Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The case of the broken Drizzt
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Lyiat
Seeker

91 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  08:42:14  Show Profile Send Lyiat a Private Message  Delete Topic
Drizzt Du'Orden has been always considered a Ranger, first and foremost. However, as of 5e, Rangers get spells as of second level. So.. what exactly would Drizzt's character sheet look like now?

The thing that makes the most sense would be Ranger 1/ Fighter X with the Battle Master Archetype (Two Weapon fighting specialty, of course). Perhaps give him a few levels in Barbarian to represent the Hunter personality. Thoughts?

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you." ~ Minsc

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  13:57:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I have always considered Drizzt 'unique'. He somehow replaced his normal Ranger spells for keeping his Drw powers on the surface (something that mattered back in 1e/2e, but now, not so much). I assume this was somehow granted by Mielikki, since he is her only Drow Ranger (that we know of).

In other words, in 3e terminology (because I am still unfamiliar with 5e, even though I am running it), I consider nearly every 'novel character' to have a unique prestige class. Thats a very convenient way of sweeping all the continuity problems under the rug.

So what class is he? The Driz-Zit class, of course.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Oct 2014 13:59:01
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  15:35:44  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
Which is amusing, since Drizzt was the cause of another bug/atavism in Ranger class.

If we are to model the description, he should be considered Fighter (Weapon Master) back in the town, then /Barbarian (rages and all the survival stuff) in Underdark, then /Ranger.
3e allows sequential multiclassing, and so does 5e.
AD&D2 doesn't - unless you home-rule away at least race limitation for dual classes.

So yes, to have it fit on Drizzt without parts sticking out, multiclass him all the way, and set Ranger level low enough, moving all relevant skills to Barbarian levels if possible - why not?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  15:55:25  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message
Dude isn't even much of a ranger. Fighter/Barb/Ranger/Dervish seems reasonably appropriate.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  16:23:39  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
I think Drizzt demonstrates why it's a bad idea to tie game rules and novel characters together. Characters should be developed through their history. Each character has a unique set of circumstances, and a unique skillset makes sense... for a novel. Balance against other characters in each scene may (or may not) be important, but there's no particular reason for Bob to be concerned with what Drizzt's D&D class/level would be, or how well he's balanced against wizards, rogues, clerics, and paladins. He's just concerned with making an iconic hero, and that's all about personality and thoughts. His ability scores and feats aren't important.

In D&D, however, personality is icing on the cake and stories are wholly the responsibility of players and DMs. The required ingredients of every character are ability scores and class and race and feats and backgrounds and all the stuff that's in the rule books. Your half-orc barbarian must be no more powerful than a gnome paladin or a dwarf warlock, because if there's one right answer to the munchkin's dilemma of which combination to play then the game becomes less fun for everyone.

So, personally, I think translating novel characters into game terms should be an exercise in frustration, and developing novel characters from a character sheet is a huge mistake.

Edit: Sorry if this comes off like it's aimed at Lyiat or anyone else here. I replied initially because there's a history of official products and Dragon articles which list novel characters with their game classes and levels, and it's inspired a whole genre of X versus Y threads about characters from entirely different novels (and some of those threads get annoying/tedious/flamehappy) and the whole problem could have been avoided by promoting the idea that characters in novels are built with a story in mind, rather than built from the game rules. Because if we're going to build novel characters from the rules, then we have to rewrite those stories every time the game rules change. So... that's where my snark is supposed to be directed.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 17 Oct 2014 16:37:49
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  16:32:29  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message
Pretty much this.

Statswise, Errtu would have splattered Drizzt all over northern Faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  17:45:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
xaeyruudh has a valid point. The issue is that novel characters are often not statted by their writers, and even if they are, sometimes the plot is a higher concern than adherence to game rules.

This is part of the reason we have seen some characters statted up repeatedly even within one edition; sometimes, later classes/kits/PrCs/whatever are a better fit for a particular character than earlier material was. I've sometimes suspected that some material was written with particular novel characters in mind.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 17 Oct 2014 17:50:53
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  18:36:37  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

I think Drizzt demonstrates why it's a bad idea to tie game rules and novel characters together. Characters should be developed through their history. Each character has a unique set of circumstances, and a unique skillset makes sense... for a novel. Balance against other characters in each scene may (or may not) be important, but there's no particular reason for Bob to be concerned with what Drizzt's D&D class/level would be, or how well he's balanced against wizards, rogues, clerics, and paladins. He's just concerned with making an iconic hero, and that's all about personality and thoughts. His ability scores and feats aren't important.

