Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 shared world sci fi
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2014 :  17:13:34  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there any shared world sci fi like fr or dragonlance with a good chunk of books to dive into.I want to start getting into some stuff but like the shared world format.thanks in advance.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2014 :  17:26:46  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Star Wars is the only one that I read, and that I'm really familiar with. I too, would love to learn of other shared world sci fi settings.
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2014 :  21:56:21  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Warhammer 40k, there are a lot of novels, probably as much as there are FR ones. It's dark though, very very dark (and that's an understatement). It's a mix of sci-fi and fantasy in many ways,
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2014 :  07:55:51  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Star wars and Warhammer 40k are the most detailed. But is the case of SW a lot of has been declared non canon thanks to the upcoming movies.
WH 40k is great but is best described as grimdark. There are no happy endings here.
If you are looking for a smaller series I would suggest the military sci fi series Honor Harrington. Its a fairly long series, set in an interesting universe but it tends to focus mostly on the humans.
Go to Top of Page

zenmichael
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2014 :  15:42:26  Show Profile  Visit zenmichael's Homepage Send zenmichael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also I think there are like a dozen HALO books out by now. So that counts?
But my $$ is on 40K (probably my favorite thing to read right now).

Realms Remembered: A Chronological Read-Through (DR) of Forgotten Realms Fiction
http://www.youtube.com/rolereviewsal
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2014 :  10:13:15  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really enjoying your YouTube videos Michael.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2014 :  15:50:52  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Throwing in another vote for Star Wars. It has an ungodly number of books and they are spread across multiple parts of the timeline with somewhat different feels to them. Also, a few FR authors have also written SW books. Paul S. Kemp and Troy Denning have written a few. Jeff Grubb has written one too I believe.

As for other settings, there is Battletech/MechWarrior. It's set about a 1000 years in the future where humanity has expanded beyond Earth and the primary weapon of war is the Battle Mech, 30 foot tall war machines. It has some of the usual sci-fi trappings like FTL travel and laser based weaponry but there are no aliens (except the one book that everyone tries to pretend doesn't exist) and there are lots and lots of political machinations. There are a couple of different eras and they aren't afraid to kill off characters or whole factions.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2014 :  18:19:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

Throwing in another vote for Star Wars. It has an ungodly number of books and they are spread across multiple parts of the timeline with somewhat different feels to them. Also, a few FR authors have also written SW books. Paul S. Kemp and Troy Denning have written a few. Jeff Grubb has written one too I believe.

As for other settings, there is Battletech/MechWarrior. It's set about a 1000 years in the future where humanity has expanded beyond Earth and the primary weapon of war is the Battle Mech, 30 foot tall war machines. It has some of the usual sci-fi trappings like FTL travel and laser based weaponry but there are no aliens (except the one book that everyone tries to pretend doesn't exist) and there are lots and lots of political machinations. There are a couple of different eras and they aren't afraid to kill off characters or whole factions.

I actively followed the BattleTech universe, myself, up until the Jihad happened. I bailed after that -- not only do I have more problems with the Jihad than I did with the Spellplague, I didn't like the feel of the post-Jihad setting.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2014 :  19:05:18  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

I actively followed the BattleTech universe, myself, up until the Jihad happened. I bailed after that -- not only do I have more problems with the Jihad than I did with the Spellplague, I didn't like the feel of the post-Jihad setting.

That does appear to be an issue some long time fans of the setting have had. My interest didn't extend into the books until the Dark Age timeframe came about. My initial interest was from the cartoon or MechWarrior 2 (not sure which I came across first) and I played MechWarrior 3 and 4 so I had a fair idea of the history of the setting (in broad strokes anyway) and the Clans but my interest didn't really take off until the MechWarrior Clix game came out. So, for me, the Jihad was just another major conflict before the current (then just beginning) major conflict. My interest peaked again recently when I got the new boxed set so I have been working my way through some of the older material. I am given to understand that the Jihad era is a lot more fleshed out now but I have still mainly read about it's after math.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2014 :  00:54:17  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Iron Kingdoms line might be worth a gander. Richard Lee Byers recently had a book come out in that setting, and there's stuff out there from Ari Marmell, myself, and quite a few other authors you might recognize.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2014 :  04:52:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

The Iron Kingdoms line might be worth a gander. Richard Lee Byers recently had a book come out in that setting, and there's stuff out there from Ari Marmell, myself, and quite a few other authors you might recognize.

