Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Fire in the Blood- 14th October (An Almost-Review)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  18:38:18  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Next week marks the release of Fire in the Blood by Erin M. Evans. This glorious tome throws the characters of the Brimstone Angels series—the tiefling warlock Farideh and her glaive-wielding twin sister Havilar; Havilar’s beloved Brin (known in Cormyr as Lord Aubrin Crownsilver, an illegitimate grandson of the late Crown Prince Emvar Obarskyr); the Harper (and former Oghmanyte paladin) Dahl Peredur; the twins’ adoptive dragonborn father, Mehen; the charming and dangerous cambion—and holder of Farideh’s infernal pact!—Lorcan; and many others—into the thick of Cormyrean politics, in the midst of a great war between the Forest Kingdom and both Netheril and Sembia.

So, why should you buy this book?

It’s not just that Erin is so enthusiastic about the subject matter or hopelessly charming or just an overall nice person. It’s not just that it’s packed with Cormyr goodness (which we all know I can’t stand), or that it’s 464 pages (for standard FR hardcover price!), or that you have to know what happens next. Those are all good reasons, and if they’re enough for you, then by all means, stop reading and go and pre-order the book now.

Simply put, this book is Erin’s best yet. In a lot of ways, it’s her Homeland.

Just as Bob’s fourth Drizzt novel took us to Menzoberranzan and fleshed out that city in detail and gave us a character that was steeped in history and the world, Erin’s fourth Farideh novel takes us to Cormyr, immerses us in the setting, and in the end, does the thing we all want the most: makes us care more about the characters and their struggles than we did when we started.

If you were not already in love with these characters, or if you felt that they were somehow weird or alien to the world (and, let’s face it, that’s a possibility when you’re talking about a pair of tieflings and a cambion and a dragonborn as part of your cast), this book will convince you otherwise. Fire in the Blood takes excellent characters and weaves a wonderful tale with them at the heart of the Realms. It hooks you, and doesn’t let go. It makes you care about characters you thought you might hate, brings to a head a looming interpersonal conflict that’s been brewing since the beginning of the series, and brings to life a number of characters that have only been talked about in passing.

I’ll be honest and say that I had a small part in making sure that Erin had access to all the Cormyr lore she needed to make this story fit into the setting. But that isn’t why I love this book. It’s Erin’s skill in weaving that information into her ongoing narrative—and in making her characters a seamless part of the continuing tapestry that is the Realms—that is so masterful.

I’ve already read the book. Erin is sending me a copy as thanks for my help. And I will still be on line on Tuesday to make sure that my bookstore knows that people want to buy this book and put it in a place where they can find it. And pay them money, of course.

You should do that, too.

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  19:54:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And let me add Ed's enthusiastic endorsement of every word Garen Thal has posted here.
Get this book! The lady can write!!!
(And as for me, even if she couldn't, I'd be rushing to get a new Cormyr read. But as she can, I'll be rushing to buy four copies: a read-to-death, a keep-pristine on the shelf, a lend (knowing it may not come back), and a gift for someone I want to convert to love of the Realms.
And I happen to know Ed will be buying more than that, because he wants to give more gifts. ;} )
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  17:13:50  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you live in the Seattle area, come meet Erin (and bunch of game designers & authors) at AFK Elixers & Eatery next week (Oct 16, 5pm to Late) for the Fire in the Blood release party and get your book(s) signed!

https://www.facebook.com/events/956234447725790

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2014 :  21:34:36  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that you for the lovely words. And I really cannot overstate how much help GT and Ed were on getting the specifics right.

I thought I'd pop by here and add another link to the pile: In the frontmatter of FIRE IN THE BLOOD there's a family tree instead of a map. Only it's HALF the family tree I put together. Apparently the art director took one look at the whole thing and declined to figure out the complex geometry of fitting it all into the paperback down the road.

So here is a post with the rest of that family tree: http://slushlush.com/2014/10/family-tree/ (There are a few errors noted in the post)

Also, I got this fun review today, complete with animations! It's spoilery so if you want to avoid it, here's my favorite quote: "Evans is a total Forgotten Realms dork, and it shows in her continued commitment to the world of Faerun." http://dungeonsdonuts.tumblr.com/post/100095362834/my-review-of-erin-m-evans-fire-in-the-blood-buy

www.slushlush.com

Edited by - ErinMEvans on 16 Oct 2014 06:12:20
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2014 :  01:52:10  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought the kindle ebook version, but I've already read it (courtesy of Net Galley).

I loved it. It combines a vivid sense of the looming threat of doom from the remorselessly-advancing Shade army, crisis & political shenanigans in Cormyr, with absolutely fantastic characterization.

The interplay between the characters, and their dialogue, were my favourite things about the book. Erin is a great writer; I'm attempting to write something of my own, and Erin sets an awesome & inspiring benchmark.
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2014 :  18:04:39  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
:) Thank you, BenN

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  05:35:53  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too much work, can't wait until Sunday to go out early and buy the book and spend a lazy day reading the next chapter in Farideh and company's story. Been excited for this.
Go to Top of Page

rapunzel77
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2014 :  17:47:43  Show Profile Send rapunzel77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read the book. Its a lot of fun with lots of intrigue, blood/guts, and romance. The characters are put through some very dicey situations and I teared up too in some parts. Definitely check it out.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  00:38:13  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Picked my copy up at the B&N yesterday. :)
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2014 :  06:53:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine arrived in the post yesterday and I should be able to make a start if sleep deprivation and the demands of a certain ELB don't get in the way.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000