Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Rise of the King *spoilers*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  17:41:13  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just finished reading it last night. It was decent enough, though the title is a bit misleading. Bruneor didn't even return to Mithril Hall until the very end. There is the usual bucketful of battle scenes, and Jarlaxle was a delight, as usual. I wished Valas had been in it. The dynamics that are developing between Gromph and Kimmuriel are interesting. I would like to see more of that.

The dealing with Pwent was brief and a bit anticlimatic, but oh well. This novel was not the greatest, but it wasn't the worse, either. Things just felt a bit...loose. It felt all over the place, to me. I thought I would have more to say about it, but I don't really. My opinion hasn't really changed since my review of the last Drizzt novel. I'm thrilled the Companions are back in action, and Drizzt is his old self, but...the novels still lack the Realms "feel" to me. I will not get into that argument again however. It was decent as a story in and of itself, but I felt the plot was loose.

Oh, and PS...return of the Bouldershoulder brothers?

Sweet water and light laughter

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  19:32:27  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really want to read Vengeance of the Iron Dwarf now. Can't wait to see how Bruenor's revelation goes down.

Salvatore mentioned we would see more of Kimmuriel and how he is secretly VERY angry about the destruction of his old house. Looking forward to the next book.
Go to Top of Page

_Midnight_
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  21:18:15  Show Profile  Visit _Midnight_'s Homepage Send _Midnight_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to the inevitable dragon fights. Not sure how old the sisters are, but I'm sure they'll have their hands full with the ancient white.
Go to Top of Page

rapunzel77
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  21:25:28  Show Profile Send rapunzel77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed the book. I knew it would be the second chapter and Salvatore is setting up more pieces. That's why I didn't mind the looseness of it. That said, there is a lot of interesting and surprising things in this book especially in regards to Gromph, Kimmuriel, and Afrefrefre (sp?). I think that the next book will be very epic in scope. This book was laying out more ground work. The Companions are back to their usual selves in this as well as Drizzt which is a relief. There's plenty of action too and more Jarlaxle. I also liked the "realistic" reactions from the humans/dwarves. Sundabar, Silverymoon, and the others blamed Bruenor and Drizzt for the treaty and worse they rewrote their history to absolve themselves of their actions (actually the lack thereof) that lead to the treaty. Sundabar in particular experienced payback for that as well as Nesme. It was a sad ending for several people. I am looking forward to the next book. How is all of this going to get wrapped up?
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  21:39:19  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the Chosen being born in this era I am curious if the old school Yvonnel Baenre will be reborn into Gromph's soon to be daughter. Lolth did say her "Eternal Servant". Unless that just meant the memory implant in Quenthel.

Salvatore's novel after the Vengeance of the Iron Dwarf is called The Archmage. Whether that's a reference to Gromph, Malchor Harpell or someone else, I'm curious to see. Really not sure how the Silver Marches are going to survive a horde of 100k orcs and legions of giants behind them.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2014 :  04:30:31  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another thing I noticed *spoilers* does Jarlaxle have hair now? When he sheds his disguise, it describes his hair as becoming white.

Go to Top of Page

Squifurgie
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2014 :  05:21:59  Show Profile Send Squifurgie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Another thing I noticed *spoilers* does Jarlaxle have hair now? When he sheds his disguise, it describes his hair as becoming white.

I noticed that as well! Very weird, maybe his eyebrows, I am pretty sure he still has those even while he shaves the rest of his head.

I was a little disappointed with the way it ended, I was hoping for something more definitive. None the less, the book did get me excited for the future books.

I get the feeling that both Gromph and Kimmuriel are going to make a move against Menzoberranzan. Possibly planning something together. I recall Gromph talking about K'Yorl Odran still being alive in the previous book. With Kimmuriel secretly keeping his anger bottled up, his mother coming back into the picture and hungry for vengeance, things could get really interesting.

