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Noticed I put my founding of vlan far too late. The quote from taragarth the blood brand says aeroth was greybearded when he left silverymoon in 933 DR and headed to waterdeep and then the Moonshaes.
I figure that makes aeroth approaching 50 when he leaves which is nearly end of life for a human.

So revised timeline is aeroth arrives in callidyrr in 935 DR as a courtier. He doesn't found vlan until 947 DR using surviving soldiers from High King Tanners I'll fated army that fought the firbolg in Gwynneth.
I figure these soldiers are made scapegoats for the downfall of the high kingdom and are essentially homeless. In 947 DR the king of gnarhelm dies so aeroth takes advantage of the succession crisis and invades the western half of gnarhelm.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2019 :  21:01:29  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Castle Darkhorn.

I originally thought about tying darkhorn to the conflict between llewyrr and ffolk at the dawn of ffolk settlement of the Moonshae.

However, rereading the Halls of the High King i'm not so sure. The castle is a ruin, but a stone ruin and after a thousand years some of it still remains usable for cultists to exploit as a base.

After a thousand years there are no norman ruins in England usable for anything more than sitting on a very small pile of rocks.

Also it seems to me that stone castles and technology arrived with the tethyrians in 467 DR. Prior to that the ffolk were tribal and clannish and big stone castles doesnt seem in keeping with that theme.

Also in the cellars and tomb of darkhorn castle are a number of unusual things. The first is a Blast Sceptre which is a netherese invention, and the creature buried with it has full knowledge of how to use it. Second is an item called a torc of power which seems to react badly to extraplanar creatures.

So i'm wondering if perhaps Darkhorn castle and his shortlived kingdom did not arise much later and was perhaps not ruled by a ffolk king at all (but a netherese descendent).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2019 :  09:11:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Worked on my crown of the high king, also known as crown of the isles.

Made by sea elves of nindrol and gifted to cymrych hugh on his coronation.

Lost with high king Dolan in a storm in 852 DR, secretly stolen by sahuagin.

Sahuagin Prince leading a raid was slain by Angus macodrum who took the crown from the sea devils body. Reprisal raids by sahuagin continued for many decades against callidyrr.
Angus and the macodrums flee. Angus heads to toaridge and encounters elves of nindrol, is invited to stay.
Angus overstate welcome by siring 12 children on various women, including a princess.
Angus exiled and crown is cursed so only the blood of cymrych hugh can wear it.
Angus heads to Moray and sells the crown to a calishite merchant then uses money to buy most of the land around Cantrev horstall in Gwynneth.

Calishite galleon is captured by pirates operating out of ruathym. The raiders try on the crown and are cursed beconomy a ghost ship.

That ties together bits from the realms bestiary about Angus macodrum and a ghost ship plothook.

The crown allows the wearer to survive underwater indefinitely and speak sea elven language

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2019 :  22:10:24  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added in some more dates for synnoria and defined more how it progressed from a monarchy to a theocracy.

Basically kaminas was king and his daughter herene was in love with deric. They were forbidden from marrying and synnoria was sealed with magic to keep them apart.
Deric dies and centuries later herene is forced to marry Ridinlahr who then becomes a Lord and consort of herene (like Prince Albert is consort of queen elizabeth).
Herene dies of a broken heart, childless. Kaminas goes to evermeet and Ridinlahr is left as Lord of synnoria.
He falls in love with belshareen and makes the harp for her. She dies and he then leaves for evermeet as well (I like the irony of repeating fates).

This synnoria is left without an heir and so the high priest of the temple becomes ruler.

I used Eric's advice for utilising existing characters. Ridinlahr was a Lord of the llewyrr, so the question was how did he get to be one. Then synnoria becomes a theocracy of sorts and so how did the royal line die out. We know kaminas had a daughter and the druidhome novels say that herene died childless so I made Ridinlahr a consort and thus rule could pass to him on herenes death and his fate is already sealed.

Hopefully ties up a few loose ends

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 08 Apr 2019 22:13:30
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2019 :  23:41:27  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Added in some more dates for synnoria and defined more how it progressed from a monarchy to a theocracy.

