Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 New Rules
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2014 :  10:29:03  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm working on a new ruleset.

Its a new d20 ruleset, not a collection of homebrew rules. Built from the ground up around an Action-Reaction mechanic. The person performing the action rolls the dice, the person reacting does not (so it cuts down on the number of dicerolls). I've limited the bonuses so its not as much as 3.5 but nowhere near as few as 5e. I've got a number of core classes (fighter, cleric, wizard, druid, rogue, bard, ranger, knight (paladin), sorcerer, all of which are fully customisable with options so that you pick what abilities you gain at each level (down to whether you increase your casting ability or not and what spell list you use - so less need for multiclass).

I'm a bit under halfway there (spells mostly done, combat rules mostly done, skills in first draft, and classes still in the design stage, but im wondering about a few things once i'm finished.

1 - Anyone have any ideas how i can release/publish the rulebooks. I was thinking releasing word documents for free on the internet but charging £5 for a compiled pdf (maybe with artwork). Not sure how i could get printed copies - do companies print books for random people?

2 - Anyone know whether Kickstarter would make a suitable platform for funding releasing/printing an rpg ruleset. It says it can be used for games but requires a video (i'm not pretty enough to be on a video) and im not sure what rewards i could give (maybe naming a class option or getting them involved in the playtesting)

3 - Anyone interested in playtesting once i'm done (or indeed partway through).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2014 :  05:28:01  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For print books you can try print-on-demand (POD):

1) www.CreateSpace.com
2) www.LightningSource.com
3) www.DriveThruStuff.com
4) www.Lulu.com

There is no outstanding cost on the publisher/author side and not stock to store until a customer orders a copy. The buyer also pays shipping.

The above are not listed in any particular order, they each have their benefits. The first two, CreateSpace and Lightning Source, are the two most extensive operations and they're both subsidiaries of larger conglomerates.

There are numerous reviews and comparisons online between CS, LS and Lulu (a Google search away) and they will provide much more detailed analysis than my quick layman's summary below.

CreateSpace is part of Amazon and its strength lies in easy of use, low setup cost, and direct links to the Amazon online retail system (the largest online retailer). As the largest eBook retailer and one of the larger physical book sellers, it would be useful to make your game available in both print and electronic (mobi) formats within that system.

One d20 OGL game to make use of the CreateSpace/Amazon distribution to great effect is the Basic Fantasy RPG (Link) line. It is one of the earlier and more widespread OSR games and offers a professional looking OSR game for very little cost (for physical books). The electronic version is available for free. The designers treat it almost as a non-profit, they make little on the print books if going by the price, but that eases adoption.

Lightning Source is owned by Ingram, one of the largest book distributors. While they don't have much of an individual online retail presence, they have connections to bookstore distribution, but you'll have to research the extent of that for self-published games. Like CreateSpace above, Lightning Source is widely available and I believe they are based in the UK and have a EU printing location in addition to the US location, easing shipping for those outside the US. You'll have to check, but I believe the initial setup cost is a bit higher, but not excessive either way, especially if you plan on expanding the line to more books.

DriveThruStuff is the retail side of OneBookShelf which also owns RPGNow (amongst other genre store fronts, DriveThruRPG naturally, also DriveThru -Comics, -Fiction, -Wargames, etc.) and helped WotC establish the DnDClassics site (which is just a D&D specific skin of their main site, they share a library and retail system). They are the premier site for digital game books in PDF format, being comprised of the two larger and forerunning companies to popularize the PDF format for games.

Aside from PDFs, OBS/DTRPG offers POD, I believe the printing is contracted to Lightning Source (when you order a paper book on DriveThru it's actually printed and fulfilled by Lightning Source). Books are available in softcover and hardcover, in black and white or color (both standard color and premium color options). One of the moderators at The Piazza forums recently ordered a color copy of the Midgard setting book and posted pictures and impressions of the print quality: The Piazza Link.

Lulu seems to be the smaller operation compared to the other two with their international corporation parent companies, but it seems easy to use and has little or no set up cost, it also handles PDF ebooks. Those factors contribute to its popularity amongst the OSR crowd and other gaming DIYers. Another positive is the frequent coupon codes Lulu offers, often 15-20% and at least once a year upwards of 30-40% off (I believe there is a 35% code out currently for the Thanksgiving period). This discount comes off of Lulu's cut and the author's 'royalty' is not affected. There are periodic free shipping codes released as well, which combined with a price off discount can spur sales of your book without affecting the author's percentage.

Some of the negatives include mediocre search functions and an uninspiring online storefront. Other distribution is handled as another process, not sure of the difference with the others though the others are directly tied to their parent distribution links. Nonetheless, many independent OSR publishers use it for their print source or to supplement their offset printing stock (as in a full print run) once they run out.

Other Print POD companies vary depending on the details of their printing operations, but these few noted above seem to be the most popular. There are many other POD companies out there, but few with the audience reach and low cost (both cost to author and cost of headaches from potential issues) as these three.

Beware of outfits that charge excessive amounts per book published and require you to buy a set amount of print books beforehand (that's more vanity publishing and less Print-on-Demand).

Other Digital
DTRPG is listed more for its digital distribution and there are few to match them in the gaming specific field, which means it is one of the first places most go to for small press game company print products.

For others sites to consider for distributing PDFs, I would include www.Paizo.com. Their focus and fan/customer base is obviously heavily Pathfinder oriented, but their online store has a huge selection of games old and new for sale. Some people are looking to consolidate their digital libraries or to combine their print purchases under the same shipment to save on S&H. Paizo handles print books from other publishers, but you have to send them a shipment of books. I'm not sure of the details and costs/consignment involved.

Yet more places to consider includes www.indiepressrevolution.com which deals with mostly non-d20 style games (Apocalypse Engine games, Fate, Fiasco, translations of games from Japan, and generally games with narrative elements), but there are some d20 style games.

Another is www.Warehouse23.com, this is run by Steve Jackson Games (yes, that Steve Jackson, but not that other Steve Jackson). Understandably their inventory and customers lean towards fans of SJG, but other companies sell exclusively through them and other third party publishers have put their wares for sale as well, including Pathfinder third party publishers.

Kickstarter or other crowd-funding routes is an attractive consideration, but it is often filled with pitfalls unless the project is managed very tightly. I recommend reading Fred Hick's blog posts (http://www.deadlyfredly.com/) on the matter. He is the head of Evil Hat games and one of the designers behind Fate, and has run some of the most successful crowd-funding projects (both in raising funds and actually fulfilling on time). He is also bluntly honest about his numbers, accounting, and experiences with the process. The post where he talks about the shipping costs for Fate Core is enlightening, as well as his post breaking down the 'tiers' of self-publishing and the resources one should access at each stage is a must read.

In fact, stop reading this right now and go look up Fred's post and read that instead. He explains everything better than I ever could, and he speaks from first hand experience, both from a self-starter when Fate was just starting to now that he's a first party publisher. http://www.deadlyfredly.com/2014/10/dd-mysterious/

Fred also often points out articles and blogs of interest to this segment of self-publishing and is generally a cool person to follow on various social media.

You couldn't pay for better advice (though you could definitely pay for worse advice, watch out for so called Kickstarter experts offering to coach you for money).

Also, understand that I am only an observer of this process so take everything I say with a few handfuls of salt. Fred Hicks is the Real Deal. Yes, capital 'R' and capital 'D'.

I'll understand if you stop reading at this point and just follow Fred's advice, which you should do.

---

That said, I think your best bet is to finish up a good draft of your game, pass it around to playtesters as you test it with your own group. When it's sufficiently tested, compile a clean edit of it and put it out as a free PDF on DriveThruStuff with decent B&W layout sans art and graphics, except for maybe a simple cover piece. Keep this version fairly straight forward with just basic core classes, a decent selection of classic spells and abilities.

Let that circulate for a while. Take feedback as it comes, which you will hear because you'll be engaged in the groups and forums where your game is making the rounds.

Eventually you'll want to buy some stock art, perhaps pay for a few pieces of art for a cover and stuff, maybe get a professional layout. Depending on the state of your game and the following it has, you may decide on one of two directions.

1) Fund the full version yourself with a nice color or thematic cover and black and white interior art. Put it up for sale at the various retailers listed above with print versions available at one of the POD companies. Keep a low-art version available to allow people interested to take a look before they buy.

Or if you're doing this for fun, just let the whole thing get out there. Examples of this approach are the above noted Basic Fantasy RPG. Also look at Heroes Against Darkness (100% funded by it's designer, 100% free), and the Radiance RPG (a very professional looking product without need of a Kickstarter, and it's available for free). Many OSR games are approached this way, such as Labyrinth Lord, Swords & Wizardry White Box and S&W Core, etc.

2) Go to Kickstarter or the like to fund a the cover, art, a final edit and layout. Ideally this is done after your game has earned a decent following. At this point you may want to contact some guest designers you may have met along the way, depending on the scope of the project. This is where you've spent a while chiseling at additional classes, rules, abilities, etc. and now offer them for inclusion in this final version of the game.

Games that took this approach include:
- Barbarians of Lemuria Mythic Edition: An update of an existing old school style game.
- Majus: a game using the Pacesetter system, from Goblinoid Games, same company as Labyrinth Lords one of the preeminent OSR games.
- Lords of Gossamer and Shadow: Game based on the Amber Diceless system (licensed from designer's estate), managed by Rite Publishing, who have been doing crowd-funding for a long time.
- Adventures Dark and Deep: The person behind it has been an OSR blogger for a long time and has keep apprised of the happenings of self-publishing and crowd-funding.
- Dungeon World: A game based on Apocalypse World designed to emulate the feel of D&D, developed a large following during the drafting stages.
- 6D6 Core RPG: I don't know much about this, but it popped up on my social media (in a non-spammy way).
- Atlantis: The Second Age: The setting taken from the Arcanum RPG, but with a new system (the designer has done other design work before, and completed other Kickstarters).
- Cartoon Action Hour Season 3: Actually the third iteration of CAH, got its start as small game sold at DTRPG, grew in following from there.
- Red Aegis: From the James Brothers, who I'm sure can offer some pointers from the perspective of having gone through the process.

