Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The case of the broken Drizzt
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  01:55:02  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message
Dagger + Longsword = Shortsword. Brilliant. Why did no halfwit figure this out before?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  02:13:20  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Your theoretical antagonist is missing the ability to stun onlookers by flexing the pecs of the most transcendent body to walk Faerun.

Like this?

Xal's Pecs Seducing Sune and Sharess.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  02:19:43  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message
Sadly, I cannot get the love song to play, but I'm sure it makes it funnier, if that's possible.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 26 Oct 2014 02:20:35
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  02:35:05  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message
quote:

Sadly, I cannot get the love song to play, but I'm sure it makes it funnier, if that's possible.

Hm. Not sure why it is not working. It works fine in both Chrome and Firefox for me. Too bad. It is hilarious. Here are the lyrics that are sung by a Barry White sound-alike:

Admit it, baby, you're out of control
So you better surrender to the Love Patrol!
Love Patrol
No possibility of parole
Confess, confess to the heart that you stole
You're under arrest... from the Love Patrol!
Love Patrol
Love Patrol

The song is stuck in my head now.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  02:36:37  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message
Barry White, no less. Priceless.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Xal Valzar
Learned Scribe

Argentina
214 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  02:46:46  Show Profile Send Xal Valzar a Private Message
no a dagger and longsword does not make a long sword, its one sword that is a dagger and a longsword attached together. there is a c shape where they meet. the handle is not vertical but perpendicular to the blade. the sword allows to catch the opponents blade and disarm it by twisting it. the unique shape and handle allow for easy disarming maneuvers and easy acces to grapple.

do you get it? i have a drawing of it if it helps.

Knowledge is Power
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  03:01:45  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message
Delete. Forget it. Dono why I bother.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 26 Oct 2014 03:05:20
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  03:01:54  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Xal Valzar

exchange idea??? i did not hear any idea being uttered here other then me. only the authoritarian commandments of: though shall not be a mary sue AND though shalt have mercy upon your enemies.

i dont know how you exchange ideas but it seems that u demand that someone will think that his idea is not right before he enters an argument. or think it is right but not act like he is for some reason.

Please, show us the parts of this discussion where people here ''commanded'' you to do what you mentioned.

We gave you plenty of reasons to explain how the matter of mercy is not as trivial as you make it to be, we even showed you some extreme or illogical consequences of yor thinking, but you didn't try to prove them wrong by offering a logical reasoning. Instead, for each point presented, you simply dismissed it by repeating something along the lines of ''they were defeated by/''stood idle'' in front of evil, so they are not men and thus deserving of being exterminated'' over and over as an absolute fact, without even bothering to explain why -in the context given- this should be true (and directly or indirectly insulting everyone who was not in agreement with you in the process).

This is not debating, but outright trolling, especially when applied to ''hot'' topics.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 26 Oct 2014 03:04:01
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  04:23:38  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
What an exemplary Realms discussion you're having here guys.

Alaundo himself ought to replace the Introduction to Candlekeep with the contents of this scroll, since it seems to exemplify better than anything else what the forums are all about these days.

Also, a big shout out to our lone moderator (since we seem to have only one moderator anymore at Candlekeep) for having the good sense to let this scroll remain open for so long, so everyone--regulars, lurkers and newbies--can get the full benefit of what it has to offer.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 26 Oct 2014 04:32:43
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  05:42:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Please stop feeding the troll. Please.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  06:09:33  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

What an exemplary Realms discussion you're having here guys.

Alaundo himself ought to replace the Introduction to Candlekeep with the contents of this scroll, since it seems to exemplify better than anything else what the forums are all about these days.

Also, a big shout out to our lone moderator (since we seem to have only one moderator anymore at Candlekeep) for having the good sense to let this scroll remain open for so long, so everyone--regulars, lurkers and newbies--can get the full benefit of what it has to offer.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Irony limit exceeded: fatal exception error, infinite loop generated.

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Please stop feeding the troll. Please.

Which one? You'll need to specify.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 26 Oct 2014 06:10:50
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  07:07:45  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Eltheron, trying to get the fight started again doesn't help.

If you have something to get off your chest, then man up and PM me.

Otherwise it's just more worthless internet drama.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 26 Oct 2014 07:19:47
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  07:20:34  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message
Jeremy -

It must be lonely way up there on that high horse.

You come into this thread and pretend to be above the fray, but every time you have posted in this thread you have launched an indirect attack against Wooly. Not to mention the fact that you have condescended down to everyone else in the thread.

