Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Converting Sunless Citidel to 5th ed with a twist
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  00:46:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never really gave Daggerdale much thought until now. I owned the three modules, but never got to run them (I heard they were rife with continuity problems).

According to Eric Boyd, the 'Undead castle' was an Easter egg. Just a 'free site' for DMs to do what they wanted with. So I guess the Northern Journey guys did the right thing with it.

And during that discussion I discovered a 4th village within the confines of Shadowdale (beyond Shadowdale-proper). Earlier I stated there was three. Never noticed that one at the very bottom of the Moonsea map. I really do need to finish a comprehensive map of the Dales/Cormanthor region.

Which, of course, is why I started a Daggerdale map. Its actually just the corner of a much larger map.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Fendrikor
Learned Scribe

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  11:29:14  Show Profile Send Fendrikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Netherese themed loot

Converting over roughly half the gold and silver in the dungeon to Electrum peices and Platinum coins so far has been the easy part about adding flavor. But what DID the netherese actually use for Currency?

Consulting Lost empires of Faerun i found a wealth of vague references to netherese loot items such as Arkyres (Ensorcled crowns), Attuned spell gems, Shatter-rings, books on long lost netherese spell lore, etc.

The only problem is, in a ruin that such as this, how common should all this loot ACTUALLY be?

Thus far i have included one Arkyres (Crown) in the Watermephit room. Given Water Mephits do not exist at the moment in 5th ed, I used a Water Wierd (which was, thankfully, CR 3).

'this' Arkyras grants the wearer the a ability to speak, read and write in the Loross script. Which has become necessary for passing the riddle room in Alekkra's tomb (as Loross is a dead language).

Spell gems i am hesitant about... according to attune gem i could put 'anything' in the gemstone really. Anyone know an example of how the netherese used these?

Shatter rings i cant seem to find anything about. I am assumeing they function like a wand, and when they run out of charge the set jewel shatters leaving the ring unmagical and worthless.

tonights progress in converting

I have converted up to room 35 now. The Goblin areas have been significantly easier as the CR is exactly the same (thus i am simply re-writing the DC's for tasks, again just reducing them by 2).

for Yusdrayal the Kobold queen i made her an Urd with 3rd level sorcerer spells. Her Honorguard were a 50/50 mix of Urd and Kobolds wearing Rat-skull helmets and elaborate plumes of coarse bristle rat hair to mark them out as elite.

Yusdrayal herself has an elaborate rat-fur mantle with a shock of sharpened bones frameing forming a neck-dress around her collar. She holds herself like a dragon, and does not intimidate easily (she is ice cold in her belief, that she is REALLY a dragon... or will wield the power of one... through Calcryx ofcourse).

I adapted her loot items to contain Netherese spell gems instead of scrolls (so a spell gem of spider climb, spell gem of comprehend languages).

As i think i noted before i changed the Water Mephit for a Waterwierd (CR was the same).

Changed the 8 cave rats in the 'Dragon Chow' encounter for a Rat swarm.

Changed the dragon bust on the Sanctuary door to a big impassive effigy of Jergal and the description from 'Channel good, open the way' to 'Channel your faith, and be judged by Jergal'

Changed the Azun-Ghund transparent metal whistle for a flute (anyone know of a popular netherese instroment?). Also replaced the potion of protection from fire next to it (which should realistically have dried out long ago) with a Shatter-ring of protection from fire with 3 personal charges left and the command word 'Conflagro!'.

I am considering giving Guthash lair actions (to summon more rats).

I am also considering revisiting Alekkra and giving her legendary actions (either cast a spell or move 10 feet).

Utterly removed Erky Timbers. You might say, he 'Erked' me... *Cough*

I was writing up a really badass Redplume cleric of tempus to put there in his stead, sent by Malthir of hillsfar on a mission to get a pale apple for his own purposes. Having missed his chance last winter (on account of being captured) he see's an opportunity to redeem himself, get another pale apple - and stab a bunch of demi humans in the back in the process.

But i decided instead i would leave the spot open for new character write ins, or an NPC that would compliment the party, rather than work against it (but i still hate Erky Timbers. Oh god)

'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  12:07:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm afraid i have quite deliberately steered away from the well detailed areas of the realms when doing my version of places. I find too much lore to be just as much of a hindrance as not enough lore.

I have still collected loads of information on the areas, i'm just not doing anything with it at the moment.