These games followed the Kickstarter path with some draft of the game posted before the project started, but note they involved really big names in the industry:
- Swords & Wizardry Complete: Produced in partnership with Frog God Games, who is one half of Necromancer Games one of the most renown 3E era d20 companies.
- Numenera: From Monte Cook, this was his post-D&D Next consultant project.
- The Strange: From Bruce Cordell, this was his post-Wizards project.
- Fate Core: From Evil Hat and coming from nearly a decade of fan base building (Spirit of the Century and the Dresden Files RPG).
- Hillfolk: From Robin D. Laws and Pelgrane Press, with a list of guest designers from all walks of gaming. A project so interesting Ed Greenwood submitted a scenario pitch on his own accord, he made himself a stretch goal.
- Torchbearer: Based on Mouse Guard/Burning Wheel.
- Esteren: A whole series of books, originally an French RPG, project managed by Studio 2 Publishing.

At the least have the vast majority of your manuscript ready to go. Those who don't often have trouble funding unless they're a known designer. Even then, those who don't have all their ducks in a row often encounter many unexpected issues (are issues ever fully anticipated? would they be issues otherwise), leading to catastrophic project failures (even known and experienced designers have been laid low by Kickstarter, some have nearly irreparably damaged reputations).

Many on the latter list have gone on to win various RPG awards, but they're backed by proven companies. Even those on the first list are mostly from designers with known experience and output. My suggestion is look over them, see what they did, if you haven't before.

Edited by - Dark Wizard on 21 Nov 2014 05:43:28
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2014 :  08:46:25  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent stuff Dark Wizard, thankyou very much. I shall continue working on it until its finished and then put it out there in basic form for free like you suggest before going to DriveThruRPG.

Again, thankyou very much.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2014 :  19:55:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right then, I've decided to put what I've got out there while I work on it in case anyone takes an interest or has any ideas on things I could add.

I'm looking to turn this into a proper finished rule system for an rpg so any and all opinions/feedback is welcome.

It is similar to 3.5 and pathfinder, but different. There is no level based progression to secondary statistics (BAB, Fort, Ref, Will, AC, etc). All classes and races are largely freeform with the player able to pick what abilities they have at each level (even down to spellcasting ability). Spells scale according to spell level. And I've limited the number of types of bonuses and they never stack. But have a read and see for yourself and let me know what you think.

The Combat section is pretty much finished.

The Spells section is largely done from a mechanics point of view, I'm just working on the specific spells.

The Classes section is in early stages with the Fighter class mostly done.

The Skills section is work in progress.

The Rituals section isn't started.

The Items section isn't started but the weapons and armour will probably end up being quite

So here are the various sections. Ill be updating them on a weekly basis. If anyone has any suggestions or questions or input or feedback then by all means post it.

Classes

Combat

Conditions

Introduction

Monsters

Races

Skills

Spells

Feats

Weapons

Armour

Magic Items

Themes

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 03 Jun 2015 13:52:29
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2014 :  20:00:49  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of changes I am working on or have already added. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

No more Barbarian class. Instead the fighter will be able to pick class options like "Rage" and "Hardy" which allow him to rage and increase his HD by one step (from d10 to d12)

All spells can be memorised in any level spell slot. The damage scales by 1d6 per spell level (max 9d6 at 9th level) and bonuses or penalties scale by +1/-1 per spell level.

Only one Spells per day table exists. It applies to all classes. If you multiclass or gain access to another class spell list your spells per day doesn't change (you can just pick from more spells to memorise into the slots).

Only 3 Class Spell Lists exist - Wizard, Cleric, and Druid. The Ranger class can choose to use either the Wizard, Cleric, or Druid spell list. The paladin uses the cleric spell list. The bard uses the wizard spell list. The sorcerer can choose to use either the wizard, cleric, or druid spell list.

The sorcerer is a class defined by a pact/link with a powerful being (outsider, primordial, archfey, etc). This does not have to be a bloodline link, it is a pact forged between the two beings that allows the sorcerer to utilise its power to cast spells (although it can be a bloodline link). Therefore a sorcerer can cast spells from either the wizard, cleric, or druid spell list depending on who it wants to forge a pact with (think of a sorcerer as a merging of warlock, favoured soul, and sorcerer class).

A sorcerer's spells known is equal to 2x Cha modifier (since any spell can be memorised into any slot there is no need for a spells known table it is just a flat figure)

All casting classes have the class option - "Spellcasting". This gives a +1 Class bonus to caster level (which determines your spells per day. Because all class options are optional this means bards can choose to have 0 caster level (no spells) 10 caster level (normal for a bard) or 20 caster level (normal for a wizard) or anywhere in between. Same for paladin, ranger, sorcerer, wizard, cleric, and druid.

Ready and Action is a Standard Action that now grants the character one Immediate Action with which you can use any Standard or Move Action you have available (basically convert any action into an Immediate Action and now Initiative order no longer changes when you Ready an Action)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2014 :  18:54:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So a bit about the system in general.

Superficially it is similar to 3.5 and pathfinder.

The Action-Reaction system is based around the idea that the person performing the Action makes the 1d20 roll and adds his modifiers. The person reaction to it makes no roll, the value is compared to 10 + the modifier of whatever statistic is being used.

On a basic level this is very much what happens in 3.5 and pathfinder. However with the Action-Reaction system, any statistic can used for an Action and any statistic can be used for the Reaction (as determined by the Action being taken). So for instance a combat manoeuvre would use a CMB check as the Action roll compared to a value of 10 + the CMD modifier. However if someone were to attempt to escape a grapple then they would use a CMD check as the Action roll and compare it to the CMB value.

Of course in order for this system to work spells had to be made into attacks (similar to 4th edition) so that you could roll a d20 to get the check result of a spell attack and compare it to the save value.

In theory this should make combat much quicker as only the person taking their turn need roll any dice.

So in brief Action = 1d20 plus various modifiers. Reaction = 10 + various modifiers.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2014 :  19:01:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And a brief bit about my attempt to curb the endless modifiers that caused a nightmare for those not blessed with a degree qualification in mathematics.

So modifiers can only come from the following sources. Class, Race, Template, Item, Feat, Magic, Circumstance.

You get Class bonuses from class abilities. You get Race bonuses from Race abilities. You get Template bonuses from Template abilities. YOu get Item bonuses from the items you carry or use (including magic items). You get Feat bonuses from the feats you have. You get Magic bonuses from spells. You get Circumstance bonuses from everything else.

Bonuses never stack (although they can increase if for instance you take the same Class ability several times). So taking Weapon Training to grant a +1 Class bonus to attack and damage rolls with a weapon and then taking a Class ability to grant you a +1 Class bonus to attack when you charge will only give you a +1 Class bonus to attack (because they do not stack).

However a feat that grants a +1 Feat bonus to attack and a masterwork sword that grants a +1 Item bonus to attack work fine together.

So in theory the bonus creep is limited vastly and there can be no confusion over what does and does not stack.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2014 :  11:52:18  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added in a feats document for the basic proficiency and skill feats (more to come).

I will be adding in feats for core class abilities such as Caster Level (allowing non casting classes to cast spells if they want), Rage, Weapon Training, Armour Training, Familiar, Animal Companion, Channel Energy, etc.

That way there should be absolutely no need to multiclass ever. You pick the class you want, select the class options you want. Any other random abilities you think you might want can be picked up with a feat.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2014 :  13:02:46  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Working on the knight of the code which is an amalgamation of the Fighter class, Knight class and Paladin class (if you dont want a paladin then dont pick the paladin abilities).

I might just change the class name to Knight as Knight of the Code is a bit of a mouthful.

This class is meant to be primarily defensive in nature (need to work on him defending other people), but with ablities relating to charging and destroying undead and healing people.

Here are a few of the class abilities.

