Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How well do you know your lore?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  02:51:17  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
On a scale of 1-10, 10 being very well-versed, and 1 being a novice, where would you rate your knowledge of Realms lore? I would say I am a 5-6. I am not a complete novice, but there is a lot I don't know. There are scribes on here who know far more than I.

Sweet water and light laughter

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  03:26:26  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends on the region.

If Cormyr, I'd say an 8. Waterdeep a 6 or 7. The North a 5 and everywhere else less than 5.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  03:34:43  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say I'm about a 5. I know a lot about SOME things, but there's a LOT of Realmslore I know little to nothing about.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  03:59:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, how to respond without sounding egotistical? 8-9.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  04:39:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Depends on the region.

If Cormyr, I'd say an 8. Waterdeep a 6 or 7. The North a 5 and everywhere else less than 5.

I agree with Jeremy, though with different numbers. He's far more up on Cormyr than most of us are; it is clear he has much love for that area, and I'd guess it's one of his fave corners of the Realms.

Me, I'm a Waterdeep junkie, and I have a love for the Sword Coast North, as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  04:56:53  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm...how to not be self deprecating and also not egotistical.

For Zhentil Keep and the area there about (Shadowdale and such) I'd give myself a 7 I guess...but only so far as actual published material.

The rest of the Forgotten Realms I wouldn't dare say it was over a 4 or 5 really.

I've always loved the Moonsea since I first read about Manshoon and the Zhentarim when the OGB came out...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  05:04:55  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It can vary with edition as well as region. I think I'm around -4 with 4e, and +4 with previous editions.

I don't memorize existing lore. Well, some of it sticks due to reading it over and over. I go for a comfort level... if I can feel good about beginning a multiple-adventure campaign in a particular place, then I feel confident about that place. I won't always have the right answers to questions about canon (I'm indexing it to help myself with that) but I want to get to where I can close my eyes and stab a finger at the map, and then pull a switcheroo on the players... fade out the real world, and fade in the Realms.

I just try to focus on making it so that when the adventure is over, the players will miss the Realms. Memorizing the details just stresses me out.
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  09:06:37  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm.

It depends on the subject matter for me as well.

If it's Waterdeep/Skullport/Undermountain: 6 or 7.
If it's Cormanthor/Myth Drannor: 8.
If it's Menzoberanzan/General Drowstuff: 7.
If it's stuff that was contained in Neverwinter Nights 1: 7

Those are the areas I've found myself most interested in, those are the areas I've got the most experience with, and those are the areas I read up on most.

On any other subject in the realms: 1-4.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)

Edited by - Sylrae on 17 Nov 2014 09:08:36
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  09:25:01  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends on the subject/area for me:

Sword Coast, Western Heartlands, The North: 7
the Dalelands, Myth Drannor, Sembia, Cormyr: 4-5
Elven regions/lore: 7-8
Kara-Tur (1e-2e Oriental Adventures setting): 5-6
Zakara (Al-Qadim setting): 4-5
Maztica: 4
Everywhere else I haven't mentioned above: 3-6 depending on the area/subject

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  09:31:28  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... I don't do Dragon Magazines, have read the gray box Forgotten Realms, a couple Elminsters Ecologies, a pair of Volo's Guides, half the 3/3.5e FRCS books, 21 of the Cormanthor/Crown Kingdom Guide Books, and 2nd Ed Under Illefarn. I think that puts me at a solid 4.

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  14:20:06  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm very well-rounded in terms of areas and I have access to a lot of resources but there's still a tonne of novels I've not read. I think I know more about Loudwater and Melvaunt than most though and I'm more willing to talk about lore from editions after 3rd than a lot of people here.

I'd give myself a 7 because of the lack of novel knowledge.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  15:20:26  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe I am kind of the opposite. I have mainly read the novels, so that is where most of my knowledge comes from, though I do have some source books. I haven't read all the way through them, but they are ver good for lore (like Demihuman Deities, Grand History of the Realms, Lost Empires of Faerun, campaign setting guides, and of course Elminster's Forgotten Realms). But like I said, I haven't read all the way through them. My main interest are gods and elves, but there are gaps there as well, which is why I would say I am a 5.

Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  15:25:52  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think around 4-5, as I didn't read a large number of novels(which I will try to remed), but read quite a bit of sourcebook, and stuff on internet, especialy the Candlekeep Forum . But I still have a lot to learn. I even missed once a answer on a question I wrote about to George Krashos, which he aanwered allready aswered 2 years ago...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  15:28:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

LOL - I was going to say 9 for myself!

Since you know at least twice what I know, I guess I'm only a 4.5.

But we all have our 'specialties' - not even Ed knows everything.

And it also depends on what you would term 'The Realms' - are we including all of Realmspace? Just the planet?

Realmspace contains 7 official settings:
Forgotten Realms
Kara-Tur
Al-Qadim
Maztica
The Horde
Malatra (Living Jungle RPGA)
Realmspace.