Sorry i can't be more helpful. Although since you mentioned this adventure i have skimmed through it a bit and i'm stealing Ashardalon for my own version of the Rage of Dragons. So thanks for the lead, i only need another 22 dragons to fill out my secret cabal of dragons that havent been seen on Faerun since -3500 DR.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  13:07:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Return of Randal Morn mentions 'Teleport Rings' (with a Halaster tie-in) - thats another item you can find in the Daggerdale region. There aren't any 'hard stats' given for them, so you can adjust them to suit your campaign (in other words, maybe give them 'charges', with only a couple left, rather then a 'once-per-day' kind of thing).

I may have to add them to my home-brewed Thaeravel lore.

I like the tree-blights, but they need a little something. Maybe have them be a larval stage for something else? (like an evil Fey that can take on a pleasing appearance to lure men to their dooms?)

I just came across THIS SITE quite by accident, and it has some nice maps you may want to use. Its weird, because I wasn't even looking for anything Daggerdale-related when I found it (damn you, Google and FB, for 'adjusting' my preferences without me telling you to do so!)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Oct 2014 13:13:09
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  15:22:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The Return of Randal Morn mentions 'Teleport Rings' (with a Halaster tie-in) - thats another item you can find in the Daggerdale region. There aren't any 'hard stats' given for them, so you can adjust them to suit your campaign (in other words, maybe give them 'charges', with only a couple left, rather then a 'once-per-day' kind of thing).

I may have to add them to my home-brewed Thaeravel lore.

I like the tree-blights, but they need a little something. Maybe have them be a larval stage for something else? (like an evil Fey that can take on a pleasing appearance to lure men to their dooms?)

I just came across THIS SITE quite by accident, and it has some nice maps you may want to use. Its weird, because I wasn't even looking for anything Daggerdale-related when I found it (damn you, Google and FB, for 'adjusting' my preferences without me telling you to do so!)

I believe that there was a teleport ring in Spellfire -- an imprisoned Zhent had it on one of his toes and used it to teleport out of Shadowdale.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fendrikor
Learned Scribe

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  16:39:49  Show Profile Send Fendrikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wow. i must say, personally my favorite picture from that site Markustay, is the oil painting of daggerfalls. :) words cannot describe how good it is to 'see' it rather than think it.

'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
Go to Top of Page

Fendrikor
Learned Scribe

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  05:46:48  Show Profile Send Fendrikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TEST SESSION ONE

Tonight i decided i will run what i have done so far in a short 4 hour session at the local game store which is open late.

Some keen DND players have enlisted, and i have brought 6 premade characters (2 fighters, 1 wizard, 1 rogue, 1 cleric, 1 monk) for anyone who cares to drop in.

My theory is If i go over 4 players, i will add 2 monsters per extra player into the mix. (So 8 kobolds will become 10 for a party of 5, 4 skeletons will become 6).

--------- My plan -------------

Things will begin with the party having a quiet drink in a tavern and planning for their adventure.

I will then cut back to how only a few hours earlier they had a discussion with Lord Randal Morn about takeing the job (and payment, which they can negotiate during that spiel) before cutting back to the tavern scene.

Ill alow them to be as interested or disinterested in makeing plans as their roleplays alow for, and have some fun according to their class (to teach them skills), such as pick pocketing, getting in a fist fight, learning about condition effects (such as alchole poisoning), and travel around town to get what they need (i am assuming it is mid day).

Randal will pay them half the money up front if they barter with him.

When ready they have a choice - Set out for Sunstone, Rest, then head to Sunless citidel. OR. Cut a path overland to get to the Citidel a few hours after dark, and camp there.

If they travel to sunstone they have an uneventful day, but at night they get attacked by twigblights.

If they travel overland they have twice the chance of encounters (so two seperate rolls, which could mean two encounters).

-------------

I intend for them to then at the citadel push as far as they think they can go before needing to Rest. when they decide to take a long rest, i will end the session.

Ill report back with how it all goes in 5 hours or so.

Go to Top of Page

Fendrikor
Learned Scribe

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  13:48:55  Show Profile Send Fendrikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, why am i testing this AND converting it? Because if i do not play test it - i wont know where the imbalanced lie / how people react.