- Ability Bonus: This class option may be selected only once. The knight of the code selects either the Strength, Constitution, or Charisma scores. He gains a +2 Class bonus to the chosen ability score.
- Armour Training: This class option may be selected more than once. The knight of the code selects an Armour Group for which he has the Armour Group Proficiency feat. The knight of the code gains a +1 Class bonus to AC checks and the Maximum Dexterity Bonus and Armour Check Penalty when wearing armours from the selected Armour Group. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it may be selected for the same Armour group or it may be selected for a different Armour Group where it increases the Class bonus to AC by +1.
- Aura (Su): This class option may be selected more than once. The knight of the code gains a +1 Class bonus to his aura ability. The knight of the code may project an aura to aid allies or hinder enemies. The knight of the code may, as a standard action, project any aura that he has mastered out to a range of 1 square radius per bonus of his aura ability. The aura’s effects persist until he spends an additional standard action to disable it. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it is selected the knight of the code increases his Class bonus to his aura ability by +1.
- Aura of Courage: This class option may be selected only once. The knight of the code has mastered the aura of courage. By projecting this aura the knight of the code grants a Magic bonus to Willpower saves equal to the aura bonus to every ally within the aura radius.
- Aura of Healing: This class option may be selected only once. The knight of the code has mastered the aura of healing. By projecting this aura the knight of the code grants the fast healing ability to all his allies within the aura radius. The value of fast healing is equal to the aura bonus.
- Aura of Thorns: This class option may be selected only once. The knight of the code has mastered the aura of thorns. Every time someone uses a Melee Attack against the knight or an ally within the aura radius, it is subject to a Spell Attack versus Fortitude. If the attack is successful the target suffers Piercing or Slashing damage (chosen when projecting the aura) equal to the aura bonus. If the attack fails the target suffers no damage.
- Block (Ex): This class option may be selected only once. The knight of the code may, as an Immediate Action after being hit by an attack, use his shield to block the incoming damage from that attack. Any damage caused by the attack is instead inflicted upon the shield (using its Hardness, Hitpoints, and Vulnerabilities). You must use this ability before any damage dice are rolled.
- Block Missile (Ex): This class option may be selected only once. As an immediate action the knight of the code can deflect a ranged or spell attack with his shield so that he takes no damage from the attack. The knight must be aware of the attack and not have the Flat Footed condition. Ranged weapons (or ammo) larger than the knight’s size are unaffected by this ability as are area effect spells and targeted spells versus Reflex.
- Bravery: This class option may be selected more than one. The knight of the code gains a +1 Class bonus to Willpower Save checks. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the knight increases the Class bonus to Willpower Save checks.
- Caster Level (Sp): This class option may be selected more than once. The knight of the code gains a +1 Class bonus to caster level (SPAM = Wisdom). This increases the number of spells per day a knight of the code may prepare and cast. The knight of the code may prepare and cast spells from the Cleric class spell list, and gains access to higher level spells according to his caster level and the maximum level of spell slots he has available. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it is selected the knight of the code increases the Class bonus to caster level by +1.
- Channel Energy (Su): This class option may be selected more than once. The knight of the code may, as a Standard Action, emit a burst of energy to a radius of 1 square. The knight of the code makes a Spell Attack against Reflex. A successful attack deals 1d6 Positive or Negative Energy damage (chosen at the point of use). A failed attack deals half damage. Using this ability to deal Negative Energy damage is an evil act. This ability may be used a number of times per day equal to the knight of the code’s Charisma modifier + 3. This class option may be selected more than once, each time it is selected increase the radius by +1, the damage by +1d6, and the number of daily uses by +1.
- Charger: This class option may be selected more than once. The knight of the code gains a +1 Class bonus to Attack checks and damage rolls made as part of a charge. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it increases the Class bonus by +1.
- Hardy: This class option may be selected only once. The knight of the code increases the HD used to roll his Hitpoints by one step (from 1d10 to 1d12).
- Lay on Hands (Su): This class option may be selected more than once. The knight of the code may, whenever he touches or uses an unarmed or natural attack, infuse his hands with energy. The touch or attack deals 1d6 Positive or Negative Energy (chosen at the point of use) to the target. Using this ability to deal Negative Energy damage is an evil act. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it deals an additional +1d6 damage.
- Mercy: This class option may be selected more than once. The knight of the code may choose one of the following conditions; bleeding, dazzled, disabled, fatigued, shaken, sickened, dazed, diseased, staggered. Every time the knight of the code uses the lay on hands class option to heal a target he may cure the chosen effect or condition from the target, thereby ending the condition. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time a new condition may be chosen that can be removed whenever the knight uses his lay on hands class option.
- Mount: This class option may be selected only once. The knight of the code gains the service of an extraordinary mount that increases in ability as he does (see Companions section). Once per day the knight may call the mount to his side no matter the distance (planar or material) between them, and the mount will arrive within 1 hour.
- Shield Training: This class option may be selected more than once. The knight of the code selects a Shield Group for which he has the Shield Group Proficiency feat. The knight of the code gains a +1 Class bonus to AC checks and the Maximum Dexterity Bonus and Armour Check Penalty when using a shield from the selected Shield Group. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it may be selected for the same Shield group to improve the bonus granted by an additional +1 or it may be selected for a different Shield Group.
- Smite (Su): This class option may be selected more than once. The knight of the code may, 1/day as a swift action, choose a target within sight to smite. If the target has an Intelligence of 5+ and a CR equal to the knight’s level minus two then he may add his Charisma bonus to all his melee attack and damage rolls made against the target, if the target does not meet the requirements then the ability use is wasted. If the target possesses an alignment component that is opposite to the knight’s, or worships a deity opposed by the knight’s then he deals an additional +1d6 damage. Smite automatically bypasses any Damage Resistance or Energy Resistance the creature might possess. The smite effect remains until the target is dead or until the knight of the code rests, if the target reduces the knight to 0 hit points or less then he loses two uses of his smite ability. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the knight of the code may use smite an additional 1/day.
- Subdue: This class option may be selected only once. The knight of the code no longer suffers a -4 Circumstance penalty when using lethal weapons to deal non-lethal damage. In addition, the knight receives a +2 Class bonus to damage rolls when dealing non-lethal damage.
- Tank (Ex): This class option may be selected only once. The knight of the code may, as an Immediate Action whenever he is struck by an attack, use his armour to absorb the incoming damage. Any damage caused by the attack is instead inflicted upon the armour (using its Hardness, Hitpoints, and Vulnerabilities). You must use this ability before any damage dice are rolled.
- Weapon Training: This class option may be selected more than once. The knight of the code selects a Weapon Group for which he has the Weapon Group Proficiency feat. The knight of the code gains a +1 Class bonus to Melee Attack checks and Damage rolls made using any weapon from the selected Weapon Group. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it may be selected for the same Weapon Group to improve the bonus granted by an additional +1 or it may be selected for a different Weapon Group.

Advanced Options: At level 10, every time a knight of the code is allowed to select a class option he may choose from the advanced class options list below instead of the class options list above.
- Armour Mastery: This class option may be selected more than once. The knight of the code selects an Armour Group for which he has the Armour Group Proficiency feat. The knight of the code gains a +5 Class bonus to Damage Resistance when wearing armour from this Armour Group. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it applies to a new Armour Group feat.
- Greater Mercy: This class option may be selected more than once. The knight of the code may choose one of the following conditions; dying, exhausted, frightened, nauseated, poisoned, blinded, deafened, paralysed, petrified, stunned. Every time the knight of the code uses the lay on hands class option to heal a target he may cure the chosen effect or condition from the target, thereby ending the condition. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time a new condition may be chosen.
- Leadership: This class option may be selected more than once. The knight of the code gains a +1 Class bonus to his Leadership ability (and the ability if he did not already possess it). This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the Class bonus to Leadership increases by +1.
- Shield Mastery: This class option may be selected more than once. The knight of the code selects a Shield Group for which he has the Shield Group Proficiency feat. The knight of the code gains a +5 Class bonus to Damage Resistance when using a shield from this Shield Group. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it applies to a new Shield Group feat.
- Supreme Charge: This class option may be selected more than once. The knight of the code gains a +1d6 Class bonus to critical damage while he is mounted and using the Charge action.
- Tireless: This class option may be selected only once. The knight of the code becomes immune to the Fatigued condition.
- Weapon Mastery: This class option may be selected multiple times. The knight of the code selects a Weapon Group for which he has the Weapon Group Proficiency feat. The knight of the code automatically confirms critical hits made when using a weapon from this Weapon Group. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it applies to a new Weapon Group for which the knight of the code possesses the Weapon Group Proficiency feat.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  14:24:57  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Decided on a way to streamline the complexity of keeping track of bonuses to secondary statistics.

Rather than have bonuses that only apply in certain situations or to certain sub-categories, the bonuses shall be more generic so that they can be more permanently applied to a character sheet.

So rather than having a bonus to attack checks that only applies when making opportunity attacks, or a bonus to will checks that only applies against fear effects, or a bonus to Dexterity checks that only applies when you are standing on your head and wearing a pink frilly tutu; instead the bonuses from classes and magic items etc will apply to all attack checks or all will checks, or all dexterity checks. That way the player can add the modifier to the sheet and increase the total modifier rather than having to note what situation it applies in.

More temporary bonuses, like those applied from spells can be more specific in nature, such as applying to individual skill actions rather than all skill checks involving a certain skill.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  14:51:56  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of class options for the bard. Definitely a more difficult class because it contains elements from just about every other class. I'm going to expand the number of auras and give him more options to possess healing magic, i made the bard originally cast spells only from the Wizard class spell ilst so he doesnt possess any healing by default, but they can gain a healing aura to compensate or take the skald class option later, and im thinking of adding in a class option that adds the cure spell to the character's class spell list.

Class Options: At every level a bard gains 2 class options. The bard may select his class options from the list below. Some options where indicated may be selected multiple times others may be selected only once.
- Ability Bonus: This class option may be selected only once. The bard selects either the Dexterity, Intelligence, or Charisma scores. He gains a +2 Class bonus to the chosen ability score.
- Armoured Caster: This class option may be selected more than once. The bard gains a -10% Class bonus to Arcane Spell Failure chance when wearing armour (this reduces the chance of spell failure for arcane spells only – divine and nature spells ignore arcane spell failure). This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the sorcerer increases the Class bonus to Arcane Spell Failure chance by -10% when wearing armour.
- Aura (Su): This class option may be selected more than once. The bard gains a +1 Class bonus to his aura ability. The bard may project an aura to aid allies or hinder enemies. The bard may, as a standard action, project any aura that he has mastered out to a range of 1 square radius per bonus of his aura ability. The aura’s effects persist until he spends an additional standard action to disable it. A bard may not manifest another aura without first disabling his existing aura. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it is selected the bard increases his Class bonus to his aura ability by +1.
- Aura of Courage: This class option may be selected only once. The bard has mastered the aura of courage. By projecting this aura the bard grants a Magic bonus to Willpower checks equal to his aura bonus to every ally within the aura radius.
- Aura of Healing: This class option may be selected only once. The bard has mastered the aura of healing. By projecting this aura the bard grants the fast healing ability to all his allies within the aura radius. The value of fast healing is equal to his aura bonus.
- Aura of Resistance: This class option may be selected more than once. Choose a single type of Energy when selecting this class option (Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, or Sonic). The bard has mastered the aura of resistance. By projecting this aura the bard grants Energy Resistance equal to the value of his aura bonus to all allies within the aura radius and those allies lose vulnerability to the selected Energy type. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time a new Energy type may be selected. The type of Energy to which vulnerability is lost is chosen at the point of manifesting the aura.
- Lore Master: This class option may be selected more than once. The bard may perform any Knowledge skill check as though he possessed the Skill Training feat in that skill (although he does not receive the +5 Feat bonus associated with that feat). In addition the bard receives a +1 Class bonus to all Knowledge skill checks. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it increases the Class bonus to Knowledge skill checks by +1.
- Caster Level (Sp): This class option may be selected more than once. The bard gains a +1 Class bonus to caster level (SPAM = Intelligence). This increases the number of spells per day a bard may prepare and cast. The bard may prepare and cast spells from the Wizard class spell list, and gains access to higher level spells according to his caster level and the maximum level of spell slots he has available. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it is selected the bard increases the Class bonus to caster level by +1.
- Bardic Knowledge: This class option may be selected more than once. The bard gains may select another field of expertise from any skill for which he possesses the Skill Training feat (and that has fields of expertise to select). This class option may be selected multiple times, each time another field of expertise may be selected.
- Sneak Attack (Ex): This class option may be selected more than once. The bard gains the ability to sneak attack any opponent which has the Flat Footed condition or any opponent against which the bard has the Flanking condition. The bard must be within 6 squares (30 ft) of the target, be able to see the target, and pick out vital weak points (therefore targets with the Concealment condition are unaffected). The bard may use the Sneak Attack ability a number of times per day equal to his Dexterity modifier +3. Whenever he performs a Melee Attack, Ranged Attack, or Spell Attack action as a Standard Action against a target and his AC check (so area effect spells and spells that target Fort, Ref, or Will saves are not allowed), the bard may add +1d6 damage from the Sneak Attack if the attack is successful. The damage type of the extra damage is the same as the normal damage for the attack. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the bard increases the Sneak Attack damage dealt by +1d6 and the number of uses per day by +1.
- Versatile Performer: This class option may be selected more than once. The bard may make any Perform skill check as though he possessed the Skill Training in that skill (although he does not receive the +5 Feat bonus associated with that feat). In addition the bard receives a +1 Class bonus to all Perform skill checks. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it increases the Class bonus to Perform skill checks by +1.