Jarlaxle is going to be viewed as the freaking man by everyone when he shows up with the dragon sisters as allies. Lot's of build up in this book.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2014 :  14:56:39  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure Gromph will make a move. Rise of the King specifically has a statement that since Quenthel's transformation into more or less the old Yvonnel Baenre, he now would never consider moving against her.
Go to Top of Page

rapunzel77
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2014 :  16:41:16  Show Profile Send rapunzel77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Squifurgie

quote:

I get the feeling that both Gromph and Kimmuriel are going to make a move against Menzoberranzan. Possibly planning something together. I recall Gromph talking about K'Yorl Odran still being alive in the previous book. With Kimmuriel secretly keeping his anger bottled up, his mother coming back into the picture and hungry for vengeance, things could get really interesting.

Jarlaxle is going to be viewed as the freaking man by everyone when he shows up with the dragon sisters as allies. Lot's of build up in this book.

I do think that Gromph will make his move. For many books (there are also hints in Elaine Cunningham's books as well) we know that Gromph is very unhappy with the status quo in Menzoberranzan but he goes with it time and time again since it is rare that there is a good time to strike. Although Quenthal does have some insights/memories from Yvonnel, she still isn't Yvonnel and right now she's made a significant power grab that some matron mothers are very angry about. In addition, Gromph is witnessing drow men's further alienation since the matron mothers are enrolling more daughters in Sorcere than sons. He seems furious about that aspect. He is ambivalent about the war, his house, etc. So, I think he does have some plan up his sleeve. What is striking is Kimmuriel. I saw RA Salvatore's remark on reddit about Kimmuriel's true feelings. I wonder why he would be so angry about his house's loss? Typically, drow don't care about their families' fates except for what it does to their own station in life. Drizzt didn't care about House do'Urden's fall. So, why would Kimmuriel care? Is it just because he lost his station? Or is there something more here? I guess we will find out. I just found it odd he would still be so angry about Oblodra's demise. They weren't known for any filial affection and killed each other often. Again, that is typical drow. They don't as a rule have familial affection. So, what is his motive for being so angry?
Go to Top of Page

Squifurgie
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2014 :  17:39:33  Show Profile Send Squifurgie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that Kimmuriel suddenly having strong feelings for his house's demise is a bit random. One thing to consider though is that Kimmuriel is known to be very difficult to read, he rarely shows any kind of emotion, if he was angry about something, you probably wouldn't be able to tell. As far as his actual reasons for being angry about his house's destruction? Maybe he feels he has no one that understands his psionic abilities. Up until Gromph recently training with Kimmuriel we have not heard of any other drow using psionics (correct me if I am wrong). With his family gone he doesn't really have anyone to train his psionics with. He may not care for his family but he may have viewed them as valuable tools as far as the growth of his powers go.

As far as Gromph making a move . . . I don't think he is going to strike at Quenthel and the Baenre's so to speak. I think he is looking more to make an escape from the class system in Menzoberranzan. If a golden opportunity presents itself then maybe he would actually strike. I think Gromph wants freedom to do as he pleases more than anything else. He doesn't seems very ambitious, he really just wants to be left to his studies. Jarlaxle would be the closest thing to an ally that Gromph has. Jarlaxle has removed himself from Menzoberranzan's class system to a large degree, perhaps a more permanent position in Bregan D'aerthe? I doubt he would work under anyone, he would be an equal partner if anything.

The revelation of more females than males in Sorcere strikes me as possible foreshadowing, Gromph and Kimmuriel seemed displeased with this news. Jarlaxle has mentioned that Drizzt is viewed by some males in Menzoberranzan as a symbol of sorts. Seems like a possible set-up for a revolution in the drow class structure.

The reintroduction of some past characters was great, Ivan Bouldershoulder, Grandmaster Kane etc . . .

There is a lot to speculate about, in that sense, "Rise Of The King" was great, it brought forth a ton of questions leading to some potential great stories in the future.

I have a question, the wizard that was with Ivan, I believe he was referred to as Red Mazzie. I got a feeling like there were some clues that he was supposed to be someone from the past and that I was missing the clues.

