Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Marching Chants in the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2014 :  22:21:43  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Figured I'd post this topic for fun, and to advance my own designs for my home game. I did a quick search on cadence and didn't find anything, and I found one song at the Shrine of Milil that'll do in a pinch, but figured I'd ask in case anyone had any ideas, or we just wanted to have fun and be creative.

I have a random (hopefully non-combative) encounter planned for an upcoming session where my PC's will run into some traveling priests of Tyr and Tempus.
I cannot picture such a priesthood marching along silently or chanting somber tunes. I see them belting out cadences or singing ballads of great battles.
Do any such cadences or ballads exist in Realmslore? Or have you seen any homebrew ballads with a more Realmsian twist?
I'd love to incorporate them into my game if I can, even if any suggestions you have are tongue-in-cheek.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2014 :  22:26:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I don't know, but I've been told/that Elminster is mighty old!"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2014 :  22:28:57  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

"I don't know, but I've been told/that Elminster is mighty old!"

Perfect! LOL. Keep it going!

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  00:40:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I don't know, but its been said, the Simbul's carpet is very red."

- muttered by an over-zealous red wizard who was scrying on the Simbul's dressing chamber a few days before he was found turned inside out.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  04:14:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's managed to weave some witty chants and off-the-cuff ballads in most of his books. I distinctly recall several popping up in my re-reading of Elminster Must Die [as I was double checking that I didn't miss any music references during my earlier read-through for my musical Realmslore compilation].

That's probably the best place to start. Plus, I've discussed the topic several times with Ed here at Candlekeep. And his replies, along with my queries, are all archived in the "So Saith Ed" files.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  06:22:52  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first edition of RAS's Streams of Silver included in the front endpiece a poem about Mithral Hall which flowed a lot like a marching cadence. It featured the recurring line "where silver rivers run".

And the Felbarr dwarven party at the beginning of The Thousand Orcs cheerily sang a round-robin version of the drinking song "Upsen Downs", which also sounded like it could pass for a marching cadence.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  14:44:26  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all! (And feel free to keep it coming.) Sage, is there a "How to Search the So Saith Ed for Dummies" guide around? General forum searches I'm ok with, but I never seem to be able to find stuff there. I've got the downloaded files, and I then do a keyword (for example, Moonblade, or Cadence) search on the Index file, but I rarely come up with something unless I have a more specific pointer to look for such as your above post. Maybe my vocabulary needs a tweak.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  15:19:30  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I don't know the how or why, but old Manshoon can never die."

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  17:47:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

"I don't know the how or why, but old Manshoon can never die."

Brilliant! I was trying to think of one involving him!

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  19:55:20  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nicely done!
I have one, sorta based off a cadence a friend in the Air Force taught me (I'm not nearly as good at this as y'all, but hey, gotta try)

"Mama, mama, look at me, look what Tempus done for me. I'm all decked out in shiny mail, gonna get a flaming flail."

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  20:38:05  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"'ey, 'ey, Matron Baenre
Ye're gonna meet yer end, some day
Please lemme state these here facts
I'll lop off yer 'ead with this 'ere axe!"

"A good dark elf (A good dark elf)
Who's heard of that? (Who's heard of that?)
In the World Above (In the World Above)
Hey, send him back! (Hey, send him back!)"

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  20:48:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I don't know, but it's been said/the goddess Mystra won't stay dead!"

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000