Advanced Options: At level 10, every time a bard is allowed to select a class option he may choose from the advanced class options list below instead of the class options list above.
- Aura Master: This class option may be selected only once. The bard has gained the ability to manifest two auras at the same time. A separate Standard Action must be taken to manifest or disable each aura in turn, but two auras can remain in effect simultaneously.
- Jack of all Trades: This class option may be selected only once. The bard may perform any skill check as though he possessed the Skill Training feat in that skill (although he does not receive the +5 Feat bonus associated with that feat).
- Skald: This class option may be selected only once. The bard gains access to spells from the Cleric class spell list and may prepare and cast those spells in his available spell slots as normal (SPAM = Wisdom) using his current caster level.

Anyone have any other ideas for class options for a bard. I realise they are primarily skill based (a bit like the rogue) but i think i've covered a lot of that already. Other than making them focus on auras what else should a bard be able to do? Is meta magic something all bards should be able to do, or perhaps magic item creation?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2014 :  08:41:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been mulling over the saving throw and spell duration system.

It has rather annoyed me when a single spell incapacitates several or even all members of the party in one go and results in a TPK.

For some reason the inflicted are forced to wait until the duration expires before they can regain control of themselves (sleep, mind blast, confusion, hold person, etc).

In the movies and stories we are continually presented with instances of the hero resisting the influence and breaking its hold of them early, he then surprises the enemy and butchers him.

Trying to represent this in D&D i've had a few thoughts.

1 - Allow non spellcasting characters the ability to remove negative conditions (and thereby end the effects of the spell prematurely) possibly through the use of a Heal skill check. I figure this is like Hermione in Harry Potter and her back of tricks that allow her to cure a variety of spell induced problems (would require an apothecary bag or something like that).

2 - Have saving throws be repeated at every interval of a spell's duration. So a spell with a duration of several rounds allows the target to make a save check at the end of every round. A spell with a duration of minutes, hours, days, etc allows the target to make a save every minute, hour, day. If the save is successful the spell is ended. This would be a save check against the spell attack check of the caster and is currently the system i have implemented but i'm not entirely happy with it.

3 - Allow characters the chance to take a Saving Throw action (as a Standard Action) that allows them to make a save check against the spell attack check of the caster. If successful they can remove one spell in effect. Mental actions are allowed if for instance the character is paralysed or held immobile but otherwise retains their thoughts. Certain spells prevent this action (petrification, and sleep for instance) because the character is unable to perform any actions as they are no longer conscious.

I'm leaning towards a combination of 1 and 3 (option 2 would cause two many saving throws at the end of each round and i want to limit the number of dice rolls to only what is absolutely necessary).

So if you are affected by a spell that debilitates you in some way you can stop and try to resist it, or perform a Heal check to remove the condition (if there is one), or get someone else to perform a Heal check on you, or finally you can have a spellcaster cast dispel magic or cure malady to try and remove it.

That way TPK events should become much rarer, and players wont feel left out of combat if they have a hold person spell cast on them in the first round and it has a duration of 20 rounds or more.

Any thoughts?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2014 :  09:52:39  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say 1, I don't like 2 and I don't get how 3 would work.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2014 :  10:07:25  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well number 3 is possible because of the Action/Reaction system. Its similar to 3.5/pathfinder but different.

All checks can now either be an Action (make a 1d20 roll + modifiers) or a reaction (10 + modifiers) check. Rather than the current 3.5/pathfinder version where it is stated explicitly that you roll a 1d20 for melee attacks and compare it to AC or you compare your spell DC to a 1d20 plus modifiers for your saving throw.

So when casting a spell you roll a 1d20 for a spell attack against whatever defence value the spell is against (AC, Fort, Ref, Will). The against parameter is always a reaction so it is 10 + the total of your modifiers for AC or Fort or Ref or Will, whatever the spell is targetting.

If the attack is successful the spell succeeds and the target suffers the effects like normal for a spell and it lasts until the duration expires.

On the affected character's turn he can use an action to perform a Saving Throw action (as a Standard Action) and he rolls 1d20 + his total modifier for the saving throw (determined by the spell cast on him) against the casters spell attack (10 + the total modifier for the caster's spell attack).

If the affected character is successful then he resists the spell and ends its effects immediately and prematurely.

The affected character does not have to attempt a Saving Throw action, he can carry on as normal but with the negative consequences and the spell will play out like it normally would ending when its duration expires or the caster ends it. But if he wishes to devote an action to attempting to resist the effects of the spell then he can do so. Although like everything in D&D there is no guarantee of success.

So here is what i have as the proposed writeup for the Saving Throw action.

Saving Throw: During your turn you may attempt a Save check (the save is determined by the spell you are resisting) against a Spell Attack check (of the caster of the spell) to remove any ongoing spell effect upon your character. If your Save check is equal to or higher than the caster’s Spell Attack check then the spell is ended immediately.
Performing a Saving Throw action is a Standard Action although certain class options, magic items, and spells allow Saving Throw actions to be performed as other actions..
Opportunity Attacks: Performing a Saving Throw action provokes Opportunity Attacks.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 10 Dec 2014 15:25:00
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2014 :  15:23:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A quick mock up of a basic monk.

I'm not entirely sure if there should be a monk class or not. I removed the barbarian because he was really just a fighter that could rage, and barbarian was more a lifestyle choice than an adventuring profession.

Monk is again a lifestyle choice rather than an adventuring profession but i cannot think of what class i could roll the monk into. They are not at all similar to any other class. The religion focus of previous editions mean it could go within the cleric class but none of the existing monk abilities fit well with the cleric's.

I'm thinking if i add plenty of knowledge and linguistic skill based options then they could become a kind of sage like, skill based class, and would mean that they fulfill the role of western monks, while combat options allow them to fulfill the role of eastern monks. The player can then choose which type they want to be like, or a mix of both (which is more likely).

Monk
The monk is a semi-religious character, devoted to the development and perfection of self. Some entering this path seek the aid of powerful divine beings on their road to perfection; others seek to delve the inner mysteries of the universe. All achieve varying levels of oneness with the universe that grant unusual abilities in combat and other worldly pursuits.
The monk benefits from high wisdom, dexterity, strength, and constitution.
Alignment: Any Lawful
Hit Points: 1d8 or 5 per level
Class Skills
The monk’s class skills are Acrobatics (Dex), Athletics (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Discipline (Cha), Insight (Wis), Knowledge (Int), Perception (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Stealth (Dex). A monk begins play by choosing 4 Skill Training feats from the monk’s list of class skills.
Class Features
Proficiency: A monk begins play with the Weapon Group (Basic) feat and any 1 other feat from the Weapon Group feat tree. A monk does not begin with any Armour Group or Shield Group proficiency feats.
Class Options: At every level a monk gains 2 class options. The monk may select his class options from the list below. Some options where indicated may be selected multiple times others may be selected only once.
- AC Bonus: This class option may be selected more than once. The monk gains a +1 Class bonus to AC. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the monk increases his Class bonus to AC by +1.
- Evasion (Ex): This class option may be selected only once. The monk can reduce damage from area effect attacks. Any time an attack fails that has a target of Area, is made against the monk’s Reflex check, and deals Half damage on a failed attack; the monk suffers no damage instead of half damage on a failed attack (any other effects incurred by the attack apply as normal, only the damage is reduced).
- Flurry of Blows: This class option may be selected only once. The monk adds his Strength bonus to all attacks regardless of the weapon being used (not 0.5x his Strength bonus for Light weapons or 1.5x his Strength bonus for two handed weapons).
- Movement Bonus: This class option may be selected more than once. The monk gains a +1 Class bonus to his Movement Category (Land) Speed). This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the Class bonus to his Movement Category (Land) Speed increases by +1.
- Sohei: This class option may be selected only once. The monk no longer loses access to his class options when wearing light armour.
- Slow Fall: This class option may be selected more than once. The monk increases the minimum distance he can fall before suffering damage by +10 ft. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the monk increases the minimum distance he can fall before suffering damage by an additional +10 ft.
- Unarmed Strike: This class option may be selected more than once. The monk’s unarmed attacks are considered lethal weapons and can be used to deal lethal or non-lethal damage as the monk desires. In addition the damage dice dealt by a monk’s unarmed attacks increases by one step (1d2, 1d3, 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 1d10, 1d12, 2d6, 2d8, 2d10, 2d12, 3d8, 3d10, 3d12, 4d10, 4d12). This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the damage dice dealt by the monk’s unarmed attacks increases by one step.

Advanced Options: At level 10, every time a monk is allowed to select a class option he may choose from the advanced class options list below instead of the class options list above.
- Damage Resistance: This class option may be selected more than once. The monk gains a +2 Class bonus to Damage Resistance and loses vulnerability to Bludgeoning, Piercing and Slashing damage types but gains vulnerability to either; Silver, Cold Iron, or Adamantine (chosen by the player) if he is not already vulnerable to one of these damage types. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the sorcerer increases the Class bonus to Damage Resistance by +2.
- Poison Immunity: This class option may be selected only once. The monk becomes immune to all poisons.
- Immortality: This class option may be selected only once. The monk no longer takes penalties from ageing (although those already accrued remain) but receives bonuses for ageing. If the monk is killed he is reincarnated 24 hours later (as the ritual) in a place of his choosing within 20 miles of the place of his death, the monk must have visited the place into which he is to return.
- Improved Evasion (Ex): This class option may be selected only once. The monk can reduce damage from area effect attacks. Any time an attack fails that has a target of Area, is made against the monk’s Reflex check, and deals Half damage on a failed attack; the monk suffers half damage from a successful attack and no damage instead of half damage on a failed attack (any other effects incurred by the attack apply as normal, only the damage is reduced).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  09:02:57  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a starting draft of the sorcerer class.

