Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 General Draconin
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Xal Valzar
Learned Scribe

Argentina
214 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  08:22:51  Show Profile Send Xal Valzar a Private Message  Delete Topic
Ok, so i play a character who is very very business savvy and is always looking for ways to make money. hes a pretty bright guy.

so the party needs to kill this dragon. and i came up with this plan:
the party has a few players but the requirments of the plan is:
A mage who can cast enlarge person and has an abjuration speicality so he can negate spells with counter spell.
A character with good Strength (16+) and proficient in strength saving throws - proficient in atheltics and has the grappling feat. (in 5e if you have the grappling feat you can grapple creatures one size larger)
has a way to teleport and cast feather fall- by item or wizard levels.
that is at least 6 feet tall.

so what happens is that when the dragon comes close the fighter either jumps or teleports himself to the back of the dragons neck, the mage casts enlarge person on him.
the fighter now ruins the dragons balance putting his weight on his head (like with wrestling horses). loops his legs around his neck and locks them. then he wraps a chain out of either steel or admantium -that was enlarged by the spell- around his neck and slides a very long steel or admantium bar into the chain lockets and begins to twist- each revlation slid agian into the chain. it until the dragon is suffocated and suffers brain damage, the Dragon DOES NOT DIE FROM THIS.

would the dragon attempts to shake of the fighter the wizard casts web on the fighter to get him to stick, it is not likely since the fighter is both holding a chain and has his legs around his neck.
would the dragon try to fly the fighter can use an enlarged hammer to beat its wings and interfere with it. or cast web on its wings via item or wizard levels.
would the dragon try and cast magic the wizard can cast counter spell. and use its abjuration shield to protect the fighter.
Dragons can not touch the back of their necks while standing up straight.
it is advisable that more people would be enlarged and would try to help grapple the dragon. or occupay its limbs and protect the wizard.
after the windpipe of the dragon is closed off it can not use its breath attack and is a matter of time until it passes out from lack of air.

this plan is tested from all angles.

as the dragon passes out from lack of either oxygen he is saved from death via healing spell but is brain dead. After the dragon is passed out the party can attempt to perform a labatomy, removing its frontal cortex and leave it with base functions such as digestion and breathing but with no ability to enact actions. dragons brain can sell for an incredible price and can be used for many things in potential.

after that the dragon will be transported quickly via many carts to a mountain facility where it will be kept in a coma and fed to produce dragons blood and other dragon products. its breath weapon can also be used to either make an electrical generator if its blue, a cutting edge forge of the best quality if its red, a chemical plant if its black or green, or a refrigeration unit if its white.

the place in my factory is in the Twin Peeks in Amn, it is in a mountain since in case of a dragons attack a mountain is virtually un-atackable by a dragon. neither fire nor acid nor lighting nor poison breath or frost breath will make a dint. a dragons burrowing ability will not work since the mountain is made of very hard stone. it would be immune to earthquakes from good Dwarven stone cutting and architecture.
The tower will feature an orb of storms specialized at summoning lighting at flying dragons. ballistratas would be in order to attack blue dragons if it comes to it. the order will also have a shrine to a a god with the tempest domain in order to blow the dragons out of the sky.
elite troops would consume regular doses of dragons blood in order to be able to fight effectively against the dragons if they raid nearby villages. perhaps also a shrine to Bahmut to enforce the punishment for evil dragons. maybe even a deal with Bahmutian dragons and her followers.

this requries a high investment, hence being placed in Amn, and a steady supply of meat, also a good reason for Amn, though not needed since dragons have very efficent metabolisms. and the facility would have a big supply of salted beef. the profit from this would be huge though! Wuakeen and Gond would be very pleased!

the Companies name would be General Draconic.

if it turns out that the dragon needs to be alive with his brain then also u would get him alive and restrain him well with many counter measures. a grouspme faith fitting for a most evil of villains.
only dragons whom have committed evil acts will be hunted and used. even bad Metallica dragons would not be safe. this would be a dragons life sentence in prison.

if the dragon has some eggs they can be sold or the dragon raised as an adopted son in the corpatation. depending on how much colored dragons prove to have evil tendencies.

Knowledge is Power

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  10:51:32  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message
So where in Bahamut's dogma is it acceptable to torture a sentient being into being a food supply? Seriously, once any dragon finds out just what you're doing, you'll have an enraged flight of them knocking on your front door.
Go to Top of Page

Lyiat
Seeker

91 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  10:54:08  Show Profile Send Lyiat a Private Message
Lord, just don't.

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you." ~ Minsc
Go to Top of Page

Xal Valzar
Learned Scribe

Argentina
214 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  11:35:09  Show Profile Send Xal Valzar a Private Message
well he would not be able to knock the door because its a mountian and the door is not big enough for a dragon to go in in walking position. heck let him come, more buisness. $D . $_$ .
id even get a metalic dragon and use its regnerating sclaes as material. even GOLD! KACHING!
and dragons wont really bother me since i have their blood in me. meaning i have resistance to them quite easy. and i have a defence system and a well worked out technique to destroy them and put them in misery. thats psycholgical warfare.
heck Bahmut cares about F'in up bad dragons more then anything else. probably there is a more pragamtic sector in the church that is the one that gets things done. secondly that kind of punishment is fitting to scare evil dragons from roaming around and raiding villages. its for the "greater justice" and its punishment with some mercy, the torture gets to rebuke the people he hurted.

