Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Epic campaign plot hooks
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Garignak
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  11:11:19  Show Profile Send Garignak a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi everyone, our campaign has been going on for about 2 years we are all currently 17th level and will likely hit in the not so distant future. Aftewards the players have expressed interest doing an epic level campaign, which I would take over DMing. We would likely just make new characters because we decided it would best since we would be switching DMs. Our current DM then to me for epic. Problem is I am having some trouble coming up with an epic storyline. What motivates an epic character? By then they have amassed wealth equipment titles lands etc etc. I was thinking of making the gods directly involved and the players would have to travel to various other planes.

Has anyone run an epic campaign? Does anyone have some ideas?

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  11:39:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dracorage is suitably epic.

Sammaster returns, dragons go wild across the realms, the pcs have to stop him and face off against the might of the cult of the dragon.

I've been working on a preliminary draft of such a campaign, i can send you what i have so far if you want.

In fact most of the novel RSEs would make epic storyline you just have to chuck out what the novels say happened and come up with your own version.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  12:23:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite campaigns started at 1st lvl and then ran ALMOST into the epic levels. I had it start during the ToT, but during 3rd edition (then 3.5). It revolved in Damara where the players were in the background during the rise and fall of Zhengyi. By the time they were in their "power" levels, they were slightly lower in level than Gareth and Company, and I had them during the avatar crisis actually take on an avatar of Orcus (this was while Gareth and Company were seeking out Orcus' rod, and they didn't know that the gods had been cast down from the heavens..... note, this may not have actually matched up with the realms timeline, but I knew it was close, and my player's weren't that well versed in the lore). This infused the character that had killed Orcus with necromantic energies. I then led them to the Astral at some point where they ran across some Githyanki raiding the dead body of a god (Orcus' body they came to realize), where they also met a powerful wizard who helped them in clearing out the gith..... a mortal wizard by the name of Velsharoon (again, player's not well versed in the lore... the name didn't click). I was leading them down a path where eventually Velsharoon would seek out the player infused with necromantic energy to use him in the ritual to raise himself to godhood. Then life got in the way.

So, in short, that's how I'd plan out an epic campaign, but only if your players are not as well versed in realmslore as many of us here are. Use the existing history that occurs over time as "current clack of the realms".... so essentially teach them of things like the fall of Myrkul, the rise of Kelemvor, etc... as rumors over time. You'd be surprised just how many players out there just don't know the long history of the realms.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Garignak
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  19:55:28  Show Profile Send Garignak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah the other players are not as versed in Realms lore as me even. I had to explain the ToT to them. They are learning though.
Go to Top of Page

Garignak
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  22:50:55  Show Profile Send Garignak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

The Dracorage is suitably epic.

Sammaster returns, dragons go wild across the realms, the pcs have to stop him and face off against the might of the cult of the dragon.

I've been working on a preliminary draft of such a campaign, i can send you what i have so far if you want.

In fact most of the novel RSEs would make epic storyline you just have to chuck out what the novels say happened and come up with your own version.

Yeah if you don't mind that would be great!
Go to Top of Page

Alamadaeo
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2014 :  02:09:27  Show Profile Send Alamadaeo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The threat of a prolonged war is always a good motivation. For instance; surface elves and Drow are now in open war across the continent - maybe even threatening Evermeet herself. Corellon and Lolth wage war with one another as well, calling upon their mightiest mortal champions to cross time and space to aid their respective causes, and you still have the prime material waiting for salvation. That is of course the first thing that came to mind. Hope it helps, and good luck

Alamadaeo: http://40.media.tumblr.com/4828796b38923a6472e20a2c2e3ab705/tumblr_mfjzc0KBB61qfnq1do3_400.jpg
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2014 :  03:00:59  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoy epic plots. There's another thread on the same topic made only a couple of months ago that I contributed to.

The clergy of Mythrien Sarath, the elven god of abjuration and mythals, finally tracks down Mythrien's Ring. To restore their god to his former power, his Divine Champions must pursue the most elite forces of Mythrien's nemesis, Malar.

Although the followers of Nobanion, Gwaeron Windstrom and Shiallia support their crusade in principle, the severe fighting in the natural places of the world has caused too much collateral damage has soured their relationship.

The Crusaders find solace with Herne Hurkgruum, a demigod who claims to hate Malar with a passion unrivaled even by Mythrien himself. Herne's followers (mostly neutral-aligned orcs) pledge themselves to the cause. Mythrien's followers, exclusively elves, find it difficult to reject the help despite their distaste at the alliance.

Their fears prove well-founded when Herne is discovered to have been subsumed by Malar during the Time of Troubles - the alliance is a ruse that places the crusade in serious jeopardy.