I originally struggled as to how to make the sorcerer distinct from the wizard class. I didn't want it to be based purely upon the type of spellcasting since i was never comfortable with the sorcerer's power being derived purely from a draconic ancestor (which later became fey, outsider, etc, etc, ancestors).

I eventually decided that the wizard would be a student of magic learning its secrets and how to mould it better. A sorcerer is a person that uses magic (provided by another being) to mould himself, using his body as the conduit to unleash that magic. I also decided upon merging the favoured soul, warlock, and sorcerer classes (with a little bit of warmage) since they were thematically similar (deriving power from another being) and had similar methods of casting (a limited number of spells known).

For this class it doesnt matter who or what the power is derived from (although it could be a useful roleplay tool). The sorcerer picks a class spell list to utilise at the start and gains a limited number of spells known. Because any spell can be memorised into any level spell slot there is no need for a spells known progression table, it can be a single value (making the sorcerer more versatile at lower levels but less so at higher levels).

I intend for item creation and meta magic options to be part of the wizard class but can be taken as feats which will allow sorcerers access to them if they want (they just wont be able to take as many). There will be no difference between meta magic for wizards, clerics, sorcerers or druids.

Sorcerer
A sorcerer is a unique style of casting class able to cast spells from the Wizard, Cleric, and or Druid class list. A sorcerer derives his powers from another being far greater than himself, a link is formed between the sorcerer and this being through which magical power is transferred to the sorcerer enabling him to cast spells. This link may come in the form of a genetic inheritance from a dragon or an outsider, it might come in the form of a pact between a celestial or demonic patron, it might even come from a fey being or even a deity.
Whatever the origin of the link, a sorcerer is able to cast any spell he knows into any spell slot he has available without preparing the spell before hand. Furthermore, a sorcerer has access to transformative and sometimes even monstrous class options.
A sorcerer benefits most from a high Charisma score
Hit Points: 1d6 or 4 per level.
Class Skills
The sorcerer’s class skills are Arcana (Int), Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Discipline (Cha), Nature (Wis), Profession (Wis), Religion (Wis). A sorcerer begins play by choosing 4 Skill Training feats from the sorcerer’s list of class skills.
Class FeaturesProficiency: A sorcerer begins play with the Weapon Group (Basic) feat and any one other Weapon Group Weapon Group feat tree. The sorcerer does not have any Armour Group or Shield Group feats.
Spells Known: A sorcerer begins play with a number of Spells Known equal to his Charisma modifier x2 (his bonus spell slots per day are still determined by his SPAM). A sorcerer does not need a spell book or notes in order to prepare his spells as they are automatically available to the sorcerer (by way of the link with a powerful being). A sorcerer may swap his spells known list whenever he gains a new level, and he gains access to higher level spells automatically when he gains access to a spell slot of the appropriate level.
A sorcerer need not prepare spells in advance to cast them. He can spontaneously cast any spell he knows into any spell slot he has available. A sorcerer must still rest in order to replenish his energy reserves through the link with the powerful being that enables his spellcasting ability.
Class Options: At every level the sorcerer gains 2 class options. The sorcerer may select his class options from the list below. Some options where indicated may be selected multiple times others may be selected only once.
- Armoured Caster: This class option may be selected more than once. The sorcerer gains a -10% Class bonus to Arcane Spell Failure chance when wearing armour (this reduces the chance of spell failure for arcane spells only – divine and nature spells ignore arcane spell failure). This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the sorcerer increases the Class bonus to Arcane Spell Failure chance by -10% when wearing armour.
- Advanced Learning: This class option may be selected more than once. The sorcerer gains a +1 Class bonus to Spells Known (from a class spell list he has access to). The sorcerer may only add spells to his Spells Known list that he is able to cast. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the sorcerer increases the Class bonus to Spells Known by +1.
- Caster Level (Sp): This class option may be selected more than once. The sorcerer gains a +1 Class bonus to caster level. This increases the number of spells per day a sorcerer may cast. When initially choosing this option the sorcerer may choose to cast spells from either the Cleric, Druid, or Wizard class spell list and this choice may not be altered later (SPAM = Wisdom for Cleric and Druid, and Intelligence for Wizard). The sorcerer gains access to higher level spells according to his caster level and the maximum level of spell slots he has available. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it is selected the sorcerer increases the Class bonus to caster level by +1.
- Claws (Su): This class option may be selected more than once. The sorcerer gains the ability to extend a set of claws from his hands for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma modifier +3. The claws deal 1d4 Slashing damage with a critical threat range of 20 and critical damage of +1d6. The claws may be extended or retracted as a Free Action and the duration need not be used consecutively. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the damage dice increases by 1 step (from 1d4 to 1d6 to 1d8, etc up to a maximum of 1d12) and the duration increases by +1 round.
- Damage Resistance: This class option may be selected more than once. The sorcerer gains a +2 Class bonus to Damage Resistance and loses vulnerability to Bludgeoning, Piercing and Slashing damage types but gains vulnerability to either; Silver, Cold Iron, or Adamantine (chosen by the player) if he is not already vulnerable to one of these damage types. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the sorcerer increases the Class bonus to Damage Resistance by +2.
- Eldritch Blast (Su): This class option may be selected more than once. The sorcerer gains the ability to fire a bolt of magical energy at the target. The energy blast has a range of Close and requires a Spell Attack vs. Reflex in order to hit. On a successful hit the target suffers 1d6 energy damage (Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, or Sonic chosen when first selecting this option) upon a successful hit, a critical deals an additional +1d6 energy damage, and a failure to hit negates the effect. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the damage increases by +1d6.
- Eldritch Healing (Su): This class option may be selected more than once. The sorcerer gains the ability to heal himself for 1d3 points of damage per spell level sacrificed from one of his Spells Per Day slots. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it increases the damage dice healed by one step (1d3 to 1d4 to 1d6 to 1d8 to 1d10, to 1d12).
- Energy Resistance: This class option may be selected more than once. The sorcerer gains a +2 Class bonus to Energy Resistance and loses vulnerability to one chosen damage type; Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, Sonic, Positive, or Negative. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the sorcerer increases the Class bonus to Energy Resistance by +2 (he may not choose to lose vulnerability to another damage type though).
- Extra Slot: This class option may be selected more than once. The sorcerer gains a +1 Class bonus to Spells per Day. Like the other bonus Spells Per Day, the sorcerer must choose which spell level slot to apply it to (it does not apply to them all) and he cannot apply it to a spell level that he does not have access to. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it increases the Class bonus to Spells Per Day by +1.
- Servitor: This class option may be selected only once. The sorcerer gains access to a servitor (see Companions section).
- Wings (Su): This class option may be selected more than once. The sorcerer gains a pair of wings that can take any form he desires at the point of choosing this option (bat like wings, angelic wings, draconic wings, etc). The sorcerer gains the Movement Category (Fly) and a Movement Speed of 4 squares with Poor manoeuvrability. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it is selected the sorcerer increases the Class bonus to Movement Speed for Movement Category (Fly) by +2 squares, or the manoeuvrability increases by one step (Poor to Average, Average to Good, Good to Perfect).

Advanced Options: At level 10, every time a sorcerer is allowed to select a class option he may choose from the advanced class options list below instead of the class options list above.
- Favoured Soul: This class option may be selected only once. The sorcerer gains access to spells from the Cleric class spell list and may prepare and cast those spells in his available spell slots as normal (SPAM = Wisdom) using his current caster level.
- Energy Immunity: This class option may be selected only once and the sorcerer must have previously selected the Energy Resistance class option before selecting this class option. You become immune to one energy type (Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, Sonic).
- Extra Senses: This class option may be selected more than once. The sorcerer gains a +2 square Class bonus to the Vision Modes Blindsense or Tremorsense (thereby gaining those vision modes if he did not have them before). This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the sorcerer increases his Class bonus to the Blindsense or Tremorsense Vision Mode by +2 squares.
- Magical Combinator: This class option may be selected only once and the sorcerer must have selected the Magical Manipulator class option first before selecting this class option. The sorcerer gains the ability to combine his Spells Per Day slots to allow him to cast spells at a higher spell level than he would normally be able to (he is still only able to add spells to his Spells Known list from spell levels that he normally has access to). The sorcerer may cast spells at any level spell slot he desires so long as it does reduce his Current Spell Slots below zero..
- Magical Manipulation: This class option may be selected only once. The sorcerer gains the ability to split his Spells Per Day slots into individual spell levels. The sorcerer combines all spell level slots into a new statistic called Spell Slots (Current and Total), add up the total of all spell level slots per day and record that in the Total Spell Slots. Every time the sorcerer casts a spell he reduces the Current Spell Slots number by the spell level used to cast the spell. The sorcerer may not reduce his Current Spell Slot below zero and he may not cast a spell at a spell level higher than his highest spell level slot as determined by the Spells Per Day table (using his caster level).
- Shaman: This class option may be selected only once. The sorcerer gains access to spells from the Druid class spell list and may prepare and cast those spells in his available spell slots as normal (SPAM = Wisdom) using his current caster level.
- Transformation: This class option may be selected only once. The sorcerer changes his type to Aberration Dragon, Fey, Outsider, Outsider (Elemental), or Undead. The sorcerer gains all the traits from his new type.
- Warlock: This class option may be selected only once. The sorcerer gains access to spells from the Wizard class spell list and may prepare and cast those spells in his available spell slots as normal (SPAM = Intelligence) using his current caster level.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  22:04:08  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I've been mulling over the saving throw and spell duration system.

It has rather annoyed me when a single spell incapacitates several or even all members of the party in one go and results in a TPK.

For some reason the inflicted are forced to wait until the duration expires before they can regain control of themselves (sleep, mind blast, confusion, hold person, etc).

