Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Maztican Elves
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2014 :  09:40:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have a vague recollection about elves in Maztica that cant or wont speak. Can anyone help me find it (every time i search a document for "elves" it always comes up with hundreds of "themselves").

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Xar
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2014 :  13:10:50  Show Profile Send Xar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Poscadar elves? From city of gold wont speak about their past empire.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2014 :  13:19:10  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe, i was expecting a reference to tribes of wild elves that refuse to speak to anyone and the regular faerunian elves are mightily confused about it.

Of course i could just be imagining the whole thing.

Off to read city of gold again, i found the Poscadar elves already but didnt think it was them.

Oh and thanks for the help

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 07 Oct 2014 13:19:28
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2014 :  14:07:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you've read the fan-work Elves of Faerûn, I did a piece on a theoretical new group called 'Brown Elves', which are a nomadic branch. I mention the Poscadar Elves in that. Just a mention, and lumped in 2 other groups (one from the Ruarin and one from Zakhara... which are probably part of the same, larger 'southern group' of dark-skinned (VERY tan) Elves.

All three are known for their xenophobia and reluctance to deal with outsiders... some more violently then others. I would hazard to guess they are really just a sub-group of Green (wild/Sylvan) Elves, or in 4e parlance, 'just elves' (as opposed to Eladrin).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Oct 2014 17:30:50
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2014 :  14:23:34  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well im leaning towards them being another type of being entirely that just happens to look like elves (convergent evolution or something like that). But its just an idea.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2014 :  17:36:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my 'Old West meets FR' game (which took place in Anchorome, which looked suspiciously like the Savage Baronies from Mystara ), I had three major elven 'nations' - the Vulcari, the Klingonesti, and the Romulari, which didn't get along so well.

Loosely based, of course, on the Vulcans, Romulans, and Klingons from Star Trek (of which I am a bg fan). I do indeed steal from everywhere. For example, the Klingonesti were the most warlike, but they had a high sense of honor.

Sadly, no-one every got to meet them, like so much else I had put into that short-lived campaign. The world just wasn't ready for gunslinger halflings.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Oct 2014 17:37:02
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  18:10:55  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
searching for _elves_ will help too (just replace the _ with an actual spacebar when typed)

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  08:45:05  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I mention the Poscadar Elves in that. Just a mention, and lumped in 2 other groups (one from the Ruarin and one from Zakhara... which are probably part of the same, larger 'southern group' of dark-skinned (VERY tan) Elves.

All three are known for their xenophobia and reluctance to deal with outsiders... some more violently then others.

Please elaborate.

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Well im leaning towards them being another type of being entirely that just happens to look like elves (convergent evolution or something like that).

Why? Because the Poscadari don't... uh... act like most elves?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  09:34:23  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was more to do with an alternate origin of maztica given that laerakond was there first and shifted away so maztica to me was created in a microsecond by ao and therefore everything on it must have arrived ir been created.

The creation myth of the maztican pantheon supported this theory in that they claim to have created the humans on maztica and a number of failed precursors.

So I did a magical variation if convergent evolution and so the maztican humans and elves are not the same as faerunian versions, they just happen to look alike.

It was detailed in issue 7 of the alternate dimensions fan mag. just some homebrew ideas based loosely on canon

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2015 :  18:04:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But Poscadar elves come from Poscadar, which is north of Maztica - almost entirely off the most northern map of the most northern adventure we got for that region.

In other words... Anchoromé.

Only humans are native to Maztica (and perhaps some scaleyfolk - there is mention of 'the ancients'), and not even all of them (at least two canon migrations from Kar-Turrans). Mazticans believe they came from 'the true World', and believe that their 'god' will come for them someday. Their pantheon is suspiciously very similar to the draconic one (with one exception) in make-up (but perhaps not in appearance). Drow and dwarves are most definitely interlopers.

I like to blame the Tlincallis (scorpionfolk) on Tiamat, since she created them in RW mythology, and blame that whole thing on her rivalry with Lolth ('Demon Queen' vs 'Devil Queen'). Basically, I just say Maztican drow worship Tiamat instead, which fits in with how I picture their pantheon (draconic), and she punished the 'bad ones' by turning them into Tlincallis (in imitation of what Lolth does with driders). Just as with the driders, they eventually became their own race.