To top it all off, you know what you are asking for is not going to work. This is what the third or forth thread Xal has caused to be locked? Xal has asked to be banned from Candlekeep on multiple occasions. Multiple people, including myself, have asked Wooly to ban Xal as well--giving him exactly what he is asking for, and for some reason Wooly has refused to do that.

Now we are fighting among each other, thanks a lot for that, and I am sure Xal is getting off on it. Every thread he gets locked is a victory for him. The issues faced in this thread with him are simply going to transfer from here to another thread, and they are going to continue for as long as he is here. Short of changing who he is, what he believes, and how he acts and treats others on this forum--the problem is going to continue.

I have bitten my tongue so very hard to avoid completely eviscerating this idiot, and I do not appreciate it that you attempted to create a false equivalence between everyone here in this thread and Xal. Especially when every single post you have made in this thread is an indirect attack against Wooly who literally has nothing to do with this outside the fact that he has not yet banned the idiot.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  07:39:15  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick

It must be lonely way up there on that high horse.
Don't be an asshole, Aldrick.

quote:

I have bitten my tongue so very hard to avoid completely eviscerating this idiot, and I do not appreciate it that you attempted to create a false equivalence between everyone here in this thread and Xal.
When George asked people not to feed the troll, he knew what he was talking about.

There is no false equivalence. When it comes to trolling games, you're either part of the problem or part of the solution.

If you feed the troll at all, the troll wins.

If you don't feed the troll, the troll withers and dies.

quote:

Especially when every single post you have made in this thread is an indirect attack against Wooly who literally has nothing to do with this outside the fact that he has not yet banned the idiot.
Bullshit.

My displeasure with the moderation should be obvious. That goes for Sage and Wooly, because they're both responsible for 1) letting Xal stick around, and 2) for letting this thread remain unlocked when the regular scribes can't help but take Xal's bate, thus perpetuating the problem.

Wooly and Sage aren't responsible for the fact that a handful of scribes have a taste for drama, but there's nothing stopping them from handing out temporary bans and/or locking every single scroll where the drama kicks in until people get the point.

This is something they're unwilling to do, which is why we have the situation we have now.

Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  08:27:15  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message
Jeremy Grenemyer -

I beg to differ about the false equivalence, but that is neither here nor there. It is irrelevant at this point.

No, what really pissed me off was the fact that you thought you had the right to call me (and other scribes) out. You want to act like you are above the fray, but then you step into the middle of the arena and start tossing elbows with your condescending remarks. If that makes me an asshole for pointing it out, then so be it. I will be an asshole.

The truth of the matter is that you could have accomplished everything you wanted by simply PMing either Sage, Wooly, or both. You did not, because you wanted to come here, show your public displeasure, and condescend to the other scribes. Then you expect... what exactly? No response?

Look Jeremy, I do not have any issues with you. I am not being an asshole. You decided to take it upon yourself to call me out publicly (along with a number of other scribes here), and I decided to return the favor. If you do not want that to happen, then it is probably best not to do what you did again.

My recommendation for you is that in the future when you have issues with a thread, is for you to PM the mods rather than making a condescending post on the forums about it. This is not the first time you have done this, and you are making it a habit. It makes you look like a condescending prick. I do not know if that is how you want to come off, but that is how you are coming off. If that is what you are going for, then well... I suppose you should just keep doing it. It is working.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  09:28:10  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
:SIGH:

quote:

I beg to differ about the false equivalence, but that is neither here nor there. It is irrelevant at this point.
On the contrary, it's precisely the problem..

If nobody responds to Xal, he will either stop posting, or start posting constructively because that's the only avenue left to him to get a response.

Those are the facts, Aldrick. It's really that simple.

quote:

No, what really pissed me off was the fact that you thought you had the right to call me (and other scribes) out.
There is a huge difference between condescension and criticism. The way you behave, you make it seem as though you've never once been yelled at by one of your peers for being out of line.

Understand: when a scribe calls another scribe out, that's not condescension. Automatically assuming otherwise, which is what you appear to be doing, closes you off from feedback.

Just because we're on the internet doesn't mean regular social rules don't apply, either.

quote:

You want to act like you are above the fray, but then you step into the middle of the arena and start tossing elbows with your condescending remarks.
This is the problem with letting your imagination get in the way of reality.