In the movies and stories we are continually presented with instances of the hero resisting the influence and breaking its hold of them early, he then surprises the enemy and butchers him.

Trying to represent this in D&D i've had a few thoughts.

1 - Allow non spellcasting characters the ability to remove negative conditions (and thereby end the effects of the spell prematurely) possibly through the use of a Heal skill check. I figure this is like Hermione in Harry Potter and her back of tricks that allow her to cure a variety of spell induced problems (would require an apothecary bag or something like that).

2 - Have saving throws be repeated at every interval of a spell's duration. So a spell with a duration of several rounds allows the target to make a save check at the end of every round. A spell with a duration of minutes, hours, days, etc allows the target to make a save every minute, hour, day. If the save is successful the spell is ended. This would be a save check against the spell attack check of the caster and is currently the system i have implemented but i'm not entirely happy with it.

3 - Allow characters the chance to take a Saving Throw action (as a Standard Action) that allows them to make a save check against the spell attack check of the caster. If successful they can remove one spell in effect. Mental actions are allowed if for instance the character is paralysed or held immobile but otherwise retains their thoughts. Certain spells prevent this action (petrification, and sleep for instance) because the character is unable to perform any actions as they are no longer conscious.

I'm leaning towards a combination of 1 and 3 (option 2 would cause two many saving throws at the end of each round and i want to limit the number of dice rolls to only what is absolutely necessary).

So if you are affected by a spell that debilitates you in some way you can stop and try to resist it, or perform a Heal check to remove the condition (if there is one), or get someone else to perform a Heal check on you, or finally you can have a spellcaster cast dispel magic or cure malady to try and remove it.

That way TPK events should become much rarer, and players wont feel left out of combat if they have a hold person spell cast on them in the first round and it has a duration of 20 rounds or more.

Any thoughts?

Personally I'd rather change the spells to allow for multiple saves or at least spells that progress as saves fail. For example in 4E a Medusa starts to turn you to stone. If you fail your saving throw you're slowed (body slowly changing to stone), next failed save you're immobilized (lower half of your body is already stone), third failed save and you're now petrified. You can, of course, change up the rate at which you apply the saving throws. One idea is to make it all happen in 1 turn, so it would look like this:

Petrifying Gaze: If you lock your gaze with that of the medusa, make a Will/Wisdom/Death Saving Throw. If you fail you start to turn to stone and your now slowed. For each successful save, remove one condition until you no longer are under the gaze's effects. On the next turn:

Initiative count 15: Make a second saving throw. A failure results in you becoming immobilized.

Initiative count 10: Make a third saving throw. A failure results in you becoming permanently petrified.

What this does it make the ability still potent (slowed can really suck sometimes, especially with zone effects going on) and the character can still act on their turn while saving however when you start to fail your saves, the effect becomes more dangerous. And it can all end on the next turn (unlike in 4E where it takes at most 3 turns in which any number of allies can help you out of your situation).

Barring that idea, I do like your #1 option where characters can break free of magical conditions. Sort of reminds me of Iron Heart's Surge maneuver from the v3.5 Tome of Battle supplement.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  08:44:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Multiple effects in the more powerful spells is not a bad idea.

I have always disliked the death spells and effects. It always seemed to me like a bit of a game spoiler when characters (or indeed NPCs) are killed off in one shot by an unlucky roll. 2nd edition was plagued with untimely deaths and TPKs which ruined the game (although i admit some people seemed to like the danger potential - until it happened to them). 3rd edition had less of a problem but only because spells were so unlikely to affect a high level character because of the level based progression of saves but static scores for DCs. 4th edition made a better job of it with death saving throws, but it didnt work well with the damage/hp system and feels like it was bolted on. Because of this i decided not to have any death effects. Death is caused by the amount of damage inflicted.

The multiple save/effect idea actually could be a way around a few problems i have been having. Since i made all spells scale directly with spell level, it removed a lot of spells that only differed based on the amount of damage the spell did.

It also removed all the death spells because they do not scale well if at all. However if i have damage with the first effect, attribute damage with the second effect, maybe some hideous condition with a third effect, it would make Finger of Death or Power Word Kill significantly different from the Inflict spell. I dont think i will go down the route of different effects on different initiative counts purely for simplicities sake, but a number of effects triggered by the success of the previous effect could be quite devastating.

It still wouldnt cause instant death, but the player would probably wish it had.

I'm definitely going with option 1. I've expanded the skills an awful lot and the ability to cure conditions and hp damage seems like something that should have been there all along. I'm still considering allowing option 3 just so that players have the chance to save themselves if they want to (rather than having to wait for someone else). For a movie example of option 3 in practice i picture it working like the scene from Willow, where Willow chucks the acorn at Bavmorda. She catches it in her fist and it turns to stone, then she concentrates for a few seconds and ends the effect. That is how i picture the Saving Throw action working.

Back to option 1, i've altered the spell system now so that it reinforces the skill system, providing bonuses to allow spellcasters to achieve the extraordinary actions spells previously allowed. So for instance Charm now grants the wizard an immediate Diplomacy (Influence) check with a scalable bonus to the check. Identify grants the wizard an immediate Arcana (Identify) check with a scalable bonus to the check. Fabricate grants the wizard an immediate Craft check with a scalable bonus to the check.

The idea being that normal people can do whatever spellcasters can do if they are skilled enough, but wizards can do it easily without the training if they have the right spell.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  11:42:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another basic draft of a class, this time the ranger. Not too sure on what higher level abilities to give a ranger yet apart from the ability to cast spells like a wizard. I know many of the characters from Ed's campaigns (the knights of myth drannor) included rangers which were able to learn how to cast wizard spells at later levels so i wanted to include that option. Then for the name i used an insult from Lord of the Rings.

Not too sure about the Skirmish ability. It is originally from the scout class reworked as a selectable option. It fits thematically with the ranger as a mobile fighter (they certainly shouldnt be able to behave as a traditional tank style fighter), but the movement requirement seems a little low (maybe 4 squares - 20 ft - would be more appropriate and limit its use in enclosed city areas).

Ranger
The ranger is a true frontiersman, capable of living in the wilds of any environment for months at a time with only his wits to guide him. A student of nature he is at one with the natural world while at the same time capable of taming its wilder parts. He can be a master of stealth and a deadly combatant as well as a spell caster of some skill. Some rangers devote themselves to service of a nature deity, others devote themselves entirely to nature itself and thereby derive their power from the land they live upon.
A mix of skill, spellcasting, and combat class, the Ranger benefits from having high Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Wisdom, and Charisma scores.
Hit Points: 1d10 or 6 per level
Class SkillsThe ranger’s class skills are Athletics (Str), Craft (Int), Discipline (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (Int), Nature (Cha), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Religion (Wis), Ride (Dex), Stealth (Dex), Tinker (Int). A ranger begins play by choosing 5 Skill Training feats from the ranger’s list of class skills.
Class Features
Proficiency: A ranger begins play with the Weapon Group (Basic) feat, any 3 other Weapon Group feats, any 1 Armour Group feat, and any 2 Shield Group feats.
Class Options: At every level a ranger gains 2 class options. The ranger may select his class options from the list below. Some options where indicated may be selected multiple times others may be selected only once.
- Animal Companion: This class option may be selected only once. The ranger gains the service of an animal companion (see Companions section).
- Archery Training: This class option may be selected more than once. The ranger gains a +1 Class bonus to Attack checks and damage rolls when attacking with ranged weapons (not including thrown weapons or spells). This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the Class bonus to Attack checks and damage rolls increases by +1.
- Caster Level (Sp): This class option may be selected more than once. The ranger gains a +1 Class bonus to caster level (SPAM = Wisdom). This increases the number of spells per day a ranger may prepare and cast. The bard may prepare and cast spells from the Druid or Cleric class spell list and this choice may not be altered later, and gains access to higher level spells according to his caster level and the maximum level of spell slots he has available. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it is selected the bard increases the Class bonus to caster level by +1.
- Combat Reflexes: This class option may be selected more than once. The ranger receives a +1 Class bonus to the number of Opportunity Attacks he may make in a round. He may still only make one attack per opportunity regardless of how many Opportunity Attacks he can perform in one round. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it is selected the Class bonus to the number of Opportunity Attacks he may make in a round increases by +1.
- Evasion (Ex): This class option may be selected only once. The monk can reduce damage from area effect attacks. Any time an attack fails that has a target of Area, is made against the monk’s Reflex check, and deals Half damage on a failed attack; the monk suffers no damage instead of half damage on a failed attack (any other effects incurred by the attack apply as normal, only the damage is reduced).
- Favoured Enemy: This class option may be selected more than once. The ranger selects a particular subrace of enemy (human, shield dwarf, moon elf, goblin, mountain orc, fire giant, red dragon, lemure, etc). The ranger gains a +2 Class bonus to all Skill checks, Attack checks, and damage rolls made against the selected enemy. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the ranger gains a +2 Class bonus to the selected enemy type, if the same enemy type is chosen the Class bonus increases by +2.
- Favoured Terrain: This class option may be selected more than once. The ranger selects a particular terrain type (plains, forest, aquatic, tundra, glacial, Underdark, desert, etc) and gains a +2 Class bonus to all Skill checks and Initiative checks made whilst in that particular terrain type. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the ranger gains a +1 Class bonus to a selected terrain type, if the same terrain type is chosen the Class bonus increases by +2.
- Movement Bonus: This class option may be selected more than once. The monk gains a +1 Class bonus to his Movement Category (Land) Speed). This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the Class bonus to his Movement Category (Land) Speed increases by +1.
- Multiple Weapon Training: This class option may be selected more than once. The ranger gains a +1 Class bonus to Attack checks and damage rolls when wielding a weapon in each hand (not including shields). This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the Class bonus to Attack checks and damage rolls increases by +1.
- Multiple Weapon Training: This class option may be selected more than once. The ranger gains a +1 Class bonus to Attack checks and damage rolls when wielding a natural weapon (including unarmed attacks). This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the Class bonus to Attack checks and damage rolls increases by +1.
- Skirmish (Ex): This class option may be selected more than once. Any time the ranger moves more than 2 squares in a round he deals and extra +1d6 damage on any one attack check (as a Standard Action) made in that round. The ranger must be within 6 squares (30 ft) of the target, be able to see the target, and pick out vital weak points (therefore targets with the Concealment condition are unaffected). The damage type of the extra damage is the same as the normal damage for the attack. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the ranger increases the extra damage dealt by +1d6
- Snares: This class option may be selected more than once. The ranger gains a +2 Class bonus to the Tinker (Trap) skill. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the Class bonus to the Tinker (Trap) skill increases by +2.
- Two Handed Weapon Training: This class option may be selected more than once. The ranger gains a +1 Class bonus to Attack checks and damage rolls when wielding a weapon two handed. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the Class bonus to Attack checks and damage rolls increases by +1.
- Uncanny Dodge (Ex): This class option may be selected more than once. The ranger cannot be flanked except by creatures of equal level (equal number of HD) or higher than himself. Characters of a lower level than this threshold do not gain the Flanking condition when flanking the ranger. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it is selected the minimum level required to flank the ranger increases by +1.
- Wild Empathy: This class option may be selected more than once. The ranger may use his Nature skill to perform Diplomacy (Influence) checks against creatures with the Animal, Magical Beast, Plant, and Vermin Type (chosen when selecting this class option). Attempting to use the Nature (Influence) skill check on creatures that do not have the selected Type increases the required DC by +5. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the ranger may select another creature Type from the list to use his Nature (Influence) check on.

