Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How well do you know your lore?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2014 :  09:43:36  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well they could stop releasing information only in novels (which is becoming increasingly prevalent of late).

If an event is important and included in a novel then it should be given page time in a sourcebook as well, or an internet article etc so that those of us who have no time, money, or inclination for novels will still know whats going on.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2014 :  12:37:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Well they could stop releasing information only in novels (which is becoming increasingly prevalent of late).

If an event is important and included in a novel then it should be given page time in a sourcebook as well, or an internet article etc so that those of us who have no time, money, or inclination for novels will still know whats going on.

Actually, until 4E, that was the practice.

But you're missing out on a lot of good stuff by dismissing novels.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2014 :  16:36:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Thinking some more about this topic, what do people thing are some of the difficulties or impediments to "knowing your lore".

Do you think that there is anything that WotC could do to fix any issues identified?

As someone who is fortunate to have just about every FR resource I forget that people haven't been reading Ed's Dragon magazine articles since the 80's.

-- George Krashos

I dream of interactive map on their site, and when you click on a realm (country/region) it takes you to a smaller regional map with some brief description of the place (a paragraph or three). Then you can click on things on that map, and they take you to further descriptions, following the same format. Then - if warranted - even more detailed maps for things like cities with more clickable links.

Thus, you would have a true interactive atlas - maps connected to (very brief) information on each locale, and then a list of 'other sources' one can pursue for more lore (and THAT is how you sell sourcebooks). You ever go to wikipedia looking for something, and windup spending hours there following links? LIKE THAT.

I haven't said it in awhile, so its over-due... "You want to catch a fish (fan), you have to bait your hook correctly". Nothing a fantasy/RPG fanboi loves more then pouring over interesting maps and reading about 'far-away places' and odd characters. You wet their appetites, they'll come a'running. Even Paizo has nothing like that.

RPG designers are 'the Sandmen' - they give people the tools to dream.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Nov 2014 13:50:38
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2014 :  19:03:33  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adding to Markus' idea: the interactive atlas ought to have a dial that lets you move forward or back in time so the features on the map change and the information does as well.

For George's question: the biggest impediment for me is having a reason (as a DM or player) to be interested in the lore being presented. I think for a lot of gamers the minutia is irrelevant to their games (which is perfectly fine). So if usefull-to-these-kinds-of-gamers information is buried behind other lore then Realms products are perceived as not useful. They're encyclopedias that nobody wants to read.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2014 :  08:41:51  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For George's question: having to hunt for scraps of info on the net, with many 1e-2e-4e-5e stuff simply not available where I live. I'm lucky enough to own most of the 3e stuff.

Seconding the interactive list/map ideas.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2014 :  03:33:10  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waterdeep, Daggerford, Skullport & Undermountain Circa 10 Years within the Time of Troubles: 5
I degrade the further you get away from that area and time period.
But with access to my stuff on searchable PDF; Boxed sets, novels, ect I get a +3.
EDIT:
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Hmm, how to respond without sounding egotistical? 8-9.

-- George Krashos

Oh, nuts! We’re using the Krashos bellcurve?
Well then -3, so back to a 5.
*mutters to self*

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".

Edited by - Thrasymachus on 28 Nov 2014 03:36:20
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2014 :  18:45:31  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... I would say, that pre-spell plague around 6, post spellplague 0.
Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2014 :  13:12:59  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
5 on general faerun knowledge 7 on elven lore,7 on deity knowledge ,7on wizards of the realms,9 on drow lore.

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000