Cheers

While I will happy endorse the Iron Kingdoms stuff, I'll also throw out two caveats: It's fantasy and steampunk rolled into one, not sci-fi, and there is only one printed book, but many ebooks.

Go to Top of Page

zenmichael
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  22:16:18  Show Profile  Visit zenmichael's Homepage Send zenmichael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

Thanks! Getting ready to record issue #3 of the new batch this weekend (I am literally one book away from the 90-yr jump).

I can't believe none of us has thought to mention Star Trek yet. It never really felt "right" to me in book format, but ... they've been making them since at least the '70s, so there's a fair amt to dive into there.

I always wanted to try Mechwarrior, but holy hell, the intros alone felt like I was in a college lecture class. "Keep track of these 17 clans. OK, now, here's how the galaxy is subdivided."

Realms Remembered: A Chronological Read-Through (DR) of Forgotten Realms Fiction
http://www.youtube.com/rolereviewsal
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  22:37:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zenmichael

I can't believe none of us has thought to mention Star Trek yet. It never really felt "right" to me in book format, but ... they've been making them since at least the '70s, so there's a fair amt to dive into there.

I've never been enough of a Trekkie to read the books. I've not even seen all of the movies, and some of the individual TV series I've seen little or none of.

quote:

I always wanted to try Mechwarrior, but holy hell, the intros alone felt like I was in a college lecture class. "Keep track of these 17 clans. OK, now, here's how the galaxy is subdivided."

Depending on which books you start with, the focus can be a lot tighter. Some of the original books -- reprinted partway thru the later run of BattleTech novels -- are set before the Clan Invasion. The Warrior Trilogy, for example, is set during the run-up to and during the Fourth Succession War. Heir to the Dragon and Wolves on the Border also predate the Clan Invasion.

The Blood of Kerensky trilogy starts shortly before the Clan Invasion, and introduces it. Part of why I enjoy those books is because no one knew anything about those mysterious, powerful Mechs, or who was driving them. It's only as the trilogy develops that the origin of the Clans is discovered.

I started with the Jade Phoenix trilogy. Though there are passing references to other Clans, it is entirely focused on Clan Jade Falcon.

Most of the Clans weren't involved in the Invasion... In fact, when I first started reading the books, I didn't know about the gaming material, so I was keeping track of references to each Clan, trying to get a complete list. And then one of the first gamebooks I bought listed all 20 of them!

Even the books dealing with the Invasion generally don't focus on more than one Clan at a time, and there were only about 6 Clans in the original invasion force.

Now, I can't say much about the Mechwarrior stuff. I read a couple of Mechwarrior books before the Jihad, and one post-Jihad book. Even though the post-Jihad book was my favorite BattleTech author, I have such serious issues with the Jihad that I didn't read any more.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2377 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2014 :  01:30:51  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here we go.

Other than already mentioned, from abovelinked under "Literature", plus searching for "star" on isfdb, minus co-authors, minus "one writer, with one more building upon or sneaking in" and "uwe-balled game" cases... hmm... there are Wild Cards, Bolo and series from The Midnight Rose; of RPG+fiction there are Star*Drive, Star*Line and Star Frontiers.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2014 :  10:27:33  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by swifty

Thanks! Getting ready to record issue #3 of the new batch this weekend (I am literally one book away from the 90-yr jump).

I was never a huge star Trek fan but I have seen most of the movies and TV shows. however I just did not care much for the books.
I played the Mechwarrior video game when it first came out on the PC. Ahh that brings back memories.
But I had no idea that it was part of a larger universe.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2014 :  14:47:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I played the Mechwarrior video game when it first came out on the PC. Ahh that brings back memories.

It was an RPG game that spawned a fiction line and many computer/video games. There were something like 70 novels, before the Jihad happened and they blew up the BTech universe.