Advanced Options: At level 10, every time a ranger is allowed to select a class option he may choose from the advanced class options list below instead of the class options list above.
- Wizard’s Pupil: This class option may be selected only once. The ranger gains access to spells from the Wizard class spell list and may prepare and cast those spells in his available spell slots as normal (SPAM = Intelligence) using his current caster level.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2014 :  14:54:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A draft of the wizard class

I've only added in metamagic feat as class options so far, the wording has been particularly problematic as i wanted to allow for the various metamagic option to be selectable multiple times (it allowed for the removal of a lot of redundancy and allowed for increased customisation).

I'm intending to add options that work with each individual school to allow people that want to specialise in conjuration magic for instance to pick options tailored for conjurors. I'm also thinking of including ideas from the alchemist, witch, and summoner class into the wizard class.

The metamagic class options will be available as feats in the same format, so clerics, bards, sorcerers, paladins, druids, and rangers can pick them. But a character only gets 10 feats by 20th level, so they will never be as good at metamagic as a wizard. Also there is no difference between a wizard using metamagic and a sorcerer using metamagic.

Wizard
A wizard is the typical arcane spellcasting staple of fantasy imagery. Typically a studious man with little in the way of physical defences, the wizard is equipped with little more than a staff and his spell-book. However the wizard is by no means defenceless and is capable of unleashing a dizzying array of magical spells at his enemy.
A wizard benefits most from a high Intelligence score
Hit Points: 1d6 or 4 per level.
Class Skills
The wizard’s class skills are Arcana (Int), Discipline (Cha), Craft (Int), Knowledge (Int), Profession (Wis). A wizard begins play by choosing 3 Skill Training feats from the wizard’s list of class skills.
Class FeaturesProficiency: A wizard begins play by either the Weapon Group (Basic) or Weapon Group (Crossbow) from the Weapon Group feat tree. They do not gain any feats from the Armour Group or Shield Group feat trees.
Spells: A wizard begins play with a spell book containing a number of spells equal to his Intelligence modifier x2. The spell book contains his list of spells known and can be added to by the wizard scribing spells that he encounters (either in other spell books or scrolls) into his spell book.
A wizard must prepare spells before hand in order to cast them. This requires at least 1 hours study during a rest period (lasting 7 hours or more) before the spells are ready to cast. A wizard may only prepare as many spells of the appropriate spell level according to his caster level (refer to table 1 in the Classes Section).
Class Options: At every level the wizard gains 2 class options. The wizard may select his class options from the list below. Some options where indicated may be selected multiple times others may be selected only once.
- Caster Level (Sp): This class option may be selected more than once. The wizard gains a +1 Class bonus to caster level. This increases the number of Spells Per Day a wizard may cast. The wizard only gains access to the Wizard class spell list with this class option. The wizard gains access to higher level spells according to his caster level and the maximum level of spell slots he has available. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it is selected the wizard increases the Class bonus to caster level by +1.
- Elemental Metamagic: This class option may be selected more than once. The wizard selects a particular type of energy damage (Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, Sonic). Whenever the wizard casts a spell with the Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, or Sonic descriptors he may change the spell so that it deals the chosen elemental damage types as well (the spell gains the additional elemental descriptor). Using this metamagic option increases the level of Spell Slot used to prepare the spell by +1 for every additional elemental type added. This class option may be selected a maximum of 3 times, each time a new energy damage type is chosen and may be added to spells as above (multiple energy types may be added in this way).
- Empowering Metamagic: This class option may be selected more than once. The wizard receives a +1 Class bonus to all numeric parameters of a spell except Attack (Range, Duration, Area, Effect, Damage). Using this class option increases the level of Spell Slot used to prepare the spell by up to +1 for every +1 of Class bonus added. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the Class bonus increase to numeric parameters increases by +1.
- Enlarge Metamagic: This class option may be selected more than once. The wizard increases the Range parameter of a spell by one step (Touch, to Close, to Medium, to Long). Using this class option increases the level of Spell Slot used to prepare the spell by up to +1 for every step the Range parameter of a spell is increased by. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the Range parameter may be increased by an additional step.
- Extra Slot: This class option may be selected more than once. The sorcerer gains a +1 Class bonus to Spells per Day. Like normal bonus Spells Per Day from his SPAM, the sorcerer must choose which spell level slot to apply it to (it does not apply to them all) and he cannot apply it to a spell level that he does not have access to. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it increases the Class bonus to Spells Per Day by +1.
- Familiar: This class option may be selected only once. The wizard gains the service of an familiar that increases in ability as he does (see Companions section).
- Quicken Metamagic: This class option may be selected more than once. The wizard may reduce the casting time parameter of a spell by one step (Full Round Action, to Standard Action, to Move Action, to Swift Action, to Immediate Action). Using this class option increases the level of Spell Slot used to prepare the spell by up to +1 for every step the Casting Time parameter of a spell is reduced by. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the Casting Time parameter may be reduced by an additional step.
- School Focus: This class option may be selected more than once. The wizard selects a school of magic (abjuration, evocation, etc). The wizard gains a +1 Class bonus to Spell Attack checks and damage rolls made when using spells from the selected school of magic. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the wizard may select the same school of magic or a different school of magic and increases the Class bonus to Spell Attack checks and damage rolls for that school by +1.
- Skilled Metamagic: This class option may be selected more than once. The wizard selects one spell component (Verbal, Somatic, Material). Using this class option increases the level of Spell Slot used to prepare the spell by +1 for every component removed from the spell. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time a new spell component may be chosen. (Note that material components with listed gp values may not be removed in this fashion).
- Specialisation: This class option may be selected only once. The wizard selects a particular school of magic to be specialised in and two further schools of magic to be opposition schools. The wizard gains a bonus Spell Slot Per Day for each Spell Level he has access to. The wizard must use these bonus Spell Slots to prepare spells from his specialised school. If the wizard prepares spells from his prohibited schools then he must use two Spell Slots of the level of the spell to prepare that spell (instead of just one). In addition, a wizard suffers a -4 Class penalty on any Skill checks relating to his prohibited schools

Advanced Options: At level 10, every time a wizard is allowed to select a class option he may choose from the advanced class options list below instead of the class options list above.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2014 :  20:33:28  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Updated the various documents with latest changes

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2014 :  10:30:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some basic stuff for the rogue class

I'm intending to add more stuff to the skills to make the rogue unique in that area. Bards get some specialist skill improvements relating to knowledge but rogues are adept in many skills and i intend for skills to have a lot more uses in the game and in combat (i'm trying to have tumbling make a comeback and be as useful as it was in 2e).

Rogue
The rogue is a master of stealth, deception, and thievery. With a variety of skills to draw upon the rogue is accomplished in most rolls and excels at taking down unwary foes with a single blow
A skill based class, the Rogue benefits from having a high score in any attribute. When it comes to combat effectiveness Dexterity is the most important ability score.
Hit Points: 1d8 or 5 per level.
Class Skills
The rogue’s class skills are Acrobatics (Dex), Appraise (Int), Arcana (Int), Athletics (Str), Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Insight (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Int), Perception (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Stealth (Dex), Streetwise (Cha), Thievery (Dex), Tinker (Int). A rogue begins play by choosing 6 Skill Training feats from the rogue’s list of class skills.
Class Features
Proficiency: A rogue begins play with the Weapon Group (Basic) feat and any 2 other feats from the Weapon Group feat tree, any 1 feats from the Armour Group feat tree, and no feats from the Shield Group feat tree.
Class Options: At every level a rogue gains 2 class options. The rogue may select his class options from the list below. Some options where indicated may be selected multiple times others may be selected only once.
- Acrobatic: This class option may be selected more than once. The rogue gains a +2 Class bonus to Acrobatics skill checks. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the Class bonus to Acrobatics skill checks increases by +2.
- Dual Wielding: This class option may be selected more than once. The rogue gains a +1 Class bonus to Attack checks and Damage rolls when wielding a weapon in each hand (not including shields). This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the Class bonus to Attack checks and Damage rolls increases by +1.
- Evasion (Ex): This class option may be selected only once. The rogue can reduce damage from area effect attacks. Any time an attack fails that has a target of Area, is made against the rogue’s Reflex check, and deals Half damage on a failed attack; the rogue suffers no damage instead of half damage on a failed attack (any other effects incurred by the attack apply as normal, only the damage is reduced).
- Flanker: This class option may be selected more than once. The rogue gains a +1 Class bonus to Attack checks and Damage rolls on any creature against which the rogue has the Flanking relative condition. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the Class bonus to Attack checks and Damage rolls increases by +1.
- Movement Bonus: This class option may be selected more than once. The rogue gains a +1 Class bonus to his Movement Category (Land) Speed). This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the Class bonus to his Movement Category (Land) Speed increases by +1.
- Nimble: This class option may be selected more than once. The rogue gains a +1 Class bonus to AC checks when wearing Light Armour or no Armour. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the Class bonus to AC increases by +1.
- Poisoner: This class option may be selected only once. The rogue is no longer susceptible to poisoning himself when rolling a critical failure (natural 1) on his Attack checks.
- Sneak Attack (Ex): This class option may be selected more than once. The rogues gains the ability to sneak attack any opponent which has the Flat Footed condition or any opponent against which the rogue has the Flanking condition. The rogue must be within 6 squares (30 ft) of the target, be able to see the target, and pick out vital weak points (therefore targets with the Concealment condition are unaffected). The rogue may use the Sneak Attack ability a number of times per day equal to his Dexterity modifier +3. Whenever he performs a Melee Attack, Ranged Attack, or Spell Attack action as a Standard Action against a target and his AC check (so area effect spells and spells that target Fort, Ref, or Will saves are not allowed), the bard may add +1d6 damage from the Sneak Attack if the attack is successful. The damage type of the extra damage is the same as the normal damage for the attack. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the rogue increases the Sneak Attack damage dealt by +1d6 and the number of uses per day by +1.
- Stealthy: This class option may be selected more than once. The rogue gains a +2 Class bonus to Stealth skill checks. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the Class bonus to Stealth skill checks increases by +2.
- Trapsmith: This class option may be selected more than once. The rogue gains a +1 Class bonus to Perception, and Tinker skill checks. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time the Class bonus to Perception and Tinker skill checks increases by +1.
- Uncanny Dodge (Ex): This class option may be selected more than once. The rogue cannot be flanked except by creatures of equal level (equal number of HD) or higher than himself. Characters of a lower level than this threshold do not gain the Flanking condition when flanking the rogue. This class option may be selected multiple times, each time it is selected the minimum level required to flank the rogue increases by +1.