In my (Old West) Anchoromé campaign, I had it where the Poscadar (southern) elves were more like DL (Krynn) Wood elves, with a heavy 'Native American' vibe going on, and the northern ones were more civilized and technologically advanced (built artificial limbs and what-not... and also had a monorail!). So they were all elves, but not like elves found elsewhere on Toril.

I am so hoping Maztica comes back, and they do it right this time. So much potential wasted on RW derivations. It could be AWESOME.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2015 :  11:36:49  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
In my (Old West) Anchoromé campaign, I had it where the Poscadar (southern) elves were more like DL (Krynn) Wood elves, with a heavy 'Native American' vibe going on, and the northern ones were more civilized and technologically advanced (built artificial limbs and what-not... and also had a monorail!). So they were all elves, but not like elves found elsewhere on Toril.
(...)

Ancient avariel legends say they went north and west, maybe they could be the advanced elves there. As for posdacar elves, I always thought of them with this 'native american' style, in special because of the picture in the Maztica map that shows a mohican-haired elf.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2015 :  19:07:08  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just been researching this.

From description, they seem like a sub-type of Sun Elf - given their bronze skin and the Realms wiki listing them as Eladrin.

I really like the idea of them being a type of Sun Elf and that's why the Elves of Evermeet didn't like dealing with them - as they'd recanted on their ways. Given the proximity of the "Native American" Elf to Evermeet in this photo - http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/5/59/Cordell's_Voyage.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140727151420 - it seems likely to me. Many of them may have held onto their ways though, and they are a great way of adding anachronisms to a campaign's version of Anarchromé just as elves introduced things like violins and ballet to a largely Medieval/Renaissance based Realms.

I also like the idea that Fae(so more so High Elves/Eladrin and a little less so Wood Elves, though they already have a more diverse range of skintones anyway) slowly adapted to human cultures and ethnicities over the few thousand years they've been around, since the Feywild/Faerie is a reflection of the real world.

This makes a lot of sense given different locations will have their own "Fae" and it seems odd that ethnicities would be restricted to humans in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2015 :  03:46:40  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roseweave

From description, they seem like a sub-type of Sun Elf - given their bronze skin

Given that Green elves are copper-ish to brown, they may fit.
quote:
and the Realms wiki listing them as Eladrin.

quote:
I really like the idea of them being a type of Sun Elf and that's why the Elves of Evermeet didn't like dealing with them - as they'd recanted on their ways. Given the proximity of the "Native American" Elf to Evermeet [..] it seems likely to me.

Isn't deviation from the Glorious Elven Ways (that ended up with them in Retreat) is enough of a reason to pout at them, no matter their ancestry?
Also, they may be close, but are elves of Evermeet great explorers? It seems to be contrary to the whole point.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2015 :  05:11:55  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i'm pretty sure Fae were just about everywhere on Toril before Fâerunian humans if only for boasting rights
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  20:33:58  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some green elves in Evermeet also have a "native american" feel, so maybe there IS migration from the western lands to Evermeet.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2015 :  23:50:21  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagine that there may be different varieties of Elves - quite possibly some Sun/High Elves living in and arounds these communities who villagers would go to with magical issues.
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  00:16:03  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trying to find a copy of "Gold and glory" which is no longer on the site, anyone have it?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  00:29:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Trying to find a copy of "Gold and glory" which is no longer on the site, anyone have it?

Are you referring to the FR15 Gold & Glory supplement? The pdf is sold via drivethrurpg.com, for $5. I don't know of any legally available downloads, other than that site.

Or you could hit up NobleKnight.com or eBay for a print copy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  01:30:27  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it used to be available for free, sucks you can't get it anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  03:10:16  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I imagine that there may be different varieties of Elves (...)

Remember there are variations among the pre-existent subraces, not exactly having to be other varieties, like the Zakharan elves (physically being like the Faerûnian Moon and Sun elves) or the Llewyr elves (physically sun elves, but similar to wood elves in behavior - although they look like gray elves from the 2e Monster Manual).

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2015 :  19:19:30  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It makes sense for the Poscadar to be something similar to Llewyr elves then maybe.

Also I immediately thought of Merrill from Dragon Age II, lol.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000