Anyone have any ideas as to who he might actually be? the only answer I came up with is Robillard though I really don't have much basis for saying that. Is he an entirely new character or is he supposed to be someone using the alias "Red Mazzie" ?
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2014 :  17:59:54  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rapunzel77

quote:
Originally posted by Squifurgie

quote:

I do think that Gromph will make his move. For many books (there are also hints in Elaine Cunningham's books as well) we know that Gromph is very unhappy with the status quo in Menzoberranzan but he goes with it time and time again since it is rare that there is a good time to strike. Although Quenthal does have some insights/memories from Yvonnel, she still isn't Yvonnel and right now she's made a significant power grab that some matron mothers are very angry about. In addition, Gromph is witnessing drow men's further alienation since the matron mothers are enrolling more daughters in Sorcere than sons. He seems furious about that aspect. He is ambivalent about the war, his house, etc. So, I think he does have some plan up his sleeve. What is striking is Kimmuriel. I saw RA Salvatore's remark on reddit about Kimmuriel's true feelings. I wonder why he would be so angry about his house's loss? Typically, drow don't care about their families' fates except for what it does to their own station in life. Drizzt didn't care about House do'Urden's fall. So, why would Kimmuriel care? Is it just because he lost his station? Or is there something more here? I guess we will find out. I just found it odd he would still be so angry about Oblodra's demise. They weren't known for any filial affection and killed each other often. Again, that is typical drow. They don't as a rule have familial affection. So, what is his motive for being so angry?

Several things intrigued me about Kimmuriel in Rise of the King.

1) He thinks to himself how much he hates ever returning to Menzoberranzan. This seems odd to me, because all throughout the Sellswords trilogy, he's berating Jarlaxle for trying to build a network on the surface. Kimmuriel always hated the surface and was eager to return home in earlier books. I wonder what happened to change his mind so drastically.

2) Kimmuriel's contact with his mother shocked me (though I think it was the last book that actually mentioned this). I always assumed her to be dead, but then again I assumed Yvonnel to be dead also.

3) It was interesting to see Kimmuriel show fear of Gromph. Like most fans, I've long been curious to know exactly how powerful Kimmuriel is compared to other FR characters. We've never seen him in anything resembling a fight. He did punk Archmage Knellict, but he's only used his powers on unsuspecting opponents. I imagine that Gromph would kill him, but it's hard to be sure.

4) I'm very interested to see how much Kimmuriel aids Jarlaxle in fighting the establishment. He seems to have grown more agitated with Jarlaxle in each book, and I wonder how that ends. Jarlaxle would risk his personal safety to save Drizzt or Entreri, but Kimmuriel certainly would not.

5) I'm most intrigued to see if Kimmuriel encounters Grandmaster Kane again. Kimmuriel was very impressed with Methil's ability to exist in a higher plane (temporarily). Kimmuriel probably can't ascend the same way Grandmaster Kane did, because he's evil, but he would be fascinated to see that it was possible.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2014 :  18:26:33  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a shot in the dark at why Kimmuriel might be angry about his house's destruction. Matron Oblodra had a real shot to take control of Menzoberranzan, and Lolth herself intervened to screw her over. His family's defeat might serve as a symbol to Kimmuriel that he will never become wealthy, influential, or powerful enough to escape the grasp of Lolth's minions.

To be honest, that's why I enjoy Lolth's followers being constantly at each other's throats. Clerics can be the ultimate deus ex machina characters, if not written carefully, because their god can just flood them with enough power to accomplish any task. If not for constantly battling each other, Lolth's priestesses would have no threats.
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2014 :  14:11:19  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found it an enjoyable read. It was good, though not great. Some interesting goings on and a few nuggets of lore for Silver Marches/northern Sword Coast (more than any other 5e era product, at least in my estimation).

Still, a better title would have been Siege of Darkness II: Siege Darker. I enjoy Salvatore's writing quite a lot, but in this one I found myself saying one thing repeatedly while reading, "Get on with it!"

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  01:29:44  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like I mentioned in another scroll, I can't see how one could possibly say the RAS' books don't feel Realmsish. He's been writing books in the setting practically since it begun and is probably the most prolific writer of the setting.

I liked the book, but I found the earlier chapters to be boring.

And while I like the new Regis, I'm really disliking how he keeps thinking back to Donnola. We get it, he misses her. It doesn't need to be repeated throughout the book.

Catti-Brie performed her heel-turn. Looks like we won't be seeing Orc babies being slaughtered, and RAS conveniently avoids portraying any kind of peaceful orcs in Many-Arrows. The closest we got was the servant orcs in Saribel's tent.

