Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ed Greenwood's original (pre-TSR) Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mercurius
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  16:11:42  Show Profile Send Mercurius a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,
I'm new here. I asked this question some months back on EN World, but never got around to registering and asking it here. This is borne mainly out of curiosity and an interest in the Realms as inspiration for my own world building.

My question is this: Is there much information out there about what Mr. Greenwood's Forgotten Realms looks like, without the influence of others? What did it look like circa 1987, and what does it look like now in his own game (assuming he still runs a campaign in the Realms?). Are there any maps out there? All I know is that the Moonshaes and Bloodstone Lands were later editions. Beyond that, I have no idea.

I know there's the Dalelands map in Elminster Presents, which looks pretty much like the published version. I've also seen this map, but you can't really make out anything:

http://anthonylarme.tripod.com/dnd/dndjeffgrubb.html

Anything else out there? Has someone (hopefully) done the leg work and put together all known info on EG's Forgotten Realms?

Thanks!

Edited by - Mercurius on 23 Oct 2014 16:13:02

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  16:17:43  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met Mercurius!

Ed himself answers questions here on Candlekeep, including questions about his home game, through The Hooded One (one of the players in those games). You can find the most recent answers here.

I don't know if anyone outside of his home game is specifically working on what you're asking about, but there's 10 years of responses to read through and there are several references to events and persons in the home game that don't appear in published products.

You're welcome to ask Ed, in that thread, about anything you want... just bear in mind that he's insanely busy and it might take a while for him to get back to you. And some things are restricted by nondisclosure agreements.

Sometimes other questions will get answered immediately... don't get impatient. His answers are always worth the wait.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 23 Oct 2014 16:25:03
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  16:36:00  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may also ask here (http://theedverse.com/) in the comments section. It's his personal website, and he answers questions there as well.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Mercurius
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  16:49:12  Show Profile Send Mercurius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks folks. I dropped a question into that thread, so we'll see if I get a reply.

As a side question, does anyone know whether the Dalelands or the Sword Coast were the "main" region of Ed's campaigns? I take it both played a large part, but I guess I'm curious if his campaign(s) were more centered in one or the other.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  17:14:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mercurius

Thanks folks. I dropped a question into that thread, so we'll see if I get a reply.

As a side question, does anyone know whether the Dalelands or the Sword Coast were the "main" region of Ed's campaigns? I take it both played a large part, but I guess I'm curious if his campaign(s) were more centered in one or the other.

My impression is that it depended on the campaign.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  18:26:46  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
His first group, The Company of Crazed Venturers, concentrated mostly on the Sword Coast, especially in Waterdeep. The other main group, the Knights of Myth Drannor, were primarily based in the Dalelands, Moonsea and Cormanthor Forest and claimed a home in Shadowdale.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  18:45:17  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd pay big money to get my hands on the maps Ed has drawn. Even if they were only digital maps, scans of his originals etc.

I recall THO or Ed mentioning 8 page Dalelands (or was it just one Dale?) maps, hundreds of miles of underdark beneath Shadowdale, Citadel Felbarr and I'm sure there's a ton of others I'm forgetting and/or don't even know about.

Ahhh to dream a dream.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000