This. Also this is why trying so hard to bend settings to mere game rules tends to bring troubles.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  19:10:23  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've sometimes suspected that some material was written with particular novel characters in mind.

Yes! And there's often a fail somewhere... either the class is overpowered/underpowered with respect to other classes, or else a PC taking the prestige class still isn't able to do what the character in the novels can do. Excuses can be made such as "well there are other feats involved in addition to the prestige class" but if players can't build their own version of the novel's character then they're not happy. It seems smarter, to me, to never start down that road. And I attach the "blame" (it's not really a blame issue, but I'm not sure what to call it) to whoever made the decision to write and release the first Rogues Gallery or Hall of Heroes or whatever it was called, and all of the subsequent ones. Those pages would have been better served with other lore, rather than stat blocks, and we would have fewer arguments.

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Also this is why trying so hard to bend settings to mere game rules tends to bring troubles.

Yes! (was "troubles" meant as a play on words? ) It's unnecessary and ill-conceived to make changes in the setting (ie, story) to match changes in the rules. Disconnect the story and the rules... both will be stronger for it.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 17 Oct 2014 19:11:51
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  19:27:49  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message
I always assumed that Drizzt was simply too stupid to cast spells. Maybe no one ever told him that he needs to pray for them.

Regardless, while I think having official stats for well known characters is fun, I don't see a need for authors to strictly adhere to the game rules (and they usually don't anyway).

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  19:42:24  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message
I would assume not all rangers cast spells. Don't become beholden to arbitrary game rules when it comes to your love for fiction :)
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  19:52:07  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
One thing I really liked about Diablo 2, and subsequently enjoyed in WoW, was talent trees. Basically a small menu of options, rather than one prescribed ability. I think there's a lot to like about talent points, and I could see spellcasting as a branch of the tree which rangers could choose, or sacrifice in favor of some other collection of abilities.

I just really like customization. The more options you have, the more unique skillsets you can build. It's always exciting when new options are added, and disheartening when they're removed (like WoW's dumbing down of their talent trees). I'd like to see class design aim more for a smorgasbord rather than set paths or themes.

Choose-your-own-adventurer.
Go to Top of Page

Lyiat
Seeker

91 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  20:27:33  Show Profile Send Lyiat a Private Message
I think at this point it's just a personal hangup of mine. Drizzt is called a Ranger in all the material he's included in, but has been drifting ever further from the actual class in game to the point where he pretty much has nothing in common with the class anymore. So... why IS he called a ranger?

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  20:29:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
Well I've been through a hundred variants of the Ranger and Paladin class, some using the Unearthed Arcana rules with no spellcasting, others having normal spellcasting.

In the end when I decided on customisable class abilities I decided to make spells for a ranger and paladin work like prestige classes but as a selectable option. So the class can have the full 20 levels of spellcasting if they want (giving them access to a cleric or druids class spell list) or they can have only 10 levels of spellcasting, or indeed no levels of spellcasting. They have 30 abilities over the 20 levels so devoting 10 of them to spellcasting leaves them with 20 abilities to choose from (like smite, channel energy, etc) or they can have the full 30 abilities.

I'm with Xaeyruudh, customisation is a good thing. Having a fighter that relies on armour is not helpful if you want to play one that wears leather armour and fights with a rapier (then you are forced to choose a swashbuckler or rogue).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  22:08:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I've never had an issue with statting up fiction characters, at least in 1E and 2E, when the stat blocks were reasonable... 3E published stat blocks bugged me, though, because those were often a full page.

I've never had the urge to throw one of my characters against a novel character, though, or to try to emulate them. Part of the latter is because I prefer originality, and I don't want to do the exact same thing someone else has done. I may come up with something similar, but I will try to make my concept different.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  23:17:35  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Well, you'll probably be annoyed by 5e then too, Wooly. The MM vampire stat block is a whole page, and the tarrasque takes most of a page too. I think most of the monster descriptions are slightly more reasonable, though, between 1/4 and 1/2 a page. Printing them in paragraph form instead of table format would save some space but I dunno if they're going to do that.

I also prefer originality/creativity, so I completely agree there.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2014 :  00:42:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Well, you'll probably be annoyed by 5e then too, Wooly. The MM vampire stat block is a whole page, and the tarrasque takes most of a page too. I think most of the monster descriptions are slightly more reasonable, though, between 1/4 and 1/2 a page. Printing them in paragraph form instead of table format would save some space but I dunno if they're going to do that.

