Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Does anyone have a copy FR 1e timeline?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lucifer_Drake
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2014 :  19:33:58  Show Profile Send Lucifer_Drake a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone have a copy of the official Forgotten Realms Timeline as published in the FRCG 1e box-set in a doc or PDF? I'm looking for a resource so I can compare with my 2e &3e FR timelines. I'm trying to see what changes were made between 1e & 2e FR history wise. I know the time line got expanded & fleshed out through out both 2e & 3e cycles. But there wasn't a ton published between 1e FRCG & 2e FRCG.

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  01:07:20  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't remember a timeline in the 1e boxed set --unless you're talking about the "Current Clack" for 1356-1357-- and they weren't doing pdfs back then.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  02:13:45  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is <ahem> this dusty old scroll. Follow my links.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 27 Oct 2014 02:14:45
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  02:44:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was my first revamped chronology, which was posted to the old Realms-L.

It wasn't however a 1E chronology. As someone pointed out, there was no such thing. The first proper FR Timeline was contained in the 2E boxed set. I still remember reading it for the first time and being blown away.

My chronology used that one as a skeleton and added dates from the 1E sourcebooks and Dragon magazine articles as applicable.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  22:16:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I apoloogize for potentially misleading scribe Lucifer with my links.

And I realize that some credit must be given to others, Krashos only being one contributor in a fine group collaboration.

But, as far as I could confirm, that chronology is consistent, comprehensive, accurate, and meticulously well-researched. It is by far the best reference of its kind for early Realms canon. I imagine that post-2E sources havent significantly changed any 1E-era lore.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2014 :  08:34:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik
But, as far as I could confirm, that chronology is consistent, comprehensive, accurate, and meticulously well-researched. It is by far the best reference of its kind for early Realms canon. I imagine that post-2E sources havent significantly changed any 1E-era lore.

Well, by far the best RELEASED reference of its kind for early Realms canon.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lucifer_Drake
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2014 :  19:31:35  Show Profile Send Lucifer_Drake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks you all I wasn't sure as I no longer have my 1e boxset.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2014 :  23:01:12  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

I don't remember a timeline in the 1e boxed set --unless you're talking about the "Current Clack" for 1356-1357-- and they weren't doing pdfs back then.

Book II in that set had a very extensive, 9-page timeline under the title of "Recent News and Rumors in the Realms", which covered those two years.

Salvatore's novels were added into the lore after the campaign setting and its early timeline had already been published. I don't believe his stories contradict it, anywhere, but the events within them don't actually appear there, either.

(De-spoilerized: The following is not directly applicable to the OP's question, because they're based on other works besides the FRCS {1E}. But now that I've already typed them all in, I don't want to just delete them. And they are indirectly applicable to the 1E era--just not the 1E Campaign Setting.)

Here are some relevant, RAS-related, post hoc entries to the timeline:

* 1297 DR: First documented reference to the name of Drizzt Do'Urden (possibly a prophecy or a proclamation from one of Lolth's handmaidens, or merely a musing over a possible name for a son in Matron Malice Do'Urden's house journal; FRCS {2E})

* Early 1298 DR: Birth of Drizzt Do'Urden (Homeland).

* Late 1345 DR: Drizzt's arrival in Icewind Dale (Sojourn).

* 1347 DR: Zhengyi the Witch-King and the Castle Perilous arise in Vaasa (FR9 The Bloodstone Lands).

* Eleint, 1350 DR: Five years after Drizzt's arrival in Icewind Dale, Akar Kessell discovers the Crystal Shard (The Crystal Shard).

* Autumn, 1350 DR: Battle of Ten-Towns; a defeated Wulfgar the barbarian is placed into five years of indentured servitude to the dwarf King Bruenor Battlehammer (TCSh).

* Summer solstice, 1355 DR: Bruenor forges the warhammer Aegis-fang, and then gifts it to Wulfgar (TCSh).

