Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Thoughts for a Warlock Ogre Mage (3.5)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2014 :  18:01:48  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey all

I'm going to be running a one-off game soon and while I have the overall concept down, I'm looking for some thoughts, feedback, opinions, etc for an idea I've had.

For the session's BBEG, I had originally thought to use a human Hexblade/Warlock, using the Eldritch Blade PrC (here: http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Eldritch_Blade_%283.5e_Prestige_Class%29).

I decided I'd rather try something a wee bit different and thought of an Ogre Mage, but stripping out it's standard array of spell-like abilities (most or all) and making something a little different (mostly just because it seems fun).

I still wanted to keep its arcane influences, and thought Warlock would be an interesting take. Now, it could be just as simple as adding class levels to the Ogre Mage while nerfing and/or removing some (or all) of its default spell-like abilities...but that seemed a touch plain.

So, I thought I'd pick the brains and sample the scroll racks of the scribes hereabouts. :) I'd like to hear your thoughts, opinions, suggestions, anything really, about creating a nifty Ogre Mage variant.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2014 :  19:02:40  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd think giging the ogre mage a signiture weapon and some favorite spells goes a long way in characterizing a BBEG. I am fond of tetsubo's (greatclubs) for ogremages, fitting in with their oriental oni-vibe (if you want to go for that).

Giving it a reach weapon might be very advantageous, especially in combination with hideous blow invocations (avoiding the AoO when just in reach, casting it defensively when adjacent if needed) and combat reflexes.

Also fun is building a glaivelock, utilizing eldritch glaives to make melee touch attacks that can combine with curses and/or AoO's.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2014 :  19:18:26  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome ideas, Bladewind.

I'm looking to make this fellow a tad more reliant on his Warlock abilities than straight up melee (glaivelock/hideous blow), and utilizing his charismatic nature to have underlings doing much of the melee fighting.

I do intend to use your testubo-equipped idea though. Has a very cool monstrous yojimbo vibe to it that I would love to use.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2014 :  19:46:38  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ever read the Bloodwalk novel? It featured a cool fight against an ogre mage mercenary.

I get the idea that your ogre magi enemy would make a good leader of a clan of monks and rogues, perhaps order of the long death for some macabre realms flavor?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2014 :  20:46:15  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Ever read the Bloodwalk novel? It featured a cool fight against an ogre mage mercenary.

I get the idea that your ogre magi enemy would make a good leader of a clan of monks and rogues, perhaps order of the long death for some macabre realms flavor?

Haven't read Bloodwalk. I'll check it out.

This ogre mage (Rogath is his name) currently commands a group of mercenaries that are kidnapping people and using them as slave labour in an "archeological dig".

This merc group is one of several conducting these types of digs across Toril. They are digging at sites rumoured to hold psionic artifacts. The whole of it is being controlled by a cabal of Thayan psions, whose intent is to achieve parity with their arcane peers in Thay (supplanting them being the eventual, very long term goal). The artifacts are not absolutely required for these goals, but "every little bit helps".

Since this is a one-off, the game will revolve around the PCs being sent in to rescue the kidnapped and put an end to the threat this one dig site represents to the town/city/village in question (how they choose to end the threat is left to them to determine).

While I'm keeping things simple and straight-forward overall, I want to have a little fun with some of the baddies, including Rogath, to give a little variety for the PCs to encounter and a little flavour for myself.

-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2014 :  22:28:18  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds pretty nice. Perhaps the slaves are psionically controlled throughout the bottom of the dig site to dig, with some even puppeteered against the PC's (good moral dilemma in combat). Cool to iclude a Psionic Pillar (or two) that amplify the psionic ability of the psions, but can be strategically shattered by clever PC's.

Perhaps the oni has alot of invocations that produce charm or dominate-like effects that similarly is boosted at the site because of some artifact he unearthed.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2014 :  03:19:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I'd let the ogre mage keep his current abilities (the darkness and invisibility at will are perfect). I'd also have the ogre mage have a partner who is a pact magic user (i.e. binder or maybe a soul weaver if you use the rules from secrets of pact magic).... maybe even an anima mage.... with the improved binding feat, they could go 1 level warmage or dread necromancer and 1 lvl binder then go into anima mage. They could then wear armor and cast, and fit them out with some equipment to increase their dex and they could be pretty decent AC. Using a two handed reach weapon if someone gets close and maybe an animated shield.... but then hurling spells for range.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2014 :  03:22:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and actually, now that I think on it.... if a class advances arcane spellcasting, then it can advance warlock. Since the ogre mages natural spellcasting would qualify his arcane requirements for anima mage.... you could in theory do a anima mage that is warlock/binder. Not sure if I'd like that build as much though.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2014 :  10:19:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, as long as you're doing it, it could be interesting to have some other ogre mages with twists like having gish-type classes. For instance, they could enter spellsword (for say 3 levels) pretty readily with a level in fighter and a level in wizard, then go into eldritch knight.... and be running around with say a suit of blended quartz full plate (or mithril full plate with twilight) and an animated githcraft mithril shield. If you're looking into psionics having some ogre mage that's either gone psion or psychic warrior would also fit (because ogre mage wisdom bonus is pretty good too). Hell, for that matter, having an ogre mage straight up priest would be pretty awesome as well(especially given that they regenerate, so his focus could be less on healing and more on buffing). These guys might all be lower level than your main ogre magi, but it would be enough to distract the party so that they don't know which big baddie to go gang up on.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000