Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Campaign Setting
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  01:08:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My guess would be that the use of the leyline energy attracted the spirits (Fey) like 'moths to a flame'.

I am not opposed to Leylines in FR, I just don't see any canon basis for them. So, it might be some combination of what I said (bloodlines) and leylines - that the presence of one strengthens the other, and over time, perhaps, the very 'veil between the worlds' becomes thinner in those areas. In fact, that ties-in nicely to the most basic premise of FR - that it used to have connections to everywhere. Maybe when Toril began to loose its 'feyness' (when the Fey first left for the feywild, as per GHotR), it lost many of its 'world doors' in the process.

So the Path of Light & Shadows becomes similar to 'The Ways' in Wheel of Time, or Doctor Strange's interdimensional crossroads. In fact, we even see Elminster using the portal network in much this manner in Elminster's Daughter. Most folks can only travel from 'point A' to 'point B' with portals, but Elminster knows how to manipulate them, and move between them... sort of like Larloch. To me, that means the 'Gates' aren't really two-way at all, they are part of a much greater network, but most people never acquire the 'greater understanding' necessary to manipulate them. The witches might have the right heritage (bloodline) to access that power, and at least be able to contact the spirit realm (Faerie/Feywild) and summon creatures from there for help.

So maybe thats it - the Weave itself is leylines - the 'web' of magical energy that surrounds Toril, and where the lines of the web cross (nodes) you can move matter and energy across time and space, especially if you have a fey bloodline (which would allow you to sense the nodes, rather like how the Lythari can detect portals to the Feywild... in fact, that ability might just be the very same thing here). There might even be some sort of physical sign at well-used ones - magical glades and 'Faerie Circles'(mushroom circles).

And thats not at all what I wanted to talk about - I wanted to discuss the witches themselves. Dammit, I get easily side-tracked.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Oct 2014 01:22:06
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  08:16:25  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i think i will add this to my to do list. I can make a start on the basic timeline (i.e. novel and RSE events removed) and carry on collecting all the lore i can as a resource for later should this project get more weight behind it.

If anyone does fancy getting involved then just let me know and we can get started.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  12:26:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as stated by others above, you'd need a cohesive 'plan' moving forward, and everyone is going to want to spin-off in their own directions. Its going to be very hard to corral all that 'enthusiasm'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2014 :  22:46:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Well, as stated by others above, you'd need a cohesive 'plan' moving forward, and everyone is going to want to spin-off in their own directions. Its going to be very hard to corral all that 'enthusiasm'.

yep

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  16:01:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i decided to go ahead and work on this anyway because i like keeping busy and being creative.

So i'm going to start first with the timeline and then go into each region as much of the work is going to concentrate on taking out the novels and finding a neutral event that has a similar effect as the novels that advances the setting.

So the first question is where to start the campaign setting timeline and i'm hoping that ultimately i can make a campaign setting that starts anywhere between 1358 and 1375.

So heres a few dates from the timeline starting with 1358

- 1358 DR Year of Shadows: Lord Mourngrym and Lady Shaerl Amcathra of Shadowdale have a son, Scothgar (“Scotti”).
- Giogi Wyvernspur and Flattery Wyvernspur battle for control of the legendary family heirloom known as the Wyvernspur in Cormyr.
- The Jaezred Chaulssin learn of the existence of Nurvureem, the only female “drow-dragon” and the daughter of the Patron Grandfather’s kidnapped mate.
- Rhinnom Dannihyr becomes Grandmaster of the Shadow Thieves of Amn.
- The Time of Troubles: Cast out from their otherworldly domains by the overpower Lord Ao, the gods of Toril wander the Realms as mortals. They seek the stolen Tablets of Fate, which are the key to their return. During this dark period, known as the Time of Troubles, magic becomes unpredictable and the prayers of the faithful go unanswered. By its conclusion, Faerûn’s pantheon of gods witnesses the ascendancy of Cyric, Midnight (Mystra), and the Red Knight, the death of Bane, Bhaal, Ibrandul, and Myrkul, and the death and rebirth of Torm.
- Accompanied by fire from the sky, Bane’s spirit falls from the heavens, directly on top of the Black Altar, his dark temple in Zhentil Keep. This event is remembered by the Zhents as The Arrival.
- Waukeen places her divinity in trust with a fellow goddess, Lliira, and escapes the Realms to the Astral Plane with the aid of a god from another world. Soon afterward, the Merchant’s Friend is betrayed by the Demon Prince Graz`zt and imprisoned in the Abyss.
- A large force of malaugrym enter Faerûn hoping to take advantage of the Time of Troubles and slay Elminster. They also seek to infiltrate Faerûnian society in preparation for the killing and replacing of many important personages. Most of the malaugrym are defeated and slain, but several escape to unknown locations.
- The god Moander returns to the Forgotten Vale and takes control of this saurial settlement, but is driven back into the planes by Alias and friends. Finder Wyvernspur, The Nameless Bard, destroys Moander and becomes a demi power.
- The soon-to-be deity known as the Red Knight defends strife-torn Tethyr from an army of monsters that threaten to surge forth from the Forest of Tethir.
- The avatar of Sseth appears briefly above the water of the Lapal Sea before battling the dinosaur avatar of Ubtao on the eastern edge of the Jungles of Chult. The sarrukh of Okoth approach the divine minions of the deity Set and agree to bind their god Sseth into eternal slumber if they are granted spells and aid in their ancient battle against the khaasta.
- The Lords’ Alliance of Waterdeep expels Luskan’s forces from Ruathym by applying combined diplomatic and military pressure. Luskan and the allied island realms of the Trackless Sea join to form the Captain’s Confederation.
- Ruathym becomes a battleground for the deities Clangeddin Silverbeard and Labelas Enoreth when their avatars confront each other.
- The visitations of Sekolah, Anhur, and other lesser water powers cause much disruption in Serôs. Umberlee ravages the Pirate Isles of the Inner Sea with hurricanes and storms, destroying more than two-thirds of the pirates’ fleets.
- Appearing also in the Trackless Sea, the Bitch Queen adopts the kraken Slarkrethel as her seraph.
- Tiamat slays the deity Gilgeam, and Unthalass is heavily damaged during their battle. Assuran (Hoar) also slays the deity Ramman, bringing the Untheric pantheon to an end. Riots erupt throughout Unther, and the empire falls into chaos.
- Malar attempts to enter the confines of the Gulthmere Forest to destroy the druids residing there but is battled by Nobanion and driven northwest toward the Sword Coast in what sages later call the Roar of Shadows.
- Silvanus is seen roaming in Winterwood and the heart of the Chondalwood. He also reportedly provides his special blessing to the island of Ilighôn, home of the Emerald Enclave and his Chosen.
- A great battle in Waterdeep sees Myrkul destroyed, Shar and Selûne do battle, and Cyric and Midnight (Mystra) ascend to godhood from the summit of Mount Waterdeep.
- Ao dissolves the Imaskari planar barrier, allowing the manifestations of Mulhorandi deities to leave Toril and rejoin their divine essences.
- The Ebondeath Sect in the Mere of Dead Men collapses with the destruction of Myrkul.
- The death of all Bhaal worshipping assassins, and as a result, the Shadow Thieves’ decades long dominance of the Calishite underworld ends.
- The Shadow Thieves of Amn lose the entire membership of the Shade Council and two-thirds of their assassin members with the death of Bhaal. In response, they undergo a sweeping reorganization.
- In the months following the Avatar Crisis, the goddess Leira is slain by Cyric and Mask, though followers of the Lady of the Mists claim she is very much alive, having perpetrated the grandest illusion of all.
- House Oblodra, its psionic power unaffected by the disruption in magic caused by the Time of Troubles, attempts to seize control of Menzoberranzan. Upon the conclusion of the Godswar, House Oblodra, is destroyed by the ruling House Baenre.
- Battle of Keeper’s Dale: House Baenre leads an army of drow, goblins, and kobolds out of Menzoberranzan to attack the dwarves of Mithril Hall. The dwarves are aided by svirfneblin, local barbarians, troops from Nesmé and Silverymoon, and even the mysterious Harpells of Longsaddle and Lady Alustriel [1357, 1361] herself. The drow are ultimately defeated and driven back to their homeland.
- Shond Tharovin unleashes the demilich Shoon VII on Zallanora Argentresses, a young female moon elf wizard, and the spirits of the undead qysar and the young elf switch bodies.
- The realm of Erlkazar is attacked by the goblin hordes of the High and Kuldin Peaks, east of present-day Tethyr, but successfully defends its lands.
- Mulhorand launches a fleet of ships to capture the island of Alaor from Thay. More than half their fleet sinks in storms or due to sahuagin attacks, and the mission is a failure.
- Tuigan Horselord Yamun Khahan unites the barbarian tribes of the Hordelands.
- Zhent forces bypass the defences of Highdale using a portal and attack it.
- Late in Nightal, a blaze in the Hall of Mameluks leaves Ralan el Pesarkhal as sultan and ruler of Manshaka.

