Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Foster System in the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  22:27:25  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Weird question but I've been watching the Fosters while looking for inspiration for the side story I'm writing about 2 NPCs that were adopted my character's family/extended NPC cast.

I'm just wondering who actually organises Fostering, adoption, kids being put into home etc. would it tend to be done through religious orders, official bodies(this is set in Waterdeep) etc.?

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  22:49:22  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Temples in the Realms handle a big portion of this. They also take in the maimed and half-wits.
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  23:18:09  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which in particular?

My character's mother gave her older sister up for adoption after fleeing to Waterdeep and becoming a courtesan with a Sune funded theatre. She ended up with a branch of the Ruldegost family.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  23:38:19  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about officially, but I would love to see Ilmatar have a hand in this. It seems right up the alley of his clergy.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  23:49:11  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ilmater, Chauntea, and Lathander come to mind when I think of prime candidates. I don't remember specific faiths being mentioned. I took that to mean they all follow the practice more or less.

Edited by - Eilserus on 23 Oct 2014 23:49:34
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  03:54:14  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe it's said to be widespread among temples, if anything because taking up children and some desperate people is a prime source of converts and future priests.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447

Edited by - Mapolq on 24 Oct 2014 03:54:40
Go to Top of Page

rangerstranger
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  12:46:03  Show Profile Send rangerstranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to echo what Mapolq has said and say that a large number of clergy and staff of various temples are or were orphans. Most often when I am playing a priest, or paladin even, I have their background be that of an orphan.

As for who organizes these orphanages I'd guess that it would mostly be temples but in larger cities I could see the government of said city fund and possibly even run the orphanage.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  14:01:22  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It clearly could be possible a few military would have an adoption program as well. The more war phone humans and I would imagine many demi-humans (orcs for example?).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  14:30:19  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember that in the Champions of Valor sourcebook was written that the church of Selune would take any foundling (thieflings, strange hybrids and lycantropes were said to be taken in as children and raised) .
Go to Top of Page

Lyiat
Seeker

91 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  14:32:51  Show Profile Send Lyiat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

It clearly could be possible a few military would have an adoption program as well. The more war phone humans and I would imagine many demi-humans (orcs for example?).

I imagine orcs have a more communal raising thing. Orcs wouldn't have individual parents; they'd be taken from their mother's breast pretty much at birth and raised by the tribe as a whole. In a way, they'd all be "orphans".

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you." ~ Minsc

Edited by - Lyiat on 24 Oct 2014 14:35:22
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  18:31:15  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about an equivalent of Santa Meurte? Just back from the Book of Life and enjoyed it a lot, but what they missed out on is that Santa Meurte is generally the folk saint/goddess of the downtrodden, especially LGBT people, sex workers etc. which really really fits with the character I have in mind since she's "Spanish" and looks after Courtesans.

She also presides over love so it seems pretty ideal. I can imagine her having associations with both Ilmatar and Sune.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000