I can't argue with your imagination, just like you can't see into my mind to determine what my motivations were for posting. Your opinion as to why I posted, as well as your emotional response to it, isn't nearly as important as my reasons for posting, which is the fact that this scroll was left to run way too long, to the detriment of the forum space, and everyone who decided that responding to Xal was better than leaving it alone was contributing to the problem.

quote:

If that makes me an asshole for pointing it out, then so be it. I will be an asshole.
I called you an asshole because you started off by insulting me.

quote:

The truth of the matter is that you could have accomplished everything you wanted by simply PMing either Sage, Wooly, or both.
No, because I wanted people to be aware that they were behaving like jerks and they weren't talking about the Realms.

And yes, PMing the mods is generally the way to go, but if things don't change, then speaking up in thread is the only avenue left.

quote:

You did not, because you wanted to come here, show your public displeasure, and condescend to the other scribes.
Fixed that for you.

quote:

Then you expect... what exactly? No response?
Oh believe me, I'm not surprised somebody had to step in an act offended. I'm also not surprised that Eltheron dropped by for a little personal harassment with a side of stalking. Not the first time it's happened and it won't be the last, I'm sure.

quote:

Look Jeremy, I do not have any issues with you. I am not being an asshole. You decided to take it upon yourself to call me out publicly (along with a number of other scribes here), and I decided to return the favor. If you do not want that to happen, then it is probably best not to do what you did again.
Forums spaces work best through moderation and peer pressure. That means regular forum members talking to other regulars, and sometimes calling them out.

When dealing with forum members who troll--especially if the mods refuse to ban them--the correct response is to ignore the troll.

The incorrect response is ganging up on the person and fighting with him or her, no matter how annoying they are being.

That the mods elected to let this happen repeatedly turns that behavior into a form of cyberbullying and harassment.

Yes, Xal showed up for more, but that doesn't make the responses he received in any way appropriate.

quote:

It makes you look like a condescending prick.
I don't care if you think I'm a prick. I don't care that you have a problem with how I get my message across either.

Your behavior in this scroll is deplorable and you should know better. Period.

What matters is whether or not you have anything approaching an awareness of what's going on in the thread and why it needs to stop. How you can possibly think that anything you posted in response to Xal contributes to the forum space is beyond me.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 26 Oct 2014 09:37:05
Go to Top of Page

Lyiat
Seeker

91 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  09:33:36  Show Profile Send Lyiat a Private Message
quote:

Dagger + Longsword = Shortsword. Brilliant. Why did no halfwit figure this out before?

It's called a dagger crossguard. They existed and didn't work. It's a stupid idea.

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you." ~ Minsc
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  11:25:13  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message
*chuckles*

All I'm saying is that good aligned humans have had to resort to orc genocides for thousands of years just to hold on to the lands they inhabite. Many kingdoms have been wiped from history by orc hordes that proved stronger than their military defence. The amount of bad blood in conflicts between orcs and other humanoid races runs deep. This makes them angreed upon 'monsters' in the common public view in Faerun. Exceptions on this view are common place too, though.

In most cases when a cormyrean patrol encounters an orc camp I expect them to sabotage it, and scatter the remaining noncombatants, chase them off and capture as many as they can. Forcing a camp to relocate is usually the most likely outcome if the commander of the force is a humane type. The time it takes for the orcs to gather again and threaten cormyrean citizens could well be over a few human generations.

I bet there are many tragic stories of orc women being held captive, or orc children being adopted by some old officer that ended up in bloodshed. This has propably led to people not liking to take orc prisoners. When trying to absorb orcs into common life the language barriers are highly problematic, as few orcs speak common, and learning them new languages takes alot of patience and strength, espacially from the mentor.

A good aligned hero is never limited to only one solution when confronted with evil. Thats the whole point of being good. 'Vanquishing' evil is just in style during most of the zeitgeist adventurers live in. Most commoners (who are typically neutral by the way) don't ask about the inherent morally questioable acts performed by the cormyrean patrol that did slaughter the orc women and children, and hail them as heroes on return. That captain is probably out of favor with his superiors if he reports his actions and if he was a paladin he'd have fallen. But the people hail them as heroes nonetheless.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  13:58:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
One person being disagreeable is not sufficient reason to close a thread. If it was, there would a much larger number of locked threads, here.

Similarly, being disagreeable is not sufficient cause for banning. If it was, our population would take a significant hit. I WILL NOT ban someone without just cause; more than one person remains active here because I don't reach for the banhammer without clear violations of the Code of Conduct.

While I will agree that this thread has gone on more than long enough, it's only this latest round of drama that gives me sufficient cause to close it.

I'm going to note, though, that I have not had a single person -- not one -- send me a PM advising to close this thread. Think on that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000