I also prefer originality/creativity, so I completely agree there.

Meh. I'm not buying anything 5E that isn't Realms-specific, so no biggie. I'm playing Pathfinder now.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2014 :  00:55:37  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message
I would love if somebody would develop a true classless system where skills and such were developed along ''talent trees'' such as xaeyruudh mentioned.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2014 :  01:06:50  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message
Rangers don't have anything to do with magic necessarily. That is a FAR outdated idea. His bond with the natural world, while not over done, is well documented in the novels. I don't see why an animal companion can't be a figurine of wondrous power. Seems to fit fine for me. Clearly fighter/ranger/XXXX

The only author who REALLY stayed true to stating out his characters was Gary Gygax.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2014 :  05:29:59  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

I always assumed that Drizzt was simply too stupid to cast spells.

Ouch!

quote:
Maybe no one ever told him that he needs to pray for them.

It's not that. His ranger mentor Montolio seemed to be more than willing to teach him.

It's that Drizzt does not really feel much compulsion to pray to anyone, for anything. Generally speaking, that hasn't been in his nature.

The only time I can remember him doing so was when he temporarily lost Guen's figurine in the icy water northwest of Icewind Dale. He was desperate! And so, when he was in an overemotional state, and not really thinking clearly, he resorted to prayer as a sort of "Hail Mary" (or would that be a "Hail Mielikki"?).

Drizzt chooses not to fully go along with the ritualistic religious side of the ranger class.

So I guess that explains why he doesn't reap all of the benefits of the class. Some aspects of the class are denied to him, because he's never gone full in.

I imagine that I would probably have similar results if I were to ever play D&D. I'm such a anti-religious person in RL, that I would matter-of-factly spurn most religious aspects of character-building in-world, too. All the while, I would fully expect that there would be some sort of practical penalty(-ies) for taking that tack.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Lyiat
Seeker

91 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2014 :  05:56:54  Show Profile Send Lyiat a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST
All the while, I would fully expect that there would be some sort of practical penalty(-ies) for taking that tack.

Well, yes. Resurrection would be impossible for you. Once you die, your character will be sent to the Fugue Plane, Kelemvor would judge you to be Faithless, and then bind you to the Wall of the Faithless, where either A) Your character will eventually become part of the Wall itself or B) A demon will steal you off of it and turn you into a demon.

Atheists kinda get the worst fate of anything in the Realms. EVIL characters who are religiously devote have a better outcome than that.

Thats why it kinda concerns me that Drizzt is so well favored by a Goddess who... doesn't seem to grant him spells and he doesn't seem to pray to. Ever.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2014 :  06:20:05  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message

quote:

I think Drizzt demonstrates why it's a bad idea to tie game rules and novel characters together.

Maybe, but you failed to demonstrate this.
quote:
Characters should be developed through their history. Each character has a unique set of circumstances, and a unique skillset makes sense... for a novel.

And in role-playing game?
quote:
In D&D, however, personality is icing on the cake and stories are wholly the responsibility of players and DMs.
The word "however" does not automatically prove any contradiction between text before and after the phrase containing it actually exists.
quote:
The required ingredients of every character are ability scores and class and race and feats and backgrounds and all the stuff that's in the rule books.

Feats are a required? Huh. Funny, people somehow played without them for a long, long while.
quote:
Your half-orc barbarian must be no more powerful than a gnome paladin or a dwarf warlock, because if there's one right answer to the munchkin's dilemma of which combination to play then the game becomes less fun for everyone.

No, the game becomes less fun for everyone if it's designed specifically for the case of munchkins.
For example: "I want to play a gerbil, what special abilities it must get to compensate for its puny size?" is both munchkin and plainly stupid.

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Statswise, Errtu would have splattered Drizzt all over northern Faerun.

Fool's luck.
Jokes aside, the difference is that novels have to be descriptive and as such unable to use "padded sumo" combat model at its worst.

quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

I would assume not all rangers cast spells. Don't become beholden to arbitrary game rules when it comes to your love for fiction :)