Advanced Options: At level 10, every time a rogue is allowed to select a class option he may choose from the advanced class options list below instead of the class options list above.
- Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): This class option may be selected only once. The rogue is able to perform Stealth skill checks even when there are people watching him or he does not have the Cover or Concealment conditions.
- Improved Evasion (Ex): This class option may be selected only once. The rogue can reduce damage from area effect attacks. Any time an attack fails that has a target of Area, is made against the monk’s Reflex check, and deals Half damage on a failed attack; the rogue suffers half damage from a successful attack and no damage instead of half damage on a failed attack (any other effects incurred by the attack apply as normal, only the damage is reduced).
- Slippery Mind (Ex): This class option may be selected only once. The rogue gains, as an Immediate Action, an instant Saving Throw action against any enchantment effect that he has just failed to resist (i.e. the attack succeeded). This action must be used immediately after the failed check and cannot be saved for later.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2014 :  19:07:13  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well given that everyone rather likes the full attack action being only a standard action I was toying with the idea of allowing a class option for monks and fighters that allow them to perform multiple melee attacks as a standard action. Rangers would be allowed multiple ranged attacks as a standard action.

Rogues I'm thinking of allowing them to increase the number of squares they can move with their sidestep (5 ft step) action so they can sneak behind someone, stab the living daylights out of them and then run like mad without the chance of being attacked.

Flurry of blows sounds like a good name for the melee class option and rapid shot sounds like a good name for the ranged class option.

The abilities not being available to everyone means that the fighter is much more attractive as a pure melee damage class. The ranger has a particular edge over the fighter when engaging in ranged combat (and it would help with the skirmish ability he has). And the other combat classes like the rogue and paladin can focus on their roles such as hit and run for the rogue and defending for the paladin without being as good as the fighter but still being quite impressive.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2014 :  19:14:48  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Updated the documents to include lots more class options and a brief draft for all the classes now.

Added a document for Weapons.

Added a brief example of a monster - the orc.

Should be almost everything someone might need to run a small encounter (with orcs).

Going to work on armour next.

If anyone is interested I'm looking for people to playtest the rules and let me know what they think (or theorist's opinions for those that haven't a group to play with).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2014 :  19:19:46  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added an Armour document (although its very very similar to 3.5 armour).

Partway through doing armour I realised to my initial horror that I had completely invalidated the use of armour and shields since I converted all bonuses to Attribute, Class, Item, Magic, Race, Feat, Template and Circumstance, and no bonuses stack (although they can be increased).

Therefore characters wearing a shield and armour receive no benefit from using both.

Then I realised it might not be a bad thing. Since there is no BAB and your attack bonus is dependant upon your Strength (or Dex) bonus plus any Item bonus from your weapon and other bonuses, it balances out perfectly now that your AC is dependant only on your Dex bonus plus any Item bonus from armour or shield (not both).

Furthermore the two items (shield and armour) can now be used for two different things and since a character is no longer required to wear armour to be effective you could have a fighter wearing no armour and carrying a heavy shield and he would be just as good as a fighter wearing breast plate armour. And if anyone has seen those Celtic cartoons where the main character has only a sword and shield they are now a possibility.

Then with the abilities that use only the shield (like the paladin's Block) it makes the shield a viable alternative and still a worthwhile accompaniment for characters that wish to use both, but if you wanted to be a two handed axe wielding fighter you would be no worse off than a sword and shield wielding barbarian.

So I think I accidentally made my life easier as a DM and allowed for more customisation of PCs.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2014 :  19:26:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also added a slew of class options for various classes

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2014 :  15:32:29  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Full Attack Actions is the next problem.

Currently I have allowed it so that you can perform the same standard action multiple times. Each attempt incurs a cumulative -2 penalty to all your checks that round.

quote:
Multiple Actions: Any action that can be accomplished as a standard action can also be attempted repeatedly multiple times as part of a full round action. The number of attempts for that action must be specified before any dice are rolled.
Every attempt after the first incurs a -2 cumulative Circumstance penalty on all action checks for the rest of the round.
So for example a fighter wishing to make 3 attacks as part of a full round action incurs a -4 penalty on all 3 attack checks (-2 for the 2nd attack and a further -2 for the 3rd attack).
Multiple actions may be performed for Skill, Attack, and Save checks, etc. The only limitations are that the action must normally be a Standard Action, and it must be the same action.
So for example as a wizard you can cast magic missile 3 times (incurring a -4 penalty on all three attack rolls), but you could not then attack with your staff. Similarly you could not cast a fireball, magic missile, and mage armour spell because this is not the same action either, they must be the same spell.
You may target anyone within range of the actions in question when you take multiple actions as a Full Round Action.
Opportunity Attacks: Multiple actions provoke Opportunity Attacks as appropriate to the action you are replicating. So casting a spell multiple times provokes an Opportunity Attack each time you cast the spell.

So as a fighter you could attack 3 times, each with a -6 penalty to attack, and should you get an Opportunity Attacks they will also incur a -6 penalty. As a ranger you could fire a bow 3 times and incur the same penalty as the fighter does.

The only problem is they have to be the same action down to the last detail so even the target must be the same (I could allow a class option to allow multiple different targets).

However, I quite like the magus idea where a spellcaster can wield multiple wands and cast multiple spells. And unfortunately dual wield doesn't work well with the above unless I allow the choice of a different target for each weapon being used, thereby allowing a fighter to pick two targets and a spellcaster to pick two targets (maybe as a class option).

Anyone have any thoughts on the above or any suggestions as to a possible solution. I have no problem allowing multiple spells to be cast in the same action because spells are less damaging for this rule system, and they are a more limited resource so splurging them all on a single attack is going to limit the casters options later.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2014 :  14:06:26  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Multiple Actions: Any action that can be accomplished as a standard action can also be attempted repeatedly multiple times as part of a full round action. The number of attempts for that action must be specified before any dice are rolled.
Every attempt after the first incurs a -2 cumulative Circumstance penalty on all action checks for the rest of the round.
So for example a fighter wishing to make 3 attacks as part of a full round action incurs a -4 penalty on all 3 attack checks (-2 for the 2nd attack and a further -2 for the 3rd attack).

Great, it's self-contradictory.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2014 :  20:15:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I'm doubting that I contradicted myself, I often make random screw ups while writing. However, when I read it back I only hear in my head how I intended it to sound, which obviously is not how it reads to others.

So can you pretty please help me and point out in plain English (as typical for English people I understand nothing of the technical structure of the language) which bit is contradictory.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2014 :  01:13:26  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I selected it in bold font, but yeah, it depends on zoom...
"for the rest of the round" reads as "after [this point]". It woul be unambiguous if it was "for the entire round".

But as to the mechanics as such...
I'd prefer allocated points rather than fixed adjustments. Both because it's more flexible and because it avoids shallow simplicity.
I mean, simple rules are good - for simple cases. But eventually more complex cases appear (here, some actions may obviously interfere with each other much less or much more). Which is the sort of thing that causes desire for less clunky rules - and simple rules without parameters leave no way for that other than specific exceptions. But the first specific exception creates a precedent, then patches multiply, and eventually the whole thing turns into cluster-fluffle of colliding exceptions.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2014 :  08:13:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotcha, the entire round it is.

Again you've lost me on the technical stuff. Allocated points?

So far i cannot think of any specific circumstances that might break the rules. I'm mulling over the wording of multile actions to decide whether i want to include spellcasting in it or not. At the moment i cannot see a reason not to include it, if a wizard wants to splurge his most precious resources on a single encounter then thats up to him and i suppose depends upon the play style of the DM.

Multiple Aid Another actions are a waste because bonuses do not stack (5 +2 Circumstance bonuses still result in a +2 Circumstance bonus). I may expand the Multiple Actions to encompass all actions within a turn so that any additional actions other than a single Standard Action and a single Move Action incur a cumulative -2 penalty to all checks for the entire round.
That might make combat more fluid if you can take as many standard and move actions as you desire but incur an ever increasing penalty upon your checks for every additional action you take.

I have been deliberately trying to create the rules so that they do not require exceptions therefore the basic combat system encompasses a lot more actions that everyone can perform without the need for feats. The feats then allow characters to break those rules slightly. I wont be including a feat that allows characters to always use Opportunity Attacks against characters even if they have a feat that allows them to ignore Opportunity Attacks for specific actions. My own design philosophy is that you can only break the rules onces, therefore nothing can break the rule that you just created by breaking the rule (if that makes sense).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page