Now i can distill a few novel/RSE events from the whole 1358 timeline that changed the face of Faerun and in definitive ways.

1 - Time of Trouble - a few gods died.

2 - The Crusade - A large horde of horsemen appears and is beaten.

3 - The collapse of Unther, death of Gilgeam and Tiamat. Slightly connected to the Time of Troubles. in the end Gilgeam dies and Unther descends into chaos.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  16:16:11  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So looking at number 1 - Time of Troubles i can pinpoint the following important changes to the realms.

1 - Bane's church is subsumed into Cyric's and later fractures into Xvim/bane and Cyric.
2 - Bhaal's assassins are all killed which seems to only affect the Shadow Thieves and Rhinnom Dannihyr becomes leader, and his church is subsumed into Cyric.
3 - Sseth is bound by Set which affects the Okoth Sarrukh and their motivations.
4 - Gilgeam is killed leading to the collapse of Unther.

Can anyone think of anything else. I'm talking about events that have permanent changes to places/organisations in Faerun.

Now if you did not wish to have the Time of Troubles in your timeline but still wanted to play using all the information in a campaign setting and not have to rework the effects how could you implement a neutral event that mimiced the effects of the Time of Troubles.

I'm thinking:
1 - Bane's church split's between Orthodox and Non-Orthodox (which i mentioned earlier). All churches allied to Cyric are now detailed as being Orthodox Banites headed by Szchuluan Darkoon. All churches allied to Xvim are now detailed as being Non-Orthodox Banites headed by Fzoul Chembryl.

2 - Bhaal's assassins (i'm thinking of those in the Shadow Thieves as they are the only ones mentioned in any subsequent history or sourcebook) are killed in a war involving the Dark Dagger/Night Parade and possibly related to the disappearance of Pasha Abon Duum which caused a power vacuum in Manshaka, spread to other areas of Calimshan and ultimately involved the entire Shadow Thieves organisation in a turf war with other thieving groups in Calimshan.

3 - I'm stuck for Sseth/Set. Short of Sseth being in a prolonged stupor anyway, the Okothian Sarrukh still turn to Set to bind Sseth in order to gain allies against the Khaasta.

4 - Gilgeam's death was a long time coming. Tiamat had been building up support anyway. The rebellion of Messemprar and Gilgeam's failure to suppress it just meant people started to turn away from the tyrant who obviously wasnt all that powerful. Tiamat attacks Gilgeam and the same events happen. It doesnt need a time of troubles for this part to involve gods in physical bodies because Gilgeam always had a physical manifestation in Unther, i guess he liked it that way.

Anyone got any other key events for the time of troubles that have permanent outcomes on people/places/organisations of the realms.

I didnt include the death of mystra because i can't think of any permanent effect that has had on the realms (plus its practically an every day occurence by now).

The death of Torm was a non event because he was brought back and the destruction of Tantras seems to have been rebuilt quite quick.

Waukeen's absence could be another key event but by 1369 it was all solved and she returned. The only thing she suffers is a loss of some power and a few graz'zt worshippers infiltrating her church in Amn. Its not exactly a permanent change, just dont do the Waukeen to Llira swap of her churches if you dont bother with the Time of Troubles.

Anything i'm missing so far?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  16:25:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Onto the Tuigan Crusade.

From what i can gather (having never read the novels but read all the sourcebooks that follow and there isnt much in the way of a permanent change to the realms) a big army of horseman rampages across the wastes, enters Faerun, crosses Rashemen and Thay and gets beaten somewhere near Thesk.

The only permanent changes i can think of revolving around this event are.

