Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Quivering Forest
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2014 :  13:28:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You could have them become one of those gawd-awful 'wooden druids' from the Complete Book of druids (IIRC).

The barkskin wasn't so bad, but that third arm really jumped the shark.

EDIT: On the other hand, combining them with your idea of volodni might work - it would almost be like a 'larval stage'.

EDIT2 Just re-read that entry in that book - I probably haven't read it since my 1st time through it (the lack of illustration probably). Those things don't make a lot of sense, but they are interesting. A bit OP'd, but they can be fixed. Not sure how most treants or elves would feel about them - it seems pretty evil to turn a creature against their will. On the other hand, I could see Sylvan (Wood) Elves creating 'burr gunnes' to shoot these things at people on-purpose.

Yeah, I was wondering if an infestation of direburrs relocated to the area could have actually caused the loss of the elven population (i.e. if some unseelie say came in with the direburrs, they may have turned the local elven population).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2014 :  18:13:25  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Direburrs are a nasty touch for sure.

I like your ideas...I may just have to respin my own Quivering Forest now.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2014 :  01:25:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah, I honestly had never heard of the quivering forest before this thread, and I'm still not quite sure where it is..... but I've got some good ideas for making it a dark place from what's been shared so far. I'm thinking exiled elven followers of Relkath of the Infinite Branches go to the area, bringing barkburrs with them. They create the forest from the bodies of wandering barbarian orc tribes via the barkburrs. Time passes and an insane follower of Relkath of the Infinite Branches makes an alliance with the Unseelie Court when his fellow elves cast him out (for what to be decided). Using some kind of dark fey ritual, he transforms some barkburrs into direburrs. The elves find themselves being transformed into trees and various types of dark fey plant beings, meanwhile the small folk of the Unseelie Court begin moving in (Glouras, spriggans, quicklings, buckawn, etc...). Over time, the wood becomes a holding for the dark fey. Humans move into the area, and they burn down the forest in order to fight the fey.... but the direburrs are used to regrow the forest. Eventually some crazed human druids uncover the ancient elven temple of Relkath, wherein reside direburrs, and they begin turning "unwanted" humanoid beings into plants.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2014 :  03:16:13  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All along the east shores of the Stojanow River running from just north of Phlan all the way to the Dragonspine Mountains...just above Sorcerers Isle the forest begins to reach across the river to the western side as well.

That is what I've seen on maps at its greatest extent. It is one of my favorite features of the Moonsea...second only to Zhentil Keep (pre-Time of Troubles).

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2014 :  23:21:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, gotcha. I had the rough idea in my head that it was near Thar. I see it now on a fan made map of the moonsea that I have. Its definitely touching Thar, which even more makes me think the forest may have been made from orc tribes. Hell, if the idea I had above that some of the beings that are turned into trees become fruit trees.... it could be that Thar actually gets some of its sustenance accidentally by having its people become trees.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2014 :  14:28:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Map

Bear in mind that map is 'sideways' - North is to the left (I TRULY hate that).

Oh, and I didn't post that, so I don't believe I am violating anything - I found it in about 5 seconds with a web search. It went with the Monument of Ancients stuff.

As for other maps of that area (Thar, Vassa/Damara, etc) I have worked-out a lot of the weirdness that occurred between editions. The 'twisting' that happened in 3e, and then the 'revisionist' version of 4e. I should have all of that when I get back to Krash's Impiltur stuff.

Brian and I had discussed (briefly) the Granite Tower being in the wrong place (it was placed in or near the swampy region of Vassa in a short story), and I have come up with a fix for that, that ties into the other lore from that story. When I get to GK's project, maybe he can include a little something in the timeline.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Nov 2014 14:34:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000