How it went

THE PARTY:
Einkill Brightaxe - Mountain Dwarf Barbarian, Tethyamar Exile
Gothrun 'Nightbreeze' Naillo - Half moonelf Silver Sorcerer, His mother is a wealthy silver half dragon who lives in the Silver Marches
Carric 'Gemflower' Amakir - Copper elf Evoker, From Tangled Trees in Cormanthor Forest
Yssiel 'Kirios' Del'Sharrion - Szarkai Drow Assasin, Exiled from Maerimydra

The Fallsview Inn

They began in Daggerfalls, with Einkill's face reflected in a frothy pitcher of mead. As he hefted it to drink, behind him Carric and Gothrun talked in elvish about what they would need to buy for their journey, while Kirios the albino elf sat with his feet up on the bench in a corner booth to himself, playing with a dagger. This was their chance to make it as famous adventurers, an offer from a Lord to do an important job. For Einkill however, it was all about the Ale. He drank remembering the Lords words.

A Meeting with Lord Randal Morn

The party had wandered into town in the dead of winter. Their bones chill from a life on the road, they were eager to find a tavern and talk about their deeds and aspirations. As chance had it, word reached lord Randal morn (via his eyes and ears in the town, Eli the tanner) - would these steel-willed adventurers have what it took to brave the sunless citidel?

He summoned them the next morning to his Hall, meeting them at the doors and ushering them to a comfortable study with refreshments. He thanked them for arriving, shakeing hands where offered by Einkill and Gothrun while finding Carric and Kirios more than a little standoffish and aloof. Einkill of course snatched up the bottle of dark moonsea liquor offered to the group and began drinking from the bottle.

Randal ignored it, dwarves will be dwarves, and began to brief them on why he had summoned them. A dangerous quest, an adventuring group in peril - missing for a month - and a daring bid at rescuing them from a pre-historic ruin lost within the bowels of the earth - The Sunless citadel.

Gold of course would be offered, to the tune of 125 a piece. Einkill lowered the bottle at the thought, and the others were more than a little pleased to hear such a sizeable reward offered. After all, if 2 silvers was a peasants wage for a week, or two days mercenary work, each 125 gold was a fortune. Double if they bring them back alive. Gothrun did most of the talking and negotiation, confident that there would be high adventure to come. Lord randal smiled, though his eyes remained tired - raising his wooden goblet and raising a toast for good fortune. They all toasted (except for Kirios, who hates everyone).

The Fallsview Inn

Einkill lowered his mug as conversation about gold from behind caught his ear. Carric and Gothrun were being wryly lectured by Kirios about what not to do a dungeon. No Torches. No Sound. Only Kirios would speak. Also, no Horses - they will always be eaten by monsters if left outside the dungeon. While the two green adventurers listened to the 'veteran of many dungeons' speak, Einkill chimed in that he had 10 gold to add to the kitty, the party's total wealth equalling 50 gold all up. With it, they decided to buy Bedrolls and Ball bearings.

DaggerFalls Market

The town of daggerfalls could easily support a population of 2500, but only a scant few over 900 were living there since the occupation had ended. The town was mostly empty. And the market was much the same.

It was only a few degrees above freezing, their breath misting in the air as they haggled with toothless peasants for their overpriced camping gear.

At one point Kirios noticed the Blacksmith at the edge of the market, hammering away at an axe head on his anvil. 'Ball-bearings' he thought, thinking about how he would survive the dungeon. He then noticed the Smith was a dwarf with an audible groan. He sauntered over to Einkill with a plan.

Ten minutes later Einkill was in the blacksmith, shaking hands with and patting the blacksmith on the back. 'Dwarves' grimaced the Szarkai, overhearing the blacksmith casually referring to Einkill's company as 'women'. But never the less, Einkill returned with the ball-bearings and took the payment he was due for said task.

They then got to planning, using a Map Randal morn had given them to figure out how best to reach the Dungeon. The easiest and safest route would be to head to Tethyamar side, then take the old road through the ruins of Sunstone, then up into the Daggerhills past the Shadowfall ravine.

But the suggestion was also posed that they head to Tethyamar side, then cut through the wilderness to the ravine overland.
A final suggestion was offered to travel to tethyamar side, rest, then strike out on a full days travel to the dungeon afterwards (rather than spending the night in the wilderness). This was the plan they settled upon.

Tethyamar Side

The trip to Tethyamar side was uneventful. It was not a far journey, and they could hitch rides on the backs of wagons headed south down the Tethyamar trail to speed their way. Occasionally they passed Goatherders, Potato farmers and patrolling freedom riders as they trekked through the sweeping snowy drifts, and rocky ravines of the Teshar valley.