Basically kaminas was king and his daughter herene was in love with deric. They were forbidden from marrying and synnoria was sealed with magic to keep them apart.
Deric dies and centuries later herene is forced to marry Ridinlahr who then becomes a Lord and consort of herene (like Prince Albert is consort of queen elizabeth).
Herene dies of a broken heart, childless. Kaminas goes to evermeet and Ridinlahr is left as Lord of synnoria.
He falls in love with belshareen and makes the harp for her. She dies and he then leaves for evermeet as well (I like the irony of repeating fates).

This synnoria is left without an heir and so the high priest of the temple becomes ruler.

I used Eric's advice for utilising existing characters. Ridinlahr was a Lord of the llewyrr, so the question was how did he get to be one. Then synnoria becomes a theocracy of sorts and so how did the royal line die out. We know kaminas had a daughter and the druidhome novels say that herene died childless so I made Ridinlahr a consort and thus rule could pass to him on herenes death and his fate is already sealed.

Hopefully ties up a few loose ends

Nice job!

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2019 :  07:56:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much. I'm thinking of adding further irony to the tale and linking the llewyrr elves to an elven house if evermeet that is dying out because it gas had no children in centuries (which I figure is the result of a vyshaan curse because they helped the llewyrr escape).
So if kaminas had allowed his daughter to marry deric then perhaps human fertility would have countered the curse and the increased interactions with humans would have resulted in more cross breeding. Instead kaminas sealed synnoria and caused it to dwindle ever more.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2019 :  21:02:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another odd thing in Halls of the High King.

quote:
Old Taunn, a netmender of Aithelar,
has breathed his last. He was
buried at sea yestereve. Xmnn is
said to be the last of The Company
of the Red Sword, an adventuring
group that retired to the Moonshaes
some forty-six summers ago
when the Sword Coast lands (particularly
Tethyr) grew too hot for
their comfort. The Company hid a
great treasure#151;gold, gems, carved
ivory and jade statuettes, pearls,
and magic, too!#151;somewhere on
the Isles and never touched a copper
piece of it as one by one they
grew old and died. No one knows
the horde#146;s resting-place now, but
local lore has always held it to be
somewhere underground near
Aithelar.
Taunn never spoke of the treasure
during his gray years, despite
the prodding of his greedy coworkers.
But on his deathbed he
muttered, #147;The princess#146;ll never
wear her armor now!#148; These
words are thought to apply to a
winged suit of magical field plate
armor of exquisite design, silverplated
and chased into flattering
curves, made for a princess of the
Lantanna almost ninety years ago.
The armor gave the wearer the
power of flight, reflected back
many spells (including magic missiles,
and had gauntlets that could
hurl balls of flame in battle! The
Company stole the armor with the
princess in it; neither she nor the
armor were seen again.
Some Ffolk believe the princess
herself, one Lhysstyliir, still dwells
somewhere on the Moonshaes,
aged and bearing another name.
Some even say she will come to
fight for the Isles in a time of great
need, wielding the awesome
powers of her armor. The Lantanna
have no princesses now;
their noble families long ago renounced
their titles and opened
the ranks of their governing Council
to all citizens.

Its very odd in its specificity, 46 summers ago (from 1357 DR presumably, the adventuring company fled to the Moonshae Isles from Tethyr.
Now in 1319 DR the ten black days of Eleint happened so in the years prior to that there may have been some trouble in the region. the only other Tethyr related event i have is in 1295 DR where King Jaszur of Tethyr is slain and all the crown jewels are stolen.

Now the adventuring company are supposed to have stolen a princess from Lantan at some point, and her plate mail suit (which was made 90 years ago. Presumably the plate mail suit was made to fit the adult her so that puts the princess at least 108 years old in 1357 DR.
The princes is supposed to still be around and fabled to ride to Moonshaes rescue but somehow became separated from Old Yaunn and the suit of plate mail.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2019 :  16:10:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Noted a high harvestmaster of chauntea in the halls of the high king adventure. Checked faiths and avatars and it's the second most senior position in that religion so it looks like I have a name for the leading priest of chauntea in the Moonshaes Isles.

Also noted a number of groves in the Darnell forest in that adventure not linked to Moonwells that have no function other than to be a sacred site.
Also noted hints at elves having lived in Alaron and the other islands but without any remnants of their civilisation left behind. So I'm thinking about making a portal network that linked all the islands, I might call it the alamtine trail.