Tos'un and Doum'wielle's situation continues to feel forced.

Loved seeing old characters from Heliobagalus again. Grompth and Kimmuriel's interactions were also pretty interesting.

Though I complain a lot I do look forward tot he next book.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  01:42:15  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To me, his books just don't feel as Realmish. Yes he's been writing in the Realms for years, but it doesn't mean he captures the feel of Realms for me. It doesn't mean there aren't elements of the Realms in his novels or that I dislike them. I love Drizzt, I enjoy the stories, but I also find bis books lacking in the same Realmism feel. This is just my opinion and my personal experience from reading his books alongside other Realms novels. I would recommend them to someone who has read other FR novels, but to someone who is new to the Realms and hungry for Realmian knowledge, I would suggest something else. And I DID begin with the Drizzt books, and once I branched out, I learned more about the FR world.

Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  03:05:58  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To me, his books just don't feel as Realmish. Yes he's been writing in the Realms for years, but it doesn't mean he captures the feel of Realms for me. It doesn't mean there aren't elements of the Realms in his novels or that I dislike them. I love Drizzt, I enjoy the stories, but I also find bis books lacking in the same Realmism feel. This is just my opinion and my personal experience from reading his books alongside other Realms novels. I would recommend them to someone who has read other FR novels, but to someone who is new to the Realms and hungry for Realmian knowledge, I would suggest something else. And I DID begin with the Drizzt books, and once I branched out, I learned more about the FR world.

People always disagree about the "Realms feel", but to me, that's what makes the Realms great. I wonder if people advocating for the Realms feel know exactly what they are asking for. I love that RAS, Evans, Kemp, Cunninghan, Ed, etc. all have a distinct voice. By having such different styles, they help the Realms appeal to a wide spectrum of readers. But also, they keep current readers engaged. I love RAS, but I need epic spell battles like Ed's sometimes. I need darkness like only Kemp can write. I like that Erin Evans can actually leave me dying to know how the love stories of 2 teenage girls end. I'm ranting now, but I'm not disagreeing with you. I just like the variety of the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  03:23:16  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a very good point *nods* and yes, it is hard for me to explain what the "feel" of the Realms. Like, I know what it means in my head, but I can't explain it. But for me, RAS' novels don't have it. I still enjoy them.

Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  13:12:51  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is a very good point *nods* and yes, it is hard for me to explain what the "feel" of the Realms. Like, I know what it means in my head, but I can't explain it. But for me, RAS' novels don't have it. I still enjoy them.

Your viewpoint is still valid, even if you can't pinpoint exactly what you mean. I feel the same way about some of my favorite TV shows. Sometimes an episode is written that feels shoehorned in, and would fit better on another show.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  18:33:36  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one thing that really grinds my gear is how the drow are again portrayed as the uberrace, superior to all and able to boss them around at will. I would love to see Tiago trying to intimidate another orc shaman only to find out the hard way he's the high priest of Gruumsh, as nasty and powerful as any matron mother. Come on, that's the biggest kingdom of orcs, where are their high level badasses?

Also Bregan D'aerthe is too marysue to be interesting anymore. We get it, they're perfect and no operation ever fails. Yeah, they're good, but so are others. Would it be so hard to once in a while have the report to Jarlaxe and Kimmuriel say "Sorry, Sirs, we were unable to achieve the objective due to being beaten by [insert other badass organization here]"? Every single operation is always a complete success with no rivals ever being abe to hold a candle to them. Whether it's taking over a city or storming the estate of a high level shade warlock. Always a walk in the park for the only one competent organization on the whole of Toril.

Also did The Sentinel already happen? The fallout for the orcs should be immense. Gruumsh knowing that Luthic has been cuckolding him with Gruumbar? The orcs should be more concerned with the cataclysm within their pantheon than with what some drow try to bother them with. We're talking schisms and divine civil war here. Just imagine Luthic and Bagthru leading a revolt vs. Gruumsh and Ilneval, with Shargass trying to play both factions and and Yutrus watching impassively and ever silent from the sideline.