When they arrived at Tethyamar side they hesitated. The Gates were closed and Dalers were notoriously unfriendly - just as likely to shoot as to hail strangers. They waited 60 feet from the palisade gate, all the while watching the pot helmed, spear wielding guards scrutinising them from wall top.

Kirios decided it was a bad idea, they shouldn't ask the locals to take them in for a night. He would rather take his chances in the wild than sleep in another dirty tavern. Carric agreed with Kirios.. feeling in his gut that they may be inviting trouble asking to stay the evening. But Einkill was determined to get his hands on a cold beverage. Gothrun was on the fence, while he saw staying at the Inn as a wise idea - he also was now unsure, now that he was confronted with the standoffish, somewhat untrusting dalesfolk.

One of the Guards hailed them with a 'What Ho' Strangers', 'State your purpose so late in the day'. Einkill cut them short 'A Stiff Drink and a Firm bed to pass out on'. 'What have you to Trade' yelled back the guard. '10 golden lions' called back the Dwarf. 'Quiet! theyre going to rob us' whispered Kirios tersely, thumbing his the daggerhilts on his bandoleer.

And with that the gate cracked open... warily they went inside and faced the two gate guards. Both were strong and slender, with tawny skin and dark hair of dalesmen. Both wore a padded vest of furs and leather, and pot helms. Both wielded spears, which one was smacking against the palm of his hand expectantly.
'You will stay a the Old Boar. Adventurers have a habit of bring the worst on their heels through town. You leave at sunrise, and if we catch you out after hours - Frontier Justice is what you'll get' threatened one of the guards.

'... whats... whats frontier justice?' asked Carric timidly.
'We tie you with a rope to several horses, and have them run in different directions' The guard said back with a smirk.
'Aye! back at me' Clan hall - we do that for sport!' Einkill boasted.

10 minutes later, Einkill and the guards were drinking and laughing like old friends.

The Old Boar

Night began to fall outside along with a light snow. The warmth of the fire soon washed away all doubts as to whether staying in Tethyamar side was the right decision. The Inn was not overly crowded. By far the loudest people in the bar were Einkill and his new gambling / drinking buddies. Gothrun, who had taken on a leadership roll in the party, realised it would be a good chance for them to get some information.

He hailed over a young serving girl, probably barely 17 winters, with sandy braided hair and big green doe eyes. She delivered a bottle of cheap clarry to their table, but as she went to leave - he took her by the shoulder. 'Mylady, have you seen any other adventurers come through these parts in the past month?'. She blushed and looked away. '... yes there ... was another g-g-group mylord. four of them... they were headed for the daggerhills'. Gothrun raised an eyebrow 'tell me more good-maid' he inquired 'can you describe them to me?'.

She looked up at him with big green eyes as she talked, describing a gallant knight, a creepy woodsman, a handsome warrior and a kind hearted woman skilled in the art of magic.

Meanwhile, over at the Bar, Einkill learned from one of the guards that the reason him and his fellows had been given so much trouble was that for the last thirteen years they had been inundated with strangers - mostly zhents - coming through town to seek out the 'Monsterous Market'... A goblin event held somewhere in the nearby highlands... where the savage races went to trade. Of everything on offer, the most valued and feared was the Pale Apple. The Deadliest Fruit in all the dales, its meerest touch could kill. He also learned that the Goblins would come to town in the dead of night on the Midsummer solstice offering a Red apple of perfect hue. An apple that could with a bite, cure any malady, reverse old age, and break even the most terrible curse.

Kirios could not help but overhear this from outside the tavern, having skilfully avoided the dalers at the gates he was now sneaking about doing what rogues do best. It was the first his nefarious mind had heard of the pale apple... When the party awoke the next morning, Kirios would not be leaving with them.

Sunstone and Beyond

The night was still bar for the distant howling of wolves, but passed without event. Carric and Gothrun were forced to share a room while Einkill got a whole suit to himself.

The next morning no tears were shed for the loss of Kirios - who had absconded into the night - and packing their things they set off before the sun was high.

The trek up the snowed out old road into the highlands was arduous but largely uneventful. Rolling hills crowned with oaken stands of old growth, and craggy break neck valleys made up the majority of the scenery. On occasion they would spy the ruins of a walled farmstead off the road some way amidst the trees - but never did they stop to investigate any closer. Just after highsun they reached the ruins of Sunstone, a collection dilapidated buildings mouldering along the banks of a rocky frozen river. Things had been living here, they found a fire pit and some Graffiti, but for the most part Sunstone was a ghost town.