1 - Lots of orc troops left in Thesk. Not sure how to work this one, its quite specific that the orcs are Zhent troops. So could they have been sent as part of a Zhent attempt to invade somewhere. Perhaps a sea invasion of parts of Thesk and the ships get lost in a storm. Perhaps a land invasion of Vaasa/Damara that gets abandoned.
Perhaps the orcs are all deserter that escape via magic and end up in Thesk. Anyone have any ideas here?

2 - Citadel Rashemaar is destroyed. The citadel could actually be destroyed by anything, a rampaging demon, a horde of monsters, a durthan plot, a magical accident.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  18:05:30  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Onto the Tuigan Crusade.

From what i can gather (having never read the novels but read all the sourcebooks that follow and there isnt much in the way of a permanent change to the realms) a big army of horseman rampages across the wastes, enters Faerun, crosses Rashemen and Thay and gets beaten somewhere near Thesk.

The only permanent changes i can think of revolving around this event are.

1 - Lots of orc troops left in Thesk. Not sure how to work this one, its quite specific that the orcs are Zhent troops. So could they have been sent as part of a Zhent attempt to invade somewhere. Perhaps a sea invasion of parts of Thesk and the ships get lost in a storm. Perhaps a land invasion of Vaasa/Damara that gets abandoned.
Perhaps the orcs are all deserter that escape via magic and end up in Thesk. Anyone have any ideas here?

2 - Citadel Rashemaar is destroyed. The citadel could actually be destroyed by anything, a rampaging demon, a horde of monsters, a durthan plot, a magical accident.

3 - Semphar became a satrapy of the Tuigan Khahan.

Also, while not permanent, the lich Ambuchar Devayam took advantage of the weakened state of forces in the area to conquer Ra-Khati, Khazari and a large part of western Shou Lung. Devayam was destroyed in 1362 DR however and I don't think it's mentioned what happened afterward.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 29 Jan 2015 18:09:16
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  20:38:26  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, I forgot about the events on lands other than Faerun.

I'm not sure how permanent a change either of those constitutes though. We never really had any detail about Semphar to know if things changed in that land or not, and in all likelihood they probably just paid an annual tribute to the Khahan and were otherwise left to govern themselves.

Likewise with Shou Lung I think the devastation amounted to another hole in that dragon wall and a couple of thousand dead soldiers.

However any changes in the area that are needed could be easily supplied by reworking Ambuchar Devayam and events surrounding him. He is a likely candidate for amassing an army and causing large amounts of damage and therefore an army of horsemen are likely to gather to try and combat him.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  18:28:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the last stages of the now defunct K-T project on the WotC boards, I had started a 'future (4e) history' projecting the 3e timeline forward, and I had it where Ambuchar Devyam (Tan Chin) returned as Emperor of Shou-Lung - he literally took-over the body of his descendent who was next in line. His title is 'Tan Chin reborn', but most folk don't realize just how true that is.

I re-worked Tu-Lung into a 'three Kingdoms' era type of China knock-off, with the twin heirs dividing the kingdom amongst themselves, and a 3rd warlord (general) using the confusion to declare himself independent (Tu basically reverting to an earlier form in its history).

The Sea Lords of Karatin (Hai-Yuan) rebelled against Tan Chin's rule, and he sent his armies in to quell the rebellion... then they crossed the border and took over a huge swath of norther Tu-Lung (some say he was behind the rebellion in the first place, in order to move his troops into position to strike Tu-Lung!) The two brothers called a temporary truce in order to unite and stop Shou's advance into their lands.

This is how I left it around 1400 - what happened on into the 4e/5e period is anyone's guess, but I would assume Tan Chin is still around. He may even be operating openly as a lich now (there's a whole 'Lo Pan' vibe going on there). I also had some stuff going on in the Island nations, with Kozakura becoming heavilly influenced by foreigners, a'la Japan's Meiji period (when Samurai were outlawed)- guns are on the rise there. Shou, Koryo, and Thay are three of the 'powers' vying for control and trade concessions within Kozakura. In light of these events, Wa has become even more isolationist, except that it has its own interest in Kozakura and is helping the 'old guard' retain some control there (they have a fortress stronghold on the west coast).

So unending war in the south, political maneuvering in the north (islands), and Shou itself being held in a tight grip by a 'dark lord'. Thay as enclaves (NOT "Thaymarts"!) in almost all of these places, and in some cases even sowing unrest where it suits their purposes. Most of the vast Ama Basin is fey (spirit) lands now, and the Endless Wastes are held mostly by Hobgoblin Tribes (the human Tuigan tribes which once ruled them are now ruled-over by them.. the few that are left). Its not common knowledge that Ogre-Magi (Wang-Liang) are secretly ruling behind the scenes. In Tan-Chin's (Ambuchar Devyam) old stomping grounds around the southern Raurin, tribes of Tengu (Eastern Kenku) 'rule the roost', as it were. There influence in the Beastlands (old Veldorn) can be seen in the 4e setting. Thats it in a nutshell - it was a LOT more involved then that, but those are the basics of what I had going on there as 3e wound-down.

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Jan 2015 18:31:24
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  20:30:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well when I get around to the Kara-Tur continent I will be knocking on your door for some ideas.

I like the Ambuchar Devyam lich in charge of Shou-Lung. I might be tempted to have him arrange his own death (didn't a volcano destroy the city he was in) so that he is reincarnated as a new born that is made emperor, after all who would suspect a newborn baby of being a super evil lich.

And if I were ever to use an army of horsemen it would only be if Ambuchar Devyam were manipulating events to his advantage.

But that's way off, I intend to work on Faerun first and remove all the novel and RSE events and put in neutral events that mimic the permanent changes then writeup short regional blurbs for each area (to be focused upon more in indepth regional books).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  23:06:08  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A volcano did destroy Solon, but Tan Chin survived it. It wasn't until the artefact, the Stone Sceptre of Shih, was used against him, that he was destroyed.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2015 :  09:02:52  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well its a long way off working on the Kara Tur stuff but if a volcano cannot kill a pseudo lich then what can.

I'm going to make all the events so that players can take part. So if the players kill Tan Chin then its using the artefact. If not then he blows up the volcano on purpose to kill himself at the exact same time as the next in line is born

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2015 :  09:00:29  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay.

Gonna start work on the regions now and going alphabetically i think the first one is Anauroch.

So i know of one novel series/RSE in this region - Return of the Archwizards.

Are there any others?

I vaguely recall some Harper witch named Ruha being a Bedine and therefore from Anauroch so did she have any novels set in this region?