* Summer, 1355 DR: As his five-year term of indenture nears its end, Wulfgar is released for fighter training with Drizzt Do'Urden (TCSh).

* Autumn, 1355 DR: Battle of Icewind Dale (TCSh).

* Spring, 1356 DR: The male Companions of the Hall depart Icewind Dale to begin King Bruenor's personal quest for the ruins of Mithral Hall (TCSh, Streams of Silver).

* Summer, 1356 DR: The Companions of the Hall successfully rediscover Mithral Hall; Shimmergloom the shadow dragon is slain by Bruenor; Artemis Entreri abducts Regis the halfling (SOSi).

* Late summer - early winter, 1356 DR: The Companions of the Hall seek to rescue Regis from Entreri all along the Sword Coast, and from Pasha Pook in Calimport (The Halfling's Gem).

* Spring, 1357 DR: A coalition army led by Clan Battlehammer retakes Mithral Hall from the minions of Shimmergloom (THG).

* Summer, 1357 DR:
- Mithral Hall resumes full-scale production of mithral goods for the North, once again (THG).
- Damara King Virdin is slain, facilitating Zhengyi's conquest of the Bloodstone Lands (TBL).

* Autumn, 1357 DR:
- Mithral goods from Mithral Hall go to market with other nations of the North (THG);
- Various sundry drow plottings in Menzoberranzan (Menzoberranzan [Boxed Set]);
- H1 Bloodstone Pass & H2 The Mines of Bloodstone game modules (later retconned into the Realms timeline in FR9).

* Early winter, late 1357 DR: With the snow deep all around, Drizzt begins a series of solo treks between Mithral Hall and Silverymoon to visit with Lady Alustriel ("Dark Mirror").

* Spring, 1358 DR:
- Two years after Bruenor's quest, a year after the re-conquest, with the spring dawning, and after sixty years of life, Drizzt returns to Mithral Hall for the pending wedding between Catti-brie and Wulfgar (THG, The Legacy);
- A small drow invasion force led by Jarlaxle enters Mithral Hall but is repelled (TL);
- H3 The Bloodstone Wars game module.

* Summer, 1358 DR: A few tendays after the drow were repelled from Mithral Hall, Drizzt leaves in the early summer on a foolhardy solo return to Menzoberranzan, and upon his departure from the drow city, Catti-brie drops a giant stalactite into the House Baenre chapel (Starless Night).

* Late spring - late autumn, 1358 DR: The Time of Troubles (Forgotten Realms Atlas).

* Late summer - early winter, late 1358 DR: Only a few tendays after the desecration of the Baenre chapel, Mithral Hall fends off another, even larger drow invasion, with the TOT in the background (Siege of Darkness).

It should be noted that I affixed these dates to those passages based on the time clues within the novels and their proximity to the Time of Troubles in the novel Siege of Darkness. This allows me a good deal of precision and accuracy.

But the 2E design team, in their fervent desire for such precision with the early timeline, appears to have jumped the gun a bit by assigning dates to various events in Bob's early novels before they could ever actually be connected to any major dated events in the Realms at large. That is why the "official" dates for a lot of Bob's early novels don't quite match up with mine: they were somewhat arbitrarily assigned before the exact link to the TOT could be ascertained.

In their process of assigning official dates to major events in Bob's early stories, the design teams also appears to have transposed some events, getting them completely out of order, forgetting and nullifying time lapses that took place, equating the rediscovery of Mithral Hall with its reconquest (two very different events, separated by nearly a year), etc.

I, on the other hand, have the benefit of corrected 20/20 chronological hindsight.

(I just don't always remember to put on my glasses!)

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 02 Nov 2014 05:09:33
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2014 :  19:56:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cant read the spoilers on my mobile device! I am so unspoiled.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2014 :  04:58:55  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Cant read the spoilers on my mobile device! I am so unspoiled.