If the elves did stay on other islands but left no trace, perhaps that was because they did not stay permanently, instead establishing a portal network that linked all the forests into one great land with synnoria at its centre.
Travel through that network could require the metal triangle key from the novels. By following the groves in Alaron in a particular direction you would end up on Gwynneth or Oman or norland or Snowdown or Moray where large forests used to exist.
Using the network from synnoria also allowed you to travel to Sunset Island which had another portal on it that linked to Evermeet.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2019 :  08:37:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halls of the high king is a veritable treasure trove of lore.

Found three Harper's to assist bran skorlsun in his mission to purge false and renegade Harper's.

Also found thanados the falcon, cult leader of bane who led the banites before the coming of gauntather and actually turned from Banes worship to chauntea.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2019 :  11:46:50  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've found a genealogy of the Moonshaes High Kings (don't remember where I found it though, it's not from the GHotR). But does anyone know of a genealogy of the kings of Corwell/Gwynneth??
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2019 :  11:53:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Until the esteemed George Krashos turns his eye to the Moonshae Isles (which seems unlikely given his other areas of focus far from the tiny island chain), it is unlikely there will be a dynasty of Corwell, Moray, Snowdown, or any of the other Moonshae Isles.

I'm making my own but it is by no means canon or even based on canon (except for the early years of Corwell which include the likes of Taylor and Deric), and is based upon a previous iteration of my redevelopment of the Moonshae Isles, which may be where you found it originally.

I'd be interested in seeing another's ideas for a royal lineage of Corwell, Moray, etc, but i appreciate it is a massive undertaking to develop a thousand year lineage (often requiring complete analysis of the region in question).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2019 :  22:53:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, They're not really "royal" lineages, are they? They are local lords running their feifdoms. It would be the same as tracking the family lines of the Silver noble families of Cormyr. Useful to the chasers of the obscure, but not particularly necessary. Gary, why don't you list the actual 'royal' lineage here for all to see?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2019 :  10:08:53  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I shall copy it from GHoTR when I am able.

I however view the individual kingdoms of the ffolk differently. The kings of Corwell are a royal dynasty in themselves with all the power of other kings to set taxes, make laws, wage war, etc. They have individual succession laws (but most follow primogenitor succession).
The high king is best thought of as the king of kings. He is like an emperor with the other kings as his vassals in a similar way that a king has nobles as their vassals.
The high king can overrule a king in certain circumstances and can even choose a new king if circumstances allow.
However the difference is that if a king dislikes his noble he can remove power from him with some resistance (slowly take lands away for failure, force unfavourable marriages, tax him unfairly etc) but for the high king to remove a king is that much more difficult.
A king has access to all the resources and manpower of his noble vassals and if the high king were to interfere in the natural law of a kingdom it is likely all vassals would unite behind their king to resist the high king. Whereas the high king cannot count on the support of all his nobles or vassal kings in the war.
Being a king is a delicate balancing act of keeping nobles and other vassals happy while making sure they do not get too powerful (else they decide they would like to be king themselves). A high king magnifies those problems because each vassal king is already powerful and is a permanent position that the high king has little power to oppose or influence.

Which is why I'm choosing to map the lineages of each island. Admittedly that has little relevance or importance when a high king is in power, but the Moonshaes isles have not always had a high king (the last 4 centuries for instance) so inter kingdom rivalries and alliances are important then (plus I like doing the obscure stuff).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2019 :  21:12:54  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who would have thought, Ed created the Stonewalk spell before it was used by Fzoul in the novel/event to travel to far off places.

Turns out Stonewalk links two places with a teleport effect that operates only between the two specially prepared places. So that means someone (and for me that is Bane, Myrkul, and Bhaal as living beings) setup these stonewalk places all across the realms at some point in the past, and that Fzoul discovered the links and used it much later to his advantage.

So Stellac Benadi travelled to the Moonsea region from presumably Mourktar (the only place with a Banite presence at the time) almost instantly using the stonewalk effect that the Dark Three setup earlier to link their former haunts.

Oodles of possibilities there.

Alternate Realms Site