As for the Return of the Archwizards. The only permanent changes in the Realms that come from this novel that i can see is the arrival of the city of Shade in Anauroch, the destruction of Tilverton, and the escape of the Phaerimm. Is there anything else i'm missing.

I know some people don't rate the events of the novel (me included and i never even read it). So what alternatives do people tend to use? Do they just pretend Shade never returned at all? Do they have Shade return but remain in the shadows and not reveal its presence to the outside world (which makes much more sense to me)?

How do people handle the near extinction of the Phaerimm? Again do they ignore it completely, do they keep it as is (including swords of shadow designed to kill phaerimm in one hit????). Would it matter if the phaerimm remained in Anauroch competing with the Shades but in reduced numbers?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2015 :  11:11:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well here is a first draft on the geography of Anauroch. Let me know if i'm missing anything or have got anything wrong. I've tried to move away from referring to Anauroch as a desert and instead refer to it as a wasteland so as to help solidify the image of Anauroch in readers minds that it contains many different environments.

GEOGRAPHY
The wasteland of Anauroch is split into many different environments, each as harsh and unforgiving as the next and filled with death at every turn.
Around the edges of Anauroch lies a region known as the Desertsedge, a land of rocky foothills dotted with the occasional scrub plant and filled with caves, ravines, and the occasional small stream that plunges into the desert before vanishing into the sands.
The very far north of Anauroch is a massive glacial plain known as the High Ice that towers above the lands about it and is filled with deep crevasses and scoured by icy winds. Its northern edge has not as yet been discovered by explorers and the whole region remains largely unknown.
Just south of the High Ice is a strip of land over 200 miles in width that stretches from west to east and cuts the wasteland of Anauroch in half. It is at a significantly lower elevation than surrounding lands (in places by up to a mile) which gradually descends into the basin filled with frozen sands that by some small mercy are sheltered from the winds that plague the rest of Anauroch. This land is called the Frozen Sea for it was once known as the Narrow Sea that stretched across this region (although history disagrees as to its exact location and direction), now turned into sand by fell magic and frozen.
The central belt of Anauroch, below the Frozen Sea is a land called the Plain of Standing Stones. This plateau rises above the sandy wastes of the Sword that flow around it, and it stands apart from the rest of Anauroch as a rocky plain scoured clean of vegetation by howling winds that never end. The plain is filled with rocky spires, ridges, canyons, crevasses, and bridges, which many believe were formed by the endless winds.
Finally around the edges of the Plain of Standing Stones in a great crescent on Anauroch’s southern side is the typical, scorching, sandy desert that Anauroch is known for and is usually all anyone sees of this dangerous land. This region is known as the Sword and is the only place in the whole region that contains any human settlement. A nomadic tribal people roam this land, but travellers should be wary for they are rarely anymore friendly than the environment or the wildlife.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2015 :  12:54:53  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder should the Stonelands be included in Anauroch or Cormyr.

Geographically it is nearer to Anauroch than Cormyr.

Politically it is claimed by Cormyr.

Its environment was created largely as a result of the fallout of the Anauroch desert and the fall of Netheril.

Plus i think the Stonelands is really where the Phaerimm should have gone for when the Sharnwall fell.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2015 :  15:56:56  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A brief idea for outlining the RSEs and novel events so that you can update the base campaign setting as desired (or leave them out if you want) or just use the novel events.

CAMPAIGN OPTION – THE RETURN OF SHADE
Early in 1372 DR (Year of Wild Magic) an enclave from Netheril returns to Faerûn after a 1,000 year long sojourn into the Plane of Shadow. The Enclave of Shade; then known as Thultanthar, was originally a floating research station ruled by an Arch Mage known as Telemont Tanthul who used it to conduct his research into the nature of Demi-Planes – an area of research hotly disputed by other Arch Mages.
On the eve of Netheril’s destruction, Telemont tore a rift in the fabric of Faerûn and piloted the entire enclave of Thultanthar into the Demiplane of Shadow. Hours later the goddess Mystryl was no more, all magic on Faerûn went wild, and the floating enclaves of Netheril came crashing to the ground.
The rift sealed itself almost completely, leaving the enclave and its people trapped on the growing Demiplane. Sustained by the light emitted by the small tear remaining between Faerûn and the Plane of Shadow, the people of Thultanthar prospered, led ably by their leader; the Archmage Telemont Tanthul.
Over time Telemont delved ever deeper into the secrets of shadow until he became one with it and was reborn as Lord Shadow; the first Shade. He presented himself and his now Shade sons to the growing City of Shade and they have ruled unchallenged ever since; sustained in immortality by the negative energy of the Plane of Shadow.
In 1358 DR magical disruptions across Faerûn caused the rift between Faerûn and the Plane of Shadow to widen, bringing it once again to the attention of Lord Shadow. Agents were sent through the rift to return to Faerûn and gather artefacts to widen the rift to allow the City of Shade to return.
In 1372 those efforts came to fruition and the flying Enclave of Shade burst through the planar barriers bringing it back to Faerûn once more. In doing so it ruptured the Sharn Wall that had kept the Phaerimm; ancient enemies of Netheril, trapped in Anauroch and unleashed them upon an unsuspecting Faerûn.

Important SitesCity of Shade (25000+, Large City): This cylindrical tower like structure was once a single building on a small rock platform less than a hundred metres wide. Its served as a research station for the Arch Mage Telemont Tanthul as he delved into the magical nature of the Planes.
Once stranded on the expanding Plane of Shadow, the Enclave of Thultanthar was forced to take drastic measures to ensure its survival. The only thing keeping it and its inhabitants alive was a ray of light emitted through the rift from Faerûn that kept the shadowy hordes and the draining negative energies at bay.
The light provided warmth, food, protection, and life. But even that would not be enough to sustain the tiny Enclave of Thultanthar in this alien plane. The dead were ground into dust and formed into building blocks and slowly, generation by generation, the enclave grew. Now at over a square mile in area, the Enclave of Shade is a terrifying edifice. Atop this large base is a cylindrical tower many levels high with huge portals along its walls to let in what little light was available on the Plane of Shadow.
Now on the Material Plane once more, this enclave has the appearance of a flying amphitheatre with a great tower at its centre housing the damaged mythallar, the Princes of Shade, and Lord Shadow himself.
Most of the inhabitants of Shade are humans, except for the magical elite that were able to infuse themselves with the essence of the Plane of Shadow to enhance their powers and make them immortal.
Other races lurk among the shadowy recesses of the enclave and in the abandoned places, half-breeds of shadow creatures native to the Plane of Shadow or interloping monsters from that plane that found themselves trapped in Faerûn when the Enclave of Shade returned home.
The Shadow Sea (Replace the Shoal of Thirst): This freshwater inland sea stands eerily tranquil between the Scimitar Spires and the Wall of Fallen Djinn Mountain ranges where once the Hidden Lake existed during the time of Netheril. Formed by the melting of the High Ice and kept in existence by the weather changing magics of the Shadovar, the existence of this sea is playing havoc with the climate of Anauroch and the surrounding lands.
Storm clouds rage far above; although no wind touches the peaceful sea below, kept constantly active by the magic of the arcanists of Shade. Fog rolls across the surface of the sea obscuring it and the activities of the Shadovar from view.
This is to be the centre of the rebirth of Netheril. Already plants and animals are beginning to congregate around the edge of the water. Monsters have also been attracted to this life source in the desert, many of the creatures have come from the mountains and the surrounding areas, but more than a few shadow creatures have dropped from the enclave itself into the inky waters below where many thrive and flourish.