They passed through without incident on their way towards the daggerhills, passing by increasingly dense thickets of hardy thorn covered vegetation until finally they reached the Shadowfall Ravine at Sunset.

The Approach

Ancient shattered stone columns of granite stood like a sparse forest on the edge of the ravine. Signs of old ruins were everywhere, yet the ruin itself was not. Fallen pillars here, broken flagstone there. Carric kneeled next to one of the toppled columns, wiping off the snow to find the carven words 'Durbuluk', or 'Those who sharpen their teeth' in goblin along side the words to say 'Keep out or die' written in the same. Einkill meanwhile stood with Gothrun admiring the thick stonework of the pillars themselves. The dwarf musing that they must at least be several centuries old, carved by human hands and brought here with magic... for the Granite they were looking at was native to the Tethyamar mountains. (Insert Ancient Aliens reference)
Carric got their attention by indicating he had found an old knotted hemp rope dangling over the chasm edge... looking down they could see the bottom. a narrow snowy stone ledge 60 feet down... strewn with old bones and fallen boulders.

Einkill decided to descend first, finding goblin wrought handholds in the cliff face. the others watched breathlessly as he deftly dropped, hand over hand down the creaking rope, into the shadows. The Chasm widened out significantly. And already bats were begining to emerge from the dark-places of the world to flit through the twilight. Finally at the bottom, Einkill broke the ice crust with a crunch of his thick boots. 'Ye can all come down now' He hollered up, Grumbling something about elves being too dainty to climb.

While he waited, he sifted through the snow - finding an old charred spearhead in a burried firepit.. he also noticed some charred animal bones. Someone had been camping up her. he then noticed fresh giant rat tracks nearby... lots of them. everywhere infact. THEN he saw the giant rats... One snuffling about on the old stone stair switch-backing down the cliff face to the west, Then another, its thick hairless tail slowly dissapearing behind a fallen Stone collumn. He readied his axe. But as he went to yell to the others - the third rat he didn't see, lept out from a ledge in the wall at him!

Wolves of the deep

Gothrun looked down, eyes wide beneath his forest green hood as he saw Einkill suddenly get jumped by first one giant rat, then a second - biting deep into his shoulder. Einkill howled in pain, then flew into a rage. Gothrun quickened his pace down, yelling up at Carric to get down the rope and help them.

While Einkill struggled with the rats, Throwing them off himself and hacking down upon them with his Axe, soon Gothrun dropped from the rope and began incanting the words to fill his body with the fury of a tempest. He Ripped one of the Giant rats from Einkills back - holding the creature by the Scruff for just a second before electrocuting it with both hands. Carric meanwhile scaled down the cliff face, only pausing to take aim and lance down upon the now more numerous vermin with a ray that drained all heat from that it touched, killing with frost. One rats whiskers froze and snapped right off, its eyes glassing over. It panicked with a loud screech and fled at top speed over the cliff side, veritably leaping into the air rather than suffer the ray of frost any longer. But more were scurrying up the stair well. Lots more.

Einkill was dripping with blood from scratches and Bites. But now enraged, he was a butcher of Rats. Throwing one of the Rats into the air, he Swung his axe in both hands and with a roar, sent two halves of the rat flying into the snow with a wet thud. Gothrun readied his staff, but quickly dropped it in the snow when he realised two large rats were running at him. Their fangs were long and in need of pine kindling, but for lack of something better to chew Gothrun suspected his bones would do just fine. He electrified his hands again, preparing to catch the first rat and shock it backwards - instead he ended up locked in a bear hug with the creature, its Fangs precariously close to his face when suddenly - A flash of purple energy sent it reeling backwards into the snow, spraying Gothrun with blood and tufts of fur. Two more purple flashes struck down into two other rats running at the half elf, hitting home like bullets. Blood and fur exploded into the air, throwing the rats to the ground rolling around in agony. They scurried as fast as they could back off into the darkness. Above, still holding onto the Knotted rope, a violet glow faded from Caric's eyes and finger tips, he watched on from on high as Gothrun picked his staff up from out the snow beside him - and slammed it down into the crippled rat sprawled before him, again and again until it ceased twitching.