Sorry, Ayrik. That was not my intention. It's just that after I went to all the trouble to type that stuff in, I realized that it was no longer really applicable to the OP's Q. Whoops! But I still didn't want to just delete it and lose it.

I'll unspoilerize and de-spoilerify my spoilerific spoilers spoilerifically soon.

Too much?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2014 :  22:42:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never too much! Now I feel spoiled.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2014 :  08:14:17  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh? Drizzt was born in 1268 not 1267?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2014 :  03:42:02  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

Huh? Drizzt was born in 1268 not 1267?

No. It was 1298, instead of 1297.

No matter how I have tried, I cannot get Drizzt to be born in the year 1297 DR. When we look at all of the time clues provided in the novels, this only pushes his birthyear back to early 1298 DR, and not 1297.

What follows is Drizzt's early life pre-TOT--Memento-style...

Summer - Autumn, 1358 DR: The Time of Troubles & Menzo's failed attack on Mithral Hall, tendays after the desecration of the House Baenre chapel mound (Siege of Darkness)

Early summer, 1358 DR: Drizzt's foolish solo trip to Menzo, ending with a stalactite dropping through the Baenre mound, which takes place two tendays after the drow were repelled from Mithral Hall (Starless Night)

Spring, 1358 DR: Two years after the re-finding of Mithral Hall, in the year after the re-conquest of the Hall, and with Drizzt having sixty years of life, there is a failed drow raid on Mithral Hall, ending with the drow being repelled (The Legacy)

Early winter, late 1357 DR: Drizzt's first solo trip between Mithral Hall and Silverymoon, the same year as the re-conquest (The Halfling's Gem & "Dark Mirror")

Autumn, 1357 DR: Mithral Hall's mithral goods go to market, once again (THG)

Summer, 1357 DR: Production resumes on Mithral Hall's mithral goods (THG)

Spring, 1357 DR: The re-conquest of Mithral Hall (THG)

Summer - winter, 1356 DR: The Companions attempt to rescue Regis the halfling from Artemis Entreri and Pasha Pook (THG)

Spring, 1356 DR: The Companions re-discover Mithral Hall, and Bruenor slays Shimmergloom the shadow dragon (Streams of Silver)

Autumn, 1355 DR: Battle of Icewind Dale (The Crystal Shard)

Summer, 1355 DR: Wulfgar the barbarian is released early from his service to begin fighter training with Drizzt Do'Urden (TCSh)

Autumn, 1350 DR: The Battle of Ten-Towns; a captured young Wulfgar is sentenced to five years of indentured servitude to dwarven King Bruenor Battlehammer (TCSh)

Eleint/September, 1350 DR: After five years in Ten-Towns, Drizzt learns of the mounting barbarian horde and while rushing to deliver the news he gets jumped by a couple of tundra yetis (TCSh)

Alturiak/February, 1346 DR: During a partial Icewind Dale thaw, more than two months after his first snowfall in the region, Drizzt is formally introduced to Catti-brie (Sojourn)

Marpenoth/October, 1345 DR: Drizzt experiences his first deep freeze in Icewind Dale (Soj.)

Eleint/September, 1345 DR: Drizzt arrives in Icewind Dale (Soj.)

Summer, 1345 DR: After six years on the surface, Drizzt anticipates his seventh winter on the surface, and decides to go to Icewind Dale (Soj.)

Uktar/November, 1339 DR: After four months of progressively colder weather and living alone in a mountain cave, Drizzt ventures forth to observe other intelligent surface races (Soj.)

Flamerule/July, 1339 DR: After 33 days of travel, Drizzt climbs up to the World Above (Exile, Sojourn)

Kythorn/June, 1339 DR:
- After "a few short months" of suffering through the Zin-carla ritual, Matron Malice shows advanced aging, and witnesses the destruction of House Do'Urden to House Baenre and Bregan D'aerthe;
- Drizzt leaves Blingdenstone and the Underdark (Exile)

Mirtul/May, 1339 DR:
- After 70 days, the Zaknafein Zin-carla spirit wraith emerges, determined to hunt down Drizzt (Exi.)

