Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Planeswalkers in Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Taliesen
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  20:37:33  Show Profile Send Taliesen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Something in the 1E 'Waterdeep and the North' supplement intrigues me. On page 29, under the Religion section, is the following paragraph:

A DM can thus use non-Realms gods in play even if he or she wants to use THE FORGOTTEN REALMSTM campaign setting. All will be tolerated here; many travelers from other planes trade here often. A DM should bear in mind, however, that trade is paramount in Waterdeep. Priesthoods that attempt to restrict trade, or expect large cash gifts to their deity, or who try to collect temple tithes through coercion, will not be popular.

Anyone got any more information on this sort of thing, and just how common it really is? How it might work, and what sort of things one might be likely to run into, as well as their reasons for being there? The section is specifically talking about foreign gods, so it crossed my mind that a preacher speaking of Pelor or some other Oerth god might make for some interesting scenarios, but I'm sure there's plenty of non-religious things that could happen with this particular hook as well.

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  23:06:16  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When necessary, I handle it as an intrigue plot point that is campaign specific in my Realms.

With respect to Waterdeep, The Masked Lords are certainly aware that this type of activity takes place but, in order to make it, in my opinion, realistic to my Realms, it is a secretive, black-market-type activity. I tried to imagine it from the apocalyptic perspective of movies like Independence Day or 2012. Sure, Faerunians know they're not alone, hence all of the Gods. However, it's entirely something else from the perspective of a normal, every-day person to suddenly face the reality of traffic with Gods or persons from other pantheons/planes/spheres. It may well result in fear of invasion, crises of faith, or the total breakdown of order, something any leadership would strive to avoid; especially leadership in Waterdeep where such breakdowns would most assuredly hamper the free trade.

I chose to handle it this way, if it became necessary in a campaign, based upon certain other lore. Elminster & Khelben the Younger are reputed to have visited other planes (or spheres depending upon one's perspective) with Khelben tY hypothesized to have settled in one. There is certainly cross-over in the other direction with spells and knowledge or we wouldn't have the iconic scene between Robillard and Harkle where they cite Bigby, Otiluke, Mordenkainen, et al. It stands to reason then, that if inhabitants from the Realms can cross to other worlds, why couldn't those other world's inhabitants cross into Realmspace from Grayspace or Krynnspace, or any other D&D world.

[Edit] But this type of activity is certainly NOT commonplace.

Good Hunting.

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"

Edited by - Wolfhound75 on 23 Sep 2014 23:09:41
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2014 :  23:21:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2E Spelljammer lore provided an answer, and 2E Planescape (being largely unconcerned with the Realms or any other Primes) sort of implicitly followed Spelljammers advice.

In short, a deity from another world/sphere/plane/Prime has no real power within another place occupied by other religions. However, visiting priests usually still have access to their divine spellcasting and granted powers - such power being provided by a local deity whose interests overlap the foreign deity being worshipped. This sort of thing apparent occurs all the time in frequently travelled worlds, a sort of cooperation between roughly similar deities which allows their believers (and portfolios) to be function more seamlessly.

Of course the visiting priest may be forced to tolerate endless proselytization and attempts at conversion, he may need to give some lip-service to a local deity (and clergy), he may be required to submit unusual tithes and offerings. Especially if his visit is prolongued - even gods get demanding when a houseguest has overstayed his welcome.

I imagine that Realmsian deities routinely monitor such interlopers, always on the lookout to nip potential threats to their divinity before things have much chance of becoming serious.

I imagine that Realmsian worshippers basically view foreign priests (and their foreign gods) with amusement, disdain, suspicion, or belligerence. Few would knowingly choose to threaten their souls with worshipping false powers and being judged False or Faithless by the deities who unambiguously rule their fates.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000