Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 4E and it's Draconomicons
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lyiat
Seeker

91 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2014 :  06:22:02  Show Profile Send Lyiat a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The 4e draconomicons changed some things about dragons around, including the apparent "goodness" of metallic dragons to a more aloof neutral. How cannon are these changes to the realms? Are the new added dragons, like Purple, Grey, Mercury, and Orium, wandering around Faerun?

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you." ~ Minsc

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2014 :  08:42:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 4e Realms campaign books really didn't elaborate all that much on how the dynamics of alignments and/or "variant dragons" for dragonkind worked in the post-Spellplague era.

I'd say it's probably easiest to extrapolate from what we knew of stuff like variant dragon types and alignments among Realms dragons, from previous sources like Dragons of Faerūn, and go with what works for your own campaign.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2014 :  09:54:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Realms has room for anything - as long as you provide an appropriate justification/reason in the lore. I find that 'magic' works well for most everything!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2014 :  13:42:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed has always maintained that non-humans are NON-HUMAN. He has also maintained that in The Realms there really isn't any 'black & white', just a billion shades of grey. Thus, every human isn't 100% bad or good - they react differently depending upon the situation. Now apply that to the unknowable, alien nature of non-humans and it gets magnified a million-fold.

Thus, the Realms are NOT made-up of 'good' and 'bad' people/creatures, but rather, a plethora of individuals, each with their own agenda. How can something as powerful and unique as a dragon be anything other then 'complicated'? Metallic dragons have killed 'good' people because its served its purposes, and chromatic dragons occasionally help people, for their own mysterious reasons.

Reading some of Ed's Dragon articles is a good start; there really is no such thing as a 'good' or 'bad' dragon... it all depends on what mood you catch them in... and how useful you are.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Oct 2014 13:43:01
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2014 :  13:56:46  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or how tasty you are

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2014 :  19:07:19  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Put very simply 4e designers didn't see much point in having a plethora of good monsters for PCs *not* to fight, so they made some of them less good.

This would work well in Eberron where most dragons are aloof and relatively neutral but not so much in the Forgotten Realms where non-good metallic dragons are in the minority (though they do indeed exist in significant (in terms of dragons) numbers).

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2014 :  19:14:11  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found 4e's way of handling alignment pretty good on the role play side, but its mechanics (or lack there off) were a little too drastic of a departure from previous lore. The Unaligned alignment is far easier to convey than the awkward true neutral one, for example.

But emphasizing dragons inflated egos is a nice way to keep even encounters with 'goodly' metallic dragons appropriately tense. Interacting with a hungry 12 ton winged firebreathing lizard should be scary, no matter the color of its scales.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2014 :  19:47:52  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lyiat

The 4e draconomicons changed some things about dragons around, including the apparent "goodness" of metallic dragons to a more aloof neutral. How cannon are these changes to the realms? Are the new added dragons, like Purple, Grey, Mercury, and Orium, wandering around Faerun?

If I'm not mistaken, a lot of dragons were added during 3E's run too like Gem dragons. So I'm assuming that there's a good chance all the 4E ones are there too.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2014 :  21:11:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Lyiat

If I'm not mistaken, a lot of dragons were added during 3E's run too like Gem dragons. So I'm assuming that there's a good chance all the 4E ones are there too.

Pretty sure most of those date back to 2E, actually. If there is one thing that has never been in short supply in this game, it's flavors of dragons and their kin.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  03:38:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, yeah, gem dragons were introduced in 2e. Or, at least, that's as far back as I can recall ever first finding info about them and then wanting to desperately include them in one of my games.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  05:00:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Oh, yeah, gem dragons were introduced in 2e. Or, at least, that's as far back as I can recall ever first finding info about them and then wanting to desperately include them in one of my games.

... The sad thing is, he put including gem dragons on his To-Do List... So he's still not gotten to it!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  09:34:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

... The sad thing is, he put including gem dragons on his To-Do List... So he's still not gotten to it!

Funnily enough, it did take me over a year to finally work a gem dragon into my campaign, so...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000