Edited by - Mirtek on 22 Oct 2014 18:46:56
Go to Top of Page

rapunzel77
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  18:44:14  Show Profile Send rapunzel77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

The only thing that grinds my gear is how the drow are again portrayed as the uberrace, superior to all and able to boss them around at will. I would love to see Tiago trying to intimidate another orc shaman only to find out the hard way he's the high priest of Gruumsh, as nasty and powerful as any matron mother. Come on, that's the biggest kingdom of orcs, where are their high level badasses?

Also did The Sentinel already happen? The fallout for the orcs should be immense. Gruumsh knowing that Luthic has been cuckolding him with Gruumbar? The orcs should be more concerned with the cataclysm within their pantheon than with what some drow try to bother them with. We're talking schisms and divine civil war here. Just imagine Luthic and Bagthru leading a revolt vs. Gruumsh and Ilneval, with Shargass trying to play both factions and and Yutrus watching impassively and ever silent from the sideline.

The events in Rise of the King take place around 1484-1485 possibly 1486. The events in the Sentinel take place in 1486 so that is a good point. Could the events going on in the orc pantheon help in the Silver Marches war? A breakup in the alliance between them, the drow, the frost giants, and the dragons? They all have ulterior motives and that could help in their defeat. I don't think they will stay united for long. I agree that the orcs should have their own badasses and perhaps we will see them. Actually Hartusk seems to have better control of his armies and I hope that Tiago gets his behind handed to him. Ugh, what a jerk.
Go to Top of Page

rapunzel77
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  19:01:58  Show Profile Send rapunzel77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also Bregan D'aerthe is too marysue to be interesting anymore. We get it, they're perfect and no operation ever fails. Yeah, they're good, but so are others. Would it be so hard to once in a while have the report to Jarlaxe and Kimmuriel say "Sorry, Sirs, we were unable to achieve the objective due to being beaten by [insert other badass organization here]"? Every single operation is always a complete success with no rivals ever being abe to hold a candle to them. Whether it's taking over a city or storming the estate of a high level shade warlock. Always a walk in the park for the only one competent organization on the whole of Toril.

That isn't completely true. Their operation in Calimport had to be aborted due to Jarlaxle's craziness with the crystal shard and for a few decades, their operation in Luskan was also compromised until they regained some control. We are only given bits and pieces of their operations and not all of them have succeeded. They have had their defeats and triumphs, always skirting the edges and now there is the possibility they are in hot water with the matron mothers, especially baenre. Remember that they are primarily a mercantile band with mercenary tendencies. Bregan D Aerthe took a big gamble going after Draygo Quick. It was expensive and risky. If it wasn't for the fact that Draygo was very curious about the Sundering, etc they would not have succeeded. What would you liked to have had happen? Drizzt languishing in the Shadowfell? Getting killed? I know that many people on Candlekeep (I'm not saying you) would love nothing more than to see Drizzt and his friends die because he's been around too long and he is a good character/hero and to them that is too boring. They would prefer anti heroes and the undead, devoid of any conscience. Again, you aren't one of those who say that but I see that often, even asking RA Salvatore on his FB page to kill Drizzt off because they hate him. I don't understand the visceral hate for a good character.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  19:23:43  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What would you liked to have had happen? Drizzt languishing in the Shadowfell?
Bregan D Aerthe casualties. Hard fighting to gain the courtyard and breach the house. Not just casually walking in and overpowering the guard before they really know what was even happening.

Draygo fighting back, slaying the two illithids and trading spells with Kimmuriel for a while before yielding. Showing why he is supposed to be a powerful netherese warlock. Not just Kimmuriel walking in "Hi. You guards are subdued and I have two illithids here which are really only for show as I could slay you any time anyway. But hey, why don't we pretend to negotiate as if you really had any choice whatsoever?"

At best still heavy fighting with no clear victor in sight when Kimmuriel and Draygo, bloodied both, announce their truth

Is there supposed any limit to what a kinetic barrier is supposed to be table to tank (many direct hits from heartseeker, a landslide, what comes next)? Probably one day he'll be whipped by Lolth herself and just stand their giggling while the kinetic barrier absorbes all.

