Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Why do dwarves speak Scottish?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2014 :  14:05:44  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I wonder why. Is this Ed's decision? Or was it inspired by some folklore/earlier books?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2014 :  14:35:31  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the booze? And the slurred words were mistaken for that accent? ;)
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2014 :  15:06:25  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The commonly accepted theory is that Gary Gygax was heavily influenced by Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions which featured a dwarf with a Scottish accent (among other concepts that also made it into D&D).

When Bob Salvatore, Games Workshop and others ran with that idea in the 80s, it stuck.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lyiat
Seeker

91 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2014 :  15:12:05  Show Profile Send Lyiat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind that a good degree of them also speak in a Welsh accent. Gimli (LotR movies) had a kinda combination of the two.

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you." ~ Minsc

Edited by - Lyiat on 15 Oct 2014 15:12:42
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2014 :  15:19:03  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lyiat

Keep in mind that a good degree of them also speak in a Welsh accent. Gimli (LotR movies) had a kinda combination of the two.

That's because the actor who played Gimli was welsh.

Tolkein, interestingly, portrayed his dwarves as Jews.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2014 :  16:07:49  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

The commonly accepted theory is that Gary Gygax was heavily influenced by Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions which featured a dwarf with a Scottish accent (among other concepts that also made it into D&D).

When Bob Salvatore, Games Workshop and others ran with that idea in the 80s, it stuck.

Thanks!

I've got a course on non-standard English now and I thought I could write the 1,500-words essay we're required to on FR dwarves and their Scottish accent.

Because of how consistent it is, I was sure there had to be some reason for it.

Not to mention the lecturer happens to be crazy about Scottish, good crazy I mean, so she'll probably agree to the topic immediately as soon as I tell her 'well, there's those fantasy books where all the dwarves speak Scottish'...

Go to Top of Page

Xal Valzar
Learned Scribe

Argentina
214 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2014 :  18:08:12  Show Profile Send Xal Valzar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh when i play Dwarves i always have them have have a Jewish accent. maybe because im from Israel and a Jewish accent is more easy for me and because Tolkien based the Dwarves on Jews looking for a new homeland. And it kinda feels racist towards Jews because Dwarves love gold and are greedy and have long beards and are somewhat short.
But Scottish does fit the Dwarves, they have their clans and drink a lot of beer and ale.

Knowledge is Power
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2014 :  18:19:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen them with Scottish, German, Russian, and Welsh (and yes, even Irish... although thats usually reserved for the leprechauns) culture, mannerisms, and accents.

I suppose, just like humans, it all depends upon where they are from.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2014 :  06:48:43  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you mean "me is good fer another keg of ale, ere ye go?" - it's not Scottish, it's Big Dumb Warrior'ish, that is alignment class language of all warriors in Salvatore's Icewind Dale trilogy, be they dwarves, Uthgardt barbarians or mercenaries randomly met in tavern. With exception of Artemis (heh) who was assassin (except he turned into Fighter/Rogue/Sorcerer who specializes in enchantment spells Fighter/Thief who killed people for money) and Bzzt, which made them popular.
But then, he had pirate Pinochet there, didn't he?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2014 :  07:08:48  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ROFL.

quote:
Originally posted by Xal Valzar

And it kinda feels racist towards Jews because Dwarves love gold and are greedy and have long beards and are somewhat short.

quote:
Originally posted by Xal Valzar

But Scottish does fit the Dwarves, they have their clans and drink a lot of beer and ale.

I am not sure you even see the irony in what you wrote.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2014 :  23:31:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmphf, my personal experience is that dwarves all tend to sound like they have a bad Ahnold-like Austrian accent. A few of the drunker and giddy ones might sound Bavarian, at least when yodelling.

This might be because I avoid Scottish accents. They seem to invariably lead to Star Trek digressions. And, I admit, my Scothic sucks quite badly enough to be unfavourably compared with slurred Rastafarian.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2014 :  03:23:11  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

And, I admit, my Scothic sucks quite badly enough to be unfavourably compared with slurred Rastafarian.

Heehee. I was imitating a Latino co-worker to my supervisor today. And he asked since when did this co-worker become Indian?!! I was inadvertently mangling Spanglish into Apoo-speak!

Why do dwarves speak Scottish?

Because they're not <crrrahp>, of course!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  13:19:21  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mean this: http://www.forgottenkingdoms.org/help.php?keyword=Dwarven Accent List %28Warning%3ALONG%29&showindexandsearch=true, and the list is definitely from one of FR sourcebooks.

Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  21:35:46  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

I mean this: http://www.forgottenkingdoms.org/help.php?keyword=Dwarven Accent List %28Warning%3ALONG%29&showindexandsearch=true, and the list is definitely from one of FR sourcebooks.

That is definitely not from a Realms sourcebook. That is simply a guide to speaking with a bad/fake scottish accent.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  15:59:32  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, I think I/we've established that the dwarves don't speak Scottish, but they certainly speak differently to other FR characters (just compare Athrogate/Pikel/Bruenor to Drizzt/Cattie/Wulfgar).

Suits my needs just fine.

Now, which novels have dwarves who do more than swing axes and kill orcs?

I'll be using Baldur's Gate's Kagain-Yeslick-Korgan, too.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000