Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Fall of Eaerlann and Ammarindar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2014 :  12:19:36  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Dear sages,

The books suggest that the High Forest elven kingdom of Eaerlann and the mighty dwarven kingdom of Ammarindar both fell in the Year of the Curse, 882 DR. Apparently, in this year Ascal's Horn (later known as Ascalhorn/ Hellgate Keep) was taken over by demons, and the realms' cities were abandoned, like the Eaerlanni cities of Elven Port (Aerendal?) and the capital Teuveamanthaar.

My question is: it all happened within the same year? I know Ascal's Horn was being corrupted through many years, including the summoning of devils, spellcasters accepting undeath, and so on, but I think that after the big invasion the powerful kingdoms would be able to resist for a few years, no? Even if demons were loose and with their full gate abilities.

I say that because the Harpers installed wards that prevent greater demons from leaving the city and from using their gate powers only four years later - and it must have been a master's move, to attract all the major demons to the city and put the wards to work (worth a very nice novel - *hint*).

Then, I think there should be some resistance within the cities at least until this containment was placed, don't you agree? Specially in Teuveamanthaar, I think, since the druids kept part of the city protected afterwards; IMHO, the city was probably taken gradually, in a few years, right? What do you think, or who should I ask to know more details about this story?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2014 :  12:54:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'My opinion'

I think it was taken over gradually by Devils, who are slow and methodical planners (usually), and it would have happened over time, without people noticing (being very smart, they knew if they were found-out early they could be easily stopped by the magically-powerful humans and Elves). This was started by Wulgreth (see Savage Frontier), and as the first devils (secretly) brought-in more devils, more and more spellcasters and parts of the city would have fallen under their influence.

Unfortunately, they WERE found out (once again, see Savage Frontier) and Demons were summoned to stop the Devils - an incredibly stupid maneuver. The devils were indeed stopped, and replaced by something far worse. This is when it all came to a head, in 882 DR.

So, we had two things going on - most of the city's protective magics were either already thwarted by the devils, or were then purposely circumvented by the panicking wizards who summoned demons. Thus, the city's decline was indeed gradual, but not in the way modern scholars think, most of whom are unaware of the devil's early involvement. This has actually caused much consternation and bickering in intellectual circles, because sages know demons aren't long-term planners, and the city seems to have been taken far too quickly and easily (the exact problem you bring up).

People who know the true history of what happened there - personages such as Elminster, Khelben, and the elves - do not really discuss such matters, especially with self-proclaimed 'scholars' who have "lived less years then a halfling takes for breakfast" (as Elminster puts it), "and have gleaned all their knowledge from tomes written by other human scholars who also weren't there, and are only guessing as to what happened."

The stuff I said about the demons and devils is all canon - I just spun it all in such a way to make seem more logical (in regards to your question). So yes, not 100% canon, but firmly rooted in it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Oct 2014 12:57:27
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2014 :  13:00:43  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect the answer is a lot more complicated than a single book can convey.

The dwarves and elves had both suffered millennia of battles with orc hordes that gradually wore them down.

Both the fey'ri and Wulgreth were involved in Ascalhorn's fall.

Wulgreth i assume induced the humans to summon baatezu. The fey'ri then in 880 DR (detailed in cloak and dagger) began inducing the remaining wizards to summon tanar'ri to challenge the baatezu infestation of Ascalhorn.

Certainly the demonic infestation began a few years prior to 882 DR because of that. I would surmise that the fey'ri summoned more than a few demons themselves in the surrounding areas given their parentage and hatred for the elves and humans.

Eaerlann and Delzoun were probably a mere shadow of their former selves by 882 DR and unable to resist the sudden explosion in demons and i'm pretty sure the orcs got involved in the downfall of those kingdoms as well.

I'll have a more thorough check of my sources but thats just off the top of my head.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2014 :  14:19:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks like the elves of Eaerlann were already taking part in The Retreat before 882 DR so they were very much depleted before the demons erupted from Ascalhorn.

Wulgreth began summoning devils in 820 DR and bested 6 of his rivals before the remainder began summoning demons in 880 DR (under influence from the fey'ri). It appears the demon summoning plan worked all to well. Probably because the fey'ri taught the naive humans how to call Grintharke (a balor) who then wiped the floor with the devils and summoned hordes of demons for two full years before they spilled out into the rest of the north.

It looks like the fey'ri gave themselves away and the elves of Eaerlann imprisoned them for their troubles before abandoning Eaerlann wholesale to go to Evermeet and in some cases Ardeep.

The demon hordes then attacked Ammarindar and numerous other holds all over the Savage Frontier. Poor Ammarindar was taken by surprise it would seem and perished because of it.