Knowledge is Power
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  12:07:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
If you can't be helpful, simply ignore the thread.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  12:26:59  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message
Dragons are spellcasters. They have access to arcane magic. Your mountain is therefore not impregnable.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  12:36:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
Doesnt Balagos the Flying Flame live in Amn. While he probably enjoys the lack of competition by dragons being killed, i would imagine he is unhappy that a mere humanoid is killing dragons.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  16:46:24  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message
Dragon on the ground. Rolls. Little human is squished. End of dragon hunting escapade.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  17:21:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
Well in part it depends of rule set being used, however I can see a Dragon able to scratch neck with claw standing or flying. There also can be a tail sweep to get fighter off neck. It clearly would be hard for a fighter the tighten chain about neck and wield a war hammer, not enough free hands. Teleport to a moving target has high chance of failure, casting enlarge person on a person riding a moving animal could very well miss (Is not enlarge touch spell?).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  18:24:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Let's not forget other tactics dragons can use. Polymorph into a less-grapple-able shape. Use magic or breath weapons against the grappler(s). Flying a couple of thousand feet into the air and then engaging in all sorts of maneuvers, so that grapplers are hard-pressed just to hang on. Minions/guardian critters/contructs. Simply moving the head and neck against immovable objects, so that the grappler gets squashed. Teleporting or flying into a nearby body of water, or lava for red dragons, or some other environ harmless to the dragon but harmful to humanoids.

A lot of options other than just sitting there taking it, as is implied in the opening post.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Xal Valzar
Learned Scribe

Argentina
214 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  19:24:17  Show Profile Send Xal Valzar a Private Message
well i thought of all those scanarios and no, they wont work.
it can not scratch it head with enough force at the back of the neck. think of yourself hitting below the shoulder blades with your hand, very hard.
hitting its head against a solid object is bad since humans in heavy armor that is times eight is heavy, so it might suffer from severe whiplash and the adventurer would probably be okay since he can use an arm to brace himself. rolling would not work since most of the wieght would not be on the neck to begin with. and a figher can put a spikey morningstar in his way and let a dragon harm himself.
polymorph wouldnt work if the spell caster casts counter spell or dispel magic or even anti magic field well. even if it does polymorph its not gonna put him in a position where hes in an advantage since he is still being suffocated since its gear melds with it to. magic weapons will not work since his wind pipe is being closed by the chain.
also keep in mind that the grappler has his legs around the dragons neck so its not that hard to stay on. a leg lock can hold an incredible amount of force.
teleporting into water wont solve any of its problems though since its easier to stay on in water and the grappler has probably a good con and can go with air for a while. lava is tricky but can be stopped with a counter spell or dispel magic or magic circle. if the grappler does find himself in lava the best reaction is to teleport into the dragons mouth and cast dimensional door when hes done chooping its tounge out. or make a floating sack to the surface with its tounge. best get the party mage of cleric to get you out. the chains if made of admantium wont change under the lava.
minions maybe, though that's why the other characters are important.
enlarge is not touch spell. and if u catch speed u can very well land on its neck, especially if aided by a jump.
i dont know what kind of magic can take care of a mountain. secondly magic is good at making counter magic. the highest level spell that can effect a mountain is metor swarm, which i doubt would do much damage. the second one is earthquake, which would do some damage but not too much if Dwarves make it.

yeah the dragon of Amn would get prissy, and die after trying to do something about it :).

the lesson is simple, everyone has a weakness. except: Xal Valzar, hes practically perfect. well not perfect but hes the best at dodging an opponents strength and getting that strength to a place where it turns into a weakness. also hes completely ruthless at exploiting his opponents weaknesses, which are more often then not moral weaknesses. think of him like Alexander the Great on the battle field.

Knowledge is Power
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  19:36:28  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message
Transmute Rock to Mud turns a minimum of 200 feet cubed to goop. Unless your mountain is almost entirely made out of ore, I imagine you will need to prepare counterspells against that particular spell at the very least.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  19:41:50  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
The Fighter gets legs clawed of by claws, the chain going with them.
Dragon dives into it cave, the Fighter get his head ripped off from top of the tunnel.
Dragon goes astral, no air, or goes planer to element.
The spell caster is quickly out of effective spell range, nor can all spells be counter-spelled.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Xal Valzar
Learned Scribe

Argentina
214 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  19:59:14  Show Profile Send Xal Valzar a Private Message
i dont know of transmute bieng used to that effect by a 20th level wizard. also some antimagic runes would do the trick.

and all spells can be counter spelled in 5e, and the caster ought to keep in range probably via horse.
dragon goes astral its still screwed and the dude can teleport back, secondly i dont know of dragons that can change plains.
i dont see the cave part.
dragons have a hard time reaching their necks, thats why they have so many minions wash them there. also the figher ought to have metal grieves. and one hit that is to hard can hit the dragons neck thus making him break his own neck (LOL).
bottom line a dragons neck is its Achilles heel.

Knowledge is Power
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  20:05:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Xal Valzar

well i thought of all those scanarios and no, they wont work.

Of course they won't! As usual, anything that anyone says, that doesn't agree with your idea, isn't going to work.

quote:
Originally posted by Xal Valzar

the lesson is simple, everyone has a weakness. except: Xal Valzar, hes practically perfect. well not perfect but hes the best at dodging an opponents strength and getting that strength to a place where it turns into a weakness. also hes completely ruthless at exploiting his opponents weaknesses, which are more often then not moral weaknesses. think of him like Alexander the Great on the battle field.

Oh, yeah, we forgot about how godlike and so incredibly kewl your character is. And his moral superiority is obviously enough to overcome mere trifling details like being outweighed by tons by an innately magical critter that is superior to your character in every possible way.

We've played this game with you before, Xal. Learn a new one.

This scroll is locked.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Oct 2014 20:06:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000