Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Ierithymbul?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  14:18:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just found Ierithymbul - a settlement - between Leilon and Westbridge in the FRIA; anyone know what it is, or where it is from?

Somehow I've managed to completely overlook it on all my maps.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  14:36:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like an old dwarven or maybe elven settlement.

The similarity between "thymbul" and Simbul leans more toward elven since Simbul was original a deity of the Yuir pantheon and so may have been some kind of fey creature (or an elf) or maybe a title of the elves.

I get no results from a search in any of my lore or google so its probably one of those places added by (i think) Eric Boyd in that patch he made for it. I'd ask him first.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  14:59:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's from the 'Wyrms of the North' write-up for Palarandusk.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2014 :  15:18:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is if its spelled correctly, i guess thats why i never found it with my search.

How on earth did you manage to remember that?

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2014 :  03:12:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks George!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2014 :  03:48:53  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

It is if its spelled correctly, i guess thats why i never found it with my search.

I remember which article touches on which region.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2014 :  04:51:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The secret to being a "loremaster" of the Realms has always come down to knowing where to look for stuff. That's usually a memory thing, but with regional stuff you can always narrow down the products to check out.

That and blind luck!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2014 :  13:03:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Its not spelled correctly - I used the speling that is on the FRIA map, which isn't the same as the one in the article...

Its Ieirithymbul.

This is why I research each location before I place it on the map - you'd be amazed how many mistakes have crept-in over the years.

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Sep 2014 13:04:22
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2014 :  19:02:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to the left and a little below Ieirithybul is something called the "Place of the Unicorn". Is it a church, or just a natural (holy) site? Where can info on that be found?

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2014 :  19:11:30  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Northern Journey mentions the Place of the Unicorn: http://www.nj-pbem.com/data/Places/PlaceoftheUnicorn.htm

It's also mentioned in a Wizards community post (with a 4e map): http://community.wizards.com/forum/dd-next-general-discussion/threads/4099286

As usual, they don't cite their sources. But it's possible that you'll recognize the map?
Go to Top of Page

Stormlord
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2014 :  19:45:55  Show Profile Send Stormlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The entry from Northern Journey appears to be lifted from Volo's Guide to the North (pg. 107, 2nd column, last paragraph).
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2014 :  21:17:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, okay... I thought it sounded familiar. THANKS

Puts it damn close to Phandalin.

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Sep 2014 21:18:03
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000