I don't count RPGA Raven's Bluff because its included in the FR setting (so is 1/2 The Horde, but there's enough new material there for it to stand on its own).
I also don't count Planescape, even though it does have quite a bit of bearing on the setting(s).
And there have been cross-overs to Ravensloft, but I wouldn't count that either - that's too much of a stretch.

So, yeah... it all depends...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Nov 2014 15:30:24
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  15:31:38  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

I think around 4-5, as I didn't read a large number of novels(which I will try to remed), but read quite a bit of sourcebook, and stuff on internet, especialy the Candlekeep Forum . But I still have a lot to learn.

I'm about in the same situation, so I'd say 4-5 for myself as well.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  20:54:24  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like everyone else, it depends on the region and the lore. It also depends on how the scale is weighed.

1 - New to the Realms.

2 - Some Realms knowledge, but huge gaps remain--often gets things wrong by accident and is easily confused.

3 - Casual Fan. Decent knowledge, but not specialized.

4 - Hardcore fan. Decent knowledge, with some specialization.

5 - Lore Master. Strong grasp of the setting and its lore, with some specialization.

6 - Scholar, deep grasp of the setting and its lore, with specialization in multiple areas of the setting on par with the designers who made them.

7 - Owns most, if not all Realms material (source books, novels, etc.) and knows most of their material.

8 - Owns most, if not all Realms material (source books, novels, etc.), and knows it so well that they can even correct those who designed the areas when they screw up the lore.

9 - Steven Schend / Eric L. Boyd

10 - Ed Greenwood

Using the above scale, I would place myself at roughly a 5 or 6 in general, but when it comes to the deities I easily rank a 7--possibly an 8 when it comes to some deities.

I would say that pretty much everyone who frequently posts on Candlekeep is a 4 at a minimum, with most ranging between 5 and 8 depending on the subject.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  21:30:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I guess that makes me a 3 then. I don't do novels or 4th edition or 5th edition so that will just rule out more and more lore (if you can call the new stuff that).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  02:19:49  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well true, the new stuff isn't lore, it is current news :P Lore is older stuff.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  02:26:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends on how long its been since I've "restudied" the lore on an area. There's so much I've learned and forgotten, relearned, and then promptly reforgotten. General realms knowledge, I'd give myself a 6 or 7 right now. Unapproachable East, Bloodstone Lands, and wild theories on deities, I'd give myself an 8 or 9.... with the occasional 7 when I slip away from messing with it for a while.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  11:14:22  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Figure i would chime in here since this seems like a very interesting topic, especially since it allows the other scribes see what everyone else likes to focus on in their prefered parts of faerun. So i try to have as a complete collection of the forgotten realms as i can and would say i have probally about a good 80% of all the source books and novels, and even magazines with forgotten realms lore in them.( still working on finishing my collection). Though i would have to say most of my knowledge centers on the Elven lore and the areas that deal with that like the dalelands or the north. And using Aldrik's ranking if i may i would say my knowledge on elves is probably around a 7 or 8, even though i dont post as much as i should on that topic. I would say almost everything else is probally closer to a 4 or 5 with areas like chult or haluraa far less, actually the only real thing i can remember about those two are the source books has pretty pictures.
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  13:42:18  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting topic.

I've played in the Realms for 22 years. Have owned or read almost all the modules and box sets, and read all the novels-great and terrible.

Looking at Aldrick's scale, I would say I'm at a 6-7.

However, I would honestly question that (for myself).

Can I instantly recall numerous lords and families of Suzail? Beyond Azoun's Obarskyr line and Truesilvers and Crownsilvers or Cormaeril, that's it.

Do I intimately know all about each founding event of the Dales? Naw, not really.

Can I name more than 2-3 Zulkirs? (during the best time to play, that is :D)

Do I know 5 different Realms names for sellswords? If I struggled at it.

Do I know alot? A little speciality? Sure!

But errata? The purest, deepest parts of errata that Ed, and many others here, humble me with knowing or giving back to me? Like what particular ingredients are in Berdusk Red or something? I'm sure someone could tell ya, but I don't know!

So, I guess I'd like to say a 6-7. However, if I compare myself to Ed or George Krashos, I'd say a 2-3!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  17:12:49  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say 6 on that scale - as long as I have access to my notes, but every once in a while I have a proud moment where I get to remind Krash or another sage of something old and obscure that I once obsessed over... though its more common for GK or Wooly to point out something I've missed, or remind me that my interpretation of events is not the only one possible. If left to my own devices and my terrible memory for names it would be 4-5 with incorrect spelling :)

As far as regions of interest, unlike most others, I tend to avoid the big publishing areas of Waterdeep and Cormyr - while I've read it all at least a couple times I never focus there for campaigns and so they are akin to the Far East in the real world - I have knowledge and some understanding but have never been there...

For me, lore is most easily divided not by geographical region, but instead by order of publication. I was a hardcore Realms fan as it pushed from 1st to 2nd Ed; in high school I could have much more easily quoted from Volo than anything teachers would have preferred I read. I kept up to a lesser degree as 3rd Ed expanded on that information and built a wider history for the realms... I have little or no 4th E knowledge outside of the novels of the period I've read - maybe a 2 on that list if I'm generous.