Alturiak/February, 1339 DR:
- A few tendays after spying on them, Drizzt moves in with the deep gnomes of Blingdenstone;
- House Do'Urden begins the Zin-Carla ritual on Zaknafein (Exi.)

Hammer/January, 1339 DR:
- Approximately a decade after the beginning of the inter-house war between House Do'Urden and House Hun'ett, the war is terminated, with House Do'Urden the victor;
- A lonely, self-exiled Drizzt wanders the Underdark, and spies longingly on the deep gnomes;
- House Do'Urden troops search for Drizzt for tendays in the Underdark (Exi.)

Tarsakh/April, 1329 DR: Drizzt leaves Menzoberranzan and goes into self-imposed exile in the Underdark (Homeland)

Late Ches/March, 1329 DR: In his last week in Menzo, Drizzt participates in a springtime raid on surface elves, witnesses his first sunrise, angers Lolth, receives Matron Malice's praise, participates in another raid against the deep gnomes, returns home again, reveals House Hun'ett's vendetta against House Do'Urden, comes to a meeting of the minds with his father Zaknafein, gets captured by a cave fisher & kills two young drow wizards, acquires the Guenhwyvar figurine for himself, and receives a proposition from Matron Malice (Home.)

[Early 1329 DR: Drizzt turns 31 years old]

Hammer/January, 1329 DR:
- Drizzt begins participating in patrol group duty, for several tendays at a time;
- Vierna Do'Urden visits The Faceless One at Sorcere, and Alton DeVir suddenly realizes that House Do'Urden had done this same thing with House Hun'ett "some thirty years before";
- The Ruling Council pronounces that the destruction of House DeVir was an event "thirty years removed", but grants Matron SiNafay Hun'ett her war against House Do'Urden anyway (Home.)

Nightal/December, 1328 DR: Drizzt participates in the Academy's Ceremony of Graduation, at age 30 (Home.)

Kythorn/June, 1328 DR: After nearly six months of mage training with Masoj, The Faceless One/Alton DeVir clumsily attacks Drizzt in a rage, but is foiled by Masoj (Home.)

Hammer/January, 1328 DR: In his tenth year of schooling, Drizzt is introduced to wizard mentor Masoj Hun'ett and his figurine of wondrous power named Guenhwyvar, at the beginning of six months of wizard training (Home.)

[Early 1319 DR: Drizzt turns 21 years old]

Hammer/January, 1319 DR:
- Alton DeVir is said to have spent [nearly] twenty years trying to learn the identity of the house that had destroyed House DeVir;
- After [nearly] five years of tutoring with Zaknafein, Drizzt enters the Academy school of fighters, Melee-Magthere, to begin ten years of formal training, at the prescribed age of twenty (Home.)

[Early 1318 DR: Drizzt turns 20 years old]

Very early 1318 DR:
- With Drizzt at age nineteen, he witnesses the destruction of House Teken'duis by the forces of the Academy;
- After nineteen years, Matron SiNafay Hun'ett tells Alton DeVir that it was House Do'Urden that destroyed House DeVir "almost twenty years ago" (Home.)

Nightal/December, 1317 DR: At the end of his third [full] year of training with Zak [not counting 1314, which was only a partial year], Matron Malice says that Drizzt will go to the Academy in only a year (Home.)

Early 1314 DR: On Drizzt's sixteenth birthday, he begins informal fighter training with tutor Zaknafein (Home.)

Early 1298 DR: Drizzt is born to House Do'Urden, on the same night that the house destroys House DeVir (Homeland)

1297 DR: The first known recorded mention of the name Drizzt Do'Urden (FRCS {2E}), which is later erroneously misreported by many scribes as being his year of birth and of the House Do'Urden campaign against House DeVir.

Edited by - BEAST on 06 Nov 2014 04:06:31
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000