Sage and I sometimes take shots at each other's choice of factions. I liked Clans Wolf-in-Exile and Coyote, and House Davion. Sage proves his weirdness by favoring House Liao.

I played one of the MechWarrior computer games... I don't recall which one it was, but I got kinda bored with it, after discovering that if I used the terrain correctly, I could take down a Star of heavy and assault Mechs with just a Shadowcat. The game's AI was just plain weak -- a couple of times, a Daishi was standing near a hill, I'd just crest the hill with my Shadowcat, and the Daishi would just stand there as I rained Gauss rifle slugs into it.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2014 :  11:17:19  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

It was an RPG game that spawned a fiction line and many computer/video games. There were something like 70 novels, before the Jihad happened and they blew up the BTech universe.

Sage and I sometimes take shots at each other's choice of factions. I liked Clans Wolf-in-Exile and Coyote, and House Davion. Sage proves his weirdness by favoring House Liao.

I played one of the MechWarrior computer games... I don't recall which one it was, but I got kinda bored with it, after discovering that if I used the terrain correctly, I could take down a Star of heavy and assault Mechs with just a Shadowcat. The game's AI was just plain weak -- a couple of times, a Daishi was standing near a hill, I'd just crest the hill with my Shadowcat, and the Daishi would just stand there as I rained Gauss rifle slugs into it.

Yeah but I was just a kid back then so I was more than happy with the whole giant robots shooting at each other aspect of it to quibble about such details.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  13:59:30  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mild spoiler alert but if you start anywhere in the Post Jihad part of the timeline you won't have to worry about keeping track of that many Clans anymore. It's closer to half that now. There were some "issues" back in the Clan Home Worlds that got resolved the way these things tend to get resolved in Battletech, mass destruction.
quote:

I should've known Sage had his head on straight and knows the glory that is House Liao and it's revered Chancellor. Don't worry Wooly, the reeducation centers have centuries of experience in helping non believers see the light.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  15:23:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, if you start post-Jihad, there are less factions and less continuity to deal with, and starting there means you won't have the issues with the Jihad that I did, since I started around the time of the Clan Invasion.

And it would take a re-education center to make someone like House Liao. All the other factions are good enough that they don't have to brainwash you into liking them.

(Ironically, it actually is canon that Maximilian Liao took some random person and brainwashed him into thinking he was Hanse Davion. Max also had reconstructive surgery performed on the guy, to make him look like Hanse.)

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2014 :  02:19:31  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, if you start post-Jihad, there are less factions and less continuity to deal with, and starting there means you won't have the issues with the Jihad that I did, since I started around the time of the Clan Invasion.

And it would take a re-education center to make someone like House Liao. All the other factions are good enough that they don't have to brainwash you into liking them.

(Ironically, it actually is canon that Maximilian Liao took some random person and brainwashed him into thinking he was Hanse Davion. Max also had reconstructive surgery performed on the guy, to make him look like Hanse.)

Yeah they released an Alternate Universe type product for free a little less than a month ago that incorporated that idea about Hanse. The main characters experience a misjump and wind up in an alternate reality. In that reality Kerensky was assassinated just before proposing the Exodus so DeChevilier (sp?) takes over and doesn't leave but instead forms the Terran Supremacy in the ruins of the Terran Hegemony. The Succession Wars aren't anywhere near as destructive and there are no Clans, no Comstar, and no Jihad. Fake Hanse is able to pass for real Hanse and House Liao and House Davion merge into the Confederated Suns.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2014 :  04:31:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting... What is that product called?

The thing with the fake Hanse Davion was canon for the main universe, though, before the alt universe. Oddly, though the events of that book were referenced in some later novels, the book itself was left off of lists of novels. I think it was quietly buried because it had something the BattleTech universe avoided: intelligent, non-human beings.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2014 :  06:13:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's a nifty little work entitled:- BattleTech: Adventures: Empires Aflame.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2014 :  06:33:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Thankee. Was there a print version, as well, or just the pdf?

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2014 :  13:12:59  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Thankee. Was there a print version, as well, or just the pdf?

I believe it is just the pdf since it's free.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000