Rules handle mostly generic case of "spherical horse in vacuum". As they become more detailed, either the abstraction is staved off properly (on equally generic level) or redux of spherical horsedung becomes noticeable.
Rangers are a good example of this. In AD&D2 they suffered from infusion of Drizzt, and in d20 from plain bad design.
1) two-weapon style atavism
AD&D2 still had all sorts of pointlessly contrived hoops to jump through, including treatment of dual class; and if a non-human couldn't be done this way, he had to be flattened to just Ranger. Drizzt already being Sue of the Year, two weapon style ended up grandfathered to Rangers in general, no matter how obviously out-of-place it is. By the time the obvious patch (combat styles treated as variant WP) was issued, it was too late.
3e got enough of tools both for classes and styles - but there also was a trend to have everything possible munchkinized, whether it makes any sense or not, so it gleefully ran with this one rules lawyerism too.
2) auxiliary casters atavism
3e inherited now-pointless and needlessly constraining mechanics for minor spellcasting classes, even though now spellcasting could be obtained via plain multiclassing at certain levels - Paladin as Cleric, Ranger as Druid and Bard as Song Mage (or, if you want that "cuteness is magic" shoehorn at all, Sorcerer ) - which would be more flexible, and also avoid the nonsense of parallel spell pools and spell lists for characters who are multiclassed this way.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Lyiat
Seeker

91 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2014 :  06:58:38  Show Profile Send Lyiat a Private Message
I think Lady Evans would have an interesting perspective on the topic of game rules vs novels, considering she is a Sundering Writer.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2014 :  07:43:58  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Hm, I wasn't anticipating a backfire. I'll try to be more clear.

quote:

Characters should be developed through their history.

I think characters are best when developed through their history in all sorts of stories, whether they be novels or adventures or any other form of storytelling. I'm not distinguishing novels and games yet, with this sentence.

quote:

Each character has a unique set of circumstances, and a unique skillset makes sense... for a novel. <snip> In D&D, however, personality is icing on the cake and stories are wholly the responsibility of players and DMs.

Perhaps I should have said "in contrast" instead of "however" but however works just fine. I meant unique skillset to imply something that might not be feasible using the ruleset; this is okay in a novel, but not in the game. At least not until/unless we have a game system where you can write your own skills/abilities as long as you can justify them in your character's history. Games are concerned with structured classes/feats/whatever, and how these things are balanced against each other for maximum fairness, while novels aren't. In a novel, it really doesn't matter if a spellcaster can deal damage faster than a fighter, but that issue seems to matter a lot to the roleplayers who QQ that wizards are overpowered.

quote:

The required ingredients of every character are ability scores and class and race and feats and backgrounds and all the stuff that's in the rule books.

The items listed are examples of facets of the game. I wasn't suggesting that I'm operating under the delusion that each element is present in all editions of the ruleset. My bad, if this was somehow unclear.

quote:

Your half-orc barbarian must be no more powerful than a gnome paladin or a dwarf warlock, because if there's one right answer to the munchkin's dilemma of which combination to play then the game becomes less fun for everyone.

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

No, the game becomes less fun for everyone if it's designed specifically for the case of munchkins.

Your example would be frustrating, too, but it doesn't prove mine false.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 18 Oct 2014 08:02:57
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2014 :  19:25:18  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message
Who says he doesn't have spells? Maybe Bob has Mielikki whisper some spells into his ear in a later novel. Boom, problem solved.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2014 :  23:42:45  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lyiat

Well, yes. Resurrection would be impossible for you. Once you die, your character will be sent to the Fugue Plane, Kelemvor would judge you to be Faithless, and then bind you to the Wall of the Faithless, where either A) Your character will eventually become part of the Wall itself or B) A demon will steal you off of it and turn you into a demon.

Atheists kinda get the worst fate of anything in the Realms. EVIL characters who are religiously devote have a better outcome than that.

And as I've said before, there's something seriously wrong with that. That whole system sounds corrupt, twisted, and deranged to me. How utterly petty and insecure must the Realmsian gods be to concoct such a self-serving scheme, and to completely piss on human independence of thought like that?

quote:
Thats why it kinda concerns me that Drizzt is so well favored by a Goddess who... doesn't seem to grant him spells and he doesn't seem to pray to. Ever.

I get your concern. As things stand now, his potential end as an agnostic doesn't sound too inviting...

But at the same time, methinks there's something rather noble and heroic with a person being willing to face all of those terrible promises anyway, on general principle. Let the threat of hellfire (or a shellacking into the Wall, or whatever) ne'er intimidate the goodly man into turning off his mind and his higher critical thinking faculties. May the goodly woman always defy those who would demand she bend a knee to those who refuse to even do her the courtesy of showing their faces.

It could be very tragic, for sure. But it could also be very heroic, at the same time.

Weep not for him, Candlekeeper!