My biggest problem with lore is keeping straight what comes from a published source, what comes straight from Ed (like his responses here), what comes from other fans here and elsewhere online, and what came from my old campaigns. The next biggest is keeping straight the order of publication... often in my mind, I go back to a 1st E source rather than 3rd which altered or amended that lore.

Edited by - The Masked Mage on 18 Nov 2014 17:29:21
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  17:20:28  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say a 9 on stuff immediately, directly related to RAS's tales.

Outside that, though, I'd say a 3.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  17:22:01  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone :) going by Aldrick's scale, I would classify myself as a 4. I am a big FR fan, my specialization being elves/drow amd deities, but as I mentioned, there are gaps there, too. I try to keep up to date on what is going on I. The Realms, which is why I stuck with 4e even though I didn't like it. I haven't read all the novels, but I have read a good majority.

It's great to hear everyone's responses! I am curious to see how other scribes rate themselves, as I know there are some on herr who have a deep grasp of the lore, far more than I.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  17:42:47  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

LOL - I was going to say 9 for myself!

Since you know at least twice what I know, I guess I'm only a 4.5.

But we all have our 'specialties' - not even Ed knows everything.

And it also depends on what you would term 'The Realms' - are we including all of Realmspace? Just the planet?

Realmspace contains 7 official settings:
Forgotten Realms
Kara-Tur
Al-Qadim
Maztica
The Horde
Malatra (Living Jungle RPGA)
Realmspace.

I don't count RPGA Raven's Bluff because its included in the FR setting (so is 1/2 The Horde, but there's enough new material there for it to stand on its own).
I also don't count Planescape, even though it does have quite a bit of bearing on the setting(s).
And there have been cross-overs to Ravensloft, but I wouldn't count that either - that's too much of a stretch.

So, yeah... it all depends...

I'd definitely agree with this. While most people only focus on the FR direct material, there is a lot more. Plus, based largely on Ed's 'Wizards Three' articles I always put the whole D&D multiverse together in the 2nd Ed. fashion.

I loved Al-Qadim/Spelljammer/Planescape/Ravenloft... didn't much care for the Horde or Maztica, and only ever played 1 campaign in Kara-Tur.
In all cases however, the campaigns were Realms based and then expanded to include the planes or far regions of Toril/Realmspace.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  18:02:39  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Overall I'd give myself a solid 5; I own alot of material (most 3.5 and a plethora of novels set in the era) and know most of its contents by heart.

I have played in the realms since 1992, but became more obsessed with realms lore when I connected to the internet during my studies and found forums such as these. Candlekeep and the FR forums on WotC's site are/were true fountains of realmslore, with dozens of scribes working on worldbuilding or dissemination of novels, a thing thas been the provided me oodles of work material for campaigns I ran in the Realms.

I tend to favor planar lore, especially when thinking of a larger interconnected multiverse. I also like the 3.5 mechanics of some systems introduced by the realms, be they feats, prc's, diety stats, spells or magic items. FR's particular otherworldy flavor of elven lore I like the best; I have a fondness for the realms religions both ancient and current, and I adore Zakhara.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2014 :  01:12:29  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Certainly I'd say I wouldn't exceed a 3, going by Aldrick's scale (which I think presents a good gradation of familiarity tiers applicable to any setting). I'm very much a casual fan nowadays, but would love the opportunity and the time to dive in like I used to.

A few years ago, I would say probably a 4, but I haven't been following the setting material or novels with the same devotion and with that comes a growing unfamiliarity even with topics of interest to me before.

Go to Top of Page

Delandil Aenar
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2014 :  09:31:29  Show Profile Send Delandil Aenar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I'm about 6 as regards the Silver Marches, which drops to 5 for nearby Northerern regions. I reach 6 again when we talk about the Moonshae Isles and the Damara (in which my new campaigns are set), but the rest of Faerun I'm around 3-4 depending on the region.

Neither a warrior nor a cleric could heal the wounds made by love
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2014 :  17:21:01  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say 4-5 (I have bought or read a lot of Realmslore), the higher note applying to elves/drow/Underdark/Cormyr and the lower to everything else.

Lower to 2 for everything I don't care about (far East)

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2014 :  22:40:41  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, going off of Aldrick's scale, I'd say I'm probably a 4, or a 1 in regards to some of the other official FR settings (Al-Qadim, Malatra, and Maztica, to be specific) . I'm not really specialized in any significant way, as I find pretty much everything about the Forgotten Realms fascinating, and try to gather as much information on various countries/cultures/deities/races/important characters/NPC's as possible. Most of what I know comes from either sourcebooks or poking around Candlekeep's archives. I haven't read many of the novels (20-25, at most), but I'm hoping to change that soon.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2014 :  09:33:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thinking some more about this topic, what do people thing are some of the difficulties or impediments to "knowing your lore".

Do you think that there is anything that WotC could do to fix any issues identified?

As someone who is fortunate to have just about every FR resource I forget that people haven't been reading Ed's Dragon magazine articles since the 80's.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 26 Nov 2014 09:34:21
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000