Timeline
-339 DR: The Enclave of Shade enters the Demiplane of Shadow and becomes trapped there
1358 DR: Wild magic across Faerûn causes the planar rift above Anauroch to widen slightly. Lord Shadow sends agents through the rift into Faerûn.
1372 DR: The Enclave of Shade returns to Faerûn above the Shoal of Thirst and using magic creates the Shadow Sea by melting portions of the High Ice and the Frozen Sea.
The Sharn Wall ruptures and Phaerimm begin to escape into the surrounding areas. The majority travel to the Stonelands and begin to leech off the heavily warded network of ruins around Whisper’s Crypt. When that runs out they enslave humanoid tribes to march on their next target.
Cormyr is hit by floods and drought caused by the weather changing magics of Shade on the High Ice. Mercenary units operating in the Stonelands bring reports of a humanoid army amassing in the area. Cormyr mobilises its army to deal with the threat.
Cormyr with elves from Evereska who recognise the threat of the Phaerimm meet the thrall army but soon realise they stand no chance against the ancient evils. The arrival of the Enclave of Shade at the Phaerimm’s back soon evens the odds, although a number of beholders from Ooltul backed up by Phaerimm magic manage to damage the enclave’s mythallar with disintegration rays.
The Phaerimm menace is destroyed, many of the Phaerimm lay dead, the rest are sick or dying because they lack enough magical energy to support them. Those that survive lurk in magical ruins, or insinuate themselves into strong magical realms and areas where they can leech off the energies while keeping their presence a secret.
The Enclave of Shade recovers its forces and leaves as quickly and mysteriously as it arrived, limping back to its home above the Shadow Sea where it levitates several hundred metres from the surface (now unable to alter its distance from the surface thanks to its damaged mythal).

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 11 Feb 2015 15:57:20
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2015 :  10:24:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay i have a bit of quandary.

Myrkul is causing me issues.

If i want to eliminate the Time of Troubles as an event i can explain away the war between two different factions of banites (it was happening anyway). I can explain away the deaths of most Bhaal worshipping assassins in Amn, Tethyr, and Calimshan (the war between the Shadow Thieves, the Dark Dagger, and other thieves/assassins guilds). I can even explain away the death of Tiamat and Gilgeam since they were Untheric deities and therefore spent most of their time in physical form regardless of the Time of Troubles.

What i cant explain away is why a new god of the dead suddenly appears. Now Myrkul never struck me as a particularly good god of the dead. He would have made a great god of undeath since he was all for undead creatures of all kinds, but as a god of the dead he was pretty lax.

So i could go along the lines of Jergal usurping his title and reclaiming his original position. However i dont want to just waive my hands and say "gods did it" because that is such a cop out.

So what i need is a credible reason why Myrkul ends up in the crown of horns and Jergal becomes god of the dead.

I did notice that in 1357 (just before the TOT) Khelben Blackstaff steals the sceptre of the sorcerer kings and rescues Laeral from the Crown of Horns in the same year.

I'm wondering if i could not twist it so that he used the sceptre of the sorcerer kings to remove the Crown of Horns (both are artefacts). So while he did not specifically use the sceptre to banish a deity so the sceptre doesnt split and hide itself across the planes, it did interact with the crown and forced Myrkul into the artefact (after breaking its hold on Laeral) thus making him no longer god of the dead and allowing Jergal to reclaim the title and the power which might naturally revert back to him.

What do people think, credible enough as an alternative?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2015 :  11:08:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well here's what i have for 1357 as a precursor to 1358 DR.

- 1357 DR – Year of the Prince: Luskan invades Ruathym, plundering the island, sinking its navy, and subjugating much of the population.
- The Salamander War: Thay occupies much of the Wizard’s reach using an army of salamanders called from the Plane of Fire. By Flamerule of this year the Salamanders called to Toril by Thay using great portals have rebelled against the Thayans and are fighting against it for control of the Wizard’s Reach.
- King Virdin of Damara dies without issue.
- Maalthiir overthrows the Council of Hillsfar and assumes control of the city.
- The Pharaoh of Mulhorand is assassinated. Horustep III takes the throne at the age of 11.
- A juggernaut of rotting vegetation emerges from beneath the ruins of Yûlash and ploughs through the forest of Cormanthor, creating a cleared highway into the forest, and coming to rest midway between Yûlash and Myth Drannor.
- Khelben “Blackstaff” Arunsun steals the Sceptre of the Sorcerer Kings from the Catacombs of Ordulin (a Harper vault). Using the Sceptre he shatters the bindings of the Crown of Horns, freeing Laeral Silverhand from its curse. The Sceptre is then hidden in the mountains north of Whitehorn and Khelben slowly nurses Laeral back to sanity over the next three years in Blackstaff Tower.
- The Lords’ Alliance negotiates a truce between Luskan and Ruathym when Waterdeep threatens war against Luskan if it does not cease hostilities immediately. Luskan, Ruathym and the islands off the Sword Coast then form the Captain’s Confederation to raid the Sword Coast.
- Pasha Abon Duum of Manshaka disappears mysteriously sparking a territorial war between the Shadow Thieves, the Dark Dagger, and other guilds as everyone tries to fill the power vacuum in Manshaka left by the missing Pasha.
- High Imperceptor Szchulan Darkoon orders an inquisition against the Non-Orthodox faction of Banites in Zhentil Keep led by Fzoul Chembryl. Fzoul Chembryl ejects the inquisition from his temple. The inquisition then set up a rival temple in Zhentil Keep. High Imperceptor Szchulan Darkoon declares Fzoul Chembryl and the Non-Orthodox Banites to be heretics of the faith and a religious war begins between factions of the Church of Bane.