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2014 :  01:43:45  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:

And as I've said before, there's something seriously wrong with that. That whole system sounds corrupt, twisted, and deranged to me. How utterly petty and insecure must the Realmsian gods be to concoct such a self-serving scheme, and to completely piss on human independence of thought like that?

Just as the published lore often makes villains weak, shortsighted, and sometimes outright stupid, I think they might be "off" on the gods as well. Compared to how Ed might portray them in the home game, that is.

But from another angle, it makes sense that the gods are utterly petty, insecure, self-serving and contemptuous of human independence to various extents. Why would the gods want humans to be independent - particularly after Ao's declaration that each god's strength depends on the devotion of its followers? It would be quite reasonable for the gods to aim for enslaving their followers as completely as possible under these conditions - using their churches to charm/geas their priests and brainwash, mislead, and manipulate their followers.

Alignment is subjective, meaning that "good" powers are not an exception. Most people see themselves as "good" regardless of how others perceive them; the rest have some flavor of mental illness. How closely others agree with our judgment of ourselves determines whether friendships are possible, whether partnerships will be carefully nurtured or may be dropped/betrayed when it's convenient to do so, and so forth.

WotC seems to ascribe very human motives and reactions to the gods. I don't know if that's part of Ed's Realms or if someone at TSR/WotC decided while formulating the TOT that it's just easier to write the gods the same way you'd write a mortal character but with a focus on their portfolios and maybe some extra cunning here and there. Of course, the desired overall storyline (I think they're calling it a story bible these days) trumps everything so when they want a god to die, that god dies regardless of whether it makes any sense or not.

My point is just that (I think) the gods of the Realms act with the same self-interest that stereotypical humans do. And humans have a long history of being extremely petty, insecure, self-serving, and contemptuous of the independence of those they see as lesser than themselves: starting with children and pets, and continuing into subordinates at work and "less holy" folks at church plus everyone of other faiths.

Of course there are exceptions; not every human is a total egomaniac. But the number of gods in the Realms is very small in comparison to the thousands of humans we've all met so I wouldn't anticipate a lot of exceptions among them. Plus, we (as modern minds on Earth) often strive toward balance and kindness and compassion... there's no particular reason for the gods to put a high value on those things, so self-interest should probably be the default assumption.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2014 :  01:50:05  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
That all being said, I like this.

quote:

But at the same time, methinks there's something rather noble and heroic with a person being willing to face all of those terrible promises anyway, on general principle. Let the threat of hellfire (or a shellacking into the Wall, or whatever) ne'er intimidate the goodly man into turning off his mind and his higher critical thinking faculties. May the goodly woman always defy those who would demand she bend a knee to those who refuse to even do her the courtesy of showing their faces.

In my Realms, even if Mielikki were removed from the picture or her "hands were tied" by Ao's rules, Eilistraee wouldn't let Drizzt end up in the wall. Even Moradin might have a soft spot for the elf who stood tall beside dwarves and helped reclaim a dwarven hall, spawn of Lolth or not.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2014 :  02:06:24  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message
Given how Mielikki revived all the companions just for Drizzt, it's unlikely that he'll end up on wall if he continues as is.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2014 :  04:43:32  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message
Perhaps this is a bit more of RAS's pesky rebellion against da rulz? He appears to be making Mielikki far more open-minded and appreciative, and far less petty and insecure, than what we've been led to believe about the deities of the Realms. Just as Montolio taught Drizzt that Drizzt had inadvertently been following the way of Mielikki all along, more or less; maybe Mielikki uses a similarly imprecise interface with her followers? Maybe she can look beyond whatever slights to her personal ego that might be perpetrated by Drizzt's irreligiosity, and see into his heart that he's still a very good man, just the same? And maybe that's enough for her?

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2014 :  04:51:56  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
quote:

Perhaps this is a bit more of RAS's pesky rebellion against da rulz? He appears to be making Mielikki far more open-minded and appreciative, and far less petty and insecure, than what we've been led to believe about the deities of the Realms. Just as Montolio taught Drizzt that Drizzt had inadvertently been following the way of Mielikki all along, more or less; maybe Mielikki uses a similarly imprecise interface with her followers? Maybe she can look beyond whatever slights to her personal ego that might be perpetrated by Drizzt's irreligiosity, and see into his heart that he's still a very good man, just the same? And maybe that's enough for her?

Idk, RAS has just had Mielikki saying something along the lines of ''all greenskins are evulz, no exception, go and exterminate 'em all''. That sounds quite the contrary of open minded and quite an indirect slap to drow who choose different paths, including Drizzt...

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 19 Oct 2014 04:52:19
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000