I think the elves of Eaerlann gave up. They had tried to help the humans, gave them a place to stay, taught them the proper use of magic and still the humans turned to evil and stupid uses of the Art. The humans were supposed to help the elves keep the North safe, but instead they caused its destruction and so the elves cleaned up their own mess (the fey'ri) and then held up their hands and said "well its your mess, you deal with it".

I guess the dwarves of Ammarindar were one of the unfortunate casualties of war.

What is weird is that the demons rampaged across much of the Savage Frontier; they attacked the house of Stone, Eaerlann, and Ammarindar, and then they suddenly ran out of steam and then they all seemingly went back to Hellgate Keep and waited for the Harpers to trap them inside and prevent them from using their gate spells.

882 DR is the fall of Ascalhorn, Ammarindar and Eaerlann.

883 DR an eddy of magical chaos creates those ants in the hall of mists beneath the grandfather tree

886 DR the harpers create wards around Hellgate Keep to stop them using their gate.

A veritable army of demons annihilated Ammarindar and then carted much of its wealth back to Hellgate Keep. What was to stop them from heading west to the sea and Ardeep Forest. What was to stop them heading south and East to Cormanthor.

Even one escaped demon can summon many of its allies (i know the number isnt infinite because not all demons like each other and will want favours for being called), but we have seen with the Trio Nefarious what a couple of high powered fiends can do to a region if left unchecked. In myth drannor the elves killed the highest level fiends and the rest got mopped up shortly after, but in the North the big nations got killed so what was left to sort out the demons.

Waterdeep didnt exist (it was Nimoar's Hold - so probably a small keep on a hill).
Silverymoon exists but probably wasnt as big as it is now and it is just one city against a horde that destroyed two nations.
The dwarves of Delzoun existed as isolated surface settlement (felbarr, adbar, House of Stone, Sundabar) since Delzoun fell -100 DR.

So
1) Where did all the demon hordes go?
2) If all the demon hordes returned to Hellgate Keep then why?
3) Why did the powerful demons remain in Hellgate Keep to be bound in place by the Harpers?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2014 :  16:56:35  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I suspect the answer is a lot more complicated than a single book can convey.

A trilogy would do...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2014 :  17:05:15  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

'My opinion'

I think it was taken over gradually by Devils, who are slow and methodical planners (usually), and it would have happened over time, without people noticing (being very smart, they knew if they were found-out early they could be easily stopped by the magically-powerful humans and Elves). This was started by Wulgreth (see Savage Frontier), and as the first devils (secretly) brought-in more devils, more and more spellcasters and parts of the city would have fallen under their influence.

Unfortunately, they WERE found out (once again, see Savage Frontier) and Demons were summoned to stop the Devils - an incredibly stupid maneuver. The devils were indeed stopped, and replaced by something far worse. This is when it all came to a head, in 882 DR.

I see what happened in the city, but my question was more if the wave of demons was strong enough to empty all the cities of the elf and dwarf realms in the same year, or if after this great blow the elven and dwarven cities in which the devils and demons weren't already present were decimated or had their population fleeing in but one year. I see at least some bastions of resistance, like portions of Teuveamanthaar, resisting and having a bit of their original population, until they finally give up and leave, but the date of 882 DR as a mark. Or maybe the elves and dwarves left their millenia-old cities after some months of lower planar harassment, I don't know.

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
The stuff I said about the demons and devils is all canon - I just spun it all in such a way to make seem more logical (in regards to your question). So yes, not 100% canon, but firmly rooted in it.

I know, and this was a great job!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 31 Oct 2014 17:18:21
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2014 :  03:54:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been tweaking the tidbits surrounding the fall of Eaerlann for an upcoming campaign.

Nothing too specific, yet, but it does tie in nicely with a few odd bits Steven Schend shared with us a few years back when he was thinking about the same as well.

I'll post more as I come up with it... if you're interested in further opinions on this.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2014 :  04:46:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Patience is a virtue.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2014 :  12:54:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Patience is a virtue.

-- George Krashos

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2014 :  14:00:32  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What an interesting idea for a massive project ...

;-)

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2014 :  02:52:57  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
(...)

I'll post more as I come up with it... if you're interested in further opinions on this.

Sure I am!!!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2014 :  08:10:35  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a massive project I would love to get my hands on. And if you need an additional frontal lobe to help in any way I'd gladly do all the grunt work (if there is any)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2014 :  03:46:56  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

What an interesting idea for a massive project ...

;-)

--Eric

I think Eric & George need to take "how to tease" lessons from the Hooded One; they're a tad off their game here.

Steven
who knows something you don't know

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000