I'm not entirely sure about the bit with Moander creating a road through the forest of Cormanthor as that is part of a novel involving Alias i believe, however i cannot think of an alternative that would cause the road to be constructed that quickly.

However Alias does not have to be the one to awaken the Creeping Evil (or kill it), and it does not have to be an avatar of Moander. Nor does it have to be destroyed it might merely have entered a state of slumber once more thanks to the efforts of the few remaining elves in the elven court or it interacting with some elven wards nearby (or perhaps it just ate a tree that didnt agree with it).

The forces of Zhentil Keep and Hillsfar occupied Yulash a few years prior to this event and the fighting between them could have awoken it. Also Malkizid the Branded King returned to Myth Drannor the previous year so his presence might have something to do with it.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Misereor
Learned Scribe

164 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  12:55:32  Show Profile Send Misereor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay i have a bit of quandary.

Myrkul is causing me issues.

If i want to eliminate the Time of Troubles as an event i can explain away the war between two different factions of banites (it was happening anyway). I can explain away the deaths of most Bhaal worshipping assassins in Amn, Tethyr, and Calimshan (the war between the Shadow Thieves, the Dark Dagger, and other thieves/assassins guilds). I can even explain away the death of Tiamat and Gilgeam since they were Untheric deities and therefore spent most of their time in physical form regardless of the Time of Troubles.

What i cant explain away is why a new god of the dead suddenly appears. Now Myrkul never struck me as a particularly good god of the dead. He would have made a great god of undeath since he was all for undead creatures of all kinds, but as a god of the dead he was pretty lax.

So i could go along the lines of Jergal usurping his title and reclaiming his original position. However i dont want to just waive my hands and say "gods did it" because that is such a cop out.

So what i need is a credible reason why Myrkul ends up in the crown of horns and Jergal becomes god of the dead.

I did notice that in 1357 (just before the TOT) Khelben Blackstaff steals the sceptre of the sorcerer kings and rescues Laeral from the Crown of Horns in the same year.

I'm wondering if i could not twist it so that he used the sceptre of the sorcerer kings to remove the Crown of Horns (both are artefacts). So while he did not specifically use the sceptre to banish a deity so the sceptre doesnt split and hide itself across the planes, it did interact with the crown and forced Myrkul into the artefact (after breaking its hold on Laeral) thus making him no longer god of the dead and allowing Jergal to reclaim the title and the power which might naturally revert back to him.

What do people think, credible enough as an alternative?

Well, according to the deity system I use, Myrkul could have inadvertently done it himself, by neglecting his duties as steward of the dead.

If Myrkul let Jergal take care of that specific duty, it could start a snowball rolling. At first by letting worshippers add a line or two of supplication to Jergal during their prayers for the dead, which could eventually turn into supplication and finally worship, thus depriving Myrkul.

However, Myrkul might not notice at first, since he had Jergal as his proxy (being his servant), thereby splitting the worship between them. Only at a some given point would the worship be directed more at Jergal Steward of the Dead rather than Jergal unimportant lackey of Myrkul. That would be the point at which Jergal supplanted Myrkul (add flavor text here about epic showdown between the two, resulting in Myrkul ending up in the Crown).

<edit>
Does anyone know if the Seven Lost Gods were originally servants of Jergal back when he was first the God of Death?

The Sumerian God Nergal (after whom I assume he is named) had some servants called the ilû sebettu (Seven Gods) who were his agents of death and destruction.

Thus if he reclaimed his place as God of the Death it could possibly cause some upheaval with the remaining two of the Dark Three or the lost members of the Seven.
</edit>

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.

Edited by - Misereor on 25 Feb 2015 13:03:47
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  13:40:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats not a bad idea. However Jergal's writeup mentions that he is almost completely unknown in the realms, and he gave up the position originally because he was unhappy with the role so i cant see him fighting to gain it again, nor can i see the populace believing in him over Myrkul.

I'm not a big fan about the idea of neglecting duties and Ao ruling this or that and smiting down gods. i prefer the organic model whereby a god is only so because enough people believe in him. So as i think you were getting at, if Myrkul ignored his duties as god of the dead then the majority populace of Faerun would have to begin believing in another god as god of the dead in order for him to lose his position.

One problem i always had with Myrkul is that i have never found a temple or priest detailed as being devoted to Myrkul and yet he was a greater god. I get that lots of people send a prayer or two his way to ensure they dont snuff it that day, but i would have expected him to have more of a presence.

Ultimately the goal of the alternate setting is to allow people to play in the realms with all the key events happening so that they can choose which novels and RSE's to include or exclude without having to rewrite vast portions of history. So if you dont include Return of the Archwizards you dont have to explain what happens with Tilverton because it is still destroyed but for a different reason. If you dont have the ToT then you dont have to decide what happens with Bane and Gilgeam etc because Bane's church still fractures and Gilgeam still dies, but for slightly different reasons.

So because Myrkul is confined to the crown of horns post ToT then he needs to be confined in the alternate setting.

Perhaps i shall make it all a deliberate act. The fact that Myrkul enjoys his existence in the crown of horns says to me that he may also have been unhappy as a god (maybe it is something about being once mortal that makes an immortality so unpalatable in the long term). Maybe Khelben used the sceptre to shatter the bindings of the crown of horns and so severed the link between the crown and Jergal. Myrkul then hid himself inside the crown to escape his duties and so that Jergal couldnt then find him.

Whether the replacement god of the dead is Jergal or Kelemvor doesnt matter, you still get new temples arise in places like Ravens Bluff and the clergy are now against undead so the name can be substituted without any bother for those that include ToT as an event.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Misereor
Learned Scribe

164 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  14:52:02  Show Profile Send Misereor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thats not a bad idea. However Jergal's writeup mentions that he is almost completely unknown in the realms, and he gave up the position originally because he was unhappy with the role so i cant see him fighting to gain it again, nor can i see the populace believing in him over Myrkul.