At least I was pleased with Kimmuriel admiting his fear of Gromph. For a long time he was just presented as psionics being flat out superior to any wizard he encountered

Edited by - Mirtek on 22 Oct 2014 19:26:48
Go to Top of Page

rapunzel77
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  19:30:55  Show Profile Send rapunzel77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember that Bregan D Aerthe took Draygo by surprise which probably colored his response. Also, he knew that he was wrong to keep Drizzt and Guen captive. He was given a deal and decided that it was to his advantage to yield. It could be that the events in the Shadowfell will come back to haunt them. We don't know. Some things that look "easy" in one book turn out not to be down the road. You are right that there probably should have been more of a fight but they were ambushed and caught by surprised. What do you do when someone puts a tower in the middle of your house? Take their offer or fight till the death? Draygo is calculating and shrewd. He probably thought it best to take the deal. Of course he could have killed many, but to what end?
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  20:55:31  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Remember that Bregan D Aerthe took Draygo by surprise which probably colored his response. Also, he knew that he was wrong to keep Drizzt and Guen captive. He was given a deal and decided that it was to his advantage to yield. It could be that the events in the Shadowfell will come back to haunt them. We don't know. Some things that look "easy" in one book turn out not to be down the road. You are right that there probably should have been more of a fight but they were ambushed and caught by surprised. What do you do when someone puts a tower in the middle of your house? Take their offer or fight till the death? Draygo is calculating and shrewd. He probably thought it best to take the deal. Of course he could have killed many, but to what end?

Draygo couldn't have killed anyone. Kimmuriel brought 2 illithids into Draygo's personal chambers who caught him off guard and mind blasted him. Just like the archmage Knellict in Road of the Patriarch, Draygo wouldn't be allowed to cast a spell. The illithids would just read his mind, sense him about to cast again, and shatter his concentration.

Also, there won't be any retribution for the attack. Netheril has been destroyed, and the remaining Shadovar have far more dangerous enemies than Jarlaxle to worry about. People like Draygo will spend their time trying to avoid Harpers, Zhents, Cyricists, Cormyreans, and others looking for revenge.
Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  03:21:33  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damned good book. This novel put me back on the Salvatore Band-wagon.bravo!!

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  19:09:45  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

Just like the archmage Knellict in Road of the Patriarch, Draygo wouldn't be allowed to cast a spell. The illithids would just read his mind, sense him about to cast again, and shatter his concentration.
Which I still think is ridiculous for such a high level wizard or warlock. The illithids should be free to try and fail at his personal wards while he blasts them to dust.

Maybe(but unlikely) Knellict got lazy living safely in the citadell with no foes that might challenge him any moment (a pretty lazy assassins guild then BTW).

But a shade warlock living in the shadowfell? Every rival worth noticing would be a magic user to be reckoned with, donning a set of personal wards should be as natural as putting on his trousers.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2014 :  00:27:29  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loving the return of the 'old' salvatore. I think that his joy in writing these new books shines through. The new Regis is still a bit hit and miss for me but he was much better in this book. Athrogates warning to the dwarves when he surrendered his weapons was the quote of the book for me lol.
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  00:41:13  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

Still, a better title would have been Siege of Darkness II: Siege Darker. I enjoy Salvatore's writing quite a lot, but in this one I found myself saying one thing repeatedly while reading, "Get on with it!"

Nuts. That was going to be my comment. "I enjoyed this story better when it was called 'One Thousand Orcs.' And I liked that story better when it was called 'Siege of Darkness.'"

Nothing magical from these first two books. Watching the standard for the Tiamat adventure series getting product placed in here just made me groan too.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  02:59:34  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From my understanding, from one of his interviews, the dragons just happened to fit with the story and is the reason why he dovetailed that in.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  20:19:41  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished this book. I like it and the direction it is going. Kind of winced when Wulfgar was once again captured and tortured though. Glad it was short lived as that theme is old. I like that both Regis and Catti-Brie have new skill sets. Not sure about the whole matron mother thing with Dalia, but well see as things play out
Go to Top of Page

Chronthalas
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2014 :  20:49:22  Show Profile Send Chronthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone get Wulfgar some armor, 80% of all healing in the party goes to him.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000