Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What is a logical reason for low magic realms now?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2014 :  05:33:03  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, so 5e has the magic level tonned down even more, if we were looking for a reason for this to happen within the forgotten realms. What theories could you come up with, to match this new fate of magic?

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2014 :  13:25:56  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I wanted low magic level, I'd just say the Spellplague exploded or melted enough magic that it's semi rare now.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  00:33:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go with Mystra is reforming the weave, she is weakened by returning from the dead, having barely reassembled herself from when she was destroyed by Helm (yeah, see that.... I said destroyed by Helm.... this may not be Midnight). Thus things that mages would have previously been able to more capably manage (such as spells that they could cast and let the weave maintain) now require the mage to maintain concentration. It won't be until new "metamagic constructs" within this "operating system" can be created by enterprising wizards before they learn to do things like having spells that can be cast without concentration maintenance, or casting spells that can be hung awaiting triggering, etc.... Similar things can be said for other types of casting (i.e. mages must learn how to maintain a "flow" of energy to get better evocations, etc....).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  01:56:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In terms of magic items, Ed's Realms was always "low magic". His PC groups never had any uber items.

TSR/WotC made the Realms a high magic setting in terms of items. Given the Spellplague and the ravaging of the Weave, I think that there are many explanations that could be given for a reduction in the number of functioning magic items. It was one of my pet peeves regarding the Spellplague and the 4E Realms that there was no coherent explanation as to how magic items, hanging spells, portals, mythals etc survived that cataclysmic event. But I digress ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  03:19:53  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps there aren't so many magic items left in the Realms because Elminster fed most of them to the Simbul.......
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  04:14:16  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always run a low magic (item that is) campaign. I think it's almost believable to say "it's always been that way." Everything that has occurred in the past, the stories, the adventures...all the magic that was just lying around really wasn't as much as it was "rumored" to be.

It's so nice now to have every item you find actually be treasured now. I hated when my players got to the point where they found "just another +3 sword" in previous editions.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  04:35:22  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

It's so nice now to have every item you find actually be treasured now. I hated when my players got to the point where they found "just another +3 sword" in previous editions.

This a thousand times over. Third edition just got crazy with its magic item bloat.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000