However you do it, the canon is that Jergal does end up as God of the dead, so regardless how well known he is amongst ordinary mortals or his having being fed up with his job, you're gonna have to find a plausible explanation.

However.
The tale of the ascension of The Three says he was tired of his duties, but his duties besides being God of the Dead at the time included all the other duties that the Three would take over. Tyranny, murder, the infliction of death. After he lost those he seems to have been content with his duty as Steward of the Dead, even if it didn't come with a godhood.

So maybe Jergal jumped a the chance to be a god again as long as it only involved being God of the Dead, or maybe he was angry about the portfolio of The Dead being neglected and feeling obligated to take care of it. Whatever the explanation, he ended up with the portfolio rather than the other possible candidates.

The only scenario I don't see as plausible is Jergal taking Myrkul's divinity in a straight up fight. Myrkul would either have to screw up in epic fashion or hand it over willingly. (Neglecting half his portfolio would be such an epic blunder.)

Mystryl/Mystra has supposedly handed over her power several times, and Ao said in the novel Waterdeep that a god's power will wax and wane along with the number of devotion of their worshippers, so there are precedents for both scenarios.

As for the populace believing im him, Jergal did have temples (the Temple outside Westgate for example, which is known by the inhabitants to this day). Besides, if the tales of Myrkul include stories about his followers, champions, and servants, they would already know of him, just not the fact that he was once a god. In our world history, gods have frequently amalgamated or changed names and places. It would see reasonable enough for the Realms to follow the same recipe.

Whatever the explanation, Jergal ended up with the portfolio rather than the other candidates, so his worshippers must have been made familiar with him in one way or another. I personally prefer humanity having a litte retroative familiarity rather than Myrkul appearing with a blast of trumpets and declaring Jergal the new god of the dead or somesuch. I much prefer biological evolution to divine intervention.

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.

Edited by - Misereor on 25 Feb 2015 14:58:19
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  15:03:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It does pose the wider question of why there wasnt more upheaval in Myrkul's church when Cyric and then Kelemvor took over.

Supposedly (according to something in Ed Greenwood presents Forgotten Realms i think) the clergy of Myrkul had attained such a position of fear among the wider populace that they could just wander into a house and take what they wanted without fear of reprisal (and they did so often) for the rumours at the time were anyone laying a hand on the faithful of Myrkul would suffer a painful death soon after.

Being accustomed to that amount of power and freedom and being able to conjure plenty of undead servants would be quite addictive i imagine. So when Cyric ignores the priest of Myrkul and then Kelemvor comes in and suddenly no more undead are allowed and everyone has to behave properly i wonder why there wasnt more of an uproar.

Perhaps it could be a combination scenario. Myrkul takes the opportunity around the Crown of Horns to do a runner. As a result no more spells for the bad guys in the clergy. Unwilling to see the dead unjudged, Jergal steps in and so his own clergy (and a few non evil Myrkulites) suddenly attack the bad Myrkulites driving them out of temples across the land (slaying some) and getting rid of the undead infesting the temples.

To the public the temples are closed for several years (as its inhabitants war with each other and the undead residents) and then begin opening again as the new church of Jergal (or Kelemvor if you use ToT).

No overt god actions (i hate that), Myrkul quietly did a bunk and Jergal quietly performed a coup using his own faithful that previously occupied lesser roles as scribes within the temples.

The people of Faerun only know that over the space of 10 years (1358 - 1368) the temples of Myrkul are closed with skull wearing priests occasionally seen fleeing for their lives, and then they are opened again with the sign "Under new management" placed on the door.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  16:39:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few more entries for the timeline trying to keep them RSE and novel neutral with potential campaign options that people can introduce to play themselves or just use the regular events.

- 1357 DR – Year of the Prince: Luskan invades Ruathym, plundering the island, sinking its navy, and subjugating much of the population.
- The Salamander War: Thay occupies much of the Wizard’s reach using an army of salamanders called from the Plane of Fire. By Flamerule of this year the Salamanders called to Toril by Thay using great portals have rebelled against the Thayans and are fighting against it for control of the Wizard’s Reach.
- King Virdin of Damara dies without issue. The country of Damara descends into civil war as individual dukes and barons attempt to seize control of the country for themselves.
- Maalthiir overthrows the Council of Hillsfar and assumes control of the city.
- The Pharaoh of Mulhorand is assassinated. Horustep III takes the throne at the age of 11.
- A juggernaut of rotting vegetation emerges from beneath the ruins of Yûlash and ploughs through the forest of Cormanthor, creating a cleared highway into the forest, and coming to rest midway between Yûlash and Myth Drannor.
- Khelben “Blackstaff” Arunsun steals the Sceptre of the Sorcerer Kings from the Catacombs of Ordulin (a Harper vault). Using the Sceptre he shatters the bindings of the Crown of Horns, freeing Laeral Silverhand from its curse. The Sceptre is then hidden in the mountains north of Whitehorn and Khelben slowly nurses Laeral back to sanity over the next three years in Blackstaff Tower.
- The Lords’ Alliance negotiates a truce between Luskan and Ruathym when Waterdeep threatens war against Luskan if it does not cease hostilities immediately.
- Pasha Abon Duum of Manshaka disappears mysteriously sparking a territorial war between the Shadow Thieves, the Dark Dagger, and other guilds as everyone tries to fill the power vacuum in Manshaka left by the missing Pasha.
- High Imperceptor Szchulan Darkoon orders an inquisition against the Non-Orthodox faction of Banites in Zhentil Keep led by Fzoul Chembryl. Fzoul Chembryl ejects the inquisition from his temple. The inquisition then set up a rival temple in Zhentil Keep. High Imperceptor Szchulan Darkoon declares Fzoul Chembryl and the Non-Orthodox Banites to be heretics of the faith and a religious war begins between factions of the Church of Bane.
- Campaign Option – Zhengyi the Witch King