A god's fate hangs in the balance. Mythrien Sarath must get his ring back - if he does not, he will fade into nothingness as his power fails him. If he survives though, a new golden era of elven prosperity beckons...

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Garignak
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2014 :  20:10:10  Show Profile Send Garignak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the ideas, More are always welcome!
Go to Top of Page

Alamadaeo
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  05:33:17  Show Profile Send Alamadaeo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also enjoy planeswalking! If your appropriately prepared it's super fun. Example; A Balor has invaded the mind and heart of a beloved hero, and the only way to stop him is to travel to his demi-plane somewhere in the abyss and destroy the conduit, and then confront the fiend

Alamadaeo: http://40.media.tumblr.com/4828796b38923a6472e20a2c2e3ab705/tumblr_mfjzc0KBB61qfnq1do3_400.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  06:01:14  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote

• Orcus's return is eminent and the PC's need to stop the undead cult that attempting to being him to the prime material plane.

• A commoner has found an ancient and destructive artifact(s) and is using it to gain followers and power and now threatens an entire region.

• A priest of Talona has devised a terrible plague and plans on releasing it into a tributary / well / water supply that will effect hundreds or thousands.

• An apparent "alien force" with superior magic has landed on the Sword Coast (via Airships) and threatens a major city. It turns out they're not alien but just from another distant continent of Toril. Can they be reasoned with? Can the PCs defeat their potentially indestructible airships? Should the PC's take the fight to the "alien's" home?

• one of the PC's has contracted a slowly debilitating disease and the group has to cure them. To what lengths will they go for their friend? The answers they seek might only come from the most terrible of foes or from the sacrifice of someone else. They'll have to travel the world and possible planes to find the cure in time.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  14:21:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something I ran with when I was writing my Hooks... This was in one of the Elminster's Ecologies books, the one covering the Stonelands and Goblin Marches.

quote:
An ancient book called the Yielding Tide speaks of a forgotten city-state that may have once existed in the High Moors. Supposedly the powerful wizards of this city captured a minor goddess in order to steal her power. While the city and its wizards are long gone, those who know the legend (and they are few in number) believe the unnamed goddess is still buried under the city's ruins. She might grant her rescuers their heart's desire -- or she might slay them in retributive anger.

An epic campaign could focus on a quest to awaken this goddess. Either the PCs have to do it for some good cause, or the PCs have to stop a bad guy from doing it for a bad cause (I ran with a variant of the latter, in my Hooks -- the bad guy was hoping to siphon off the goddess's power for himself).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Garignak
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  21:29:35  Show Profile Send Garignak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like that, so far the PCs haven't made characters yet so there could be a mix of good and evil in the group.
Go to Top of Page

Alamadaeo
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  23:59:41  Show Profile Send Alamadaeo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds fun! I wish I could play too!

Go to Top of Page

Garignak
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2014 :  08:20:26  Show Profile Send Garignak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok so got a rundown of the races for the epic characters they want to make. Mind you everyone will be starting at level 21. We decided to make new characters since our current 17th level group is being DMed by another, would be wierd switching DMs with the same characters.

We have a LG Hound Archon of Torm (possibly a paladin), a half-dragon (possibly cleric or sorcerer unknown yet) the third is going to be a druid but unknown race. As for my DM NPCs I was going to play various NPCs the groups meets. They will all be different, some might be evil some good etc etc. They may turn on the group depending on outcomes or not.
Go to Top of Page

Omenborn
Acolyte

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  10:15:50  Show Profile Send Omenborn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let them Search and Destroy teh Scepter of the Sourcerous Kings from old Netheril.
To do that they also must search Out the Creators (i hade Taken People like Zenghy,Larloch und some more where i must check my old notes but basically very old and very Powerfull Mages)

Ive had Run this Campgain for 5 years (using the FR World and NPC but using the Rollemaster Rules).

Some Adventure for Gold,
others for Fame,
ME i just like to KILL THING
Go to Top of Page

Garignak
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  11:08:59  Show Profile Send Garignak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not too familiar with that. Where could I find more information about it?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  15:31:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garignak

I'm not too familiar with that. Where could I find more information about it?

It's been described in a number of sources; I think the best is the 2E Book of Artifacts. Short version: invented in Netheril, and it can entirely block a deity from affecting anything on Toril.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  13:29:15  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you looked at the Epic adventures put out by Living Forgotten Realms?

livingforgottenrealms.com - simply search for "epic" on the page

Even if you hate 4E and the Spellplague there is still a lot of material in the Epic adventures that could be worth stealing.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  23:50:19  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a lot of epic stuff in those adventures though...they don't gel well even if you like 4e.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000