Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Missing Border Kingdoms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2014 :  10:03:16  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've checked the Polyhedron: ELminster's Everwinking Eye articles (that stop at Owlhold with issue 148, before the merge with Dungeon), the sourcebook Power of Faerun and the little snapshots downloadable from the Wizards site (that stop at Irl).
This leaves a lot of Border Kingdoms (be it kingdoms or independent cities), to my knowledge, undetailed except for a scattered handful or references (really few) contained in various other Border places writeups.
So, is there anywhere i can look to find info on these places?
- Realm of the Smoking Star;
- Rymdyl;
- Selpt;
- Shandolphyn's Reach (but for this i can work with what's in the novel Bloodwalk);
- The Shieldmaidens;
- Sorndorn;
- Splondar;
- Sprynt;
- Suldamma;
- The Sward;
- Taermbold;
- Talduth Vale;
- Telcharn;
- Themasulter;
- Theymarsh;
- Thort;
- Thuntar;
- Thur;
- Urspreth;
- Waernd;
- Yallash;
- Ythtym;

As you see, the list is huge and i don't want to fire it wholesale at Ed, so i need everyone's help to find the bits i have overlooked.

Thanks!

Edited by - Demzer on 01 Nov 2014 10:04:56

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2014 :  10:25:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Border Kingdoms has long been one of my "play" areas. It's also one of my favourite regions of the published Realms. So, naturally, I've researched and compiled most of the extant published lore on these locales.

That being said, and after searching my archives... aside from a few brief and stray off-hand references to these places in existing BK entries and lore focusing on this vast section of the Realms, there isn't much more available, officially. I suspect, and Ed has largely confirmed this in my discussions with him in the past, that the rest of the articles/lore on these cities and places, still remain largely unpublished and either in Ed's voluminous archives, or his HD.

It might be worth checking in with him anyway, just to be sure.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2014 :  12:52:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ugh... another map I never finished.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2014 :  21:24:07  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Border Kingdoms to me is the sandbox that originally they intended Sembia to be.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2014 :  04:10:49  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always wondered how it is so many of these realms fit inside the Border Kingdoms region. Or are they just really small areas?
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2014 :  07:27:21  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, very small. Many are just one settlement and a day's ride around it... but that ride might be hotly contested by bandits, monsters, and/or neighboring settlements.

And it might bear mentioning that there are actually dozens or hundreds more realms in this area, due to their short lifespan. When the lord dies, the war of succession (or whatever killed the lord) might easily kill his heir, and whether that happens or not the next ruler might change the name and bearing of the realm. So even the cities that have stood for generations might have multiple names and surely have had chequered histories and reputations.
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2016 :  22:21:55  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

The Border Kingdoms to me is the sandbox that originally they intended Sembia to be.

You hit that right on the head.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2016 :  22:26:51  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

I've always wondered how it is so many of these realms fit inside the Border Kingdoms region. Or are they just really small areas?

Yes sir, lots of city states if I remember right. Unless something changed in the edition changes.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2016 :  02:58:54  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still one of my favorite places to monkey around with.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000