A blood curdling scream however drew their attention back to Einkill. A Rat, the last rat that is, had lept upon him from behind and was tearing out the side of his neck. Ribbons of meat came loose and bright red blood sprayed into the snow. Einkill staggered holding his neck wild eyed and gurgling before falling over in a twitching heap in the snow. The Rat was upon him, but So too was Gothrun - Vengence in his eye he smacked the thing clean off Einkill with a two handed sweep of his staff, before Carric finished it while it tried to run away - the thing shrieking to the last as his ray of frost froze its blood in its veins, leaving its body half-defrosted on the cliff edge.

Einkill's Folly

Gasping and falling in and out of Conciousness, Einkill was losing blood quickly. Gothrun had no idea what to do. kneeling in the snow next to his companion he looked around for something he could use to styme the bleeding. Thinking fast , and not wanting to get his hands dirty , he used the power of the art to apply pressure upon the wound in a perfect arcane seal. While he did this, Carric descended and stood watching, growing ever more pale at the thought of his potentially long elven life coming to such a wretched end in the same way.

After about two minutes Einkill lay still... breathing... but still. the pressure was working. A mix of Einkills own blood matted beard hair and the arcane pressure serving to buy the dwarf time to recover. His Jugular had not been pierced, but it wasnt clear if he was going to bleed out or be ok ... his fate was in Tymora's hands now. All that they could do was sit and wait

Edited by - Fendrikor on 03 Nov 2014 01:54:24
Go to Top of Page

Fendrikor
Learned Scribe

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2014 :  08:11:41  Show Profile Send Fendrikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it possible to post photos on the board? I have been painting up some minis to use at session.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2014 :  17:32:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'd have to post them at photobucket or some other service and then link to them. No direct posting of pics here.

Another place you may want to upload them (for multiple reasons) would be Coolminiornot - I used to be a regular over there, and thats all they do - host pictures of miniatures.

And BTW, I am working on a map, but it probably won't be done in-time for you, I don't think. I am trying out a lot of new techniques on it. Very 'old school'.

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Nov 2014 17:34:23
Go to Top of Page

Fendrikor
Learned Scribe

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2014 :  03:57:05  Show Profile Send Fendrikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Todays Work

Tonight i will be running the second Session. There may be anywhere up to 8 players wanting to get in on the action at the club.

The party has as such swollen to...

Dwarf barbarian
Half Elf Sorcerer
Elf Wizard
Drow Rogue
Halfling Rogue
Dwarf Cleric
and 1 or 2 yet to choose.

The question of scaleing has come up.

Scaleing Rat / Kobold Encounters

According to 5th edition the xp budget for a party of level 1's (for a standard encounter) is 50xp per player. Giant rats and kobolds are 25 xp each, just having a predictable 2 per player would seem awefully static... thus i came up with 1.5 per player + d4.

for a party of 4 players this would mean anywhere between 7-10 rats / kobolds per fight. Additionally every 5th kobold will be an Urd (winged kobold) with nothing special for the giant rats.

Skeletons and Goblins

0.5 per player + d3

this means 4 adventurers will face 3-6 goblins / skeletons

every 4th goblin will be a hobgoblin

I want netherese skeletons to feel more magical. I dropped the idea of shatter rings, finding it to wildly imbalancing and tacky. Instead i decided the following.

Any skeleton 'not' designated as an archer by the Sunless Citidel will be a Myrmidar. Instead of their Shields and Scimitars they have 'heavier' rusty chiseled iron breastplates and Ranseurs. Because the Ransuers are rusty they only deal d6 instead of d8 damage. The Skeletons are not intellegent enough to disarm with them.

As every Hlontaran civilian, even the house maids, knew Cantrips i have given the Myrmidar's cantrips too. The First is Unnerving Gaze (adapted from 3.5), the first person to attack the Myrmidar and fail a save hits at disadvantage (Cast as a bonus action). The second is 'No Light' also adapted from 3.5, as an Action all the light sources within 30 feet of the Myrmidar are extinguished (torches, sunrods, light spells etc).

Any skeleton designated as an 'Archer' is instead a Bone Mage. Bone mages have no armor scrap bonus to AC, and instead cast spells.

Launch Bolt - adapted again - will throw any projectile stuck in the skeleton (or nearby) at a target of the skeletons choosing (it still rolls to hit).
No Light - as above
Unnerving gaze - as above
Ray of Frost - as the Cantrip

They fight with claws if pressed into melee.

Edited by - Fendrikor on 06 Nov 2014 03:57:55
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000