- 1358 DR – Year of Shadows: Luskan’s forces are expelled from Ruathym by the Lords’ Alliance. Luskan, Ruathym and the islands off the Sword Coast then form the Captain’s Confederation to raid the Sword Coast.
- Tiamat the Dark Lady attacks an ultimately slays Gilgeam the God King of Unther in a series of battles across Unther and the Plane of Zigguraxis. The Untheric Pantheon is dissolved and Unther descends into chaos.
- The Shadow Thieves of Amn lose the entire Shade Council amid attacks from the Dark Dagger and infighting amongst themselves. The conflict with the Dark Dagger costs the Shadow Thieves almost two thirds of its membership and the organisation undergoes a sweeping reform in response.
- Tan Chin in his guise as Ambuchar Devayam of Solon subjugates a number of Tuigan tribes to supplement his humanoid and undead army.
- Ralan el Pesarkhal murders his way to the position of Sultan of Manshaka.
- All Temples to Myrkul across Faerûn are suddenly closed by magical wards. Screams and explosions can be heard from inside for many months. On occasions battered, skull wearing individuals appear outside the temple and flee into the countryside.
- Campaign Option – The Time of Troubles

- 1359 DR – Year of the Serpent: Tan Chin and his armies attack Khazari and Shou Lung.
- The shattered baronies and dukedoms of Damara come to a tentative truce.
- Manshoon sends Gauntather to usurp control of the cult of Bane in the Moonshae Isles from those loyal to Fzoul.
- The Darkstalker Wars: The Dark Dagger, Shadow Thieves, and Rundeen all vie for control of Calimshan’s shady underworld. During these events Ralan el Pesarkhal murders his way to the position of Syl-Pasha of Calimshan.

- 1360 DR – Year of the Turret: Zhentil Keep’s first foray into Vaasa is cut short when the orc troops supposed to be invading the area desert their positions and head south through Damara and ultimately end up in Thesk.
- Cultists of the Gods of Fury begin arriving on the Moonshae Isles.
- Tan Chin and his army conquer Khazari and parts of the Katakoro Plateau.
- Solon is destroyed by a volcanic eruption and Tan Chin is believed destroyed.
- Campaign Option – The Tuigan Horde

- 1361 DR – Year of Maidens: The Golden Legion are blown off course and arrive in the newly discovered continent of Maztica.
- Orthodox Banites attack the Black Altar forcing Fzoul Chembryl and his loyal followers underground where they encounter Iyachtu Xvim imprisoned in the catacombs.
- Manshoon relocates the Zhentarim headquarters to the Citadel of the Raven while the schismatic churches of Bane war in Zhentil Keep.
- Campaign Option – Discovery of Maztica

Any thoughts so far.

The novel/RSE neutral Damara may be an issue in that we have plenty of details about the region but only as a result of the witch king. Therefore i think a civil war is required that uses the thieve's guild and Tarkos Ree to place the same people in the positions of power that they hold without the Witch King doing it.

Not too sure about Maztica either. It gets discovered and plenty of stuff happens as a result of that which affects the rest of the realms permanently so it needs to occur in alternate and normal realms, maybe just not in the way of the novels. Not sure what to do with this one, i worked on Maztica with Seethyr and my original idea was to completely ignore the novels but then he convinced me to leave them be and so i reworked the justification and inner workings behind the events while leaving them intact so as to make them more credible. Anyone have a suggestion as to the solution here?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Misereor
Learned Scribe

164 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  18:18:52  Show Profile Send Misereor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
...and Jergal quietly performed a coup using his own faithful that previously occupied lesser roles as scribes within the temples.

Like it!
Nice detail. A mostly unnoticed bureaucracy that was already doing the day to day work of the temples. The local citizens probably let out a sigh of relief when the regular priests disappeared, and then proceeded with business as usual.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  20:38:17  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well you made some good points and any event should never be done in total isolation.

Jergal's priests seem like the perfect scribes to go recording deaths and so its natural there would be one in a temple of Myrkul, seemingly unnoticed by all. Then one day you find out that the scribe has teeth.

I think it works well with the existing exchange of power from Myrkul to Cyric to Kelemvor. There were almost no details given about the church of Myrkul following the ToT and on Cyrics part I believe he wholly neglected his duties as god of the dead (one of the reasons for him losing the portfolios related to it). So it stands to reason that he neglected Myrkul's church and most of its clergy left (those that lusted after power).

Then suddenly one day Kelemvor ascends to the position and new temples open (as in Raven's Bluff) and everyone suddenly finds there is a new god of the dead.

So I've swapped that for the Myrkulites being trapped in their own temples while the Jergalites impose their new regime, clear out the catacombs of undead, change all the décor, get the books in order, make sure all the dead have been properly recorded, etc. Then ten years later they open the doors and announce Jergal as the new god of the dead.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2015 :  15:52:52  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About Jergal, will you include the hints at him having more ambitious, sinister intentions, hinted at in the Knucklebones, skull bowling, and the empty throne, and fully developed in the conversion of the Age of Worms campaign to Forgotten Realms, by Eric L. Boyd.

http://paizo.com/dungeonissues/130/DA130_Supplement_H.pdf

The part that tells the most about Jergal.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2015 :  16:01:31  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably not. At the moment im just working on a bare bones campaign setting that removes all the novels and RSEs, while at the same time keeping key events the same (the permanent death of individuals or destruction of cities, etc) so that everyone can operate in the 1358 - 1375 timeline without having to change anything (i.e. if you dont do the time of troubles then zhentil keep still falls, the church of bane still fractures, Fzoul Chembryl still becomes ultimate leader of the zhentarim and the church of bane) because the same events occur but with different reasoning behind it.

After that i'll then work on interactive versions of the novels and RSEs so that you can play through them and be the heroes rather than hear about other characters taking all the glory and saving the day.

I might include a few of my own rewrites for areas, particularly those whose only lore comes from novels and RSEs (Moonshae and Damara spring to mind) because by removing the novel you then remove all lore about them. But thankfully i've already worked on these areas quite a bit and created an alternative that is almost entirely unlike the original, and yet quite similar.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2015 :  16:45:18  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a bit sad, as Jergal made an awesome antagonist in my home campaign, and I liked Eric L. Boyd's version of the Age of Worms better than the original. Still, this is your version of the campaign setting.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2015 :  16:49:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I try and keep the gods out of my game as much as possible. The churches are in it big time and they have a huge role in regions and adventures. But the gods themselves take no direct action unless someone requests an avatar for some dire need.

There isnt really enough on Jergal in the realms for me to come to a conclusion about what his goals or indeed his origin might be (beyond cataloguing the death of everything).

Although saying that i havent read the article you mentioned and i probably should.

He makes a fitting if reluctant god of the dead, and so if you dont follow the time of troubles it seems a good fit to make him Kelemvor's replacement. Beyond that i havent any thoughts at the moment (although give me a few days and i'll read that supplement and see what my brain concocts).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page